29th Pick: Who Should the Flyers Draft?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So we have a thread for the 7th overall pick & an all purpose draft thread but we barely talk about the other 1st round pick that we have. In a pretty deep draft, we can grab a solid player with this pick and there are some really good players that are available.

Who do you guys like? Lets post some videos, and talk about some of these guys.

Some guys that could or should be around at 29/30.

Oliver Kylington
Noah Juulsen
Jake Debrusk
Denis Guryanov
Ilya Samsonov
Gabriel Carlsson
Jonas Siegenthaler
Brandon Carlo
Jeremy Bracco
Daniel Sprong
Filip Ahl
Brock Boeser (UND commit)

Do we go with the homerun pick? Should we take a safer player? Powerforward? Skilled winger? Big shutdown defenseman? Small puckmover? Should we take a chance on a European or stick with the NA players?

If mods think this should be in the all purpose thread thats alright. Just thought that, that thread seems to be taken over by the top pick so much that the other first talk gets pushed aside alot.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think it really depends on which position is drafted at #7. If they take Provorov I would not take a second defenseman. I'd be looking at DeBrusk or one of the American forwards of Greenway, Bittner, Yan, or White. If they go forward at #7, I'd still look at these gusy but also throw Juulsen, Carlo, and Carrlsson in there.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'd go with either Kylington, Bracco, or Carlo. TBH I haven't looked into what most of those guys abilities/ceilings are.

Another shameless plug for drafting Christian Jaros in one of the middle rounds :handclap: 29/30 is too early for him though

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
IF we go FWD with #7, I'd like to think we'd go D at 29/30.

So my choices for that would be Juulsen, Carlo, Kylington or Carlsson, no particular order.

IF we go D with the #7, I'd like to see a FWD taken at 29/30.

Choices being; Debrusk, Guryanov, Sprong or Boeser, no particular order.

I think we go GK in the 3rd rd.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
I thnk there top 3 choices at 7th are:

1.Barzel
2.Provorov
3.Crouse

If they garb a forward at 7. They will take a D at 29/30 and vice-versa.

I think there top 3 in that slot are:

1.Debrusk
2.A sleeper/ Relative unknown but fast-riser
3.Carlo

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd say hope for one of Sprong, Guryanov, Bracco, Kylington, Boeser and Chabot.

In other words, go for the highly skilled, productive guy who falls in this deep draft and whom you'd likely never get a chance to draft that late in the first round in almost any other year.

I want to avoid the big guy who "projects" and the guy who suddenly put up big numbers as an overager.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Im starting to become interested in Brock Boeser.

Seems smart and has a shot.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
I'd say hope for one of Sprong, Guryanov, Bracco, Kylington, Boeser and Chabot.

In other words, go for the highly skilled, productive guy who falls in this deep draft and whom you'd likely never get a chance to draft that late in the first round in almost any other year.

I want to avoid the big guy who "projects" and the guy who suddenly put up big numbers as an overager.

That makes sense, i'm just not sure there's a "faller" in that spot. I think your likely to score a player like that in the mid-late teens. That said, every draft has surprises and Giroux went 22nd, so anything can happen.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There's probably 5 defensemen after the top 3 that I would take ahead of Carlo if given the opportunity.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There's probably 5 defensemen after the top 3 that I would take ahead of Carlo if given the opportunity.

I like what he's got in terms of sign and defensive ability. He's not a top pair guy by any means, but especially if they are getting rid of Schenn, he provides size, RHD, and physicality that will be missed if Schenn goes. A pairing of Morin and Carlo could be very difficult for opponents down the line. Would have physicality and size from both, maybe a little offense from Morin and solid defense from Carlo.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I like what he's got in terms of sign and defensive ability. He's not a top pair guy by any means, but especially if they are getting rid of Schenn, he provides size, RHD, and physicality that will be missed if Schenn goes. A pairing of Morin and Carlo could be very difficult for opponents down the line. Would have physicality and size from both, maybe a little offense from Morin and solid defense from Carlo.
He's not bad I just like other players more.
I'd go Boeser. So much offensive upside.
Don't think he's going to make it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Boeser or DeBrusk if we take a dman at 7.

Juulsen if we take a forward at 7.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
I'm surprised no one is thinking goalie. Are there no decent prospects? Cause this team needs to be looking for someone to step up in two years (if no injuries).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That makes sense, i'm just not sure there's a "faller" in that spot. I think your likely to score a player like that in the mid-late teens. That said, every draft has surprises and Giroux went 22nd, so anything can happen.

My hope is one of those skill guys falls. It's quite possible with the depth in this first round.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
chances of them packaging this pick with a Grossmann/LSchenn for a LW?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'm surprised no one is thinking goalie. Are there no decent prospects? Cause this team needs to be looking for someone to step up in two years (if no injuries).

I'd certainly be looking at a goalie with our second round pick. You are right, we need to be trying to find a goalie of the future.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
chances of them packaging this pick with a Grossmann/LSchenn for a LW?

I'd be interested in looking into trading the pick. If we could trade it for 2 seconds, or even maybe use it to try to jettison Lecavalier or another cap disaster I'd be interested.

If we keep it, we should draft a forward because we do well with forwards in the late first round.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Glad to see Boeser getting some respect! He's been on my radar all year and if they traded back for a really nice package and took him with the 1st pick I wouldn't be upset (I know I'm in the minority here). Other than him, I'm loving Chabot if he is still around, or anyone from the following list:
Konecny
Dergachyov
Roy
Speers
White
Sprong

I think Kylington could slip a bit and may be around for the next pick. if not, that;s fine too. There is a great variety of players out there this year.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I would probably go
Guryanov
Boeser
White
Juulsen
in no particular order.

I'd stay away from Kylington. Someone did a study that showed that people who fall in drafts like him end up not doing much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad