OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

Assuming Caleb Williams goes number 1, who is your QB pick at number 2?

• JJ McCarthy

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Jaden Daniels

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Drake Maye

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This seems like the only argument against JD….the “loaded team” angle….I have said from day one I prefer Maye, but his supporters here typically just try to throw shade at JD, or use his “better team” to denigrate his performance…..I just wish the hardcore Maye supporters were more compelling….pretty much all the video analysis out there fawn over JD and only partially fawn over DM…..that scares me. Video doesnt lie.

I don’t care who we take, just that we get the best one….
I like Maye for a number of reasons outside of simply believing JD is a product of the team he played on

-bigger
-better arm
-better pedigree
-2 yrs younger
-not as fast but still mobile

the reason i believe most QB's bust is the difference in time they have between college and the pros so looking at tape is great but the facts are he won't have that time nor will his receivers be far superior to the DB's that are covering them when he gets to the NFL

this being said , what i believe means shit and they might all pan out with JD being the best or they all might bust and a later pick like Rattler might be the gem of this years QB class , lol

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The 2nd move is only terrible if they are using both 36 and 40 to get to 27. That would be bad. However, that’s not what it says. It says simply that they’d use them to move up. I wouldn’t assume using both.

LOL, at JMM @ 2OA. I don’t like that personally, but if that’s what Peters et al want, who are we to criticize?

And Mims on his own at 27 is great. Can’t be upset at that? It’s simply about what we add to 36 (or 40) to move up to 27. It’ll be like 100, at worst, I’d think.

Trading up for a guy with 8 career starts in college sounds very Ron Rivera.

• Wow
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
We’re most likely trading up for a tackle imo. Don’t think you want the 9th or 10th best one staring next year, and that’s what we’d get if we stand pat at 36.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
You mean YEAR 1…..that’s what it could be, but hey if the plan is to sit DM a year, so be it….they can play for a top-15 pick next year then start him in year 2. Will be a painful year….

Would also be very Redskinny to F it all up and let JD go onto to be a better throwing Lamar Jackson in NE or NY….

Can’t wait to see who they decide on….
Yea, I pretty much expect whoever they don’t take to end up a stud. Too many years of NE, NYG, and Philly getting over on us. Basically, I just expect doom at this point, lol.

However, it’s nice to try and remember the Washington football of my childhood when that team meant something. First class organization, that usually made the smart calls.

So, if I can just re-wire my brain (and dismiss this negative “Redskinny” concept) to trust Harris & co., that would be nice. But the paranoia remains, and the struggle is real, lol.

As between DM and JD, IMHO they represent distinct stylistic choices. It’s hard not to have a preference. And I’m just not a believer in dual threat guys long term. I don’t want Lamar Jackson; I want Herbert/Allen - I’m biased. I also think DM has more upside.

But, ultimately, it’s up to the coaches to help whoever they pick reach their full potential. I can’t wish DM into something he is not; nor can I dismiss JD’s proven abilities as a passer.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'd have thought you guys would all be way better at embracing the void by now...

Somebody's going to miss big here in this draft. It just is what it is, it's practically built into the practice. Even if all 3 of the big QB's, f*** it let's say all 5... the will still inevitably be fans willing to split hairs on who got it "right" or who could have "just traded back".

In the Caps' side of this board we had people doing heroic victory laps in November because the team sucked, the GM did nothing, and everything was going to be awful forever... now it's mostly crickets because the Caps are playing with house money and those dingdongs show up once in a blue loss to make their voices heard again. There's only way to play this so perfect you miss out on nothing, nobody's even going to know what that was without a lot of applied hindsight but the one thing you can virtually guarantee is that some small subsection of dipshits is going to parade around going "took the wrong QB" when somebody has bad weeks back to back... and they'll be no more reactionary than this draft business is at the moment.

All you guys really need/get to do is stand on the ship with your arms out waiting to figure out if you'll be swept away or not, so what happened to the party vibe? It's like you all went from "escaping abusive relationship" energy to "oh god if I don't get married this year my life is over" when it should be "yeah I'm 20 years behind my peers but I finally bought my first house and this is the first year in a while that won't totally f***ing suck while all my rent goes to some sort of congealed shit-stain of a man"

Sep 19, 2008
It's fine to be skeptical or have "Ashburn Syndrome" hyping up an offseason where they end up disappointing in actual play, but a full Harris offseason should lead to better times than the last 20 years for sure.

- new coaches including multiple winners and champions who have assembled with Dan Quinn to work together with one vision
- Peters who basically taught John Lynch what he needed to know working in a front office. Peters played an integral part in building a winning team in SF including poring through the draft for late round talent like Fred Warner, Kittle, and Brock Purdy. People give him shit for trading up for Lance and that is on him but he also drafted Purdy so they cancel each other out.
- Harris is already an owner looking to improve the facilities and stay out of draft decision making unlike his predecessor. With football people actually allowed to work there will be less botched picks.

We have seen hyped up figures fail here before (Shanahan, McCloughan) but the chances of Peters failing are significantly lower with more friendly ownership.

I would place an over on 7 wins for 2024. I'd be perfectly fine with 8 wins and building a foundation for success. What we do know is that the rookie QB they will supposedly draft can't do it all, and Keim had a good point on this. Haskins was drafted and had to do it all. He had no supporting cast. They are building a solid cast around the rookie, and he should be in a better situation.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'd have thought you guys would all be way better at embracing the void by now...

Somebody's going to miss big here in this draft. It just is what it is, it's practically built into the practice. Even if all 3 of the big QB's, f*** it let's say all 5... the will still inevitably be fans willing to split hairs on who got it "right" or who could have "just traded back".

In the Caps' side of this board we had people doing heroic victory laps in November because the team sucked, the GM did nothing, and everything was going to be awful forever... now it's mostly crickets because the Caps are playing with house money and those dingdongs show up once in a blue loss to make their voices heard again. There's only way to play this so perfect you miss out on nothing, nobody's even going to know what that was without a lot of applied hindsight but the one thing you can virtually guarantee is that some small subsection of dipshits is going to parade around going "took the wrong QB" when somebody has bad weeks back to back... and they'll be no more reactionary than this draft business is at the moment.

All you guys really need/get to do is stand on the ship with your arms out waiting to figure out if you'll be swept away or not, so what happened to the party vibe? It's like you all went from "escaping abusive relationship" energy to "oh god if I don't get married this year my life is over" when it should be "yeah I'm 20 years behind my peers but I finally bought my first house and this is the first year in a while that won't totally f***ing suck while all my rent goes to some sort of congealed shit-stain of a man"
nerdtainment-david-marker.gif

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Listening to Logan Paulsen and Hoffman ..

Sounds like JJ McCarthy moving up the boards to join the JD and DM tier is legit.

JJ - 21 yrs old, ran a true NFL playbook, some questions on deep ball, really into the mental preparations, did a lot of extra hours every week with a VR?
JD - oldest 23 yrs old, most ready to start of the 3, gamer = if it was 3rd and 7, he got you 8 some how some way
DM - 21 yrs old, highest ceiling but not ready to start, inconsistent footwork

I trust whoever they take at 2

------------

Im 100% happy we have the no. 2 pick in a seemingly top heavy QB draft but I wish we got to take the bride and not have to pick amongst the bridesmaids.

1 spot away from Burrow then (yeah i know haskins etc)
1 spot away from Caleb now

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I haven’t seen a mock draft where Mims doesn’t go in the first round. Most of the time, mid 20’s or better.

So you think he’s no good?

I think he's one of the top 10 tackle prospects most likely to bust. He's lost major time to injuries in each season including this last one (only 6 starts in 2023). He's Jamin Davis at OT. No experience. Physically he's top 3-4 OT, but his technique is very raw. He's a project at best. Very high risk. I think you only trade up for the more sure thing, like if Alt or Powers drops for some silly reason.

Reactions: Neil Racki

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I'm actually getting pumped to be a fan again. Even though I trust the new leadership, even good FOs get the QB pick wrong much more often than they get it right. That said they've got 4 former QB coaches on the staff and the backup QB has literally walked the exact same path as whoever we take, so they are surrounding the new guy with support from Day 1.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

explain this one to me

1. Warm body for our early start voluntary workouts in a few weeks
2. 5 teams in 6 years = coach circle must like him. Hes started an NFL game for 5 of those 6 teams. That could be viewed as a good and bad thing.
3. 9ers connection - apparently they signed him to a 4 yr deal out of college but let him go so he could find playing opportunities

Hes the Brock Purdy that never got the chance

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Old news…no impact to his health…
No impact to his health. Sure today, but when he gets nailed in that elbow and it fills up with fluid then he takes another hit on it who's to say it doesn't get infected or broken, as it is a protective mechanism to protect that elbow from a fracture. I mean it could also never be a problem and I'm sure everyone will be overanalyzing this, but there's already concerns about his size and him being able to hold up physically in the NFL and now this Elbow issue, and with Drake Maye sitting there at two, it would be an easy decision imo.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes