GDT: #26 New Jersey Devils (9-12-4) @ Toronto Maple Leafs (13-8-3) - 7:30PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
standings don't really matter at this junction. the devils still need to get above 90 points to make the playoffs because other teams will pick it up.

Yeah that's kind of the way I look at it too. We were saying the same things in December last year about how bad the Metro is and we're still in the race. Eventually enough teams will pick it up and get enough OT/SO points that it'll take in the low 90's to make the playoffs. At least you know we'd have a ROW tiebreaker cause shootout wins are unlikely again unless it's against Winnipeg :sarcasm:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Yeah that's kind of the way I look at it too. We were saying the same things in December last year about how bad the Metro is and we're still in the race. Eventually enough teams will pick it up and get enough OT/SO points that it'll take in the low 90's to make the playoffs. At least you know we'd have a ROW tiebreaker cause shootout wins are unlikely again unless it's against Winnipeg :sarcasm:

outside of a islanders collapse it looks like 3 through 7 will be jumbled up in the metro again this year

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
yea seriously he is what he is, if he puts up points I'm fine with him because we don't have that many forwards that can put up points.

The problem is he'll have a few good games, then completely vanish for the next 10+ games. It's like he needs to sit for a game or two to light a fire under his ass, but then after a few games the fire is gone and he becomes a fast idiot again.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Agreed.

That's a horrible thing to say. But a near finished Gomez has more creativity in his body than Zajac. It's sad.

Haha it is a horrible thing to say but he's been useless this year. Aside from winning a faceoff or two I can't stand seeing him constantly out there on the PP, any chance of creativity dies a horrible death. I especially love seeing him awkwardly trying to club home a perfect setup point blank.

goawaygary*

this year the Rags don't look quite as menacing though. And Lundqvists subpar season has extended into December. I think last years run really burned him out. Wouldn't shock me if Detroit takes care of the Rags tomorrow in regulation too. Detroits been very good over their past 9-10 games or so

Philly I think is toast and Washington isn't scaring anybody.

Carolina will be in freefall mode for a top pick. Columbus may pick it up a little but they're not the lunch pail gang they were last year

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ehhh Not enough teams picked it up last year since we were in it until the last few weeks.

No reason to believe anyone outside of Pitt and the Isles to do anything in the Metro. Caps and Rags are not going anywhere fast.

We could catch them if we actually played well consistently...but that is the real catch. We can't play consistently well for enough of a period to take advantage of everyone else's suck.

Our season will go no where because of us...not because other teams are going to get together (because the Caps and Rags aren't very good either and the same for the Leafs and Senators over in the Atlantic).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ehhh Not enough teams picked it up last year since we were in it until the last few weeks.

No reason to believe anyone outside of Pitt and the Isles to do anything in the Metro. Caps and Rags are not going anywhere fast.

We could catch them if we actually played well consistently...but that is the real catch. We can't play consistently well for enough of a period to take advantage of everyone else's suck.

Our season will go no where because of us...not because other teams are going to get together (because the Caps and Rags aren't very good either and the same for the Leafs and Senators over in the Atlantic).

But at the end it still took 92 points. Just like it takes most years. There's only been one year since the lockout I think where the final playoff team had under 90.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
this year the Rags don't look quite as menacing though. And Lundqvists subpar season has extended into December. I think last years run really burned him out. Wouldn't shock me if Detroit takes care of the Rags tomorrow in regulation too. Detroits been very good over their past 9-10 games or so

Philly I think is toast and Washington isn't scaring anybody.

Carolina will be in freefall mode for a top pick. Columbus may pick it up a little but they're not the lunch pail gang they were last year

It's possible but they also missed McDonaugh for a few weeks (Boyle and Stepan too for that matter). Maybe after the long playoff run injuries are finally factoring in for them after they seemed to have been bionic the last few years. Still I think they'll pick it up eventually. Or maybe the Caps after the new year when they get a hang of Trotz's system. The Rangers didn't really pick it up till after the new year with Vigneault last year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But at the end it still took 92 points. Just like it takes most years. There's only been one year since the lockout I think where the final playoff team had under 90.

Ya but everyone is on similar paces right now. It wouldn't take THAT much of a better pace to pass the Rags and Caps.

They are just as inconsistent as us. Third place is just sitting there for someone to go and take it. I am not saying we will do it because right now there is no where near consistent enough play to think that, but it is easily possible on paper because 3-7 in the Metro is bunched up pack right now.

Edit: Also it seems we have more faith in the Caps and Rags then their own fanbases. Half of them what Sather fired over there.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
This is a Toronto team that was blown out by Buffalo. Let's give it a few more games before we decide how the team is playing.

Gomez sure looked good, though

As aggravating as the last game was, we also played very well against the Pens just lacked any finish. Maybe Gomez has sparked this team a little bit, his creativity and skill sure stands out among the rest.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Air Canada Centre... mickey mouse building

docile lemmings......man, the "go leafs go" chant barely had a pulse last night.....sputtered out fast everytime.....

one guy in the section, 'blow leafs blow' kept it going.......oh ****....that was me.:D

good win.....out worked the leafs nicely ...i thought the passing looked good too

need more games like this, get on a roll and gain confidence

ryder was noticeable in a good way.....maybe the press box got to him

....****ing right win! and bonus......its friday yeah

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Time to get rid of the slow old men. Team looks so much better with Jagr, Clowe or a half-assed Elias out of the lineup. Next get rid of Zubrus. I much rather have less talented fresh legs in the lineup.

The team has flowed so much better over the last game and a half and I attribute to who is out.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Time to get rid of the slow old men. Team looks so much better with Jagr, Clowe or a half-assed Elias out of the lineup. Next get rid of Zubrus. I much rather have less talented fresh legs in the lineup.

The team has flowed so much better over the last game and a half and I attribute to who is out.

With the exception of Jagr, I agree. Even if he's not the fastest he's absolute monster along the boards, near impossible to take the puck off. That's an asset no matter what and we could use that in the lineup. But Elias, Clowe and Zubrus are all just slow, physically worn down players that aren't contributing.

Sad as it may be Gomez as been one of our best players these last 2 games. One of the few players showing any creativity and skill, maybe it's throwing our opponents of guard a bit :laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
With the exception of Jagr, I agree. Even if he's not the fastest he's absolute monster along the boards, near impossible to take the puck off. That's an asset no matter what and we could use that in the lineup. But Elias, Clowe and Zubrus are all just slow, physically worn down players that aren't contributing.

Sad as it may be Gomez as been one of our best players these last 2 games. One of the few players showing any creativity and skill, maybe it's throwing our opponents of guard a bit :laugh:
Jagr is the example not the exception...in my opinion. No way in the world should that guy be on a top line for any team in the NHL.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

I was about to say the samething. With all the injuries this team as never looked better since the first month, strange.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Let's wait until they play a better team to anoint this team as better. It's true that they were faster and hungrier last night, but the Leafs are a mess in their own zone

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I liked the Cammalleri-Henrique-Ryder line a lot.

Also, Steve Bernier. This guy has been great given how horrible he was last year. This is the type of play I hoped for after the lockout year.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Let's wait until they play a better team to anoint this team as better. It's true that they were faster and hungrier last night, but the Leafs are a mess in their own zone

We saw the same thing against Pittsburgh with a half bench...the team was visibly faster and more engaging.

Speed and younger legs will not make up for the lack of talent and eventually the scrubs will make more mistakes and get pinned down in their own zone more than the slow vets but it sure is a more pleasing product to watch.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I liked the Cammalleri-Henrique-Ryder line a lot.

Also, Steve Bernier. This guy has been great given how horrible he was last year. This is the type of play I hoped for after the lockout year.

I agree.. They were fast, something you don't see much of on this team, and had great chemistry.. That's a line I would like to see more of, because it could be a good line for a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad