Prospect Info: 217th pick overall - Ty Gallagher

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This is going to sound absurd for a 7th rounder, but I had a late first round grade on this player.

Awful usage from a terrible new coach caused this guy’s stock to plummet this year.

Gallagher is a two way defenseman who is slightly more offensively inclined. He has an elite shot from the point. The type of shot that can beat goalies clean. He also has good offensive instincts and playmaking. He’s not flashy, but he’s a PP type. Defensively, he’s right around average. Size isn’t bad either. Skating is a little below average. I think he has top pair potential.

Sincerely asking how he goes from a late 1st round grade in your eyes to a 7th rounder? I hope you’re 100% right because…. I don’t know what to say if Boston drafted a guy who could replace McAvoy in the 7th round ;)

Reactions: Gordoff

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sincerely asking how he goes from a late 1st round grade in your eyes to a 7th rounder? I hope you’re 100% right because…. I don’t know what to say if Boston drafted a guy who could replace McAvoy in the 7th round ;)

1. If you look at where other players in his NTDP age group were drafted, you'll see that almost all of them went very low. It wasn't because it wasn't a talented group of players. The team had terrible coaching this season, and the more that this new coach influenced them as the season went on compared to their U17 season, the worse the team got.

2. Gallagher is a player that should be playing the PP. He has an elite shot, and the rest of his offensive skillset is pretty good. This coach gave him almost no PP time this season, and he was using guys on the PP that are not draftable prospects. It made no sense. It becomes hard to go high in the draft when you don't play the PP. Almost every junior player drafted plays the PP for their team, even the defensive defenseman types. And thats because junior teams usually don't have enough good players to keep draftable prospects off the PP. This coach managed to keep a very good PP defenseman off the PP.

3. Gallagher was playing fourth pair for most of the season, and was paired with another right-handed defenseman. The coach was using two left-handers on the first pair, which made the fourth pair have two righties. Gallagher was the best right-handed defenseman on the team, and he became relegated to very low minutes on the fourth pair with almost no PP or PK time. He was barely playing. It made no sense. Last season under a much better coach that is now the Kings AHL coach the team was a lot better and Gallagher was the second best defenseman on the team.

4. It was a similar situation to Lysell falling in the draft. Usage. Lysell's usage was more of a series of some decisions that didn't go his way, which contributed to a weak season. Gallagher was playing for a terrible coach that barely used him. The Bruins got lucky in both situations to get a player that would not be available where they picked them had they had better seasons.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
1. If you look at where other players in his NTDP age group were drafted, you'll see that almost all of them went very low. It wasn't because it wasn't a talented group of players. The team had terrible coaching this season, and the more that this new coach influenced them as the season went on compared to their U17 season, the worse the team got.

2. Gallagher is a player that should be playing the PP. He has an elite shot, and the rest of his offensive skillset is pretty good. This coach gave him almost no PP time this season, and he was using guys on the PP that are not draftable prospects. It made no sense. It becomes hard to go high in the draft when you don't play the PP. Almost every junior player drafted plays the PP for their team, even the defensive defenseman types. And thats because junior teams usually don't have enough good players to keep draftable prospects off the PP. This coach managed to keep a very good PP defenseman off the PP.

3. Gallagher was playing fourth pair for most of the season, and was paired with another right-handed defenseman. The coach was using two left-handers on the first pair, which made the fourth pair have two righties. Gallagher was the best right-handed defenseman on the team, and he became relegated to very low minutes on the fourth pair with almost no PP or PK time. He was barely playing. It made no sense. Last season under a much better coach that is now the Kings AHL coach the team was a lot better and Gallagher was the second best defenseman on the team.

4. It was a similar situation to Lysell falling in the draft. Usage. Lysell's usage was more of a series of some decisions that didn't go his way, which contributed to a weak season. Gallagher was playing for a terrible coach that barely used him. The Bruins got lucky in both situations to get a player that would not be available where they picked them had they had better seasons.

Thanks. Great insight.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So an elite defenseman?

i think grzcelyk is actually pretty good offensively as a transition player and a distributor but he has such a terrible shot he cant be a real factor on a power play since its essentially a 4 on 4 when he has the puck as opponents dont respect his shot.

this dude i think probably has a cannon but none of the other stuff offensively.

defensively he plays like grzcelyk but slightly bigger (so more effective).

maybe he could be boychuk? Maybe thats a ceiling. Not bad for a 7th rounder.

old school hockey future might grade him out as a 7.0D

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
i think grzcelyk is actually pretty good offensively as a transition player and a distributor but he has such a terrible shot he cant be a real factor on a power play since its essentially a 4 on 4 when he has the puck as opponents dont respect his shot.

this dude i think probably has a cannon but none of the other stuff offensively.

defensively he plays like grzcelyk but slightly bigger (so more effective).

maybe he could be boychuk? Maybe thats a ceiling. Not bad for a 7th rounder.

old school hockey future might grade him out as a 7.0D

Thats a blast from the past. I remember as a kid reading that as a kid to learn the up and comers.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Im trying to determine what the polar opposite of average is. Opposite of bad is good. What the opposite of an average offensive game?

The opposite of his individual traits unclerico. So if grzcelyk is good at transition offense this guy is bad. If grzcelyk is a good distributor this guy is bad. If grzcelyk cant shoot this guy can…understand?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Wouldn’t the polar opposite of elite be terrible? For example if we ranked every nhl player 1-600 or whatever it is. And the elite are the top 30 wouldnt the polar opposite be the bottom 30
You asked for the opposite of average, there can be only 2 answers, I gave you one, Elite!
The other is woeful

Reactions: UncleRico

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
All time leader for goals scored by a defenseman in the USNTDP. Didn't realize that, may have an elite shot
Yes I read this also
Surprise he fell so far
World Jr’s should be fun this season watching Bruins prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad