25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#1

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Judging by the responses, Eric Desjardins will be highly underrated here. I gave him a pity vote here, but #2 should be between him and Giroux, IMO.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
For me '1 and #2 are not debatable.

It's Lindros and Leclair all the way.

After them it gets interesting

Giroux
Richards
Carter
Desjardins
Roenick
Primeau
Recchi
Renberg
Brind'Amour
Timonen
Gagne
Briere
Hartnell

Merchant

Feb 3, 2008
Judging by the responses, Eric Desjardins will be highly underrated here. I gave him a pity vote here, but #2 should be between him and Giroux, IMO.
My thoughts as well re: Desjardins. I think a lot of people remember the decent-but-not-great version of him from 2002-2004 and forget how amazing he was in the 90's. He was in the tier right behind the HoF / Norris winners of those years like Leetch, Blake, and MacInnis.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Voted for Hextall, not only because of when he played for the Flyers, but because the poll specifically states the years 1992-2017, and as such, Hextall being back in the Flyers org but as the GM has truly been a blessing. Such a turn of events with a more than competent GM.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You didnt ask me but since I did the same (Leclair), I'll trow in my $0.02.

My preference here is based on the level of reliability - Lindros's injury history and the drama with him and his parents I feel he was a distraction. It brought down my perception of his value. No doubt the greatest potential and best talent on the list, but ...

this is my thinking on this as well. No doubt Lindros was a great player. But there was just some things about him that brought him down a notch. His meddling parents, the questioning of teams docs publicly. even if it was true some things need to be kept in house. the end of his time here he definitely soured on me. But i will still vote him 2nd OV

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I would put Brind'Amour ahead of Giroux. He was the better player. Mark Howe is still ahead of Desjardins as well.

I believe that is a safe statement that even Rico's family would not argue against... Unfortunately Mark's departure after the 1991-92 Season precludes his inclusion... as I would assume that the '92 earliest limit means the 1992-93 Season... This IMO is a real shame because I loved Mark, and he might have given Lindros a run for his money on this Poll... if the full body of his work could be taken into consideration.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That Howe was a better skater than most if not all of our D group at the time during the alumni game was both incredible and disheartening. In terms of playing a single game rather than a whole season he looked like he'd be able to outplay Luke Schenn.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was a big Niittymaki fan, but c'mon. The only goaltender who has come through here, stayed for multiple years, and never made a playoff start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad