2026 FIFA World Cup venues are.....

Sep 19, 2008
Sucks that Denver didn't get in, as well as Chicago. WC at soldier field would have been nice.

Toronto in!

Sep 19, 2008
Biggest upset is Boston over DC / Baltimore. Just means I have to go 2 hours up north to get my WC fix 4 years from now. :)

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Imagine the nasty surprise fans from overseas is gonna get when they find out Gillette Stadium is like an hour outside Boston, And very limited public transit option.

I suppose MBTA can run extra service but who knows.

And why does Mexico only get two?

Reactions: mouser

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Imagine the nasty surprise fans from overseas is gonna get when they find out Gillette Stadium is like an hour outside Boston, And very limited public transit option.

I suppose MBTA can run extra service but who knows.

And why does Mexico only get two?
Only 2 games in pool play now, it's probably Mexico's 2 games and that's it.

EDIT: Never mind, they have 3

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Great to see Vancouver get it. I've heard they will get 6 of the 10 games in Canada which is great as it should receive the most in Canada as they have a world class stadium.

BMO Field will be the only stadium that requires temporary seats as it is too small. Oof.

Reactions: 3rd Sedin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sucks that Denver didn't get in, as well as Chicago. WC at soldier field would have been nice.

Toronto in!
Over which City would they have replaced?

Gillette getting it isn’t too shocking. Though with nfl stadiums they are in the outskirts more than the city given the amount of parking stalls required.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Great to see Vancouver get it. I've heard they will get 6 of the 10 games in Canada which is great as it should receive the most in Canada as they have a world class stadium.

BMO Field will be the only stadium that requires temporary seats as it is too small. Oof.
BC place is AstroTurf.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
World Class City but minor league stadium. Both Commonwealth and BC Place are nicer and far bigger.

BMO Field will be, by far, the crappiest stadium for the 2026 World Cup. Oh well, somebody has to be last.
Crappy, or just more realistic? I’ve never been in BMO, please expand on your comment.

If you ever look at Providence Park in Portland, especially the old 1920’s stand on an off day, you would ask what the frack MLS was thinking. It’s what you put in it that matters.

A baseball stadium needs to have an openness, needs bells and whistles, and recognizes that fans will want to walk around for an inning or two. An NFL stadium needs to make sure the concourses and restrooms are huge enough for halftime. An arena kind of cleaves toward the NFL mindset, but begs some flexibility. A soccer stadium should be the equivalent of a dive bar.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What are the capacities of the chosen venues (for football games, not handegg)?
Easy enough for you to Google and find out. All nfl ones so they smallest is Seattle at like 67/68k. Think every other one is over 70k.

Toronto is the smallest as it stands now.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
What are the capacities of the chosen venues (for football games, not handegg)?
CountryCityStadiumCapacityDistance to city center (mi)
CanadaTorontoBMO Field
2.9​
CanadaVancouverBC Place
54,500​
1.7​
MexicoMexico CityEstadio Azteca
87,523​
10​
MexicoMonterreyEstadio BBVA
53,500​
5.1​
MexicoGuadalajaraEstadio Akron
49,850​
11​
USABostonGilette Stadium
65,878​
27​
USANY/NJMetLife Stadium
82,500​
11​
USAPhiladelphiaLincoln Financial Field
69,796​
3.9​
USAAtlantaMercedes-Benz Stadium
71,000​
0.9​
USAMiamiHard Rock Stadium
64,767​
14​
USAHoustonNRG Stadium
72,220​
9.3​
USADallasAT&T Stadium
80,000​
19​
USAKansas CityArrowhead Stadium
76,416​
12​
USALos AngelesSoFi Stadium
70,240​
12​
USASF/Bay AreaLevi's Stadium
68,500​
44​
USASeattleLumen Field
69,000​
0.8​

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Crappy, or just more realistic? I’ve never been in BMO, please expand on your comment.

If you ever look at Providence Park in Portland, especially the old 1920’s stand on an off day, you would ask what the frack MLS was thinking. It’s what you put in it that matters.

A baseball stadium needs to have an openness, needs bells and whistles, and recognizes that fans will want to walk around for an inning or two. An NFL stadium needs to make sure the concourses and restrooms are huge enough for halftime. An arena kind of cleaves toward the NFL mindset, but begs some flexibility. A soccer stadium should be the equivalent of a dive bar.
BMO Field in a Frankenstadium not altogether unlike those mid-sized stadiums we see in England, but with none of the charm. Those stadiums are appear to be tucked seemlessly into neighbourhoods while BMO is practically on an inland not near any restaurants, real neighbourhoods, etc.

Two of the roofs are far too high above their respective grandstands creating a cavernous feel creating a lack of intimacy. The stadium is practically wide open at one end further exacerbating this feeling. There is also no jacket on the stadium, giving it a cheap feel. Most of the seats are a cheap, flimsy plastic, like bucket seats, and they are rather prone to breaking easily.

When you look at the stadiums that have been built around MLS over the past 10 years or so, BMO Field pales in comparison.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Dallas and Houston but no Cincinnati ?
Seems like the USA is missing a northern Midwest city. No Detroit or Minnesota or Indy. All indoors but like Pontiac silver dome can put grass in for a month.

Had hoped for Chicago but they didn’t want to submit a bid.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Seems like the USA is missing a northern Midwest city. No Detroit or Minnesota or Indy. All indoors but like Pontiac silver dome can put grass in for a month.

Had hoped for Chicago but they didn’t want to submit a bid.
Near the end of the TV presentation of the host cities, Gianni Infantino kind of looked like he cut into the script when he gave some assurances that fans traveling to this World Cup would not be put in the bind of overburdening their travel.

When FIFA awarded USA the 1994 World Cup in 1988, the only real competitor was Colombia. Thing is, Colombia was supposed to host 1986, won that bid, then had to give it up for whatever reasons. So, in several respects, FIFA only really could work with what we gave them. With 9 stadiums hosting, what they did at the time was base two of the round-robin groups in 3 cities. Oddly, the Rose Bowl and Stanford were joined by… Detroit. A lot of tickets were sold… it’s still the best attended WC ever. But FIFA isn’t into just selling tickets here, they want to grease the palms of their tour partners, they want lots of people to make the trip from other countries this time, and they learned from Brazil and Russia that maybe they overstretched. That will ratchet up the atmosphere many fold, if they can pull that off.

On another hand (and make sure you have at least 4 hands for this exercise), there are reasons this isn’t a USA-only bid. I suspect this is a joint bid because we’d otherwise have a “Mexican invasion” situation, politics in the US are dodgy, so as with Colombia, Mexico is kind of the insurance policy. It does make the travel THAT much worse.

So the signal is that FIFA, who had essentially stopped assigning their qualifying groups to specific cities, will get back into that business.

I think, therefore, that there’s no Cincinnati because there’s no Chicago.

I think the Vancouver bid was ”revived” (hello, Seattle) because Soccer Canada was told somewhere along the line that Edmonton wasn’t a realistic option and (noting that Montreal bailed) you’ll end up with one Canadian city otherwise.

I don’t think Houston would have really been an option without Dallas offering up Jerry World for a final, and FIFA could very well do that.

Every US market involved has an MLS team in or near it. Baltimore was probably a nonstarter once it was clear Washington was out.

Just keep in mind that FIFA has moved a WC before, and can do so again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad