Olympics: 2026 Team Canada

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Let's get the discussion started! I assume we will be sending NHL players.

Huberdeau - McDavid (A) - Marner
Lafreniere - MacKinnon - Bedard -- Yes, I do think Laf is going to rebound and be there by 2026
Point - Crosby (C) - Stamkos
Marchand - Suzuki - Kyrou

Byram - Makar
Theodore - Power
Chychrun - Ekblad
Pietro (A)

Hart
Blackwood
Price

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Lafreniere - MacKinnon - Bedard -- Yes, I do think Laf is going to rebound and be there by 2026

Byram - Makar
Theodore - Power
Chychrun - Ekblad
Pietro (A)

Hart
Blackwood
Price
I think a few of those guys will have declined too much by 2026, their chance was 2024, such a shame because we may very well not have the type of player such as Marchand developed in 2026, they don't grow on trees.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I think a few of those guys will have declined too much by 2026, their chance was 2024, such a shame because we may very well not have the type of player such as Marchand developed in 2026, they don't grow on trees.
I see your point for sure.....I just don't necessarily agree with it.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I hope you turn out to be right if that's some small comfort, it would be to me.

The Marchands and Crosbys of the world don't come around every day, we need them.
I think Crosby will still be playing at an elite level in 4 years. Will be there as the Captain and leader of this team. Marchand, Stammer and Pietro are all questionable because of age.

Marchand - will be there for his grittiness. Showing no signs yet of declining.
Stammer - man this guy has been robbed at the Olympic level...he finally gets his shot.
Pietro - defensive stalwart on the back end. #7 who can plug in on any pair.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think Crosby will still be playing at an elite level in 4 years. Will be there as the Captain and leader of this team. Marchand, Stammer and Pietro are all questionable because of age.

Marchand - will be there for his grittiness. Showing no signs yet of declining.
Stammer - man this guy has been robbed at the Olympic level...he finally gets his shot.
Pietro - defensive stalwart on the back end. #7 who can plug in on any pair.
I hope so but guys like Marchy and Crosby are in their mid 30's now and four more years is a long time at that age athletically, I am not even sure I would still call Crosby elite at this point but I haven't even caught one of his games this year, still very good yes but elite now? I dunno, he's certainly not quite what he once was anymore, not as explosive, tack four more years unto that...................personally I am doubtful.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Byram - Makar
Theodore - Power
Chychrun - Ekblad
Pietro (A)

Hart
Blackwood
Price
Up front, we definitely need some young players to step up.

If the 2019-2023 class isn't making an impact by 2026, we won't be winning Gold.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree.

If we have to bring Sid and Marchand in 2026, we are done like dinner.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If nothing else, the O.P.'s lineup proves that 3 or 4 poor drafts can impact your Olympic team. The pitiful drafts from 2016 - 2018 really hurts up front 8 years out.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I'm more concerned about the goaltending than up front. Canadian forwards will almost always score in tournaments like this. Guys like McDavid, MacKinnon, Marner, Huberdeau, Point will still be around and in their primes.

There's almost nothing in the pipeline for 2026. Hart and Blackwood get shelled every night on terrible teams, Binnington has almost zero consistency after the Blues cup run, will Tristan Jarry be able to stay in elite form between now in 2022 and then in 2026? We urgently need guys like Levi, Cossa and Garand to develop, and with NHL goalies that's not always a given.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm more concerned about the goaltending than up front. Canadian forwards will almost always score in tournaments like this. Guys like McDavid, MacKinnon, Marner, Huberdeau, Point will still be around and in their primes.

There's almost nothing in the pipeline for 2026. Hart and Blackwood get shelled every night on terrible teams, Binnington has almost zero consistency after the Blues cup run, will Tristan Jarry be able to stay in elite form between now in 2022 and then in 2026? We urgently need guys like Levi, Cossa and Garand to develop, and with NHL goalies that's not always a given.
I agree. There are a TON of players that can develop up front in the next 4 years to fill the void -

LAF,
Byfield,
Wright,
Bedard,
Fantilli,
Cozens,
Newhook,
McMichael,
McTavish,
Jack Quinn,
Mercer,
Perfetti,
Holloway,
Johnson,
Sillinger,
Othmann,
Savoie, etc...

Goaltending is a real concern. Fortunately, while goaltending is hit or miss, depending on the year, our defensive prospects are very strong so, hopefully, it will all come together in 2026.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well good chance we don’t have to face Russians, hopefully they will still be banned
Canada will be fine but there must to be a changing of the guard. We had some pretty lousy drafts (in the late teens) and we need the next generation to step up.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Canada will be fine but there must to be a changing of the guard. We had some pretty lousy drafts (in the late teens) and we need the next generation to step up.
Our goaltending is worrisome. It’s even more concerning when you look at the American and Russian goalies compared to what we have. It’s not pretty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad