GDT: #29: FLYERS at Flames, Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2018, 8:30 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Edmonton is riding a hot goalie in Koskinen, 9-3-1 .929, 30 years old, last 4 seasons in KHL.
Koskinen is 5-1-1 under Hitchcock.
Edmonton is notorious for underachieving, so bringing in a new coach made a difference, especially one who establishes structure.

Is Calgary coaching or trading a major piece (Hamilton) for Lindholm (31g 16-18 34) and Hanifin?
Peters has made a difference, but this is a team that has underachieved, 97, 77, 97, 84 the last four years. Is it the new coach or the inevitable bounceback?

Flyers don't lack structure (maybe too much?), they're solid at ES, the PK has turned around (when goalies make routine stops), the PP is still a mess (and isn't that Knob's domain?).
So what conceivable coaching change is going to make up for bad goalie play?
And what roster change will make a difference unless you trade Voracek, Ghost or Simmonds (the market for Weal is a bit weak).

This is why Fletcher is in no hurry, doing something for the sake of placating fans won't make a difference, and a month from now the "fire Gordon" string will be in it's fourth iteration.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Considering Hakstol has pissed away seasons with above average goaltending, nah, it's safe to say Hakstol pissed the season away. Especially since he hasn't corrected a single one of his flaws or added any strengths.

Hakstol is a dreadful failure. It's not about the alternatives at this point, it's about whether years of failure is acceptable. You obviously think it is.

An interim is better solely for not being Hakstol. Solely for signalling something new will be happening. For signalling failure isn't embraced.

The only season the Flyers had average goaltending was 2015-16, and that wasn't a very good team, Hextall had stripped most of the veterans by then.
2015-16: Flyers .920/League average .915
2016-17: .905/.913
2017-18: .907/.912
2018-19: .884/.908

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Edmonton is riding a hot goalie in Koskinen, 9-3-1 .929, 30 years old, last 4 seasons in KHL.
Koskinen is 5-1-1 under Hitchcock.
Edmonton is notorious for underachieving, so bringing in a new coach made a difference, especially one who establishes structure.

Is Calgary coaching or trading a major piece (Hamilton) for Lindholm (31g 16-18 34) and Hanifin?
Peters has made a difference, but this is a team that has underachieved, 97, 77, 97, 84 the last four years. Is it the new coach or the inevitable bounceback?

Flyers don't lack structure (maybe too much?), they're solid at ES, the PK has turned around (when goalies make routine stops), the PP is still a mess (and isn't that Knob's domain?).
So what conceivable coaching change is going to make up for bad goalie play?
And what roster change will make a difference unless you trade Voracek, Ghost or Simmonds (the market for Weal is a bit weak).

This is why Fletcher is in no hurry, doing something for the sake of placating fans won't make a difference, and a month from now the "fire Gordon" string will be in it's fourth iteration.

Goalies do well under Hitch. It's not luck. Gee, it's like coaching is really important.

Why do you support failure?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only season the Flyers had average goaltending was 2015-16, and that wasn't a very good team, Hextall had stripped most of the veterans by then.
2015-16: Flyers .920/League average .915
2016-17: .905/.913
2017-18: .907/.912
2018-19: .884/.908

It's super fascinating that you began cherry picking stats openly.

We get it, you support failure.

YZ77

Aug 13, 2010
Flyers should call somebody up after this road trip. Like maybe a D to at least put pressure on the guys that are there to step up their game. D has been largely atrocious this year.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It has been fun watching Edmonton mishandling all those high draft picks, building the roster the wrong way, wasting all the talent but the day they got Hitch it was obvious that the results would come by only a matter of time.

The Flyers roster is good, maybe even borderline great. Noone there to put the pieces together.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Flyers should call somebody up after this road trip. Like maybe a D to at least put pressure on the guys that are there to step up their game. D has been largely atrocious this year.

It's not going to happen until Hak is fired. If he is, the next coach will likely scratch MacDonald after watching him for 1 period and call up Myers before the 1st game is even over. A new coach might also try something radical like pairing up Provorov - Gudas for the first time in their careers. Wild stuff I know.

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
I threw Vancouver in below us as well. We have 4 games in hand on them and are 2 point behind them.

It's hard to believe we are 4 point out of a playoff spot while being this bad. But I do expect the Pens to turn it on at some point. They always do.

Yeah I noticed Vancouver was at 32 games or something. I figure we'll pass them most likely or they'll pass us in the jack Hughes sweepstakes. Depends how you look at it haha

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Edmonton has a lot of high end talent, it's been misplayed, but even Larrsson for Hall ignores that Larsson is a solid NHL player, just not the same value as Hall. When you get that many high picks, even a blind monkey could amass talent.

McDavid #1
Draisaitl #3
Nugent-Hopkins #1
Klefbom #19
Nurse #7
Larrson #4

That's not a bad nucleus of 23-26 year old players.
A competent GM just has to add depth around them, and getting Koskinen to come over has been key, since even Hitchcock doesn't seem capable of salvaging Talbot's career.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not going to happen until Hak is fired. If he is, the next coach will likely scratch MacDonald after watching him for 1 period and call up Myers before the 1st game is even over. A new coach might also try something radical like pairing up Provorov - Gudas for the first time in their careers. Wild stuff I know.

We have a new defensive coach, and my suspicion is that he's trying out different combos, I doubt Hakstol suddenly decided he wanted to see Ghost - Sanheim together.
And watching Myers in the AHL, he's not the answer right now.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This is clearly all Varones fault...can we call up someone else, McDonald? Im sure this will make a world of difference.

Reactions: Foggy14

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
We have a new defensive coach, and my suspicion is that he's trying out different combos, I doubt Hakstol suddenly decided he wanted to see Ghost - Sanheim together.
And watching Myers in the AHL, he's not the answer right now.

They have tried almost any possible combo. It's not working.

The are lacking at least 1 defensive D in the top-4. That guy will have to be added via trade.
Myers is the closest to being NHL ready but more of what they already have in Ghost and Sanheim.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Call NAK up and put him on the 1st or 2nd line with significant ice time, just to see if something sparks. That's the type of thing we never see in the Hextall - Hakstol era. No balls whatsoever.

JVR - Giroux - NAK
Lindblom - Couturier - Konecny
Voracek - Patrick
- Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Weise

Suddenly, you have 4 lines with quality duos relative to the competition they will face.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Uh, NAK is not a top 6 forward right now, he's playing better since he went down, but I don't see someone in the same league with Lindblom for example. I have no problem bringing him up, but don't expect miracles from him.

I do think Fletcher will start bringing players up to audition, watching Varone, he looks as good as Weal, which makes Weal expendable.
Given the additions to the roster next year (Frost, Vorobyev, Myers, Friedman) it won't surprise me if Fletcher is looking to move some of the bottom of the roster to add picks that he can then swap for better fits next year. So if Varone and NAK can fit in, you can move Weal, Weise, Simmonds. If Friedman is ready you can move Hagg or Gudas. [Lethera, AMac are probably unmoveable].

DaphneLion

Apr 8, 2018
Pennsylvania
IMG_1752.PNG

Our schedule for the rest of the month isn't pretty. We could easily lose 6 or 7 of our next 10. I just hope the losses are all blowouts so that Hakslop's out as soon as possible

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Edmonton has a lot of high end talent, it's been misplayed, but even Larrsson for Hall ignores that Larsson is a solid NHL player, just not the same value as Hall. When you get that many high picks, even a blind monkey could amass talent.

McDavid #1
Draisaitl #3
Nugent-Hopkins #1
Klefbom #19
Nurse #7
Larrson #4

That's not a bad nucleus of 23-26 year old players.
A competent GM just has to add depth around them, and getting Koskinen to come over has been key, since even Hitchcock doesn't seem capable of salvaging Talbot's career.

Oh, so you admit that misusing a roster is a huge issue?

Boy do we have things to tell you about Hakstol. You may even have to concede he isn't the greatest coach in the league.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fantasy land again, "hire Queennville". Uh, has he given any indication he wants to take over a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs this year?
Why would he be in a rush? Like he might miss out on the Flyers? Only to have his choice of situations? While he's making $6M?
Heck, Q might be waiting to see if the Pens fire Sullivan, for all we know.

Right now it's Hakstol, Gordon or Knob. So what's the rush?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fantasy land again, "hire Queennville". Uh, has he given any indication he wants to take over a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs this year?
Why would he be in a rush? Like he might miss out on the Flyers? Only to have his choice of situations? While he's making $6M?

You get rid of the proven failure. Why are you so eager to keep a failure in place?

Reactions: Adtar02

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A really great first move by Fletcher, after firing Hakstol, would be to move Simmonds for younger 5v5 play-driver with speed to balance out the top 9. Kasperi Kapanen would be an amazing addition. He just does not fit with this roster anymore. I will miss him but it's time to move on.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004

I cant....Toby Flenderson over here. Every time...I feel like Michael Scott.

tumblr_nt1nttZJEX1u69ka3o1_500.png

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's super fascinating that you began cherry picking stats openly.

We get it, you support failure.

Cherry picking? Season S% totals is "cherry picking."
You said they had above average goal tending.
As usual, you made an unsubstantiated statement, I provided legitimate stats, you then try to CYA by claiming "cherypicking."

Reactions: JXC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad