Prospect Info: Brett Murray (2016, 99th) – '18-19: Youngstown #21 (USHL), '19-20: Miami (NCAA)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Big, young guy with bottom-6 upside. Better chance at becoming NHLer than most left, but would have preferred the upside of Mete.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Future Considerations, 99:

BRETT MURRAY
POSITION: Left Wing
SHOOTS: Left
TEAM: Carleton Place (CCHL)
BORN: July 20, 1998
VITALS: 6’-4” / 200 Lbs
STATS: 48 GP 14 G 32 A 46 PTS 16 PIM

Murray is a big, rangy winger who is still growing into his frame, but has some intriguing offensive upside. He is a big-bodied power forward who will throw his weight around. He might get a little off balance when bumped, but he will continue on as he is hardly ever knocked over. Murray is incredibly strong in possession and doesn’t let the opposition get at the puck no matter how hard they try. He sees the ice well and slides into open lanes with his stick presented to his man for a pass. He is driven and will drive the net for a chance to finish off a rebound. Murray uses his size to his advantage as he finishes his checks hard on the forecheck and protects the puck with sheer strength. He displays some impressive and high-end playmaking skill down low, cycling the puck and getting creative with it before dishing it to the slot. He makes very good use of his body, especially on the backcheck as he catches his man and rubs him off the puck.

He goes hard on the forecheck, but reads and adapts well as to when he needs to ease off or kick it into gear and get on the puck carrier. Murray has some skating deficiencies that will need to be addressed as his stride is choppy and lacks in jump. His first few steps need a lot of work as does his balance; all traits of a kid trying to grow into an ever-expanding frame. He will have plenty of time to develop during his time at Penn State.

NHL POTENTIAL: Bottom-Six Two-Way Winger

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Big, young guy with bottom-6 upside. Better chance at becoming NHLer than most left, but would have preferred the upside of Mete.

because Buffalo drafted him?

i mean, it's the 4th round.... it's crap shoot time. No one has a better chance than anyone else.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
"Slow big two way guy going to college for the next 9 years of his life".

These picks rarely turn out well. :laugh:

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
because Buffalo drafted him?

i mean, it's the 4th round.... it's crap shoot time. No one has a better chance than anyone else.

No. Because his play style. Big, two-way forwards who can potentially fit in a bottom-6 role have a better chance then small, skilled one dimensional forwards who have top-6 upside. Just my opinion anyways.

FoSotC

Aug 16, 2010
Probably wouldn't feel too out of place in a Sabres jersey

picxju5t.jpg

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
4h rounders who have played 200 games or more....hopefully I didn't miss anyone.

2006. reimer, belesky
2007. Alec Martinez, Dwight King
2008. Hotby Weise, Brodie nyquist
2009 Cizitkas, David savard, Craig smith, ekholm, foligno,

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
He's from my small hometown of Palgrave, Ontario. Tremendous young man, big frame, easily the best prospect to come out of the CCHL this year. Sabres should be happy with this guy.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I've bumped into him. Big dude. He's very young compared to most of his fellow draftees, has the great size, but has sneaky offensive potential that's tough to gauge based on where he's coming from. But he was drafted as a project for Buffalo and will eventually enter a high-octane, aggressive college system, under an excellent tutor of young men, where he'll be forced to raise his game. He'll be an interesting one to re-visit down the road.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is one of those long-term guys. Slow cook him at Penn State, see what he does with that size.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
RLR report ranked Murray at #61 and he was one of their sleepers; also notes that he dealt with a concussion in the second half:
Very impressive overall combination of size, puckhandling skill and speed. Absolutely huge patrolling up and down the wing, plus has very good feet for such a huge kid and surprising lateral movement. Soft hands around net and can receive/control passes at speed. Tough to knock off the puck and does a good job using his size and strength to full advantage by winning the physical battles. Wins puck battles behind net, gets it back to the point, then heads straight to the crease where he becomes a physical net-front presence. Finishes checks. Makes nice plays with puck on the rush at one end, then comes back and smartly covers for wandering d-men -- is defensively responsible. Shows good hockey sense in all three zones. Second half of season was marred by lingering concussion problem, but he was one of the best surprises of the season and is a real Red Line sleeper.

Projection: Power winger and secondary scorer for strong team.
Style compares to: The motivated version of Bryan Bickell

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Carleton Place played in the RBC Cup, but finished last there. You can watch archives of those four losses here: http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/schedule/league_instance/44092?subseason=304534
He isn't going USHL is he?

What I've seen from a quick googling/checking eliteprospects indicates that he's a 2017 commit. So that would probably mean USHL next year.
In his scrum interview though, he said "next year I'll be heading to Penn State," which I took to mean his commitment moved up to 2016-17. :dunno:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
In his scrum interview though, he said "next year I'll be heading to Penn State," which I took to mean his commitment moved up to 2016-17. :dunno:

Could also mean next calendar year. Someone should try to teach these 18 year old kids to make less ambiguous statements to the media :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad