GDT: #28| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | December 3rd | 7:00pm | F/OTL 3-2

scott99

May 13, 2005
Not trying to stoke your fire higher, but then why even watch? Save yourself the blood pressure medication and read a book or something.

No, in all seriousness, I know the deal. I continue to watch the games too, even knowing what's going to happen before the puck even drops. It's a sickness. It's a habit. It's a sickening habit.

Like you said, it's a habit, it's a sickness. I watch because they are my team. But I don't wear Islander's color glasses. I know the deal. The reality is that the Islanders are terrible, they will finish in the bottom 5 once again, and last year was merely a fluke.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The anti-Vanek folk over propagandize this stuff BUT I am not happy with his penalties either. I won't go into it here, but I am leaning more and more towards using Vanek to procure something else we need at the deadline.

It may just be the practical thing to do if this team is still in the ******* come the trade deadline. He sure as hell isn't going to resign at this rate.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
when you are on the power play, late in the third period of a tied game.......YOU DONT RETALIATE!!!!! its called "sucking it up" or "taking one for the team".....

Exactly. I know letang mugged him but Vanek is a pro and needs to be smarter than that. Selfish retaliation play at the absolute worst time. Stay composed and get your pound of flesh next game or on the scoreboard instead

Crashsunday

Dec 18, 2006
San Diego
The one thing i have to say is that Pittsburgh is one hell of a dirty team.

Penguins have been for quite some time now. They are the dirtiest team in the league and rarely get called. That's why I loved that game against them back when Trevor Gillies was on the team. That team at least stood up for themselves.

They need to do the old "Untouchables" move - someone brings a knife, you bring a gun; someone sends one of your guys to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue. That's the thing this team is missing more than anything.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
JT is consistently getting points. We'd be in hockey hell without him. He is a great player, plain and simple. BUT he has not DOMINATED. Last season and a major part of 2011-12 Tavares dominated. Have yet to see him go beast mode like he did in those two seasons. The difference is, he's been more consistent this year. So far, he hasn't had that long stretch without scoring like he's had in previous seasons. Hopefully that doesn't happen. Though I'd love to see him go into beast mode again. I thought tonight was gonna be one of those games.

I remember a game 2 years ago against the Rangers at the Coliseum in October, he scored 3 goals and 2 assists. A 5 point beast mode game. But the most impressive thing I saw him do in that game, was come in 1 on 3, and practically throw the Ranger's defenders out of the way and burst in. He didn't score, but I was amazed, that's when I said, Tavares has arrived, he is now elite. I have yet to see Tavares have one of those beast mode games yet this season. Still having a great season, on pace for 32 goals and 62 assists 94 points.

My point is not bashing Tavares.. I just want to see BEAST MODE daily. I want to see him lead the team. Another blown lead... Captain Tavares needs to have a closed door meeting and naming names.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, you know what will happen, they will keep the pick this year, Buffalo will win the lottery with the Isles pick and get McDavid in 2015. We are cursed!

Rex, I actually think we will be much better next season. I expect Strome and Lee to replace Bouchard and Regin. That move alone will help our secondary scoring tremendously. Then add Reinhart and maybe Pulock (Mayfield or Pedan), and our defense will be more improved. I think our goaltending situation will be figured out, hopefully Halak or Khudobin or Miller will be in the Islander's net. And who knows, maybe Bouchard, Regin and Vanek get traded for defensive help prior to the trade deadline. Hopefully the moron Snow doesn't wait till the season to end before figuring out if he can sign Vanek or not. But honestly, I don't see Vanek staying. He was sick of all the losing in Buffalo, yet we are losing more that them !

The Isle's future is bright, I really believe that. A combo of 2 of Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield or Pedan added to our D, can't be any worse that what we have now. I see us making the playoffs next year if we actually sign Vanek and get a goalie. Strome, Lee and two of those dmen is a huge upgrade to what we currently have.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
everyone is talking about the bad penalty by vanek but what about the bad weak penalties by jt or ness like those didn't hurt at all

the tavares penalty was silly, the ness penalty looked accidental ( too me at least ) but neither of them came late in the third period of a tied game while the islanders were on a power play. barring dire circumstances, taking a retaliatory penalty while your team is on the power play is unacceptable. and then we can throw in the facts that it was late in the third period, AND the game was tied. with the islanders power play as bad as it is, the last thing they need is for a power play to be taken away from them. vaneks penalty was a stupid, selfish, "woe is me" penalty.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Penguins have been for quite some time now. They are the dirtiest team in the league and rarely get called. That's why I loved that game against them back when Trevor Gillies was on the team. That team at least stood up for themselves.

They need to do the old "Untouchables" move - someone brings a knife, you bring a gun; someone sends one of your guys to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue. That's the thing this team is missing more than anything.

The Isles don't have Gillies, Konopka and Haley anymore, and the Hammer has become the Nail.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The Isles don't have Gillies, Konopka and Haley anymore, and the Hammer has become the Nail.

Idk boulton carkner Martin clutterbuck cmac hamonic can potentially be a gritty lineup. The biggest difference is konopka and gillies have big personalities in addition to their toughness and were more likely to incite and instill that attitude in the rest of the lineup

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland

and they got fined out the ass, and suspensions for it.

in the long run.......it didnt really help them win games after that. all it did was put them under a micro-scope. it did more damage to the team than good.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Vanek worst player on the ice tonight

Same old story. I feel like an abused wife that just keeps coming back for more and more.....

Vanek was horrible tonight. A turnover machine. The first line looked great and dominated when they were out there, but it was like the dominated despite Vanek and not because of him. Pens announcers talked about Isles PP #1 in the league before trade, and ******* since the trade.

I am finally on the Fire Snow! Fire Cappy! Fire everyone bandwagon....

So pissed.

Looking at Isles schedule, they will lose 7,8 of their next 10. Even if you don't think it's Cappy's fault, you still need to shake things up. I think we will wait 5-10 games too long to make changes, then we'll go on a run and miss the playoffs because we waited too long to make changes.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Not happy with Vanek's penalties either, BUT at least he is showing competitiveness and emotion

the only emotions i see out of him are that of a 5 or 6 year old school girl that just got her pig tails pulled during recess. and then when the teacher didnt see it, she goes and kicks the bully that pulled her pig tails.......thus, ending recess for everyone else.......

Crashsunday

Dec 18, 2006
San Diego
and they got fined out the ass, and suspensions for it.

in the long run.......it didnt really help them win games after that. all it did was put them under a micro-scope. it did more damage to the team than good.

That's because they didn't have the talent to compete to go along with the snarl. The microscope in and of itself was not bad. The fact that it revealed fight without skill level made the NHL a little worried and so they protected their assets. Team has to have an identity of toughness. Skill alone isn't enough. This year's model has a bunch of highly skilled, Lady Byng candidates that will never win hockey games at this level, especially in the playoffs.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
The one thing i have to say is that Pittsburgh is one hell of a dirty team.

this was a very dirty game by the Pens. Malkin, Letang specifically. It was a very good game though and the Islanders played well. They are so overmatched on the talent scale but they really played the Pens tough.

The best thing about getting Visnovsky back is finally getting MacDonald off the PP - when is that guy coming back!! Cappy, please try Hickey or deHaan on the PP instead of AMac. Hell, I'd even go with 5 forwards and put Nielsen and Bailey on the points. The PP is such a bleepn disappointment!!!

I thought the defense played very well, one of their best efforts, collectively, in a while. MacDonald (though he's horrid on the PP) played well, Hickey and deHaan were excellent all night long. I don't blame anyone on the OT goal, it was all Crosby, just a great play.

Watching LA-ANA and saw some of the SJ-TOR game earlier. Those western teams are unreal. Incredible size and speed and talent - wow. Isles will have a tough time on this upcoming road trip, no doubt about it.

I think we can all plainly see the Regin, Bouchard experiment is a failure. It's right up there with the Schremp, Tambellini, Pandolfo, Reasoner, Sim, Park (and dozens more) fill-ins that ensure the Isles don't take a step forward. Successful teams find a way to work their young players into KEY ROLES and DEVELOP them - the Isles just seem to find comfort in these reclamation projects of players who weren't that good to begin with. I seriously cannot understand this backwards effn thinking - makes no sense.

Minny is an excellent team and they are dressing Granlund, Coyle, Niederreiter in key roles in the top nine. They have Parise, Pominville, Koivu and a washed up Heatley and the young'ns are right there with them.

We have Brock Nelson watching from the press box?! Watching what exactly? Bouchard skate around and not even attempt a triple-axle? UNREAL.

I'm glad deHaan finally got a chance to play, he looks like the real deal.

I must admit that Nilsson's looked really good, as has Poulin. Maybe these kids should just play. They aren't 18-19, they are old enough. I'd get Strome up here asap. Why the hell not.

I can't believe how much Grabner's regressed, seems to be getting worse and worse each game. I know he was snakebitten earlier and was still working hard and getting chances - but in the last 10-12 games he's been invisible. He's not a threat out there at all, though he's pretty effective defensively. But he's not here to be a defensive/PK guy, he's got to score or at least create space for linemates. He's been bad. Nielsen and Bailey have been crap too.

Cappy's got to split up the lines. The Isles can't have just ONE LINE scoring.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Rex, I actually think we will be much better next season. I expect Strome and Lee to replace Bouchard and Regin. That move alone will help our secondary scoring tremendously. Then add Reinhart and maybe Pulock (Mayfield or Pedan), and our defense will be more improved. I think our goaltending situation will be figured out, hopefully Halak or Khudobin or Miller will be in the Islander's net. And who knows, maybe Bouchard, Regin and Vanek get traded for defensive help prior to the trade deadline. Hopefully the moron Snow doesn't wait till the season to end before figuring out if he can sign Vanek or not. But honestly, I don't see Vanek staying. He was sick of all the losing in Buffalo, yet we are losing more that them !

The Isle's future is bright, I really believe that. A combo of 2 of Reinhart, Pulock, Mayfield or Pedan added to our D, can't be any worse that what we have now. I see us making the playoffs next year if we actually sign Vanek and get a goalie. Strome, Lee and two of those dmen is a huge upgrade to what we currently have.

With the current management, don't have much faith they can put it together. If they can't get Vanek signed they can't just lose those picks for nothing and can't take the chance so he would have to go at the deadline. Having some of the prospects by themselves to make a big impact right away may be asking too much, too soon from them. They need real help, not the usual scrap heap signings. I would feel a lot better if there was real management in place and that is not going to happen under Wang. Change is needed from the top down, Wang has owned the team long enough so over that period of time, the way he operates the team does not work and he is not going to change.

Last edited:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
With the current management, don't have much faith they can put it together. If they can't get Vanek signed they can't just lose those picks for nothing and can't take the chance so he would have to go at the deadline. Having some of the prospects by themselves to make a big impact right away may be asking too much, too soon from them. They need real help, not the usual scrap heap signings. I would feel a lot better if there was real management in place and that is not going to happen under Wang. Change is needed from the top down.

I don't think they should sign Vanek. They should trade him.

Trade Vanek, MacDonald, Regin, Bouchard and Nabokov. Maybe Vanek is the only one with real value, I think Amac would fetch a decent return because of the perception around the league and the shortage of dmen, especially for those bound for the playoffs.

Vanek isn't worth the money he'll fetch as a UFA. Same for Moulson and MacDonald.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not happy with Vanek's penalties either, BUT at least he is showing competitiveness and emotion. It means he gives a ****....which might be an encouraging sign that he would be willing to extend here....

I think he's just being a professional. I fully expect him to take off at free agency (heck I know I would!). Like Smyth did when he was traded to us.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
the only emotions i see out of him are that of a 5 or 6 year old school girl that just got her pig tails pulled during recess. and then when the teacher didnt see it, she goes and kicks the bully that pulled her pig tails.......thus, ending recess for everyone else.......

Well, way to sum up EVERY retaliatory penalty ever taken. JT did the same thing at least 3 times tonight and Malkin got penalized for it as well. So I don't know what you are trying to prove, but in order to retaliate it means you have to care and there are some players on the Isles that are just coasting with no desire whatsoever AHEM, Failey....

If I had a nickel every time Failey acted like he gave a **** I'd owe money....

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I don't think they should sign Vanek. They should trade him.

Trade Vanek, MacDonald, Regin, Bouchard and Nabokov. Maybe Vanek is the only one with real value, I think Amac would fetch a decent return because of the perception around the league and the shortage of dmen, especially for those bound for the playoffs.

Vanek isn't worth the money he'll fetch as a UFA. Same for Moulson and MacDonald.

Regan, Bouchard and Nabby have the value of used gym socks. Agree, Vanek not worth that kind of money but that is what he'll want and even if the Islanders offer it, don't think he will stay. They can something for A Mac, he could help another team used properly which the Islanders can't or won't do.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I would like to say I'm not a 100% sold on signing Vanek either, just trying to point out he is NOT part of the problem by any means like some are making him out to be. He played poorly tonight. Minus the penalties he still didn't have a lot of zip on the puck when trying to make passes and just seemed like he was trying to float everything towards goal.

With that sad I still fully expect to be watering at the mouth when Vanek shows his worth with JT and I definitely believe that will happen and quiet some fan'atics'.

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
I've watched all the games. This club plays like they leave their balls in a cup on the nightstand before they go to work no matter who they play. Well, the top 9 and most of the defense do anyway.

they pushed they play for most of the game. the only person on the team who didn't play physical was bouchard. hell, tavares even laid out letang

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Well, way to sum up EVERY retaliatory penalty ever taken.

so "EVERY" retaliatory penalty ever taken was late in the third period, with the game tied, and your team on the power play? killing an already struggling power play???

that late in a tied game, while on a power play, i dont care if you get mauled by a bear, YOU DO NOT RETALIATE!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad