2025 NHL Draft: Baggin' for Hagens

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Way too early Wheeler list just posted by @StanleyCup2035 - For those without a subscription, here's the top 10, although with Vegas pick basically the whole first round is relevant. Almost time to start learning a new set of names!

Tier 1
Hagens, USNTDP heading to Boston college, C, skating and playmaking. Only 5'10" currently.

Tier 2
Hensler, USNTDP, RHD, solid all around D, 6'2" already
Frondell, Sweden, C, sounds a bit like Celebrini, but has also played wing, 6'0"
Michael Misa, OHL, C/W and game still evolving but great skater and playmaker, 6'1"
Ryabkin, MHL, C, well rounded offensive threat comping to Demidov, 6'0"
Martone, OHL, RW, big/fast/strong/6'3", inconsistent.
McQueen, WHL, C, 6'5" (maybe now 6'7"?), developing quickly and has good hands for size
Trethewey, USNTDP, RHD, solid all rounder, 6'1" as a young guy
Moore, USNTDP, C, 6'2" kind of sounds like an aggressive, skilled, direct center.
Boumedienne, Swede in USHL, LD, 6'2" fluid skater with skills.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I’m extremely intrigued by Logan Hensler. Only seen him a couple times but he definitely stands out. I assume he’ll go NCAA next year, which will be very interesting. Definitely a more classic shutdown style defenseman, which I feel is very rare in this day and age.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Athletic even said last Friday it's not 100% Hagens is the number 1 guy. They mentioned Frondell and Martone as guys that could surpass him by next year.
I think it's t the point now where he's been the expected 10a for a while so the analysts start picking apart their game and pumping up other players to keep themselves busy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Happy for the thread to be deleted if you think it will increase our chances! In reality, as long as we continue to tank for 2025 and 2026 and then build the team properly through FA market, my username will become a reality give or take about 3 years.

Reactions: fasterthanlight

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Planting an early homer flag to To take Cameron Schmidt with presumably a non-lottery pick if we have one.

He's like 4 foot 8 but skilled and super fun to watch with a wicked shot. Has 31 goals in the whl in his age 16 season.

I don't have video tweets right now because it's harder to search on my phone. When I get home.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Planting an early homer flag to To take Cameron Schmidt with presumably a non-lottery pick if we have one.

He's like 4 foot 8 but skilled and super fun to watch with a wicked shot. Has 31 goals in the whl in his age 16 season.

I don't have video tweets right now because it's harder to search on my phone. When I get home.
So Bilbo Baggins as well as Hagens

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Schmidt highlights. Only a few because I'd be here all night otherwise :laugh:
Also I say "highlights" but honestly he has plays like this almost every game I watch. Which is most of them

I haven't seen him listed as a top pick for 2025 but maybe I was being too conservative by suggesting he'd be available with a late lottery/post-lottery pick (though obvious "lol it's Craig Button" disclaimer)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm going to be the one man Cam Schmidt booster club for 2025. Because he opened the WHL playoffs with an exclamation point tonight. And when I say "opened" I mean that pretty literally because this was like 40 seconds into game 1.

And then a little later

1st star in a 6-4 Giants win.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'm going to be the one man Cam Schmidt booster club for 2025. Because he opened the WHL playoffs with an exclamation point tonight. And when I say "opened" I mean that pretty literally because this was like 40 seconds into game 1.

And then a little later

1st star in a 6-4 Giants win.

Maybe he can hide in Muhk’s jersey and get ejected into the game at key moments?

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainShark

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Very concerned that with our Tank Commander Quinn fired, GMMG might actually field a decent team by signing some FAs to short-term deals, and our Hagens/Hensler dreams are over.

• Wow

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Very concerned that with our Tank Commander Quinn fired, GMMG might actually field a decent team by signing some FAs to short-term deals, and our Hagens/Hensler dreams are over.
You still have to force those guys to come to the Sharks somehow, and even with a lot of cap space most won't want to waste their last good years on a terrible team unless they're a reclamation project themselves.

We may not be the worst in the league next season, but...well, even avoiding that distinction will be an achievement of sorts. Who's our main competition? Chicago and Anaheim? If those two teams don't improve from this year then they have some serious issues. Beyond them, we're talking Columbus (19 points ahead of the Sharks this year). Everyone else was at least 29 points better than the Sharks. That is a serious uphill climb with no one else looking obviously like a tanking club next year!

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm glad Grier and I are on the same page in terms of what the expectation is for next year (suck but not at an historical level).

Reactions: Jargon

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm glad Grier and I are on the same page in terms of what the expectation is for next year (suck but not at an historical level).
I think he realized he can't do much with the roster so might as well make changes where you can.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think he realized he can't do much with the roster so might as well make changes where you can.

I have a feeling you’ll be surprised at how aggressive he’s going to be with the roster. Grier does not appear to be a meek man.

Just a feeling, we’ll see.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I have a feeling you’ll be surprised at how aggressive he’s going to be with the roster. Grier does not appear to be a meek man.

I don’t think he’s going to get that aggressive. He may on defense but I don’t think so.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

He doesn't have the roster spots. Kunin and Zadina were all but confirmed to return so that's 8 NHL forwards, 5 NHL defensemen and 2 NHL goalies under contract for next season. He'll need to trade or buy out players to add more than 4-5 new faces, and even that number is assuming no prospects (like Bordeleau, Graf or Mukhamadullin) make the team.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
He doesn't have the roster spots. Kunin and Zadina were all but confirmed to return so that's 8 NHL forwards, 5 NHL defensemen and 2 NHL goalies under contract for next season. He'll need to trade or buy out players to add more than 4-5 new faces, and even that number is assuming no prospects (like Bordeleau, Graf or Mukhamadullin) make the team.
He needs to find the roster spots because that teams not at the floor

Reactions: Jargon

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kunin maybe and that’s likely a mistake waiting to happen but saying he’s open to bringing back Zadina is not all but confirmed to return. Grier should let them both walk.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
We're still guarenteed to finish bottom 3 next year. There's just straight up not enough talent in the system. We were 19 points behind Columbus for 4th last and 29 points behind Montreal for 5th last.

To put that in perspective.

The difference between the Sharks and Habs in the standings (32nd to 28th) is 1 point off being the same as Habs to Oilers (28th to 9th). So Montreal was 5th last in the entire league and they were technically closer to being a top 10 team than being tied with us.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
We're still guarenteed to finish bottom 3 next year. There's just straight up not enough talent in the system. We were 19 points behind Columbus for 4th last and 29 points behind Montreal for 5th last.

To put that in perspective.

The difference between the Sharks and Habs in the standings (32nd to 28th) is 1 point off being the same as Habs to Oilers (28th to 9th). So Montreal was 5th last in the entire league and they were technically closer to being a top 10 team than being tied with us.
Nuts when you put it that way haha

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
In an ideal perfect world, we get Celebrini and one of Parekh/Yakemchuk with the PIT pick this year. Hensler next year. Then our young core lineup looks like:

Eklund-Celebrini-X
Musty-Smith-Zetterlund
Bystedt-Edstrom-Guschin
X-X-X (whoever)

X-Hensler
Muhkamadulin-Parekh
Thrun-Emberson

That would be great. Not including any currently drafted or about to be drafted 2nd rounders (or VGK 1st). Also doesn't include any veterans we could get in FA or trade.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
In an ideal perfect world, we get Celebrini and one of Parekh/Yakemchuk with the PIT pick this year. Hensler next year. Then our young core lineup looks like:

Eklund-Celebrini-X
Musty-Smith-Zetterlund
Bystedt-Edstrom-Guschin
X-X-X (whoever)

X-Hensler
Muhkamadulin-Parekh
Thrun-Emberson

That would be great. Not including any currently drafted or about to be drafted 2nd rounders (or VGK 1st). Also doesn't include any veterans we could get in FA or trade.
No love for Cagnoli, Halttunen, Havelid or Bordeleau?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad