OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Now THIS is a hint that can be run with. DQ and AP talked at length with Kelly yesterday, and this is Kelly's response.

“He’s gonna get the ball out to his playmakers and make plays 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗪𝗮𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘁𝗼𝗻.”

read that he was talking to a reporter from Washington

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He’s selling his guy. I doubt he’d be that stupid or that Peters and Co. let anything slip.

Or they’re all morons, are passing on Maye and I’ll have to take up a drinking habit.

Cheers. Bottoms up. :D

read that he was talking to a reporter from Washington

Love to see if he said the same thing about the Pats, Giants or whoever else. ;)

Reactions: TCB

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Yeah, I tried that, but then I read on Twitter that he got that bursa sac on his elbow assessed today and the sac itself weighs 41 pounds.
So that alleviates the toothpick concerns -- dude's gotta' be piped to carry that load around all day every day! ;)

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Every DM throw at his pro day. Missed a few early but threw some great deep balls later.

Nothing to not like there. The pace of the script was impressive. Daniels' script was way looser. So it was good to see Maye pushed and winded. I also liked the inclusion of the red zone section, and he threw extremely well there (that one left corner fade on the run was sweet).

The fast pace seemed to help Maye dial in, added more continuity and pressure, allowed him to establish a rhythm. I like that he ran a couple again after a miss; showed that a miss didn't throw him off.

Definitely more power than Daniels (though JD's power is certainly NFL caliber). You could hear the impact difference. DM's definitely got happy feet though. You can tell he's working on it, but it's evident. His accuracy today was way better than what you'd expect with the narrative that's out there. He had a really good day, no question.

And Penix, by the way. Sheesh. Were it not for the injuries (maybe a little age), he'd be generating a lot more buzz. I love that he's doing so much to silence the critics. The people speculating that he might fall out of the first round are nuts.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Nothing to not like there. The pace of the script was impressive. Daniels' script was way looser. So it was good to see Maye pushed and winded. I also liked the inclusion of the red zone section, and he threw extremely well there (that one left corner fade on the run was sweet).

The fast pace seemed to help Maye dial in, added more continuity and pressure, allowed him to establish a rhythm. I like that he ran a couple again after a miss; showed that a miss didn't throw him off.

Definitely more power than Daniels (though JD's power is certainly NFL caliber). You could hear the impact difference. DM's definitely got happy feet though. You can tell he's working on it, but it's evident. His accuracy today was way better than what you'd expect with the narrative that's out there. He had a really good day, no question.

And Penix, by the way. Sheesh. Were it not for the injuries (maybe a little age), he'd be generating a lot more buzz. I love that he's doing so much to silence the critics. The people speculating that he might fall out of the first round are nuts.
It’s funny. I thought he looked nervous and I didn’t love the body language. He definitely ended stronger than he began though. To me the pro day has me finally starting to convert to the JD camp after being close for a while now. I think there is an “unclutchness” to Maye that came across again today. The full game tape also favors JD, so I think I may have to officially turn over my DM at 2OA card.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
It’s funny. I thought he looked nervous and I didn’t love the body language. He definitely ended stronger than he began though. To me the pro day has me finally starting to convert to the JD camp after being close for a while now. I think there is an “unclutchness” to Maye that came across again today.

Yeah, I definitely didn't see what you're seeing from the pro days. Just looking at what we saw these last 2 days, Maye was more accurate, especially on the deep balls. And let's be clear about that real quick -- both of these guys are supposed to be great at that. At their pro days, one guy was uncharacteristically off and the other was real good.

Now they're pro days, so they don't count for much. I thought JD looked great overall, and said yesterday that his misses didn't bug me because I already knew he has that club in his bag. But Maye was pretty spot-on today. As I said, the pace looked like it helped him. He got in a rhythm and stayed there.

The "unclutchness" thing... I don't know what that means in this context. He raised the pace, threw winded, and hit his targets. He pushed himself harder during his throwing session than anyone and had a great result. There's nothing to be "clutch" about during a pro day except not screwing the pooch, and none of them did that.

None of the pro days changed my feelings on the players much. Of the two guys we're likely choosing from, I thought Maye had the better day, but my overall takeaway from both was that the only thing that changed for me was that I feel a bit better about JD's body.

I'm still torn on who's better and am pretty convinced it's just going to be a fit thing. Basically who KK likes better for what he wants to do.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I kinda feel if a Pro day will completely flop an opinion from one to another then that is not ideal, heh. I think it might allay some concerns for fans of each but no real movement, imho.

I'm OK making my own call still favoring JD. But like I said earlier whomever they draft at QB will be a fan and hope they pan out.

Reactions: Jags and ynotcaps

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
It’s funny. I thought he looked nervous and I didn’t love the body language. He definitely ended stronger than he began though. To me the pro day has me finally starting to convert to the JD camp after being close for a while now. I think there is an “unclutchness” to Maye that came across again today. The full game tape also favors JD, so I think I may have to officially turn over my DM at 2OA card.
Guess everybody sees it different but man that's an odd take on his session and contrary to 100% of analysis I've seen. I thought he was phenomenal outside of some jitters to start it off. He made it a point to showcase some special things he can do that others can't. Including all those off balance deep throws on the money with lots of velocity. I actually think he showed some things that should have further solidified him as the #2 pick. To each their own though.

Reactions: RedRocking and Jags

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I kinda feel if a Pro day will completely flop an opinion from one to another then that is not ideal, heh. I think it might allay some concerns for fans of each but no real movement, imho.

I'm OK making my own call still favoring JD. But like I said earlier whomever they draft at QB will be a fan and hope they pan out.
Agreed. With the caveat that none of us are pro scouts/coaches, it's not like there was anything to any of these guys' (all 5-6) from what I've watched or heard that anybody crapped the bed or hurt themselves. JJM apparently had a great one, and good for him, he probably needed it more than the others since he played in a system where he didn't get the same opportunities to show what he can do in real game action.

For some of the pearl-clutching about JD not running thew 40, well none of them did other than Penix, and it was smart (maybe necessary?) for him to given the questions around his health. If I'm a top QB with nothing much to gain or lose by running a sprint, I take a pass also -- one pulled hammy effs not just your pro day, but introduces worry about a nagging injury that might affect your position. Why court trouble?

What I hadn't thought of or heard before Daniels said it yesterday was the idea that he (and presumably others) didn't throw at the combine in part because they wanted to increase attention on their pro days so that the rest of their guys could get more exposure. Not just the Nabers/Thomas, early round picks who scouts are definitely coming to see, but the guys who are fighting to be drafted at all, as well as non-seniors (the gray shirts) who got some eyeballs from scouts coming into next season. That's a really cool perspective and something worth remembering and considering in thinking about future pro days.

Which is another benefit of having this premium pick in a draft with premium QBs -- I've always loved the draft, but I'm definitely more into the whole process and thinking about it more broadly than I have before. Fun!

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Yeah, I definitely didn't see what you're seeing from the pro days. Just looking at what we saw these last 2 days, Maye was more accurate, especially on the deep balls. And let's be clear about that real quick -- both of these guys are supposed to be great at that. At their pro days, one guy was uncharacteristically off and the other was real good.

Now they're pro days, so they don't count for much. I thought JD looked great overall, and said yesterday that his misses didn't bug me because I already knew he has that club in his bag. But Maye was pretty spot-on today. As I said, the pace looked like it helped him. He got in a rhythm and stayed there.

The "unclutchness" thing... I don't know what that means in this context. He raised the pace, threw winded, and hit his targets. He pushed himself harder during his throwing session than anyone and had a great result. There's nothing to be "clutch" about during a pro day except not screwing the pooch, and none of them did that.

None of the pro days changed my feelings on the players much. Of the two guys we're likely choosing from, I thought Maye had the better day, but my overall takeaway from both was that the only thing that changed for me was that I feel a bit better about JD's body.

I'm still torn on who's better and am pretty convinced it's just going to be a fit thing. Basically who KK likes better for what he wants to do.
Unclutch as he’s been prepping for this day for months and he came out shaky and looking nervous. I thought JD looked much more assured in himself.

The body type and big arm are still on display for Maye, but his release looked slow and he didn’t look incredibly comfortable in shorts throwing footballs. I didn’t love it, but who cares what I think honestly.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Literally, the only thing that matters in her pro days are measurements, and interactions/ body language. Anyone who cares about these guys throws is ignoring this stuff and just focusing on the game tape.

Zach Wilson crushed his pro day. He stinks.
Yeah, which makes it weird Odunze didn't take part at UW. Hell, even if you don't want to run the 40, go out and run patterns and help your QB look his absolute best.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Saw this posted elsewhere. From a Pats beat reporter - good sense of what is was like in person today.

Excerpt:

After watching him hit go-to receiver Tez Walker in stride on a 65-yard bomb, my immediate thought was, "How do the Commanders pass on this guy at No. 2 overall?" Washington, who controls the Patriots destiny in this draft, could fall in love with Daniels' dual-threat ability. But when it comes to who has more clubs in their bag, there's no question that Maye brings a much bigger repertoire of throws to the table as a pure passer.

The other significant change could explain one of the biggest knocks on Maye as a prospect. Before his arrival, Maye was backpedaling in his drop-backs rather than shuffling his feet under the old regime. Lindsey's staff changed that to a more pro-style approach, so it was a transition for Maye, who admittedly has unsettled feet at times in the pocket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad