Post-Game Talk: 29 November 2014 - YOUR Nashville Predators vs. the Columbus BUGS 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
LfoOXpe.gif

So how is this not all over NHL tonight? Just embarrasses the BJer. :handclap::yo::nod:

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Preds are #2 in the league right now (including impact of GP/ROW) tied with 5 others @34 points and we have 1-2 games in hand over the teams in #3-6. I thought I was being bullish on our team by putting them at #4 in the division; good job guys.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Pp sucks. Bad spacing. Perimeter passing. The point shots are too far back. The slot/middle player on the umbrella scheme is not getting open and not causing the opposition to react to him at all. Just so much bad ....

But man....

This team toasted the Jackets at even strength and from a possession standpoint. This home stand was dominant for the Predators.

We played three teams in the bottom half of the standings plus the Kings, including the teams with the two worst records. Against those teams, we went to OT or SO three times, one the last one in the last two minutes of regulation, couldn't manage a multi goal win nor a PP goal. We had a huge advantage in number of shots on goal but many of those presented no challenge for McElhinney. If this is dominant play and we're eeking out one goal wins against the bottom teams in the league, then I fear for later this week when we play teams in the top third of the league.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I have graphics ready for Tuesday's thread. (Thanks Pred33)I had signed up for it but I can send them to jwhouk to continue the mojo.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
We played three teams in the bottom half of the standings plus the Kings, including the teams with the two worst records. Against those teams, we went to OT or SO three times, one the last one in the last two minutes of regulation, couldn't manage a multi goal win nor a PP goal. We had a huge advantage in number of shots on goal but many of those presented no challenge for McElhinney. If this is dominant play and we're eeking out one goal wins against the bottom teams in the league, then I fear for later this week when we play teams in the top third of the league.

Again always looking at the negative side- didn't you also fear playing those teams early in the season?? We are 2-1-1 combined vs Blues and Blackhawks with 3 of the 4 on the road. Also 2-0 combined vs Vancouver and LA. And a 12-3-2 record vs the Western Conference- I don't care if every one of them was a 1 goal win, that is impressive..

Hey, the wheels may fall off- who knows? But we have been pretty dang good against the elite teams so far....

And I don't have to tell you but playing those "bad" teams is no guarantee- Buffalo just swept a home and home with Montreal. Pittsburgh lost to Carolina, NYR lost at home to Edmonton, etc, etc, etc.

Any win in this league is a good win.......

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

The biggest thing I have noticed from this season is the team appears to play to the level of the team they are playing (with the exception of the Toronto game where they wanted to show off). They were even with the Blackhawks and Blues in all 4 of those games, and even with the Kings in that game as well. On the flip side they seemed to drop to the level of stinkage of play when it came to playing the Panthers and Oilers, but they still beat them.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
We(edit starts here) won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won won

In all seriousness, we did beat 3 of the worst teams in the league, but as long as we are winning it's still all chill. I actually don't care if we don't win. We are playing great 5 on 5 hockey, better than most teams in the league right now. Goalies just seem to play lights out against us. Yet we have the best Goaltender in the league so it's no biggie.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN

The Preds haven't had an easy schedule though. There are plenty of flaws, and I've pointed out several.

But ....

All metrics and even advanced stats shed a favorable light on this team outside of special teams.

5v5 and possession play is tremendous.

Special teams are an enormous struggle.

The pass the eye test in a major way. Compete level is up. Forechecking is strong. Control of game flow is persistent.

Seriously, is this the drum you beat 24/7? It is almost unbearable.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
In all seriousness, we did beat 3 of the worst teams in the league, but as long as we are winning it's still all chill. I actually don't care if we don't win. We are playing great 5 on 5 hockey, better than most teams in the league right now. Goalies just seem to play lights out against us. Yet we have the best Goaltender in the league so it's no biggie.

Yep we did. But as another poster pointed out, Montreal lost to one of the worst teams in the league - twice. Pittsburgh lost to one too. And the Rangers. Losing such a game or not winning by multiple goals does not mean you're a bad hockey team.

Goalies are playing lights out against us because we're not doing a good enough job of screening. I expect that to continue to improve.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Pointed out in the OF303 thread: Relentlessness and persistence covers a lot of sins in this league.

Trotz may have called it "lunch pail", but in this case it's the "keep on jamming."

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Watch #47 - Prout. He closes the gap on Forsberg, assumes he'll just continue down the wing and turns his back on him. Wow - talk about a pylon play....

Yeah 47 definitely committed to the wrong side, but the entry into the zone ws awesome.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

Agree with several points, but the NHL is a league of surprising parity in individual contests (big reason why I never bet on hockey). Look at the performance of some of the other top teams this past week. PIT split a two-game set against the Canes and MTL lost twice to BUF. ESPN has us #1 in their power rankings right now; I don't think we're that good, but I do think we're in the top 5-10 in the league. I put a lot of faith in ES metrics, and we are exceptional at even strength.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
we all know ESPN's weekly 'power rankings' are total horse crap and have little to do with reality. honestly there are 5 or more teams much stronger personnel wise than us, maybe 10. but i do feel we potentially truly are a top ten type team. stay healthy, improve our problem areas, and this is a team no one wants to draw in the playoffs.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
we all know ESPN's weekly 'power rankings' are total horse crap and have little to do with reality. honestly there are 5 or more teams much stronger personnel wise than us, maybe 10. but i do feel we potentially truly are a top ten type team. stay healthy, improve our problem areas, and this is a team no one wants to draw in the playoffs.

I still think we need an elite centerman, but that's like :deadhorse territory

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Just curious who you're thinking about?

Individual talent is wonderful but they have to work within the team concept and while our talent may not put us there, the team concept is as good as anyone around the league. Team that with the best goalie in the league right now and I'd have to say I'm pretty happy.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Individual talent is wonderful but they have to work within the team concept and while our talent may not put us there, the team concept is as good as anyone around the league. Team that with the best goalie in the league right now and I'd have to say I'm pretty happy.

I kind of agree with this- personnel wise, if you are talking only forwards, then yes, there are several teams better than us- but if you are talking the whole roster, including defensmen and goaltending, then its a different story- we can probably stack up with just about anyone.........

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

I think the following are superior teams regardless of what the current standings say:

PIT
STL
CHI
ANA
LA

I don't think that's a knock against NSH really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad