Post-Game Talk: #27| Vegas Golden Knights @ New York Islanders | December 5th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Because they don't play pond hockey in the playoffs and it makes us appear better than we are. Do you really believe we will dominate playoff OT the way we dominate it in the reg. season?
The regular season is a different animal. It's all about banking points and getting into the playoffs. We'll be fine in the playoffs.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
8 of our 19 wins, more than a 40%, are of the OT (6) or SO (2) variety. We've lost once in regular season OT, that is 8 out of 9 times we got the W. We're not going to be that successful in OT at 5 x 5.

All of the good teams so that, which is the reason I brought up our standing on regulation wins. We're seventh and have played fewer games than every team ahead of us. Are the teams higher than us also in trouble because they win in overtime?

Reactions: thedonger

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm more than willing to accept that I could be wrong, but I don't see this as a permanent thing.
I doubt it is either - if it is, it means its working really well. But we aren't good enough to have our top 6 set in stone. And Ross is (hopefully) more than just an enforcer. There isn't really a place in today's game for that type of player - at least in the traditional sense of the word.

But he does bring some attributes that could mesh well with Barzy - one of them being the intimidation factor. That's not enough to have him on his line permanently, but its a nice extra. There's something to be said about making it known that you won't have your young star manhandled without repercussions. I love that Ross went over to Tkachuk and smacked him in the face. That's the kind of team I want to root for.

The team played a pretty decent 60 minute/200 foot game overall yesterday. I'd keep things as is for now and see what happens. I won't be shocked if Ross gets taken off that line in the near future but who knows?

Reactions: IslesCLT

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I doubt it is either - if it is, it means its working really well. But we aren't good enough to have our top 6 set in stone. And Ross is (hopefully) more than just an enforcer. There isn't really a place in today's game for that type of player - at least in the traditional sense of the word.

But he does bring some attributes that could mesh well with Barzy - one of them being the intimidation factor. That's not enough to have him on his line permanently, but its a nice extra. There's something to be said about making it known that you won't have your young star manhandled without repercussions. I love that Ross went over to Tkachuk and smacked him in the face. That's the kind of team I want to root for.

The team played a pretty decent 60 minute/200 foot game overall yesterday. I'd keep things as is for now and see what happens. I won't be shocked if Ross gets taken off that line in the near future but who knows?

It's good to have a guy like RJ riding shotgun with #13 sometimes. I did notice Barzal was extra chippy on that late hit that that earned him 2 minutes. Was it a foolish penalty? Yes, ofcourse, but onions drop when having a 6'5 monster big brother around. Is it permanent, highly doubt it but I like what Trotz did.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Johnston barely registers on the salary cap meter. He can be in the press box for long stretches and then play and be a dose of courage for his teammates and play a little bit of hockey too. I don't think Trotz is worrying about what specific role he needs to fill. He's just a nice thing to have around to use when needed, where needed.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
It's good to have a guy like RJ riding shotgun with #13 sometimes. I did notice Barzal was extra chippy on that late hit that that earned him 2 minutes. Was it a foolish penalty? Yes, ofcourse, but onions drop when having a 6'5 monster big brother around. Is it permanent, highly doubt it but I like what Trotz did.
I posted after you and before seeing this - but yeah, exactly.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
All of the good teams so that, which is the reason I brought up our standing on regulation wins. We're seventh and have played fewer games than every team ahead of us. Are the teams higher than us also in trouble because they win in overtime?
I'm not saying we're a bad team, and I'm not looking to give back the points, I said it makes me uncomfortable that so many of our Ws are in OT, which to me is not real hockey and doesn't tell us anything. The best team in the league, for my money anyway, the Bruins, have two OT wins out of there 20 and 6 OT losses. My guess is that they will fare better in real OT.

Reactions: mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'm not saying we're a bad team, and I'm not looking to give back the points, I said it makes me uncomfortable that so many of our Ws are in OT, which to me is not real hockey and doesn't tell us anything. The best team in the league, for my money anyway, the Bruins, have two OT wins out of there 20 and 6 OT losses. My guess is that they will fare better in real OT.

The B's just willed a point in the 3rd last night. Impressive to say the least. They have guys that are "gray in the tooth"

Reactions: frankieboy

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I'm more than willing to accept that I could be wrong, but I don't see this as a permanent thing.
Really, how many pure enforcers have been long-term fixtures on top lines? Semenko and, uh, er...

Guys like Gillies and Wilson could/can play and were 1st round picks. Johnston fits more in the Semenko category and I agree is likely not a long-term top liner.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Boston is probably the best team right now but they're also the only team that is head and shoulders better than everyone else in regulation wins. The rest are sitting next to the Isles. I don't think you should be uncomfortable that the Isles are doing the exact same thing as the other top teams in the league. Like MJF pointed out, our club is actually really good at five on five. It's the special teams where we're more mediocre. I'd worry more about that than the OT thing.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable, just like our team.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Boston is probably the best team right now but they're also the only team that is head and shoulders better than everyone else in regulation wins. The rest are sitting next to the Isles. I don't think you should be uncomfortable that the Isles are doing the exact same thing as the other top teams in the league. Like MJF pointed out, our club is actually really good at five on five. It's the special teams where we're more mediocre. I'd worry more about that than the OT thing.

Get comfortable being uncomfortable, just like our team........Think Trotz used that expression last year. Could not be any truer about this teammmm

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
8 of our 19 wins, more than a 40%, are of the OT (6) or SO (2) variety. We've lost once in regular season OT, that is 8 out of 9 times we got the W. We're not going to be that successful in OT at 5 x 5.

You are off by one. We have 12 RW out of 19. It's lagging but relatively in line with other playoff teams.

I agree it's not the best, but I also don't think there's a ton to read into this. It's not like teams are beating us 5 on 5. Not to mention, we are getting destroyed in penalty differential, which bodes well for us that there will be more 5 on 5 in the playoffs.

Reactions: dood

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You are off by one. We have 12 RW out of 19. It's lagging but relatively in line with other playoff teams.

I agree it's not the best, but I also don't think there's a ton to read into this. It's not like teams are beating us 5 on 5. Not to mention, we are getting destroyed in penalty differential, which bodes well for us that there will be more 5 on 5 in the playoffs.
Yup, I had it right the first time and then changed it when I thought I had miscounted. In any event, my point is and has been that with regard to team performance and not the points, which are nice and I'll take them, being comforted by anything that happens in reg season OT is kidding ones self IMO.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yup, I had it right the first time and then changed it when I thought I had miscounted. In any event, my point is and has been that with regard to team performance and not the points, which are nice and I'll take them, being comforted by anything that happens in reg season OT is kidding ones self IMO.

But every other team has the same concern, so it's not really an issue as long as you're in line with the other good teams. That's the point. Nobody is suggesting that we're good in OT during the regular season so we'll be good in the playoffs too. Other teams need to have the same concern.

Reactions: MJF

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Yea I don't think anyone is comforted. I think it's just sort of neutral. If we called all of these ties we'd probably be right where I expect we end up this year.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Well, the enforcer brigade starts "noticing things" like players "playing freer" or opponents "running around less" and that it "worked for Gretzky" like 45 years ago.

I really wish the enforcer thing next to our star players would die already. The Gretzky argument is so tired. It was a completely different game. It's like when people say "Gretzky was traded... anyone can be traded." Again, a completely different time. We also used to stop sports and send our guys to war. That ain't happening anymore.

I think Trotz did it more as a calling out of his top 6 wingers and spurring the guys to play simpler straightforward hockey rather than some deterrence to rough up Barzal.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
But every other team has the same concern, so it's not really an issue as long as you're in line with the other good teams. That's the point. Nobody is suggesting that we're good in OT during the regular season so we'll be good in the playoffs too. Other teams need to have the same concern.
I think the Isles are a very unique team, more coach driven over-achievers than the other top teams are. That doesn't invalidate what they've achieved, in fact it heightens it, but I do think it lulls some of us into a false sense of security. I know you know this, at least I think you do, this team continues to have significant needs to get to the next level..

Reactions: PK Cronin

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Get comfortable being uncomfortable, just like our team.
And just like we've won games this year when we didn't play so well, this game we out played the opposition but didn't quite see the results - at least in regulation. That's just the way it is. Some days you dominate play and don't get the results and some days you do. The takeaway from last night shouldn't be that we couldn't finish it in regulation. It should be the team outplayed a high quality team and got 2 points. Unless you're looking for something to complain about.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think the Isles are a very unique team, more coach driven over-achievers than the other top teams are. That doesn't invalidate what they've achieved, in fact it heightens it, but I do think it lulls some of us into a false sense of security. I know you know this, at least I think you do, this team continues to have significant needs to get to the next level..
There’s different ways to win a hockey game, you can outskill the other team or you can take away the other team’s offensive chances. We do the latter. I don’t think this is an issue for lulling us into a false sense of security. On the other hand, now more than ever before I’m comfortable with us having a 1 goal lead in the 3rd period. I don’t see Trotz having us go into a prevent defense. We continue to play the same way all game long. The problem for us regarding OT’s, if you can call it that, is that we’ve been sloppy defensively and the mistakes have gone in. I doubt it will be a season long issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad