23/24 Between Game Chatter

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So after our promising win streak, we limp into the All-Star break with a 2-5-1 record and some missed opportunities. At this rate I'd say making the playoffs is a big hill for us to climb.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
After last night, Daccord is currently 3rd in the league in Sv% (.923) and GA/G (2.33) behind only Hill (VGK) and Hellebuyck (WPG).

Feels like there isnt a lot of media mention of how well he's doing, am I just missing it?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So, with almost exactly a third of the season to go, the Kraken are in a five team race for the last playoff spot--St Louis, Nashville, Minnie, Calgary and us. None of our competition seems that daunting, it's just that there are so many of them.

Reactions: Igright

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
So, with almost exactly a third of the season to go, the Kraken are in a five team race for the last playoff spot--St Louis, Nashville, Minnie, Calgary and us. None of our competition seems that daunting, it's just that there are so many of them.
And so many three point games make it hard to chart what exactly the Kraken need, points wise, to secure a berth.
The team has been streaky all year. Win nine, lose four, win two, lose two….they probably need need to win at a .700 or .750 clip to avoid missing out.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Am going to see Dune shortly so going to miss this one; wonder if Gru is getting the start again?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Feel like if the Kraken don't win tonight it's time to raise the white flag and sell if we can. Especially with the Flames being a wildcard rival

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Feel like if the Kraken don't win tonight it's time to raise the white flag and sell if we can. Especially with the Flames being a wildcard rival

The Kraken are already nine points out of a wild card spot and would lose most tiebreakers given their few regulation wins etc.

So they need to have more points than those other teams and therefore would need to gain ten more points(or five wins) then anyone else with 22 games remaining.

That would've been a tough task for last seasons team and doesn't seem realstic(at all) for the 2023-24 edition of this team that hasn't shown any kind of consistancy all season long.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The Kraken are already nine points out of a wild card spot and would lose most tiebreakers given their few regulation wins etc.

So they need to have more points than those other teams and therefore would need to gain ten more points(or five wins) then anyone else with 22 games remaining.

That would've been a tough task for last seasons team and doesn't seem realstic(at all) for the 2023-24 edition of this team that hasn't shown any kind of consistancy all season long.
Yeah, tonight just feels like a line in the sand moment.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's becoming the elephant in the room. Matty is having one horrible sophomore slump and it is concerning. He currently has 8 goals and 25 points, which puts him 239th in the league in goals and 248th in the league in scoring. He had 24 goals and 57 points last year. He is projected by ESPN to score 34 points total this year at his present rate of production, a startling 23 point drop. He has gone from a positive plus/minus of +13 to a negative -4. And he continues to get pushed around a lot, playing even smaller than his listed 6'2" and 178 pounds. I'm not counselling panic, but he has a lot of work to do to get back to where he was his rookie year.

Incidentally, at the moment we must have the lowest scoring collection of centres since hockey expansion in 1967. I haven't crunched the numbers but at a casual glance the numbers are woeful.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's becoming the elephant in the room. Matty is having one horrible sophomore slump and it is concerning. He currently has 8 goals and 25 points, which puts him 239th in the league in goals and 248th in the league in scoring. He had 24 goals and 57 points last year. He is projected by ESPN to score 34 points total this year at his present rate of production, a startling 23 point drop. He has gone from a positive plus/minus of +13 to a negative -4. And he continues to get pushed around a lot, playing even smaller than his listed 6'2" and 178 pounds. I'm not counselling panic, but he has a lot of work to do to get back to where he was his rookie year.

I was a little worried about it but he's had 5 pts and +8 in his last 9 games. I think Beniers is coming along. He's still solid 200 ft even when he's not scoring, and I think the scoring is coming back.

Incidentally, at the moment we must have the lowest scoring collection of centres since hockey expansion in 1967. I haven't crunched the numbers but at a casual glance the numbers are woeful.

That is startling. Where are you seeing those numbers?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The Kraken top 3 centers currently account for 75 pts.

The 03-04 Jackets top 3 centers had 83 points, at the end of the year. I haven't found a team yet that has had fewer.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was a little worried about it but he's had 5 pts and +8 in his last 9 games. I think Beniers is coming along. He's still solid 200 ft even when he's not scoring, and I think the scoring is coming back.

That is startling. Where are you seeing those numbers?
A) Hope you are right. He has been real contributor lately, so let's hope he has turned the corner.
B) I just added up the point totals of our centres, and took a very quick glance at a few other teams centres. Nothing definitive. I may do a more detailed analysis after Indian Wells.

Those terrible Caps teams can’t have been better.
Yeah, I may have been more than a touch hyperbolic on that one. :o I should have said "must be among the lowest" rather than "must have the lowest." "Among" is such a nice, sweet little qualifier.

Later edit: Just for the hell of it I checked out the 74/75 Caps stat sheet, the team generally considered to have the worst year in hockey history. Here's the centre totals at the moment:

Caps: 119
Kraken : 98

With a quarter season to go, that's pretty bad, a projected 131 for us. Considered by some to have had the second worst season in hockey history, the 92/93 San Jose Sharks ended up with 143 points from their centres. So maybe not that hyperbolic after all.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
A) Hope you are right. He has been real contributor lately, so let's hope he has turned the corner.
B) I just added up the point totals of our centres, and took a very quick glance at a few other teams centres. Nothing definitive. I may do a more detailed analysis after Indian Wells.

Yeah, I may have been more than a touch hyperbolic on that one. :o I should have said "must be among the lowest" rather than "must have the lowest." "Among" is such a nice, sweet little qualifier.

Later edit: Just for the hell of it I checked out the 74/75 Caps stat sheet, the team generally considered to have the worst year in hockey history. Here's the centre totals at the moment:

Caps: 119
Kraken : 98

With a quarter season to go, that's pretty bad, a projected 131 for us. Considered by some to have had the second worst season in hockey history, the 92/93 San Jose Sharks ended up with 143 points from their centres. So maybe not that hyperbolic after all.

F

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3