Prospect Info: Vasily Glotov (2016, 190th) – '18-19: Cincinnati #92 (ECHL) AHL SPC

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
4th in the MHL in points this season. It'd be nice to finally put the whole Russian thing to rest, can't ignore an entire country for talent.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
There is a chance Sabres got themselves a really good player. His statistics in the MHL is really impressive. And here is a good video about him.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Great pick if he pans out. By the video, looks like he's got speed, vision, protects the puck pretty well, and can create time and space for him or teammates.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
What are his plans for this upcoming season?

I think, he's going to try to make any KHL team. He plays in St. Peterburg, but I doubt he'll make SKA, some other KHL teams can probably try him. If not, then AHL doesn't look like a bad way to get to the NHL.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Congrats on a great pick, he was the one guy I really wanted DET to take. You guys are doing a great job finding guys with lots of upside late in the draft, loved the Estephan pick last year too.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Another second-year draft eligible. His scoring pace in the MHL is really impressive.

Thanks to the KHL followers with the insights. I like that BUF has taken prospects with either an extra year of development or a European / collegiate path plan. They will need to be mindful of that another couple years for sure given the number of picks with Pro potential they have and the contract limit.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
KHL insider tweet:

Not sure what to make of that. I almost wished he'd said Afinogenov, or Kozlov just to temper my expectations, but when I watched that highlight video, I thought of Datsyuk too.

Edit: All 5 times I watched that video.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Homeboy sure loves to wind it up behind the net on the power play.

Videos like that always make me laugh though because everyone looks like a super star in their draft montage videos. He's 5'11 and he looks big in that video which illustrates the level of guys he's playing. He's also playing on a line with other overage players. But Datsyuk is only one of the two best two way forwards of the last decade so who knows?

He has some great speed, hands and balance though. I'll give him that.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Homeboy sure loves to wind it up behind the net on the power play.

Videos like that always make me laugh though because everyone looks like a super star in their draft montage videos. He's 5'11 and he looks big in that video which illustrates the level of guys he's playing. He's also playing on a line with other overage players. But Datsyuk is only one of the two best two way forwards of the last decade so who knows?

He has some great speed, hands and balance though. I'll give him that.

I get that, but he also looks big because he skates so upright. I think that's one of the things that made me think of Datsyuk. That and the crazy hands and speed. It's notable that in TM's interview, he said that Greg Royce went to see him play, and he looked like he did in the highlight video. I mean, I hope he comes to Rochester to develop, but if he turns into nothing? Who cares? This was the pick from the Torrey Mitchell trade for god's sake. Oh, and that actually makes him part of the Thomas Vanek trade tree, which will be good to remember.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sounds like two Sabres scouts were watching him per Greg Royce: "A little bit of an unknown. Anders [Forsberg] and myself, we've seen him quite a few times. He's a 5.10, 5.11, little guy. Dynamic, very skilled, creates from nothing. I think he's one of those hidden gems that we feel very pleased that we get him here. He'll be here for development camp. We're hoping to get the paperwork all done, but I think people will be very pleased when they see his skills."

CHL Import Draft is Tuesday, so if he gets picked there, who knows. I thought maybe another MHL year, rather than KHL, since he's SKA property and barely an overager (11 days) for this draft.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sounds like two Sabres scouts were watching him per Greg Royce: "A little bit of an unknown. Anders [Forsberg] and myself, we've seen him quite a few times. He's a 5.10, 5.11, little guy. Dynamic, very skilled, creates from nothing. I think he's one of those hidden gems that we feel very pleased that we get him here. He'll be here for development camp. We're hoping to get the paperwork all done, but I think people will be very pleased when they see his skills."

CHL Import Draft is Tuesday, so if he gets picked there, who knows. I thought maybe another MHL year, rather than KHL, since he's SKA property and barely an overager (11 days) for this draft.

He might be able to play for a different KHL team, but like you I can't see him playing for SKA. I'd love to be able to watch him in the CHL. Not sure it's what's best for him though.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He might be able to play for a different KHL team, but like you I can't see him playing for SKA. I'd love to be able to watch him in the CHL. Not sure it's what's best for him though.

To those who follow CHL, about how many Russians newly come over to North America each year, and how many/what percent of those are his age?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
To those who follow CHL, about how many Russians newly come over to North America each year, and how many/what percent of those are his age?
Statistically, you really don't want to see Russians go the CHL route. Let them develop in Russia and bring them across when they're developed if they pan out. As CHL imports, they have traditionally underwhelmed or busted (see thread) in regards to their potential. Let Glotov take the MHL route again and play on the WJC team, then go VHL/KHL until he hopefully pans out and wants to come over.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Statistically, you really don't want to see Russians go the CHL route. Let them develop in Russia and bring them across when they're developed if they pan out. As CHL imports, they have traditionally underwhelmed or busted (see thread) in regards to their potential. Let Glotov take the MHL route again and play on the WJC team, then go VHL/KHL until he hopefully pans out and wants to come over.

Yeah, I think that's generally true. Kucherov is a solid counter-example, though. Played in the MHL mostly, with some KHL time, then went to Quebec, and it seems to have worked out all right for him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Woodhouse covered most of this. To the last bit, it seems far more common for players to come over before the draft. Given that he's an overager, this season will be draft+2. That's not very common. The one example that I know of for sure was Kucherov, who joined the Q for the '12-'13 season after being drafted in 2011, making it his draft+2 season. Obviously he panned out huge, but that's not exactly a data set. I don't think it'd be the best choice. Let him stay in Russia until he's ready enough, especially physically, for North American pro hockey.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Taken 33rd overall by Cape Breton (QMJHL) in today's CHL Import Draft .. Lazarev and Svechnikov were Russian imports on their 2015-16 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad