Post-Game Talk: 29 > 97

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Chiarelli is a man who is close to obsessed with one type of player, a type he liked, and seems like everyone out of the Boston culture likes (Benning for ex.) Big, strong, somewhat intimidating. Larsson, Maroon, kept Poilout for long ex. (btw what the HELL happened with Poilout?? Now retired, but he was a big strong good player, who could skate really fast! )Everything went well, until the year after when they didnt go to playoff. That summer (-18 I think)he did nothing at all to add to the team, Close to littterary nothing, At, All.

He said earlier he wanted his own players to grow. But they didnt, it took longer time than Chiarelli could belive. Then when Puljujärvi still had trouble, and Yamamoto didnt developed, Chiarelli maybe felt he was ****ed.
Then the panic moves started. Its here where a FBI research could begin. I really want to dig in here of what happend.View attachment 272591
HE mentioned that the D was a problem without defencemen cannot move the puck.
But just gave up after the **** trade for that ottawa D I even dont remember his name of.
View attachment 272593
I actually belive Chiarelli wanted Manning, because the only thing he had was his flavour of skillset ; big, strong and intimidating. For Chiarelli thats enough. Its here I really has to think, does he really need his head examinated? Or is it a aftergift for the Bostonculture? Or, rally, did he want to destroy for the team??
The Koskinen signing is the one that I could imagine he wanted to destroy for the team, and get fired. But wouldnt it be easier to say he wanted to just quit? Not to make a bad figure of himself?
He didnt show up for a presser either. That also spoke for he maybe wanted to tear the team apart to get fired.
But the other thing is that I think Katz was pissed, and asked Chiarelli to just go away, and dont speak. Thats my guess.

That man is really a mystery, How can you be that one-eyed, that you just want big? Its baffling.
4mill for probably one of the best goalies in the league right now doesn't seem like destroying the team to me.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
4mill for probably one of the best goalies in the league right now doesn't seem like destroying the team to me.

But do you remember what Koskinen looked like when and after he signed that contract?

Cause it wasn't good.

Koskinen looks much better on a structured team. If Chia was still here, we wouldn't have a structured team. He wouldn't have brought in Tippett. More likely, Tippett probably wouldn't be interested in us with Chia at the helm.

Koskinen looks fine now, especially in a tandem. But I don't ever think that was a given.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's because he's playing 7+ minutes of PP+PK.

Benning not being trusted with any special teams time is just another reason he needs to get fired into the sun.
Funny enough our PK improved when he plays on it less. I remember Benning on the PK a bunch last year to little help

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But do you remember what Koskinen looked like when and after he signed that contract?

Cause it wasn't good.

Koskinen looks much better on a structured team. If Chia was still here, we wouldn't have a structured team. He wouldn't have brought in Tippett. More likely, Tippett probably wouldn't be interested in us with Chia at the helm.

Koskinen looks fine now, especially in a tandem. But I don't ever think that was a given.
I also don't think he is a full on starter. Holland didn't either. Tippet doesn't either. Which is why they brought in a guy who can play half the season.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I do think they are just happy to take it slow with Bear. He is doing well at even strength. You tag on those extra PP minutes and you're just putting more pressure on the kid to perform. It's just not necessary right now, especially with the PP doing just fine. I would guess he's practicing on the PP quite a bit already. Just no need to pile more on the kid when he's just starting to build up the confidence that he can be a regular top 4 NHLer.

Exactly...

We are finally being patient with our kids. Bear has been great... and will be great. He doesn't need to learn it all at once. And I'm sure he's not annoyed to be on the outside looking in... kid's been getting over 20mins a night which I'm sure is still a huge victory for him even relative to his own expectations for this year.

You can guarantee that if our PP starts to struggle, you'll see Nurse or Bear on it to change things up.

sundaysleftovers

Feb 28, 2013
Saskatchewan
Exactly...

We are finally being patient with our kids. Bear has been great... and will be great. He doesn't need to learn it all at once. And I'm sure he's not annoyed to be on the outside looking in... kid's been getting over 20mins a night which I'm sure is still a huge victory for him even relative to his own expectations for this year.

You can guarantee that if our PP starts to struggle, you'll see Nurse or Bear on it to change things up.

It is struggling, it is riding a stellar start to still be in 2nd spot.

First 7 games it was 10 for 22
Last 8 games it is 2 for 21

Needs a shake up!

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

It could be for 2 .5 millions at least, less cap.
It was a gamble at the time, for no reason.

And we dont now yet how Koskinen will do a full season.
Is he a goalie that just can stand 40 games, need to split up with another goalie?

But I think actually todays league is to tough to be a goaltender for 65 - 70 games.
They will be better with highest 50 games.

Like St Luois one year, only 98 goals in the back, with two goalies splitted on the load.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
It's become too damn predictable.

Drai is a good shooter off that side, but he moves the puck too slowly. He is a good player, but he holds the puck looking for a perfect pass. ONce he realizes that he does not have it, the puck goes back to Klef who then slowly passes it over to McDavid. Then the whole thing repeats.

Two problems I see:

- puck moves too slowly around
- players are stationary

I would be cautious putting Bear at the point, but at least Bear would pass the puck quickly and move around the offensive zone.

Reactions: frag2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They really need to try Bear in RNH's spot similar to how PIT uses Letang.

They need a right-handed shot there in the worst way.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Needs a shake up!

Or it's just yet another example of how statistics, and the human competencies that drive said statistics, are variable/clumpy over time. There are going to be hot streaks and cold streaks throughout the season for every team. The difference is how long/good are the hot streaks, and how long/bad are the cold streaks. Our hot streak to start the year was something else. The current cold streak has been pretty bad as well, but so far I would argue that our hot streak > our cold streak.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Drai is a good shooter off that side, but he moves the puck too slowly. He is a good player, but he holds the puck looking for a perfect pass. ONce he realizes that he does not have it, the puck goes back to Klef who then slowly passes it over to McDavid. Then the whole thing repeats.

Two problems I see:

- puck moves too slowly around
- players are stationary

I would be cautious putting Bear at the point, but at least Bear would pass the puck quickly and move around the offensive zone.

The thing with our PP is that there is no point shot threat. Klef just passes it to McD [or Nuge if McD is covered]. PK's dont have to worry about a point shot because its almost nonexistent. And when it happens, its a muffin to the crest or wide

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
The thing with our PP is that there is no point shot threat. Klef just passes it to McD [or Nuge if McD is covered]. PK's dont have to worry about a point shot because its almost nonexistent. And when it happens, its a muffin to the crest or wide

I am looking forward to Bear and Bouchard being the two points. I can see them continually switching spots and moving back and forth along the line.

Reactions: frag2

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Needs a shake up!

Alright... point taken. I'm certainly not against giving Nurse or Bear a spin. (I'm not personally a fan of Nurse on the PP... his offensive value is more in the neutral zone skating rather than distribution on the point, but he does deserve a chance) Bear I do have high hopes for, given his credentials in the area, but again I don't see the need to rush him.

Reactions: Oilhawks

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Lost to Minnestoa, Chicago and Detroit.
Who cares???? you honestly think those teams can't beat any team in the league on any given night??? There are no easy games and no easy teams. If any team doesn't play their best or get good goaltending in a game , they can get beat by any team.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Thus proving that the game of hockey should - in fact - be played not only on paper, but on the ice as well.
uh no, the only thing that proves is that there are no easy games and every team has good players and any team can beat any other team on any given night.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
It could be for 2 .5 millions at least, less cap.
It was a gamble at the time, for no reason.

And we dont now yet how Koskinen will do a full season.
Is he a goalie that just can stand 40 games, need to split up with another goalie?

But I think actually todays league is to tough to be a goaltender for 65 - 70 games.
They will be better with highest 50 games.

Like St Luois one year, only 98 goals in the back, with two goalies splitted on the load.
So far the gamble is paying off. There's no telling if he would have signed here. And it's possible someone may pay him 5-6mill with that small sample size. What's stopping teams that are goalie hungry from paying him 6mill? Like nothing. Koskinen at the time was worth more than Talbot. If we paid Talbot 4mill to keep him, that would've been a major screw-up. Someone must have spent time scouting Koskinen overseas to see that the talent was there. Not just from our scouting staff but from other teams. All he needed may have been a few tweaks to adjust to the NHL and it is now paying off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad