GDT: #26 New Jersey Devils (9-12-4) @ Toronto Maple Leafs (13-8-3) - 7:30PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Doesn't mean we don't miss him, that just means he's being mis-used.

I wouldn't call it "misused". There a lot of things at play, both deference to a super star as well as necessity. DeBoer has to tread lightly with a player like Jagr, not only for Jagr's sake, but for the sake of losing the room.

I don't really like that type of high maintenance situation.

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
We've looked much more like a team than a group of individuals the past couple of games.

Could that have something to do with certain players being out of the lineup and others being brought in? It's possible.

Any system needs the right players, not necessarily the best players.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I wouldn't call it "misused". There a lot of things at play, both deference to a super star as well as necessity. DeBoer has to tread lightly with a player like Jagr, not only for Jagr's sake, but for the sake of losing the room.

I don't really like that type of high maintenance situation.

I should have said misued out of necessity, but I agree.

I want Jagr back as soon as possible but at the same time if he's out for a while, and team shows they can score in bunches in his absence, maybe Deboer won't rely on him so heavily when he comes back.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
or Elias or Havlat or Salvador

we are better without them on the ice - that's what you saw last night and at Pittsburgh too.

Havlat, who's that? Another waste of time reclamation project. Bringing him in hoping he would compliment Patty has done nothing at all. The only redeeming thing about that deal is that he's cheap.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Havlat, who's that? Another waste of time reclamation project. Bringing him in hoping he would compliment Patty has done nothing at all. The only redeeming thing about that deal is that he's cheap.

And that it's only 1 year.

We're still stuck with Zubrus and Clowe on the books and clogging up either cap space/line depth.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I should have said misued out of necessity, but I agree.

I want Jagr back as soon as possible but at the same time if he's out for a while, and team shows they can score in bunches in his absence, maybe Deboer won't rely on him so heavily when he comes back.

All hail Jagr, however, he finally looks done to me.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All hail Jagr, however, he finally looks done to me.

He can still generate opportunities, he can still handle the puck, he can still hold on to the puck and do things in tight situations most players can't...

He just can't skate anymore... it is a huge drag when you are waiting for grandpa to up the stairs and that is your first line...I think he can be a good bottom 6 player, but you run the risk of upsetting him diminishing his role...Normally I would say who cares, but I think that would disturb the locker room a lot.

I think trading him is the only solution personally.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
He can still generate opportunities, he can still handle the puck, he can still hold on to the puck and do things in tight situations most players can't...

He just can't skate anymore... it is a huge drag when you are waiting for grandpa to up the stairs and that is your first line...I think he can be a good bottom 6 player, but you run the risk of upsetting him diminishing his role...Normally I would say who cares, but I think that would disturb the locker room a lot.

Since it looks like Gomez is going to stay I would like to see how those two play together. I liked what I saw from that period and a half, and I wish that they can produce. Gomez might be better than Zubrus. I agree with you about Jagr being traded. 2 teams I could see him doing good on are the kings and Pens. I did not see much chemistry with Elias or Cammalleri. Looks like Cammalleri can score just about on any line.

Last edited:

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007

Seriously?

Did any of you watch him the last couple of games before getting hit against the Penguins? He can still skate. When he's playing with Zajac who screws up every chance Jagr creates for him or when he's playing with different players on every shift, how do you expect him to have any continuity in his game?

I'm sick of people ripping on Jagr when really his game hasn't fallen off much since last year. In fact I'll go on record and say that he's quicker on his skates this year than he was last.

Jagr looked amazing with Gomez against the Penguins. The only thing he's not doing as well this year so far is scoring goals. He's been setting players up very well and 80% of Cammalleri's goals, Jagr's assisted on anyways.

Is this how you treat your leading scorer?

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
Since it looks like Gomez is going to stay I would like to see how those two play together. I liked what I saw from that period and a half, and I wish that they can produce. Gomez might be better than Zubrus. I agree with you about Jagr being traded. 2 teams I could see him doing good on are the kings and Pens. I did not see much chemistry with Elias or Cammalleri. Looks like Cammalleri can score just about on any line.

Although when Cammelleri was paired with Jagr, he looked more dangerous. So Jagr misses one game in which Cammelleri scores one goal and suddenly the Devils don't need Jagr anymore?:shakehead:help:

If I recall, Jagr's the one that's been assisting on 75% of Cammalleri's goals.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
No I meant it in the way of offensive zone cycling. For some strange reason when he was paired with Zubrus they spent so much time in the offensive zone. Was weird. This season that pressure is not to the same standard. That's what I meant. They are not clicking in that way.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I think him and Zubrus had the 3 highest offensive Corsi of any top line last year. That did not usually lead to goals but they drew a lot of penalties. That is probably why some say Jagr looks slower, it's because they need to back check more. And he still does have some speed. I remember when he out hustled that Calgary player for the icing then they scored with five seconds left. But he still does have some.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
I think him and Zubrus had the 3 highest offensive Corsi of any top line last year. That did not usually lead to goals but they drew a lot of penalties.

I suggest you look at something, who was Jagr's full time center last season? Zajac right?

Zajac was a great possession player last season, and possession is Jagr's forte. This season for some odd reason, when ever Jagr would try and gain some momentum by cycling the puck in the offensive zone, Zajac seemed to find a way of completely killing that momentum and waste any chances Jagr was creating. If you look at Jagr's body language, he hasn't given up but he's clearly frustrated. I don't think however that it's not something that can't be fixed, all Jagr needs is consecutive multipoint games coinciding with Devils wins and I can bet that the Jagr of 2013-14 will be back in full force.

I have no idea why but it seems like the Devils have abandoned their puck possession game in 2014-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad