25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#1

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Cool idea. I'm interested to see how Richards, Carter, Giroux, and Voracek are viewed versus the prelockout group.

I will be curious to see how Mike and Jeff are ranked. At the time 99% of my fellow Flyer fans were calling for Jeff's head while just a few of us had him ranked higher than Mike. Jerseys were made with his nickname and he truly was a goat here. Yep will be curious.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Top echelon should be Lindros, LeClair, Recchi, Giroux, Desjardins, Brind'Amour, Gagne, and Timonen

After that it gets really tricky IMO

Edit - forgot Gagne

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And your list is where again? Oh wait...

I figure the bottom 10 or so of this list will be pretty average players all things considered. The guys who round out the poll will likely be fan favorites, personal preferences etc. Talbot, Falloon, Upshall were some of the guys I personally liked when they were around so I put them in consideration

I wasn't talking ****, it was a legit question. Relax dude. :laugh:

I just thought it was funny to see all those big names... and then a 4th liner who spent less than two full seasons here.

There's 54 names on that list, I think it'll be pretty easy to pick 25 guys without needing to mention a guy like Talbot. Even if it did get down to lesser players, there's plenty more who were bigger fan favorites than he was. That's all I'm saying.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I'm curious as to why..

LeClair is my all-time favorite player but Lindros was clearly a better player.

You didnt ask me but since I did the same (Leclair), I'll trow in my $0.02.

My preference here is based on the level of reliability - Lindros's injury history and the drama with him and his parents I feel he was a distraction. It brought down my perception of his value. No doubt the greatest potential and best talent on the list, but ...

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
This was put together quickly while sitting at my desk at work. Don't blame me for missing people or what not because I didn't spend nearly enough time getting critical with it.

Lindros
Giroux
LeClair
Recchi
Desjardins
Gagne
Timonen
Brind'Amour
Briere
Richards
Pronger
Carter
Voracek
Primeau
Hartnell
Simmonds
Renberg
Forsberg
Coburn
Therien
Roenick
Johnsson
Knuble
Couturier
Mason

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This was put together quickly while sitting at my desk at work. Don't blame me for missing people or what not because I didn't spend nearly enough time getting critical with it.

Lindros
Giroux
LeClair
Recchi
Desjardins
Gagne
Timonen
Brind'Amour
Briere
Richards
Pronger
Carter
Voracek
Primeau
Hartnell
Simmonds
Renberg
Forsberg
Coburn
Therien
Roenick
Johnsson
Knuble
Couturier
Mason

I feel like Cechmanek belongs but not sure who to remove for him.

Otherwise it's a strong list.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
voted Leclair. i know I am in the minority.

You didnt ask me but since I did the same (Leclair), I'll trow in my $0.02.

My preference here is based on the level of reliability - Lindros's injury history and the drama with him and his parents I feel he was a distraction. It brought down my perception of his value. No doubt the greatest potential and best talent on the list, but ...

Not just the better talent, he also had the better career, as evident by his selection to the Hall of Fame.

He first 7 years he had a top 5 PPG in NHL history.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia

Lindros
Giroux
LeClair
Recchi
Desjardins
Gagne
Timonen
Brind'Amour
Briere
Richards
Pronger
Carter
Voracek
Primeau
Hartnell
Simmonds
Renberg
Forsberg
Coburn
Therien
Roenick
Johnsson
Knuble
Couturier
Mason

Pronger, Briere, and Forsberg too high IMO.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I didn't understand the Leclair > Lindros arguments then and I certainly don't now either. It can be tough to compare players across wide gaps of time, but the two were next to each other. It's overthinking the problem, like voting Brogdon for ROY.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I didn't understand the Leclair > Lindros arguments then and I certainly don't now either. It can be tough to compare players across wide gaps of time, but the two were next to each other. It's overthinking the problem, like voting Brogdon for ROY.

There's really no defensible argument to be made to have Leclair over Lindros

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Personally I believe that with an open mind it is near impossible to vote for any Player on the List besides #88... His PPG alone dictates it... being 100% fair about it.

I agree that the next Poll for #2 will be much more competitive... I'm planning on Picking Recchi... but that is not an easy choice, with so many possibilities that could be reasonably argued.

This will take a while... but should be fun. Thanks for the hard work put into it... and all the fine comments to be posted. :popcorn:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lindros had one of the best 8 year stretches in league history during his time with the Flyers. He averaged 1.35 PPG in the deadpuck era while missing 176 regular season games due to injuries & a lockout. He racked up 946 penalty minutes too. He put up 44 goals & 97 points in 65 games as a 20 year old on an below average team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad