GDT: #24 // Stars VS Oilers // Nov 27 @ 7:00 PM MST // TV: SN-W

When will Chia be fired?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Playing struggling team plagued with injuries? Check.

Playing against a back up? Check.

Playing a "Must Win" game? Check.

We lose this one. I'm thinking we go down 3-1 after outshooting the stars 30-17 with their back up playing lights out. Sounds familiar.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sure it would be, but I highly doubt someone is taking on that much salary at this time of year and giving up a pick.

The Oilers could retain if necessary. Just don't add any more useless players to the roster, the team is a chore to watch as is.
So what's the goaltending plan if Talbot is dealt?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Oilers could retain if necessary. Just don't add any more useless players to the roster, the team is a chore to watch as is.
So what's the goaltending plan if Talbot is dealt?
Not sure that's really even a concern. A shooter tutor that is only hung up by one corner is better at this point.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not sure that's really even a concern. A shooter tutor that is only hung up by one corner is better at this point.

Ah, so this is all being pinned on Talbot I see.
You just watch if/when the shine from Nilsson err... Koskinen wears off and they have Montoya to pick up the pieces while Talbot plays better elsewhere.

I'm not saying that Talbot hasn't been poor but if you think that dumping Talbot is the answer to the Oilers goaltending woes with no viable replacement lined up and putting everything on the shoulders of a 30 year old who has had a nice 8 game stretch in the NHL playing behind a tire fire defense, you're going to be disappointed.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
How quickly we forget....16/17?

There's no advantage to trading Talbot now. He has little value except to someone who thinks he can rebound in a more defensive system. So return would be negligible.

Keep him as a backup and hope he rebounds. He played well before so you hope he turns it around.

If some team wants to give you a young player with 'potential or something, then yeah...maybe you do that. Otherwise...why bother..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You just watch if/when the shine from Nilsson err... Koskinen wears off and they have Montoya to pick up the pieces while Talbot plays better elsewhere.

I'm not saying that Talbot hasn't been poor but if you think that dumping Talbot is the answer to the Oilers goaltending woes with no viable replacement lined up and putting everything on the shoulders of a 30 year old who has had a nice 8 game stretch in the NHL playing behind a tire fire defense, you're going to be disappointed.
Never really said to dump. More suggesting what would happen if PHI is actually looking at him.

Have no idea where that rumor came from, but if it's true we aren't exactly going to see much of a return. I also don't think if we are trading him that it's going to be hard to find a replacement that is playing as well as he is.

I will say this. At some point Talbot needs to be better. This isn't new to this year. 6 consecutive games with 3 or more GA. 10 0f 15 with 3 or more GA. He deserves to be pinned for a chunk of blame

Reactions: Oilers in NS

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

He hasnt been the solution.

We could get some cap room for the AHL level goaltending replacement that he offers.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Dumping Talbot because his backup has had a pretty good 8 game stretch would be a classic Oilers move.

It would be nice if Talbot had a pretty good 8 game stretch at some point from the beginning of last season to now.

Reactions: Oilhawks

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
lowe_3.jpg
I don't know what it is about this picture but this guy looks like he knows a thing or two about winning.

Reactions: Canada Drai

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
He hasnt been the solution.

We could get some cap room for the AHL level goaltending replacement that he offers.
We don't need cap room until Chia has disappeared. He'll only screw it up anyway.

Keep Talbot for now unless a good return and trade him at the deadline..when Chia can't do any more damage.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

He's been better than Talbot but that's not saying much for either goalie. Running with Koskinen for the rest of the season just sounds like a disaster.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Never really said to dump. More suggesting what would happen if PHI is actually looking at him.

Have no idea where that rumor came from, but if it's true we aren't exactly going to see much of a return. I also don't think if we are trading him that it's going to be hard to find a replacement that is playing as well as he is.

I will say this. At some point Talbot needs to be better. This isn't new to this year. 6 consecutive games with 3 or more GA. 10 0f 15 with 3 or more GA. He deserves to be pinned for a chunk of blame

Here's the thing, he has a history of supplying at the very least, solid backup play. You can't just throw anybody in there and assume that they can fill the void. I'm looking more at Talbot's bounce back ability than what we've seen this season and a good chunk of last.

However, he does appear to be broken so perhaps a trade is best for both parties (seems like we say this with every Oiler player over the last decade that contracts Oileritis eventually). I'm just saying that depending on a 30 year old Koskinen who has only had a few good NHL games in his entire career and a backup who can't even hack it in the AHL or whatever new young goalie they're ready to ruin is a plan that's destined to fail. It's a good plan to get Chia fired sooner so it's a positive in that sense.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Here's the thing, he has a history of supplying at the very least, solid backup play. You can't just throw anybody in there and assume that they can fill the void. I'm looking more at Talbot's bounce back ability than what we've seen this season and a good chunk of last.

However, he does appear to be broken so perhaps a trade is best for both parties (seems like we say this with every Oiler player over the last decade that contracts Oileritis eventually). I'm just saying that depending on a 30 year old Koskinen who has only had a few good NHL games in his entire career and a backup who can't even hack it in the AHL or whatever new young goalie they're ready to ruin is a plan that's destined to fail. It's a good plan to get Chia fired sooner so it's a positive in that sense.
As it stands now he isn't providing anything even in a backup role.

I suspect they'll see what he can do over a longer stretch, but if he doesn't get going by xmas I could see him gone.

Heck how long until PC is thinking about waiving him?

Reactions: GMofOilers

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
We don't need cap room until Chia has disappeared. He'll only screw it up anyway.

Keep Talbot for now unless a good return and trade him at the deadline..when Chia can't do any more damage.

That's our best option. If we are out of it, some team might lose a goalie and be pressured into getting one ASAP

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
He's been better than Talbot but that's not saying much for either goalie. Running with Koskinen for the rest of the season just sounds like a disaster.

5-9-1 vs 5-2-1....if running with Koskinen sounds like a disaster then what would running with Talbot be?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
5-9-1 vs 5-2-1....if running with Koskinen sounds like a disaster then what would running with Talbot be?
I didn't say run with Talbot. You can still keep him but I'm not convinced that Koskinen is a permanent solution either. He's been good so far. Not great, but good.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Would be nice if the team followed suit.
They did. 3rd period of Winnipeg game through a couple weeks and went 8-4-1.

I don't remember Talbot stealing any of those wins and some cases the team won or got a point in spite of him

Reactions: Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They did. 3rd period of Winnipeg game through a couple weeks and went 8-4-1.

I don't remember Talbot stealing any of those wins and some cases the team won or got a point in spite of him
Yeeeah McDavid had a lot to do with that whole Winnipeg thing.

Talbot was excellent against the Caps but got blamed for the single goal he let in.

The Oilers will only go as far as McDavid drags them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad