1. Sweden
2. US
3. Canada
4. Switzerland
5. Slovakia
6. Finland
7. Germany
8. Czechs

Czechs are bringing an old team with 'heavy', 'heart on their sleeves' and 'hard to play against' guys while cutting several NHL players. I don't see it ending well personally. Our only hope is that they all gel, block a million shots, score a flukey goal and our 3 NHL goalies stand on their heads.

The top 3 are interchangeable and I will be shocked if 2 of them don't leave with a medal. I'd actually be very happy for US if they won it and I'm cheering for them and Slovakia to do well since I'm not a fan of my own team this time. I will cheer for the Czechs to the end though!

Uleke

Dec 11, 2023
Great Britain- Kazakhstan 2:5 (1:0; 0:2; 1:3)

1:0 - Kirk L. - 05:40
1:1 - Mikhailis N (Savitskiy, Grents) - 28:16
1:2 - Mikhailis (Orehov, Savitskiy) - 31:54
1:3 - Shestakov (Starchenko) - 42:35 PP
2:3 - Ruopp S (Kirk) - 45:23
2:4 - Starchenko (Mikhailis) - 47:59
2:5 - Mikhailis (Starchenko) - 59:27 EN

Goalies: Whistle (Bowns B. 29:36 -60:00) - Shutov

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Honestly, they should really rename this as "Skoda Cup". It`s a fun little tournament each year, but it simply isn`t a World Championchip. Of course, this has always been the case, but the lack of quality players is getting more and more severe the last years.
Just compare the rosters of the WC in Prague in 04, 15 and now 24. There surely is a trend.
How many of the top 200 hckey players in the world will actually be there? Not too any?
How many NHlers that are available have denied to answer their nation`s call? Many, too any.
I am not even talking about Russia no being tehre, but all in all this is getting worse and worse.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Great Britain- Kazakhstan 2:5 (1:0; 0:2; 1:3)

1:0 - Kirk L. - 05:40
1:1 - Mikhailis N (Savitskiy, Grents) - 28:16
1:2 - Mikhailis (Orehov, Savitskiy) - 31:54
1:3 - Shestakov (Starchenko) - 42:35 PP
2:3 - Ruopp S (Kirk) - 45:23
2:4 - Starchenko (Mikhailis) - 47:59
2:5 - Mikhailis (Starchenko) - 59:27 EN

Goalies: Whistle (Bowns B. 29:36 -60:00) - Shutov
I love that Ruopp is playing for the brits whilst Eliteprospects still have him as a Canadian/German :D

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Goaltender
Lasse Lehtinen

Defense
Jesper Mattila
Vili Saarijärvi
Veli-Matti Vittasmäki

Forwards
Konsta Helenius
Arttu Hyry
Juha Jääskä
Oliver Kapanen
Patrik Puistola

These are Finland's world champs debutants to be.

Some have been close before, but Helenius at 17 is a standout. Likely to play on one of the top lines.

Reactions: Chainshot

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I love that Ruopp is playing for the brits whilst Eliteprospects still have him as a Canadian/German :D

I guess their system doesn't support three. His mother is English and paternal grandfather German so he was eligible for both passports besides the Canadian one.

Reactions: mattihp

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
So now that I've seen some rosters:

1. Sweden
2. US
3. Canada
4. Switzerland
5. Slovakia
6. Finland
7. Germany
8. Czechs

Czechs are bringing an old team with 'heavy', 'heart on their sleeves' and 'hard to play against' guys while cutting several NHL players. I don't see it ending well personally. Our only hope is that they all gel, block a million shots, score a flukey goal and our 3 NHL goalies stand on their heads.

The top 3 are interchangeable and I will be shocked if 2 of them don't leave with a medal. I'd actually be very happy for US if they won it and I'm cheering for them and Slovakia to do well since I'm not a fan of my own team this time. I will cheer for the Czechs to the end though!
which NHLers did they cut?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
1. Sweden
2. US
3. Canada
4. Switzerland
5. Finland
6. Czechia
7. Germany
8. Slovakia

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm 50/50 on US over Canada, but I agree with everything else.
For sure. I'm sort of hoping the US win won to be honest. Such a strong hockey nation and nothing to show for it at the senior level... last gold was 1996. And we all know they are real good at hockey so it is an insane anamoly. After Czechs and Slovaks, I'm cheering for them. FTR.. First time I've ever typed that.lol

Reactions: Astyanax

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Honestly, they should really rename this as "Skoda Cup". It`s a fun little tournament each year, but it simply isn`t a World Championchip. Of course, this has always been the case, but the lack of quality players is getting more and more severe the last years.
Just compare the rosters of the WC in Prague in 04, 15 and now 24. There surely is a trend.
How many of the top 200 hckey players in the world will actually be there? Not too any?
How many NHlers that are available have denied to answer their nation`s call? Many, too any.
I am not even talking about Russia no being tehre, but all in all this is getting worse and worse.
Zero for Slovakia. Cernak's missing, but that's because of an injury.

I love this tourney and will follow it religiously.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
For sure. I'm sort of hoping the US win won to be honest. Such a strong hockey nation and nothing to show for it at the senior level... last gold was 1996. And we all know they are real good at hockey so it is an insane anamoly. After Czechs and Slovaks, I'm cheering for them. FTR.. First time I've ever typed that.lol
Last gold the US mens won at this tournament when not counting Olympic tournament cycles was 1933. I dont even think theyve played in a World Championship final in my lifetime.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Why do you hate us dude? :(

Surely with the team that we've assembled this year we should be ranked higher. Germany over us is just plain weird this year.
That 7/8 is arguable. I took into account the head-to-head match-ups and the round robin groups to some extent. The last time Slovakia beat Germany in the Worlds was back in 2013. If you lose the opening game, you're likely finishing 4th in the group with a double digit % chance of not making the play-offs at all.

So it's 50/50 between 7 and 8. I think the game vs. Germany is a coin toss.

Slovakia has more NHLers, but 4 of them have been fill-ins and have played barely any games at all. You guys are really hyped up about the number of NHL players, number of NHL draftees, but as of this point and time you really don't have that many difference makers over there, it's just role players mostly.

You have Slafkovsky, Germany has Peterka, you have Pospisil, they have Sturm. This was a rough season for Tatar and Kahun is roughly comparable. You have slightly deeper D, but then again the Germans are deeper at C. And they definitely have better goaltending.

And if Slovakia finishes 3rd or 4th, they are most likely losing that QF game. Hence 8th.

I am truly right hand to god not hating on you guys. It's just really weird how big of a gap there is between Slovak domestic expectations and the actual power rankings here.

I just looked up the outrights odds and the bookies actually agree with me to the point.

WINNER​

USA

USA

Sweden

Sweden

Canada

Canada

Finland

Finland

Czech Republic

Czech Republic

Switzerland

Switzerland

Slovakia

Slovakia

Germany

Germany

Reactions: Jakub97 and kudla

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
That 7/8 is arguable. I took into account the head-to-head match-ups and the round robin groups to some extent. The last time Slovakia beat Germany in the Worlds was back in 2013. If you lose the opening game, you're likely finishing 4th in the group with a double digit % chance of not making the play-offs at all.

So it's 50/50 between 7 and 8. I think the game vs. Germany is a coin toss.

Slovakia has more NHLers, but 4 of them have been fill-ins and have played barely any games at all. You guys are really hyped up about the number of NHL players, number of NHL draftees, but as of this point and time you really don't have that many difference makers over there, it's just role players mostly.

You have Slafkovsky, Germany has Peterka, you have Pospisil, they have Sturm. This was a rough season for Tatar and Kahun is roughly comparable. You have slightly deeper D, but then again the Germans are deeper at C. And they definitely have better goaltending.

And if Slovakia finishes 3rd or 4th, they are most likely losing that QF game. Hence 8th.

I am truly right hand to god not hating on you guys. It's just really weird how big of a gap there is between Slovak domestic expectations and the actual power rankings here.

I just looked up the outrights odds and the bookies actually agree with me to the point.

WINNER​

USA

USA

Sweden

Sweden

Canada

Canada

Finland

Finland

Czech Republic

Czech Republic

Switzerland

Switzerland

Slovakia

Slovakia

Germany

Germany
Wow. They don't like Switzerland. If it would ever happen... It would be now. I'd wager 20€ or so if I were a gambling man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad