GDT: 22/11/15 | Devils @ Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Too much talk about Chychrun, Matthews, etc. Unless we get decimated by injuries, we have no chance of finishing in the bottom-5 let alone the bottom-3.

We would have to get rid of Hamhuis, Vrbata and maybe Higgins right now. Waiting til the deadline will be too late.

And even if we did that, Sedin + Sedin + Hansen + Tanev + Edler might be enough to keep us out of the bottom-5 lol.

New lottery system mang. Better chance than before to get in the top 3.

For the team to "naturally" get bottom 5 all the above would have to happen plus an injury to Hank and/or Tanev.

The season is a success if JB gets good returns on the UFAs to be and the young guns show improvement. It sucks to see the Sedin's efforts go to waste but it is what it is

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Higgins, other than missing a chance set up by horvat was completely invisible

Thought he and Burrows were the best winger combo Horvat has had all season. If you're going to have a 20-year-old as your shutdown guy, give him solid defensive wingers who can work the boards, not a rookie who looks like he belongs in Juniors or two soft offensive wingers. I liked the lines tonight, despite the result.

Edit: Only other guy I'd like in place of Higgins is Hansen, but he's needed on the first line.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'm confused as to why the fans and the Nucks players were so excited that they scored at the end of the game even though they were still going to lose? :laugh:

Just found it funny how animated everyone was. It was like they tied it up, but didn't. :popcorn:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Everything he does goes wrong. The funny thing is he isn't even breaking sticks anymore he just aims for their shins. Tanev has a better chance of scoring with a clapper from the point :shakehead

Edler had a number of great shots get through this evening, with one going off the post. He only hit one set of shins at the end of the game. I know we tend to see what we look for, but still, Edler was decent on the PP this evening.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I highly doubt it. I think he'll get closer to $5-5.5M.

I'm sure they're already negotiating right now. If he's asking for 5 or 5.5M right now he definitely needs to be traded. He would probably waive, too, because he won't be coming back and this team has no chance at a Cup.

Even if he was willing to take a discount, trading him is still the right move. He can just sign back next summer after taking a run with a contender.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Thought he and Burrows were the best winger combo Horvat has had all season. If you're going to have a 20-year-old as your shutdown guy, give him solid defensive wingers who can work the boards, not a rookie who looks like he belongs in Juniors or two soft offensive wingers. I liked the lines tonight, despite the result.

I agree but it means both Vrbata and Baertschi are playing with McCann and that's a mess.

They'll have to find a way to sort that out, that line will get eaten alive.

I'm confused as to why the fans and the Nucks players were so excited that they scored at the end of the game even though they were still going to lose? :laugh:

Just found it funny how animated everyone was. It was like they tied it up, but didn't. :popcorn:

Because scoring is good?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

I was excited because Horvat got a point.

He deserved it.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I agree but it means both Vrbata and Baertschi are playing with McCann and that's a mess.

Because scoring is good?

Higgins looks a lot slower and it saddens me. Still a great forechecker and that'll help McCann and Vrbata

Switching up Higgins and Baertschi might be better. Horvat looked really good with Burrows on the right side but Higgins looked a little slow and like others have mentioned, invisible.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver

Can u give us some of the oilers lottery luck thanks.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007

Because scoring is good?

I kind of agree, but I though they had their moments, and I'd like to see it tried a bit longer. That line obviously needs to keep the puck away from the boards, because they'll always lose it there, but they're three guys who at least have the capacity to think dynamically in the offensive zone, and two of them have great shots. McCann at this stage obviously needs someone to work the boards for him, but Baertschi also needs an offensive centre, as does Vrbata, and it was too much to ask of Horvat to be that guy and also somehow shut down top forwards. Kesler could only manage that in his prime.

That McCann line would need to be given favourable match-ups, of course, which should theoretically be possible with three other defensively responsible lines.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I love Hammer, but it is crystal clear that if someone would offer him anywhere near $5-5.5M, then God love 'em and they can have him. Those figures are beyond crazy. I'd be happy with a reasonable second round pick.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
New lottery system mang. Better chance than before to get in the top 3.

For the team to "naturally" get bottom 5 all the above would have to happen plus an injury to Hank and/or Tanev.

The season is a success if JB gets good returns on the UFAs to be and the young guns show improvement. It sucks to see the Sedin's efforts go to waste but it is what it is

New lottery system does give non-playoff teams a chance at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd spot in separate draws but the percentages for teams outside the top-5 are still very low.

I think if you have like the 8th or 9th pick, you won't have more than a 7 or 8% chance in any of the three draws.

Can't find a source where the actual math calculations. All I got is this from NHL.com:

The allocation of odds for the 1st Lottery draw will be the same as outlined above for the 2015 NHL Draft Lottery. The odds for the remaining teams will increase on a proportionate basis for the 2nd Lottery draw, based on which Club wins the 1st Lottery draw, and again for the 3rd Lottery draw, based on which Club wins the 2nd Lottery draw.

Here are the percentages for the 1st draw if anyone wants to take a stab at the math:

a5ddd88ddd01bca3a1e4e3a760edd1b3.png

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
We're currently on pace for 82 points. Based on last season's standings that would have landed us the 7th overall pick.

I want the team to make the playoffs but if they don't.. I want to be one of the worst 3 teams. None of this 6th pick crap like under torts. And that team taaaaaaanked

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Higgins looks a lot slower and it saddens me. Still a great forechecker and that'll help McCann and Vrbata

Switching up Higgins and Baertschi might be better. Horvat looked really good with Burrows on the right side but Higgins looked a little slow and like others have mentioned, invisible.

Baertschi and Horvat haven't looked good together since preseason. At this point it really does look like Horvat needs some vets to insulate him, especially when he's matched up against the likes of Kane. I mean, of course he does.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I feel like the two best wingers for Horvat are Burrows and Hansen but that would require Vrbata back on the first line, and then two of Higgins, Baertschi, and Virtanen on the third with McCann. While Sutter is out, that is a death threat.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
I feel like the two best wingers for Horvat are Burrows and Hansen but that would require Vrbata back on the first line, and then two of Higgins, Baertschi, and Virtanen on the third with McCann. While Sutter is out, that is a death threat.

Agreed, but you just can't break up that first line right now. There isn't an ideal solution because this isn't an ideal roster.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

True dat. While Sutter is out, Horvat needs Burrows for those tough line matching minutes. I'd almost try CHiggs on that line....pick your right wing - they both are capable.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Well at least the sedins don't suck like every non-Canuck fan said they would by the time they were 35.

^^I missed that above play by Bo. He's showing some great flashes. Glad he got awarded an assist in the last second to make up for that one..

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I love my Canucks (like most of us), but it seems almost time to address those on the payroll NOT wearing a jersey...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad