3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
'
If he's waiver exempt, might not hurt to let him work on his game in Hartford, just until he gets on a hot streak again.

Agree. I don’t think he’s exempt but maybe there’s some “conditioning” stint they could use to get Georgiev games in Hartford.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I had to watch on delay today. I know some people took exception to my pointing out Miller's lack of phyical play, but do you not agree he's so much better of a player by adding it to his game? He doesn't have to be Darius Kasparaitus but he looked great today just playing the body when it was the right hockey play.

My point was Miller is not trying to force it as a primary objective. For illustration, Trouba, Smith and Lindgren would go after to make a heavy hit as a primary objective. Miller will have a few of these as he gets more comfortable but he’s been plenty physical without big hits.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He was always a long-term project. Lafreniere was supposed to be ready. So was Kakko.

What's the ballpark on how many times this has to happen before the Rangers have something to do with it?
Personally, I think Kakko and Laf could've used time in the AHL to get their game together. It did wonders for Chytil and Shesterkin last year.

But they have proven that they're NHL ready. They're just not NHL dominant yet on the scoresheet.

I'm not watching Kakko's play this season and thinking "this kid doesn't belong." Occasionally, Laf looks a little lost, but that was also how Kakko looked last year.

Look at it this way: they both look on par with how Chytil looked last year, with even higher upside. With kids, you have to be patient and wait for them to mature.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Also to note, this is the second time this year we’ve given up zero high-danger scoring chances in a game at 5v5. The defensive turnaround for this group this season has been remarkable.

I know the offense has been inconsistent, but we’ve also gone long stretches, sometimes all of these overlapping, without Chytil driving possession in favorable matchups, Panarin being Panarin, and Mika being Casey Mittelstadt instead of one of the best goal-scorers in the league.

IMO uncontrollable (to an extent) circumstances negative affected results so far than anything else.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Not even just edgy but like, I don't know, Lafreniere and Kakko just look afraid all the time. They just need to like take the puck and "GRRRRR!" I don't know how else to describe it.
Kakko and Laf went from aggressive alphas on the ice to “afraid” like you said. I thought the guys we were drafting would be shooting way more based off their YouTube highlights and I thought they were exactly what the team was missing. But now they play more passive and afraid to have the puck.
Still don’t know if it’s a nerves/confidence thing being young and inexperienced or a Quinn thing where he isn’t letting them play how they played to #2 and #1 overall. Either way it’s criminal they aren’t getting PP time to develop their offense and boost confidence.

Reactions: Machinehead

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
That’s why I don’t get why Kinks get stars for this game. In a contrast to Georgiev maybe who’d probably find a way to lose this game for us too.
He made no mistakes in a calm game for him. That's exactly the type of performance we needed yesterday.

Credit where credit is due.

Reactions: Cmox

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's good that they're driving play but I can also see why they're not scoring. They get into the zone effectively but they're not very creative. I don't think Quinn knows how to teach NHL offense to guys who have never done it. Guys just kind of do what they do. That's good for guys like Panarin but I think we need somebody to bring in a plan with the puck the way Martin has established a plan without the puck.

Please show me a team doing creative offense without top creative players making them?

A good outside example - it’s funny how all of the sudden Minnesota became a must watch hockey with addition of Kaprisov.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
According to some around here, not you, the problem is that Quinn doesn't let guys "do what they do." And I firmly disagree that we don't have a plan with the puck. The intended offensive zone plan is pretty damn clear when the guys are executing it.

I think the kids are creative, but I don't think either has fully figured out where to be and where to go in a way that's instinctual. I don't mean natural instinct, I mean trained instinct. If you're not going to the right place with the puck (either carrying or passing) and you're not going to the right place without the puck, then the amount of creativity you'll ever be able to show is pretty low. I'm really not sure what a different structure would do to bring that out of them. The only thing that can do it is experience.

There was a moment in the game today where Lafrenière popped the puck into the corner from the half wall, Chytil corralled it, but there were two Bruins there. Lafrenière paused, and then all of the sudden was like "oh! Maybe I should go help out!" By the time he got there, it was too late and the puck was going the other way. Chytil did a lot of the same thing 2 years ago. He did less of the same thing last year. He rarely does that anymore this year, because following up on the play like that has become instinctual. Kakko did a lot of the same thing last year and is doing less of it this year. He still takes too long to shoot the puck sometimes, for example, but he's still shooting it more quickly and with more on it than he was last year.

90% of the problems I see with these guys is timing related. Again, I'm not sure there's anything that can improve that besides experience.

A+ post

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Please show me a team doing creative offense without top creative players making them?

A good outside example - it’s funny how all of the sudden Minnesota became a must watch hockey with addition of Kaprisov.
I haven’t watched I know he was already talented and spent a few years in the K but is that the difference between him and Kakko/Laf? More years developing? Or does Minnesota let him run wild out there and do his thing?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He made no mistakes in a calm game for him. That's exactly the type of performance we needed yesterday.

Credit where credit is due.

Absolutely! Just don’t think it’s a star worthy when there are so many other candidates.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I haven’t watched I know he was already talented and spent a few years in the K but is that the difference between him and Kakko/Laf? More years developing? Or does Minnesota let him run wild out there and do his thing?

That exactly is the difference. Need patience with our prospects because they are at least a couple of years away.

A few of us who watched KHL knew how big of a talent Kaprisov is. My money were solidly on him being a top Calder candidate and he’s not disappointing, tbh it was good for him to join Minnesota.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Look at it this way: they both look on par with how Chytil looked last year, with even higher upside. With kids, you have to be patient and wait for them to mature.

That’s a fine way to look at it, but the bottom line for me is that they f***ing better look that way at a minimum. Comparing 1 and 2OAs to late first rounders is a tough look and has me thinking that many here are ok with settling.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kakko is 3rd man high alot. The second the play starts to break down, he is getting back on D. He is playing well; just not committing to the offensive side of the puck enough; maybe. Made a few really good plays in this game that led to chances for others/

So is Buchnevich! LWs are mostly exempted (more leaning toward forecheck than backcheck) in this system.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That one wasn’t on Laf it’s on Kakko. And it’s a downer because it shows that the guy isn’t thinking with killer instinct. He had a whole lot of net to shoot at - no reason whatsoever to pass that puck.

Ridiculously good game overall though. Solid in every facet.
He is still stuck on "wanting to be liked". Doesn't yet realize they would "like him to", put the puck in the net and stop being so damned unselfish. That was a gimme, a sure fire goal he passed up.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Howden is my number one star for this game. What a performance he allowed the rest of the team to put on today by not lacing em up
You know what's funny? I didn't even realize he wasn't in the lineup. It just goes to show how little effect he has on any game that he plays, most of the time just not noticeable. Thusly, me not realizing he wasn't playing.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Georgiev needs the team to play in front of him like they did today. He hasn't been good but its hard to get your confidence back when you need to make every save to win. They next soft game we have he should get the net.
Theyre not going to. Collectively, they feel Georgie screwed the whole team by enticing the altercation with Tony. Okay, call me crazy, but no one can tell me that hasn't crossed many players minds. Could have and should have been avoided, one way or the other. Btw, WHO blew the whistle? Cant imagine Kreider running to Mommy and Daddy saying his brother got into a fight with bis other brother from another mother.
Seriously, who told?

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Personally, I think Kakko and Laf could've used time in the AHL to get their game together. It did wonders for Chytil and Shesterkin last year.

But they have proven that they're NHL ready. They're just not NHL dominant yet on the scoresheet.

I'm not watching Kakko's play this season and thinking "this kid doesn't belong." Occasionally, Laf looks a little lost, but that was also how Kakko looked last year.

Back to Machineheads point, how often in NHL history has the 1st OA not been visible on the scoresheet? How often has the 2nd OA in their 2nd year not only not visible on the scoresheet, but less so than their first year?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
That’s a fine way to look at it, but the bottom line for me is that they f***ing better look that way at a minimum. Comparing 1 and 2OAs to late first rounders is a tough look and has me thinking that many here are ok with settling.
Seriously. I love Chytil but if he is the bar by which we measure 1st and 2nd overall talents against, that's settling to a tee.

Reactions: Synergy27 and Cmox

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Kakko and Laf went from aggressive alphas on the ice to “afraid” like you said. I thought the guys we were drafting would be shooting way more based off their YouTube highlights and I thought they were exactly what the team was missing. But now they play more passive and afraid to have the puck.
Still don’t know if it’s a nerves/confidence thing being young and inexperienced or a Quinn thing where he isn’t letting them play how they played to #2 and #1 overall. Either way it’s criminal they aren’t getting PP time to develop their offense and boost confidence.

i guess its a chicken or egg argument but i dont see how being given pp time is an answer to lifting confidence...both have had it tho not pp1. there's been plenty of times laf has fumbled with a puck on an easy outlet when a guy came at him quicker than he expected - to me i dont see how that helps his confidence.

for one this year is such an outlier to try and evaluate. but esp in lafs case two things i havent seen talked about is how much of his game comes off of being THE guy and that, despite somewhat comparable resumes, hes different than a crosby, mcdavid, mackinnon, or matthews mentally. this year he's just at a physical disadvantage in a lot ways, not in strength but skating - hes just behind the pace of play at times and it feeds down to everything else because he can't do everything and it makes him overthink. the best example is his back to back world juniors. his first as an underager he was basically a wallflower - then the next year it was his time and he knew it - and he was dominant in literally every way and his impact kept building off of that. i expect we see a very different player in year 2 with him. the other part about him mentally, i mean despite being a prodigy and a big name in canada for a long time...he was still a lot more shielded in a lot of ways than those other guys. most moved at young ages in the name of hockey, or in mcdavids case spent his entire developmental career in the epicenter of the hockey spotlight. laf never went far from home. he certainly seems plenty confident and mature for his age, but to me he just comes across as much more of a kid right now than those guys were at the same age. seems like he's always been something of a homebody and this is a major change in a lot of ways. combine that with the pandemic rules and that he probably hasn't seen his family in the longest time of his life. it just feels like so many things about this season are outsized negative impacts on him personally that there's no way to fairly evaluate him right now - and i don't think theres necessarily an on ice solution for him to bring him along. it just takes time for a lot of adjustments to happen along with physical development.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don’t want to seem bipolar here but i do believe we can win the Stanley Cup this year. We might be the favorties
Yeah, surely we "can win", have to get in first. Secondly, Shesty has got to be Hank primetime, thirdly the 2nd coming of Jesus would need to be a Rangers fan.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

how many 1st and 2nd overall picks ever spend time in the AHL? the fact that they would be on such a list is enough to be alarming. let alone the fact that Laf is one of the best 1st overall in the last 10 years and Kakko was by far the most NHL ready player in his draft. did the entire hockey world just get it wrong then?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
This is the first game where I Mika looked like Mika this season..

He's still shanking one-timers though.. He needs to put some extra time in after practice

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad