GDT: #28| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | December 3rd | 7:00pm | F/OTL 3-2

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think what Snow might do is offer Vanek a 2 year bridge contract just so "Snow" can save face and basically say to Vanek to at least give the Isles a shot. If after 2 years, he still doesn't like it, then he will be moved to the team of his choice....or teams of his choice.

zidell*

The one thing i have to say is that Pittsburgh is one hell of a dirty team.

That's really laughable. The league strategy against the Pens is to play dirty against then Pens and to provoke them because they have more talent. Losers always look for excuses. The Pens are a good a team and the Islanders are not. Live with it.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I think what Snow might do is offer Vanek a 2 year bridge contract just so "Snow" can save face and basically say to Vanek to at least give the Isles a shot. If after 2 years, he still doesn't like it, then he will be moved to the team of his choice....or teams of his choice.

Why would Vanek take a "bridge" contract? He's a UFA who will get at least a 5 year deal on the open market in the 7 million per year range. He ain't taking 2 years to give the islanders a try. He can choose the team he wants to play for in July, he doesn't need Snow to facilitate that for him.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
That's really laughable. The league strategy against the Pens is to play dirty against then Pens and to provoke them because they have more talent. Losers always look for excuses. The Pens are a good a team and the Islanders are not. Live with it.

Pens are better, doesn't make them less chippy

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

Or, you know, Vanek can just go... sign a long term deal with the team of his choice an skip the cute 2 year tryout.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Pens are better, doesn't make them less chippy

People forget about the slash to the back of malkins knee that caused the big scrum in which regin wilted. No penalty, **** goes both ways. Nielson doing the same... as well.

camper*

everyone is talking about the bad penalty by vanek but what about the bad weak penalties by jt or ness like those didn't hurt at all

True…personally pims are needed…they set a tone..tell the other guy we don't take your shat. But they have to have purpose…roughing or physical penalties good teams must take.

But to watch Malkin face plant a D-man then throw Tav around like a sack of laundry after Tav softly spearer him is troublesome….then to add insult to injury..lay there on the ice while Malkin hovered over him looking frail was very disappointing. Theres nothing any rougher teammate can do for their mate if they cannot show they have some balls…at least get up and shove someone back..but no..its not in their genes:cry:

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Yes, the Islanders took penalties as well. However, they were called, were they not? There is a difference between being chippy and letting the boys play and watching a get get cross checked at your feet. There is a difference between using your stick to give the guy a little hit on the shins and jabbing at the back of a guys knee.

I mean we are talking what, a shin bruise oppose to possibly seriously hurting a guy? I know going to the front of the net is going to be a dangerous area but there should be a level of respect. Never try to hurt a guy and when you are literally jabbing at the back of their knees....

I will even say, if that was the fan boys bff Moulson they would be up in arms.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
this was a very dirty game by the Pens. Malkin, Letang specifically. It was a very good game though and the Islanders played well. They are so overmatched on the talent scale but they really played the Pens tough.

The best thing about getting Visnovsky back is finally getting MacDonald off the PP - when is that guy coming back!! Cappy, please try Hickey or deHaan on the PP instead of AMac. Hell, I'd even go with 5 forwards and put Nielsen and Bailey on the points. The PP is such a bleepn disappointment!!!

I thought the defense played very well, one of their best efforts, collectively, in a while. MacDonald (though he's horrid on the PP) played well, Hickey and deHaan were excellent all night long. I don't blame anyone on the OT goal, it was all Crosby, just a great play.

Watching LA-ANA and saw some of the SJ-TOR game earlier. Those western teams are unreal. Incredible size and speed and talent - wow. Isles will have a tough time on this upcoming road trip, no doubt about it.

I think we can all plainly see the Regin, Bouchard experiment is a failure. It's right up there with the Schremp, Tambellini, Pandolfo, Reasoner, Sim, Park (and dozens more) fill-ins that ensure the Isles don't take a step forward. Successful teams find a way to work their young players into KEY ROLES and DEVELOP them - the Isles just seem to find comfort in these reclamation projects of players who weren't that good to begin with. I seriously cannot understand this backwards effn thinking - makes no sense.

Minny is an excellent team and they are dressing Granlund, Coyle, Niederreiter in key roles in the top nine. They have Parise, Pominville, Koivu and a washed up Heatley and the young'ns are right there with them.

We have Brock Nelson watching from the press box?! Watching what exactly? Bouchard skate around and not even attempt a triple-axle? UNREAL.

I'm glad deHaan finally got a chance to play, he looks like the real deal.

I must admit that Nilsson's looked really good, as has Poulin. Maybe these kids should just play. They aren't 18-19, they are old enough. I'd get Strome up here asap. Why the hell not.

I can't believe how much Grabner's regressed, seems to be getting worse and worse each game. I know he was snakebitten earlier and was still working hard and getting chances - but in the last 10-12 games he's been invisible. He's not a threat out there at all, though he's pretty effective defensively. But he's not here to be a defensive/PK guy, he's got to score or at least create space for linemates. He's been bad. Nielsen and Bailey have been crap too.

Cappy's got to split up the lines. The Isles can't have just ONE LINE scoring.

RB I always enjoy your analysis and find it so accurate.

My take on AMac, and to a lesser degree deHaan and Hickey is not that they played good, they just didn't stink (leaving deHaan out for a moment as he is in his 2nd game). There is a difference as we have come to expect horrible play from AMac so anything better than horrible looks good to our eyes. His decision making is slow and low IQ, his passing is poor, and clearing the zone is an adventure. I like Hickey in the sense that overall he does not usually stink, but he is a bottom pair guy on most any other NHL team.

What is up with Frans lately. You mentioned he was not good and I agree, but aside from the offense he was producing drying up, Frans is making some really unlikely defensive coverage errors, turning away from the play, covering the wrong area/man, not getting to his coverage area on time. This has been since that last Pens game when Adams crossed checked him in the ribs and no one made him pay for it. Frans is just missing defensive assignment unlike his normal play.

I think all the losing is getting to you and I dont blame you one bit. Bouchard and Regin suck and they are as physically weak as a frail little schoolgirl. These two mokes could not win a puck battle to save themselves, it is a disgrace for an NHL player to be so weak on their stick and on the puck. Hockey in the NHL is a game for men. Calling up Strome is asking for more of the same and while he probably deserves to get a chance, he may not be physically ready, and is not well suited to our lineup. We need to find a good spot for him so he has a chance to succeed. Nelson on the other hand should be playing every game (in place of PMB or Regin).

This is not a well constructed team made worse by exceptionally poor matching and utilization of players/lines by the "coaching staff". We are sinking fast, going down for the 3rd time, and by end of December the body will be bloated and floating around on the surface for someone to find.

Finis.

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Staple pointed this out last night, but that penalty on Tavares late in the 2nd was very similar to the no-call against Detroit when Tavares was cross-checked.

I don't usually like to put any blame on the refs, since it's usually just a cop-out for the way the team played, but last night was comically bad. I know what Vanek did was stupid and extremely poor timing, but I really don't blame him for it. He was getting abused, nothing called, wanted revenge and probably figured nothing would continue to be called.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
It's Pittsburgh and we got a point out of the game.

That's more than I thought we'd get coming in.

It's only up from here! :(

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
There is a legitimate chance that this team will (still) have 5 regulation wins on New Years Day.

:laugh:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Or, you know, Vanek can just go... sign a long term deal with the team of his choice an skip the cute 2 year tryout.

Im not saying that Vanek is gonna accept an offer like that, but my thinking is that the 2 year thing is what Snow will offer.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Im not saying that Vanek is gonna accept an offer like that, but my thinking is that the 2 year thing is what Snow will offer.

cmon..give snow some credit...im not saying we are 100% signing him, but to think we traded for him to offer him a 2 yr contract is foolish

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
RB I always enjoy your analysis and find it so accurate.

My take on AMac, and to a lesser degree deHaan and Hickey is not that they played good, they just didn't stink (leaving deHaan out for a moment as he is in his 2nd game). There is a difference as we have come to expect horrible play from AMac so anything better than horrible looks good to our eyes. His decision making is slow and low IQ, his passing is poor, and clearing the zone is an adventure. I like Hickey in the sense that overall he does not usually stink, but he is a bottom pair guy on most any other NHL team.

What is up with Frans lately. You mentioned he was not good and I agree, but aside from the offense he was producing drying up, Frans is making some really unlikely defensive coverage errors, turning away from the play, covering the wrong area/man, not getting to his coverage area on time. This has been since that last Pens game when Adams crossed checked him in the ribs and no one made him pay for it. Frans is just missing defensive assignment unlike his normal play.

I think all the losing is getting to you and I dont blame you one bit. Bouchard and Regin suck and they are as physically weak as a frail little schoolgirl. These two mokes could not win a puck battle to save themselves, it is a disgrace for an NHL player to be so weak on their stick and on the puck. Hockey in the NHL is a game for men. Calling up Strome is asking for more of the same and while he probably deserves to get a chance, he may not be physically ready, and is not well suited to our lineup. We need to find a good spot for him so he has a chance to succeed. Nelson on the other hand should be playing every game (in place of PMB or Regin).

This is not a well constructed team made worse by exceptionally poor matching and utilization of players/lines by the "coaching staff". We are sinking fast, going down for the 3rd time, and by end of December the body will be bloated and floating around on the surface for someone to find.

Finis.

good post BillD.

I think Hickey is much better than "doesn't suck" - but I expected so little of hime when they grabbed him off waivers last year. You're right about our views of "not sucking" being easily confused with "oh, they're very good" - because the Isles have (among) the worst defense in the NHL. And I don't think anyone but Hamonic (and Visnovsky) are probably the only two dmen that would earn a top six job if, say, the Islanders fold.

But based on what we've seen from this team, this is as good as it gets. Reality is, Hickey and deHaan are the best we've seen - that's as exciting as it is sad though. Is Doughty available?

Good observatons on Frans, not sure what's up with him because he's been the most consistent player I've seen in an Isles uniform in 20 years. He started off incredibly well but has tailed off - looks like he's in a rare slump along with the team's collective poor play.

on Strome. I can't tell by BP highlights how ready he is. But he's 20, he's been among the best at his age since he was 15-16 and he's on pace for 90-100 pts on a horrible BP team. If ever there were signs that this guy is "ready" - these are them. And the team needs a boost, the secondary scoring is non-existant.

For example, in the last six games, the combined output for the 2nd and 3rd lines is 1G 1A. Tha's 2pts in 36 total games. Beyond pathetic, almost unimaginably so.

Letang's slashes to the back of Vanek's knee is just dirty hockey. If you've played hockey at all, you'd know that. An area with little or no protection, great place to injure a player. That's dirty.

And I'm not sure how you happen to know what the "league's strategy against the Pens" is. But this post is unnecessary on an Isles board.

Isles Enforcer

Sep 22, 2005
New York
www.islesenforcers.com

No, its you sir, you are looking for excuses. Pens are the dirtiest team in the league and proved it last night.

Last edited:

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Snow will trade him before he throws out an offer like that. Vanek holds all the cards and has absolutely no reason to sign a 2 year deal with the Islanders. Snows knows this. You either offer the guy a legit contract or you get something for him before the trade deadline.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007

I dont think its that everyone wants to play them dirty, they are very talented but its well known that we you to dont crosby and malkin exactly what they want they begin to complain and cry to the refs. I dont know why you WOULDN'T hit them every chance you get all game...if thats "dirty" maybe Cindy and Malkin should hang em up and play non contact Rec. roller hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad