GDT: 2024 World Championships Sharks centric

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Well, all Willy Smith does is score. 1+1 today in the last warm-up game vs. Slovakia. A couple of ill-advised passes, definitely got victimized on the Slafkovsky goal (although it wasn’t really on him as much as Farabee), and could stand to put on some muscle, but a good showing overall. Didn’t look out of place against a good team and the second effort on his goal was really nice, exactly what I want to see from him.

Brady Tkachuk is such a tool. Great player, but always yapping about something or other. Like, you’re up 5-2 with a minute left in a friendly match against Slovakia. Genuinely, shut up.
Thanks for this. I wasn’t able to watch.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Now that Quinn is gone from the Sharks he will make sure that Smith is paired with the most stone-hands of wingers and with the worst pair of Dmen who have the most trouble getting the puck out of the Goal end. Then put the better players together and when that Smith line isn't doing well limit his minutes. Well that's my theory anyway jk.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Now that Quinn is gone from the Sharks he will make sure that Smith is paired with the most stone-hands of wingers and with the worst pair of Dmen who have the most trouble getting the puck out of the Goal end. Then put the better players together and when that Smith line isn't doing well limit his minutes. Well that's my theory anyway jk.
No idea if this will last once the real tourney starts, but Smith played with Leonard and Farabee on the third line. Kunin on the fourth line, for what it’s worth.

Whole D-core is pretty solid, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
No idea if this will last once the real tourney starts, but Smith played with Leonard and Farabee on the third line. Kunin on the fourth line, for what it’s worth.

Whole D-core is pretty solid, so I wouldn’t worry too much.
His third period goal was assisted by Gaudreau and Boldy. Did he get moved up later in the game, too?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
His third period goal was assisted by Gaudreau and Boldy. Did he get moved up later in the game, too?
Not 100% sure but I think it was just mid-change. I definitely didn’t see him take full shifts with anyone but Leonard and Farabee, but the stream was also in Slovakian and it’s definitely possible I missed something. :laugh: It was a nice pass from Boldy to hit Smith in stride.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hard to say. On one hand, why risk getting hurt. On the other, more hockey with NHLers is good. I was surprised that he went in the first place.
As a Canadian, i would rather Celebrini and fantilli over who they brought in, as a shark fan i also now fear that he gets injured in basically a nothing tournament.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
As a Canadian, i would rather Celebrini and fantilli over who they brought in, as a shark fan i also now fear that he gets injured in basically a nothing tournament.
Probably I would take them Hagel > Fantilli > Celebrini >> PLD/Paul, personally. But yeah, Macklin will have plenty of opportunities to play at the WC in the next few years. No reason to force it now.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
says more about the tourney than the Sharks
It's actually very common for one team to send five players to the IIHF.

In 2019, fourteen different teams sent five or more players to the tournament. I'm not going to try and filter out starters or prospects (lots of prospects were listed by their AHL, European, college, or junior teams, though). Of course, one team's starter is another, better team's bench guys or even AHL depth - for us, that's Rutta and Kunin, maybe Sturm.

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Was really hoping to see Smith with Tkachuk because that's the kind of player I think Smith needs. And he got a shift with him! Hopefully more to come, but it seems he's rotating between the Farabee/Leonard line and the Tkachuk/Caufield line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad