Prospect Info: 22nd Overall Tobias Bjornfot, Defence

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I've read otherwise from his coaches when it comes to work ethic.

He may not be a highly active player in game, and he may need major work on his two way play, but I think that Dean would have seen a very talented player he/they could work with.

Maybe. For the record, I think Kaliyev’s “work ethic” concerns are bogus, too. But I do think Dean would have taken one look at an enigmatic Russian kid and steered clear. Just seemed to be his MO.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Maybe. For the record, I think Kaliyev’s “work ethic” concerns are bogus, too. But I do think Dean would have taken one look at an enigmatic Russian kid and steered clear. Just seemed to be his MO.
Just to be clear, Kaliyev was born in Uzbekistan, and move to Staten Island at the age of two. Not sure where you're getting the "Russian" bit. He wouldn't even remember Uzbekistan.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Word on AK is he was the ringer on a garbage team, so he played 30 minutes a game. So his perceived lack of effort was just him managing his stamina.

I tried to double-check this a while ago but couldn't find icetime stats anywhere at all unfortunately.

But it would totally make sense

I can't backcheck either if you make me smoke the whole pack at once

Reactions: DoktorJeep

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Just to be clear, Kaliyev was born in Uzbekistan, and move to Staten Island at the age of two. Not sure where you're getting the "Russian" bit. He wouldn't even remember Uzbekistan.

I understand his family immigrated and he’s a legal American. Uzbekistan is a former Soviet satellite, and both of Kaliyev’s parents are ethnic Russians. Pretty fair to call Kaliyev himself a Russian kid.

Reactions: Jungle Boy

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think the idea is, in the hockey world, he's considered more Russian than American since his household is Russian and, most importantly, he's tabbed as a super talented offensive player with supposed compete issues. He's also aloof, more like someone who just came over v. Tommy O'Sullivan from Boston.

His scouting report reads more like how Russian players are crapped on and then wind up falling in the draft.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I think the idea is, in the hockey world, he's considered more Russian than American since his household is Russian and, most importantly, he's tabbed as a super talented offensive player with supposed compete issues. He's also aloof, more like someone who just came over v. Tommy O'Sullivan from Boston.

His scouting report reads more like how Russian players are crapped on and then wind up falling in the draft.

Yep, that was exactly my original point. I don't think Lombardi would have looked into him

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

In the hockey world, he has represented the United States. He was drafted in the OHL draft (not the CHL Import Draft).

So sure, call him Russian. But USA Hockey and the CHL treat him as an American.

Reactions: lumbergh

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
In the hockey world, he has represented the United States. He was drafted in the OHL draft (not the CHL Import Draft).

So sure, call him Russian. But USA Hockey and the CHL treat him as an American.

And that’s fine. Ultimately this entire debate is superfluous. I don’t find an issue with calling an ethnic Russian with a noticeable accent a Russian kid, but I understand the other side, for sure.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I’m not sure about you dorks, but I’m going to be calling Kaliyev the “leading the league in scoring” kid.

Dude’s going to be such a stud and so many teams are going to be mad they passed on him.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
And that’s fine. Ultimately this entire debate is superfluous. I don’t find an issue with calling an ethnic Russian with a noticeable accent a Russian kid, but I understand the other side, for sure.
Would you attach the word "enigmatic" to a player from Atlanta with a Southern accent that scored 50 goals in juniors? How about a player from Newfoundland with a thick accent?

Why wouldn't Lombardi have looked at Kaliyev? Because he plays into these tropes about foreign players? I understand the reluctance to draft a Russian player due to KHL contract issues, but this whole ethnic stereotyping thing is not smart, particularly when applied to a player who grew up in the US and played junior hockey in North America.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Would you attach the word "enigmatic" to a player from Atlanta with a Southern accent that scored 50 goals in juniors? How about a player from Newfoundland with a thick accent?

Why wouldn't Lombardi have looked at Kaliyev? Because he plays into these tropes about foreign players? I understand the reluctance to draft a Russian player due to KHL contract issues, but this whole ethnic stereotyping thing is not smart, particularly when applied to a player who grew up in the US and played junior hockey in North America.

Yes, I don’t think Lombardi would have looked at Kaliyev. He consistently passed on similar European and Russian players for a decade straight. This is the GM who passed on Erik Karlsson to draft Colton “paint stripes on a kitty cat” Teubert.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yes, I don’t think Lombardi would have looked at Kaliyev. He consistently passed on similar European and Russian players for a decade straight. This is the GM who passed on Erik Karlsson to draft Colton “paint stripes on a kitty cat” Teubert.
I'm not convinced of that. It's the same scouting staff in his ear and they obviously like AK.

I actually don't think things would be that much different if DL was GM right now.

Reactions: TruKingFan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'm not convinced of that. It's the same scouting staff in his ear and they obviously like AK.

I actually don't think things would be that much different if DL was GM right now.
What everyone is leaving out of this discussion is how much ownership may or may not be meddling.
Lie-weekly was the king of it. Remember when he flew to personally talk to Brad Richards, when he was the anointed one that would push us over the top ?

Beckerman has made some comments about how they expect the Kings to compete for the cup every year and even Detroit proved that it is an impossible feat.
Did Lombardi think we were always one player away or did ownership?

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

Lombardi also picked Teubert over Tyler Myers, Jake Gardiner, Luca Sbisa, and Michael Del Zotto. 6 Defenseman drafted within 9 picks of each other and Lombardi chose the wrong one. So I don't buy the suggestion that he passed on Karlsson because he was European, especially considering that was the year he drafted Voynov and Loktionov.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Erik Karlsson wasn't Erik Karlsson at the draft, either. You'll see that just about every Euro defense prospect since gets the "omg look how good he is, he scored more than Karlsson at the same age" because he had a relatively unremarkable 17-18-19 yo season and was 150 pounds soaking wet during the height of the GRITZ movement.

Reactions: kilowatt

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Erik Karlsson wasn't Erik Karlsson at the draft, either. You'll see that just about every Euro defense prospect since gets the "omg look how good he is, he scored more than Karlsson at the same age" because he had a relatively unremarkable 17-18-19 yo season and was 150 pounds soaking wet during the height of the GRITZ movement.

Sens fans HATED the Karlsson pick. Their paper did a story of why it was so bad.

That said, while I'm guilty of this too, we really derailed a thread about Tobias Björnfot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad