GDT: #22 // "Ken Hitchcock Presents" // Oilers @ Ducks // Nov 23 @ 2 PM MST // TV: SN-W

Who is the best Hitchcock?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
For the record, we know Wideman was on the plane Thursday night and Spooner had less turn around before he was in.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I honestly can't figure out which of our bottom 2 forward lines end up getting more ice time.
I donno if I'd wanna be on the ice vs Lucic and Kassian.
Rattie on the 4th line? I really don't know what they can expect him to accomplish down there.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If there’s one guarantee about this game it’s that Aberg scores a goal. Probably Cogliano too.

I liked Aberg. I actually thought we had something with him. He had a wicked wrist shot and could skate. He just got in ManLellans dog house right away and wasn’t given a chance.
I should look and find the posts I wrote about him. I thought he would be good with Drai. He was a shooter.
Not like the Oilers to let someone go and they do good elsewhere

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I honestly can't figure out which of our bottom 2 forward lines end up getting more ice time.
I donno if I'd wanna be on the ice vs Lucic and Kassian.
Rattie on the 4th line? I really don't know what they can expect him to accomplish down there.
I seem to remember him playing 4th line in St Louis under Hitchcock (for the few games he played there), so he might just be used to it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My prediction is Draisaitl did it, he gutted the Ducks. He's even seen in a photo chewing on some Duck feather evidence. He's the cat that ate the Duck..

Oilers win 5-2, not much suspense.

Alfred would not have had a matinee. He would want to see you twist at night, in the dark, and with bedtime goblins keeping you awake at night and frightened.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Update GDT, according to Hitchcock Fuhrsy is starting :laugh:

The man just exudes comfort. I love that. This is a product of confidence and knowing who you are. Makes the whole dressingroom and media comfortable. You could hear the media were having fun with him and enjoying the new coach interaction.
The media were funny in this as well. "They always tell us, everything" hahaha

Hitch is really sharp still. Note that he only told them what has changed thus far as its not anything the opponent can plot on. just that theres going to be more communication in own end which there needs to be. In a recent game the goalie had blind side heat on the forecheck and No D even yelled out anything. That's gotta change. Audibles alert. Its using 12 eyes on the ice and some on the bench instead of being alone with 2 eyes and mostly blind spots.

Its simple. Tell the players what the purpose of a fire alarm is. They usually get it. Some think its so that you can pull it and school is out...;)

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
The man just exudes comfort. I love that. This is a product of confidence and knowing who you are. Makes the whole dressingroom and media comfortable. You could hear the media were having fun with him and enjoying the new coach interaction.
The media were funny in this as well. "They always tell us, everything" hahaha

Hitch is really sharp still. Note that he only told them what has changed thus far as its not anything the opponent can plot on. just that theres going to be more communication in own end which there needs to be. In a recent game the goalie had blind side heat on the forecheck and No D even yelled out anything. That's gotta change. Audibles alert. Its using 12 eyes on the ice and some on the bench instead of being alone with 2 eyes and mostly blind spots.

Its simple. Tell the players what the purpose of a fire alarm is. They usually get it. Some think its so that you can pull it and school is out...;)

Very welcome change, some humor and fun but also communication! Geez, you'd think Todd would've thought of even 1 of the things Hitch has done so far....Nope! I don't understand people still saying that he wasn't the problem here. Sorry, he was but only just one of the many problems.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
“Our team, before, sometimes all the lines wanted to play like Connor’s line,” assessed Kassian
“Connor’s line is going to have its own way to play, and the other lines need to find an identity"

It took 3 years for management to see what the fans could see from pretty much day one of the Mclellan era. Their assessment skills need some work.

Todd Koala needed a completely veteran team that does not get poisoned by his idiotic philosophy of hockey. The Oilers were a young team that felt his influence way too much. Hope the damage he has done is minimal to their prospects.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Very welcome change, some humor and fun but also communication! Geez, you'd think Todd would've thought of even 1 of the things Hitch has done so far....Nope! I don't understand people still saying that he wasn't the problem here. Sorry, he was but only just one of the many problems.

Todd was a decent communicator but often guilty of saying too much and he had a tendency for riddles which often resulted in miscommunication.

For instance the "Draisaitl only plays for himself...…" Who would start a phrase in that way? Only somebody that speaks too much, talks around things, and has trouble being direct and to the point. Hitch is more of a sharp pencil that way. You will know his thoughts if you are a player. You will know his thoughts just from some of his expressions.

What I like is that Hitchcock, coming out of a brief retirement is having fun with this. He knows most of his coaching career is over and he's enjoying this responsibility. What a wonderful attitude to impart on a team that was tense.

That's the primary difference. McLellan conveyed worry and trepidation. Hitch shares some humor, confidence, and sets different tones.

I'll mention that Sutter, when he was in prime, took the pressure off of pro sports as well. he was often funny, the players would even talk about, and they could SHARE a laugh about struggles.

Sutter after a bad loss: "What are we going to do now. We're going to get on a plane"

Sutter on off season work: "I'm going to work on the tractor"

Sutter took his team away from the high stress world of pro sports. he allowed them to take a breath and relax. Hitchcock will do that here.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Man what a breath of fresh air Hitch is. Never followed him that closely before.
Seems perfect right now.

This should be in its own thread but Hitch was well liked in the Edmonton sporting and hockey community. he was a tireless hockey ambassador. Did the classic things to help kids continue with hockey, connected with orgs that helped kids stay on the ice etc. He breathed hockey from grassroots up. I mentioned he's a lifer. But he's the real deal, in every way, and I think players get that, and sense it.

When you get information from Hitchcock you have a tenured professor with 50yrs experience in hockey. Who is also up do date. This is shaping up to be the right hire at the right time. Its real early, but I got good feelings from this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is this SFW?

BTW, the first weekday afternoon non-holiday game in years. I can't even remember when the last one occurred.

Non Holiday in Canada. Unless one counts Black Friday, yuck.

What I've heard, and I don't know, is that a lot of firms give people the Friday off after Thanksgiving so that its a 4 day weekend. Not getting much work out of them overstuffed turkeys anyway. ;)

Is what SFW? Few of the GDT's, actually none, are SFW. I'm here to help!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I liked Aberg. I actually thought we had something with him. He had a wicked wrist shot and could skate. He just got in ManLellans dog house right away and wasn’t given a chance.
I should look and find the posts I wrote about him. I thought he would be good with Drai. He was a shooter.
Not like the Oilers to let someone go and they do good elsewhere

Yeah I agree. I thought Aberg was better than some of the players on our roster. I think hes probably on a hot streak and will crash down to earth soon, like Chiasson, but hes still a player. He just upset McLellan and was never really given a fair opportunity after that.

Reactions: Porkleaker

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
2pm on a friday afternoon...thanks NHL
guess I'll be listening to this one online in my office

excited to see how Hitch runs the bench and if the practice changed the way they're playing

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
I’ll be sleeping until the late afternoon after night shift. Would love to wake up to another W.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
my work doesnt care if i watch at my desk...they are obviously all big fans as our company holds about 50-55 season tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad