Post-Game Talk: 29 > 97

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Can't believe Holland is now leeching off Chia's hard work. I mean, look at the lineup. The only difference is getting rid of Lucic and getting Neal and Smith. The rest of the team is still Chia's boys which includes guys like Koskinen and Bear, and dating back to the MacT era, Nurse and Draisaitl. Timing is everything. All a GM needs to do is get on board at the right time and make some tweaks and now he's a genius.

TMac and Chia should have a nod for good drafting. MacT was just not bright enough for everything else, and Chia vas close to mentally gone, with how bad he managed the cap and playermanagement. He destroyed his own momtentum - all by himself. At the same time he did trades to get lower at cap, then the day efter he wrote new contracts with to much dollars again to create a new capcrunch, like time to get your head examinated.

Thats the biggest reason Chia failed. And he flollowed his path so hard, it looked like he on purpose wanted to destroy the team.

Reactions: Aerchon

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
The corsi percentages were brutal, but a win is a win. I didn't get a chance to catch the game, but anytime the Pens get beat is a great thing to me. Coming home to face Tipp's old team should be interesting. Six out of the eight teams in the Pacific have winning records. Tough division this year.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Entertaining game. Glad we came out with the W. Sometimes the goalie can steal you some points. Smith played a great game. He wanted/needed a good comeback game after his last start. The shot totals were flattering as close to half of the pens shots were from way out with no one in front, but we don't get any pts without Smith's performance tonight.

Cave channeling his inner McDavid. He had a great game.

Great way to end the road trip especially with it being a morning/afternoon game.

I do not care for the title of this thread.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Entertaining game. Glad we came out with the W. Sometimes the goalie can steal you some points. Smith played a great game. He wanted/needed a good comeback game after his last start. The shot totals were flattering as close to half of the pens shots were from way out with no one in front, but we don't get any pts without Smith's performance tonight.

Cave channeling his inner McDavid. He had a great game.

Great way to end the road trip especially with it being a morning/afternoon game.

I do not care for the title of this thread.

I've watched this episode many times.

Oilers vrs Coyotes except this time the Oilers were the Coyotes and the Penguins were the Oilers. :)

Agreed on the last sentence. Everyone wants to be the hot take guy. :D

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He’s the leading point producer for Oiler defensemen.

They’re 10-4-1 and you’re questioning the coaching staffs use of Klefbom?

Tell us who are the 2 better options and why they are better than Klefbom

Klefbom has been brutal on the PP the last few years. Once upon a time, he was the better option because Sekera couldn't shoot worth a damn unless someone hung shin pads on the net. Now, all Klefbom does is fumble passes, miscues, or telegraph every move on the PP. And when he tries to shoot, its a muffin to the crest or wide. Guy just doesn't make quick enough decisions.

Sure he's collecting 2ndary assists now and then but when you have better options in Bear, or even Nurse, why not try to...you know...get better?

Reactions: McXLNC97 and TKB21

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
TMac and Chia should have a nod for good drafting. MacT was just not bright enough for everything else, and Chia vas close to mentally gone, with how bad he managed the cap and playermanagement. He destroyed his own momtentum - all by himself. At the same time he did trades to get lower at cap, then the day efter he wrote new contracts with to much dollars again to create a new capcrunch, like time to get your head examinated.

Thats the biggest reason Chia failed. And he flollowed his path so hard, it looked like he on purpose wanted to destroy the team.

The Strome trade and the Manning trade were so bizarre and I believe intentional.

Chiarelli made many mistakes in hindsight but most of his trades had a clear logic to them. A pattern. A plan. Get bigger. Stronger. Harder to play against. Emphasize center depth. Things he was known for in Boston and had success with....

Pure speculation on my part but i think Chiarelli knew he was done. I think he wanted to hurt Edmonton on the way out and made those trades to intentionally sink the team. I think he knew the Oilers management was borderline Pejorative Slured and even as bad those trades were could get sign off from the dummies.

Or it could just be he knew he was done if the Oilers didn't make the playoffs and just panicked.

As bad as Chiarelli ended up being it really paints a terrible picture for everyone else in the organization. Those last moves are so obviously bad there is no way they should have gotten any traction period.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom has been brutal on the PP the last few years. Once upon a time, he was the better option because Sekera couldn't shoot worth a damn unless someone hung shin pads on the net. Now, all Klefbom does is fumble passes, miscues, or telegraph every move on the PP. And when he tries to shoot, its a muffin to the crest or wide. Guy just doesn't make quick enough decisions.

Sure he's collecting 2ndary assists now and then but when you have better options in Bear, or even Nurse, why not try to...you know...get better?

Cap management.

This isn't some strange conspiracy. Player usage and cap management go hand in hand.

Puljujarvi usage.

Nurse usage.

Bear usage.

All things being "close" to equal you always play/give PP opportunities to your signed players.

I think Bear and Nurse would both be better than Klefbom on the top unit. But Klefbom does well enough that I don't mind if he gets all the prime time/opportunities.

Nurse and Bears next contract are directly proportional to the points they get this year. Sign Nurse long term in the offseason and I'm sure we see him on the top PP next year.

Bear will be on a bridge deal that expires while still an RFA I think. Too big a risk but I would certainly be tempted to sign him long term.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
The du

The ducks were the lowest scoring team in the nhl last season and have virtually the exact same forward core. No they are not equal.
If you take into account our bottom six vs theirs, it's practically even. Both the Oilers and Ducks will be in the thick of things due to similar reasons. Difference is that we got McD and Draisaitl to even out the scoring vs the Ducks bottom six.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

Bear will get in soon. He is already on the PP2. If he goes in on PP1 they need to shift everything for a right shot D. Its clipping along pretty well lately so dont see it happening.

Also don't see Nurse on the PP1 at all this year. I have a feeling they want him to play a more defensive role so as to not pad his stats in a contract year.

Oct 15, 2008
Nice. Where at? What were they up to?
giphy.gif

Bones2079

Oct 2, 2019
Tier 3 Fan
Can't believe Holland is now leeching off Chia's hard work. I mean, look at the lineup. The only difference is getting rid of Lucic and getting Neal and Smith. The rest of the team is still Chia's boys which includes guys like Koskinen and Bear, and dating back to the MacT era, Nurse and Draisaitl. Timing is everything. All a GM needs to do is get on board at the right time and make some tweaks and now he's a genius.
Put down the pipe man....there is so much wrong in this post I can't even start to try and figure it out..

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Re-watched the game this morning and while they gave up over 50 shots to the Pens many of them were nothing shots fired from 40-50 feet out and handled cleanly by Smith. Our defensive schemes when executed is designed to entice opposition into taking low percentage shots instead of forcing pucks into high danger areas. Ive noticed this in several games where we give up a lot of low percentage shots that should easily be handled by a competent goaltender and we do this in order to better protect the high scoring areas. It’s the reason we tend to give up 30+ shots a game.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The Strome trade and the Manning trade were so bizarre and I believe intentional.

Chiarelli made many mistakes in hindsight but most of his trades had a clear logic to them. A pattern. A plan. Get bigger. Stronger. Harder to play against. Emphasize center depth. Things he was known for in Boston and had success with....

Pure speculation on my part but i think Chiarelli knew he was done. I think he wanted to hurt Edmonton on the way out and made those trades to intentionally sink the team. I think he knew the Oilers management was borderline ******ed and even as bad those trades were could get sign off from the dummies.

Or it could just be he knew he was done if the Oilers didn't make the playoffs and just panicked.

As bad as Chiarelli ended up being it really paints a terrible picture for everyone else in the organization. Those last moves are so obviously bad there is no way they should have gotten any traction period.

Chiarelli is a man who is close to obsessed with one type of player, a type he liked, and seems like everyone out of the Boston culture likes (Benning for ex.) Big, strong, somewhat intimidating. Larsson, Maroon, kept Poilout for long ex. (btw what the HELL happened with Poilout?? Now retired, but he was a big strong good player, who could skate really fast! )Everything went well, until the year after when they didnt go to playoff. That summer (-18 I think)he did nothing at all to add to the team, Close to littterary nothing, At, All.

He said earlier he wanted his own players to grow. But they didnt, it took longer time than Chiarelli could belive. Then when Puljujärvi still had trouble, and Yamamoto didnt developed, Chiarelli maybe felt he was f***ed.
Then the panic moves started. Its here where a FBI research could begin. I really want to dig in here of what happend.
upload_2019-11-3_19-31-3.png

HE mentioned that the D was a problem without defencemen cannot move the puck.
But just gave up after the shit trade for that ottawa D I even dont remember his name of.
upload_2019-11-3_19-31-5.png

I actually belive Chiarelli wanted Manning, because the only thing he had was his flavour of skillset ; big, strong and intimidating. For Chiarelli thats enough. Its here I really has to think, does he really need his head examinated? Or is it a aftergift for the Bostonculture? Or, rally, did he want to destroy for the team??
The Koskinen signing is the one that I could imagine he wanted to destroy for the team, and get fired. But wouldnt it be easier to say he wanted to just quit? Not to make a bad figure of himself?
He didnt show up for a presser either. That also spoke for he maybe wanted to tear the team apart to get fired.
But the other thing is that I think Katz was pissed, and asked Chiarelli to just go away, and dont speak. Thats my guess.

That man is really a mystery, How can you be that one-eyed, that you just want big? Its baffling.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Re-watched the game this morning and while they gave up over 50 shots to the Pens many of them were nothing shots fired from 40-50 feet out and handled cleanly by Smith. Our defensive schemes when executed is designed to entice opposition into taking low percentage shots instead of forcing pucks into high danger areas. Ive noticed this in several games where we give up a lot of low percentage shots that should easily be handled by a competent goaltender and we do this in order to better protect the high scoring areas. It’s the reason we tend to give up 30+ shots a game.

Pens game was I thiugt worst in awhile what danger chances they gave up agree though that most Tipp games are what you say lots of low danger shots outside that inflate shot totals

would becurious what High danger chances were last night any one have a number???

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Pure speculation on my part but i think Chiarelli knew he was done. I think he wanted to hurt Edmonton on the way out and made those trades to intentionally sink the team. I think he knew the Oilers management was borderline ******ed and even as bad those trades were could get sign off from the dummies.

They're not really that bizarre at all.

Strome couldn't buy a goal and in general the depth scoring was killing the team. He realized too late that he had gutted the winger depth and speed of the team .

It was a desperate reaction to the realization that the team is indeed actually too slow.

Manning/Petrovic were supposed to cover for Klefbom/Russell for a short stretch, because the team was actually doing really well prior to the injuries to those two. The thought was to ride out the period until Klef/Russell got back with two veteran-ish D.

Now he's a moron for getting himself into these situations to begin with, but I actually predicted he would start making trades like that once he got desperate, it didn't surprise me at all.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They're not really that bizarre at all.

Strome couldn't buy a goal and in general the depth scoring was killing the team. He realized too late that he had gutted the winger depth and speed of the team .

It was a desperate reaction to the realization that the team is indeed actually too slow.

Manning/Petrovic were supposed to cover for Klefbom/Russell for a short stretch, because the team was actually doing really well prior to the injuries to those two. The thought was to ride out the period until Klef/Russell got back with two veteran-ish D.

Now he's a moron for getting himself into these situations to begin with, but I actually predicted he would start making trades like that once he got desperate, it didn't surprise me at all.

*Puts player between Lucic and Puljujarvi*

"Why aren't you scoring?!?"

Classic Chia and McLellan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad