25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#3

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Dog days of summer so I thought this would be a good time to try to put this together.

Just picked Patrick 2nd obviously and with a ton of new faces both already on the team and ready to debut in '17 it feels like the beginning of a new era for the franchise.

25 is also a tidy number so of course there's that as well.

Spanning the beginning of the Lindros era (give or take) til now which players make up the board's consensus for best of the last 25 years? I added goalies as well because I want a hard and fast and more or less "definitive" list.

Use your own criteria for your decision and after you vote if you feel like it post who you voted for and why.

Thanks all. Lemme know if I forgot anyone in the poll.

Winner of Poll #2 is: LeClair, John.
Link to Previous Poll:http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2378415

25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)
#1: Lindros, Eric (93-00) 486-290-369-659- 84%
#2: LeClair, John (95-04) 649-333-310-643-42%
giphy.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hart Trophy Finishes

Giroux - 3rd place, 4th place, 16th place
Recchi - 6th place, 23rd place, 25th place
Brind'Amour - N/A

Pretty easy decision for me; it's Giroux.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Hart Trophy Finishes

Brind'Amour - N/A

He will win. No argument there... I just find greatest to be a fairly subjective term. It's all about what the word "great" means to you, which is what makes this fun.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Hart Trophy Finishes

Brind'Amour - N/A

Rod Brind'Amour

633 GP
235 G
366 A
0.94 PPG while a Flyer while playing Selke caliber defense.
I love Giroux, but Brind'Amour was a better player. points are not everything in making a judgment of a player.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
BrindAmour's scoring has to be put in context of the era he played in. He had the 23rd most points in the 90s, and the 42nd best P/GP.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/1990s-nhl-players-stats.html

In the 2010s, Giroux is 4th in points and 12th in P/GP.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/2010s-nhl-players-stats.html

Giroux is certainly a better scorer. Brind'Amour was more well rounded in my opinion and had an unparalleled work ethic that makes him the ultimate Flyer in my eyes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Rod Brind'Amour

633 GP
235 G
366 A
0.94 PPG while a Flyer while playing Selke caliber defense.
I love Giroux, but Brind'Amour was a better player. points are not everything in making a judgment of a player.

Thats why I used Hart Trophy finishes instead of Art Ross.

Giroux had at least 3 seasons where he was deemed more valuable to the Flyers than any season Brindy played for us.

Brindy also played in a much higher scoring era. I would imagine Girouxs era adjusted point totals are better.

Brindys defense makes it closer but Girouxs become very good defensively as well.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Thats why I used Hart Trophy finishes instead of Art Ross.

Giroux had at least 3 seasons where he was deemed more valuable to the Flyers than any season Brindy played for us.

Brindy also played in a much higher scoring era. I would imagine Girouxs era adjusted point totals are better.

Brindys defense makes it closer but Girouxs become very good defensively as well.

Right, but there also isnt a Lindros caliber player on this team next to Giroux. Does Giroux still get those same MVP votes? I dont know.
there were also fewer teams when Brind'Amour was here. the talent poor was not watered down like it is now with 30 teams(well 31 now)
We will agree to disagree. I am not trying to take away anything Giroux has done. Most know I love the guy. I just have my opinion.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I was going to go with Giroux but I went with Gagne. Now I think I should have stuck with Giroux.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I went with Rex in the earlier Polls... I'll or only stay with him until he's selected.

That said, I suppose G should get in Third... but Rico might arguably be better at this point, based on his full career and G still with Seasons ahead of him to crank up Stats.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right, but there also isnt a Lindros caliber player on this team next to Giroux. Does Giroux still get those same MVP votes? I dont know.
there were also fewer teams when Brind'Amour was here. the talent poor was not watered down like it is now with 30 teams(well 31 now)
We will agree to disagree. I am not trying to take away anything Giroux has done. Most know I love the guy. I just have my opinion.

The talent pool argument is valid..but Giroux not having a Lindros actually works against him and it worked for Brind'Amour. The Big E was facing the more difficult match-ups, freeing Rod the Bod up to feast on 2nd and 3rd D pairings. Giroux has not had that luxury. He also hasn't yet played with a 1D in their Prime like Brindy did with Desjardins. Timonen was past his prime once Giroux peaked and Prongers brief stint was before Giroux became the go-to-guy.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'm stuck between Giroux and Desjardins. I think it is so hard to find a true #1 d-man in this league, that I am forced to go with Desjardins.

I'm thinking for me it will be Desjardins, Giroux, Recchi, Brind'Amour, Gagne, Timonen.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Regarding the era in question, one year Lemieux got 160 points in an injury-shortened season and Pat friggin Lafontaine was 2nd with 148 points. I mean that's pretty nuts. I'd put Giroux in just about the same category as Lafontaine and despite Brindy's defensive awesomeness, I just can't see him in Lafontaine's category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad