Post-Game Talk: #27| Vegas Golden Knights @ New York Islanders | December 5th | 7:00 PM | F/OTW 3-2

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What difference does it make? 2 points is 2 points.

I think it matters come playoff time. Those games don't go to the 3 on 3 format so knowing how and winning a lot in regulation could indicate that the team will handle the playoffs better than a team that gets a lot of wins in OT during the regular season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Komarov has played pretty well, I wouldn't be taking him out. Dal Colle has been given a long enough leash and hasn't succeeded in any situation really. He was an okay Martin replacement on the fourth line, but that's not enough.
I can't believe I'm reading this.

I was one of Leo's bigger supporters last year and I don't think he's been that great this season. Tell me what you're seeing because I may be missing something.

Reactions: 24diving

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I can't believe I'm reading this.

I was one of Leo's bigger supporters last year and I don't think he's been that great this season. Tell me what you're seeing because I may be missing something.

I think he's played pretty strong defensively (aside from the issue late last night), helping to create turnovers in the neutral zone. He's still a black hole offensively and is slower, but he's helped clog the neutral zone a lot more than other guys. It's not a rave review, more of an indictment on the other guys we're questioning.

I should've said, pretty well for him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think it matters come playoff time. Those games don't go to the 3 on 3 format so knowing how and winning a lot in regulation could indicate that the team will handle the playoffs better than a team that gets a lot of wins in OT during the regular season.
I think that's stretching it a bit. Right now the idea is to bank as many points as possible and we're certainly getting it done. That was our 27th game. If we're not able to close out regulation games in the last month of the season I'd be (more) alarmed.

I consider last night a case of 2 excellent teams battling it out. Had there not been a Leo turnover in the D zone late in the game we win it 2-1 or 3-1 (EN). The exact type of game we'd face in the playoffs. Close, physical, tight checking, terrific goaltending. Exactly what Trotz preaches.

I become more alarmed over the no-show performances and loose defensive efforts than a good team getting a late goal to force OT, or the fact that we only had 2 goals in regulation.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think that's stretching it a bit. Right now the idea is to bank as many points as possible and we're certainly getting it done. That was our 27th game. If we're not able to close out regulation games in the last month of the season I'd be (more) alarmed.

I consider last night a case of 2 excellent teams battling it out. Had there not been a Leo turnover in the D zone late in the game we win it 2-1 or 3-1 (EN). The exact type of game we'd face in the playoffs. Close, physical, tight checking, terrific goaltending. Exactly what Trotz preaches.

I become more alarmed over the no-show performances and loose defensive efforts than a good team getting a late goal to force OT, or the fact that we only had 2 goals in regulation.

I agree, and I pointed out that we're seventh in the league in regulation wins right now, but there is some legitimacy to the worry generally speaking. I just don't think December 6th given our place in the standings and in regulations wins is the time to worry or panic about it.

Reactions: MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Komarov has played pretty well, I wouldn't be taking him out. Dal Colle has been given a long enough leash and hasn't succeeded in any situation really. He was an okay Martin replacement on the fourth line, but that's not enough.
When Kuhnackl and Ladd are back, MDC should probably be sent down at this point.

I know Ladd is everyone's whipping boy here but if he gets back to into shape, this team would be better with him on it. At minimum they should give him the opportunity to play himself out of the lineup. He's obviously lost a step (or more) but this lineup could use what he may have. If he shows he can't keep up, great....send him back down. I haven't seen more than a snippet of a highlight from him at BP but he's put in a few goals. Presumably he's close to being ready to be back on the Island.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think he's played pretty strong defensively (aside from the issue late last night), helping to create turnovers in the neutral zone. He's still a black hole offensively and is slower, but he's helped clog the neutral zone a lot more than other guys. It's not a rave review, more of an indictment on the other guys we're questioning.

I should've said, pretty well for him.
I see a turnover a D zone turnover game from Leo since he came back. So far 2 of them ended up in the back of our net.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

Leo is better than any alternatives at the moment. Strong on the PK and defensively but adds nothing on the offensive side.
Massive overpayment by Lou though it looks good compared to Ladd.

I'm counting the days till this contract is off the books.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
When Kuhnackl and Ladd are back, MDC should probably be sent down at this point.

I know Ladd is everyone's whipping boy here but if he gets back to into shape, this team would be better with him on it. At minimum they should give him the opportunity to play himself out of the lineup. He's obviously lost a step (or more) but this lineup could use what he may have. If he shows he can't keep up, great....send him back down. I haven't seen more than a snippet of a highlight from him at BP but he's put in a few goals. Presumably he's close to being ready to be back on the Island.
Are you insane?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I would just temper my enthusiasm about Ladd's success in the AHL with this. That league does not have the strongest of skaters down there. I'd have very low expectations of him not getting blown by if he comes back to the Islanders. Where I think Ladd stands out down there is his puck movement, passing, and vision. That part of his game makes him one of BST's best looking forwards.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Leo is better than any alternatives at the moment. Strong on the PK and defensively but adds nothing on the offensive side.

He's a black hole offensively. We need to improve on his position for sure, but we're just working with what the roster has right now.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
How is Ladd doing right now? It seems he doesn't lighten it up. In AHL.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I don't think Leo, Ladd, or anyone else for that matter, is dressing over a better alternative because of his contract anymore. Lou and Barry seem to be making big boy decisions now and choosing players who deserve to play on merit, not salary. Leo was a healthy scratch for 3 games a few games ago and Ladd is still in the AHL, as it should be.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I would just temper my enthusiasm about Ladd's success in the AHL with this. That league does not have the strongest of skaters down there. I'd have very low expectations of him not getting blown by if he comes back to the Islanders. Where I think Ladd stands out down there is his puck movement, passing, and vision. That part of his game makes him one of BST's best looking forwards.
Fair enough - I'll defer to you on the BP side of things as I rarely, if ever, watch anything but the highlights.

But when it comes to Ladd, there will be a point where he is back up to full strength and showing what he can do. If that ultimately is not going to cut it in the NHL....fine, but its worth it to the team to figure out whether he can do it. Its not like we have so many other great options in Leo, MDC, Kuhnackl and RJ. Especially considering we have the guy signed for the next 3 years. Is his skating any worse than Leos at this point?

Reactions: The Real JT and MJF

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
With the start the team had, they really only need to play .500 hockey for the rest of the regular season to be playoff bound.
At this point, if they miss the playoffs, it means a total and utter collapse that I just can't see from this group, from this coach.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Fair enough - I'll defer to you on the BP side of things as I rarely, if ever, watch anything but the highlights.

But when it comes to Ladd, there will be a point where he is back up to full strength and showing what he can do. If that ultimately is not going to cut it in the NHL....fine, but its worth it to the team to figure out whether he can do it. Its not like we have so many other great options in Leo, MDC, Kuhnackl and RJ. Especially considering we have the guy signed for the next 3 years. Is his skating any worse than Leos at this point?
If we bring Ladd back up we'll find out soon enough.

Reactions: crasherino

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What difference does it make? 2 points is 2 points.
Because they don't play pond hockey in the playoffs and it makes us appear better than we are. Do you really believe we will dominate playoff OT the way we dominate it in the reg. season?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just an FYI, the Islanders have the seventh most regulation wins in the league right now and everyone ahead of them has played more games.
8 of our 19 wins, more than a 40%, are of the OT (6) or SO (2) variety. We've lost once in regular season OT, that is 8 out of 9 times we got the W. We're not going to be that successful in OT at 5 x 5.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Because they don't play pond hockey in the playoffs and it makes us appear better than we are. Do you really believe we will dominate playoff OT the way we dominate it in the reg. season?
IDK, I've always seen it as a positive sign for the playoffs that a team is comfortable playing in (and winning) one goal games during the regular season. For example, I wonder how many close games TB had last year during the regular season and whether that was a problem for them in the playoffs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We are a terrific 5v5 team. I have no reason to doubt we can win a playoff OT.

Reactions: doublechili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->