Post-Game Talk: #28 | Capitals at Flyers | December 14, 2023 | Flyers win 4-3 (2-1 shootout)

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Nothing guarantees long term success. So why not enjoy short term success? I mean there's more to being a hockey fan than Stanley Cup or bust.

Because I’d prefer to be in the realm of the contenders such as Chicago or Pittsburgh.

Not dicking around like the Wild for years praying to get out of round one.

It’s not that hard to do, the Flyers are just so against an actual rebuild. They lied. Shocking.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Just wondering but where is deadhead? I have not heard from him in awhile?
i think he got brigaded and report and probably cant post for a while now. my message got deleted for some crazy reason

good win last night though huh?

Reactions: Devonator

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
wait.. so winning the cup isnt your reason for watching ?

protip its the ONLY resson for watching.

thats why theres no second place trophy
So unless you win the ultimate prize hockey is pointless to you? What a cynical way of following a sports team. Couldn't be me.

And actually, there is a trophy for second place. It's called Clarence S. Campbell/Prince of Wales Trophy. But I guess those are also worthless to you.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
So unless you win the ultimate prize hockey is pointless to you? What a cynical way of following a sports team. Couldn't be me.

And actually, there is a trophy for second place. It's called Clarence S. Campbell/Prince of Wales Trophy. But I guess those are also worthless to you.
I think there’s a lot if room between “cup or bust” and not wanting the team in limbo of not quite competitive.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

Yes. Unless you are competing to win it it is.

It is why the Flyers are considered one of those middle teams that you see in all sports.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nothing guarantees long term success. So why not enjoy short term success? I mean there's more to being a hockey fan than Stanley Cup or bust.

I did this for years but after a time you begin to want the games to mean something. It's especially hard to do when the team is always flooded with enough crap that this short term success still involves watching a ton of brutality. Even wins usually involve a LOT of slog.

hockeynormy

Oct 21, 2023
Just curious but what is the point of this post? You just added your account at the end of October. Do you have a short term memory loss issue or is there other factors at play?

we won the game and we have been winning and everyone here is miserable lol

why? this place is like a support group for the sad

hockeynormy

Oct 21, 2023
Because a lot of folks here want to see this team as a perennial contender and not a mediocre pretender.
we haven't added any big name free agents or spent any assets to go for it. the kids are playing and not getting used to losing. that's progress to be that perennial contender.

or we could be like edmonton or buffalo and have a culture of losing, get a bunch of high end talent and do nothing with them because they are used to losing.

i get you don't want them to do what they've done in the past but the fact is they haven't done that yet. the notion that winning is somehow hurting this team is ridiculous.

pooch

May 30, 2017
we haven't added any big name free agents or spent any assets to go for it. the kids are playing and not getting used to losing. that's progress to be that perennial contender.

or we could be like edmonton or buffalo and have a culture of losing, get a bunch of high end talent and do nothing with them because they are used to losing.

i get you don't want them to do what they've done in the past but the fact is they haven't done that yet. the notion that winning is somehow hurting this team is ridiculous.
I try not to be as whiny as some of the people here because I do think it is annoying. That said, I do not see them doing anything to make themselves real contenders year in and year out. This team has a lot of nice secondary pieces, but I dont see the elite talent (beyond MM obviously) in the pipeline to become contenders. Hope I'm wrong.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

A team built of a bunch of secondary talent hoping to win on effort, and culture.

Where have we seen this with the Flyers before

This organization can’t help itself

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

yea... that 12th OA pick is gunna be so awesome..

oh wait..

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad