Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
People can stay clean for years then relapse. You never know when it comes to drug and alcohol addiction. Even if Nuke stays clean and completes the program for 6 months, it doesn’t mean he won’t relapse later. He may not, but 6 months is nothing
This! Absolutely on the mark. He's damaged goods. Sorry for him but .....

Reactions: the_fan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Nuke could get another shot in the NHL… it just will be for a small fraction of his current deal.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't think so. There will be plenty of teams willing to give him a chance, he's that good. And it's not like he comes with some terrible legal baggage, unless some new info surfaces regarding what happened in Seattle or regarding his substance abuse.
If Kane can find a new job, Nuke can easily. Teams don't care. Not to mention Nuke is twice the player.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The team has done a great job covering publicly for him and probably knows a lot more of what's going on than the fans do. Where there's smoke there is fire. This is clearly an issue that has been ongoing even before what happened in Seattle. If the Avs are smart they have good record keeping for their benefit. I still am sticking to the contract will be terminated, possibly by Nuke failing, or by the Avs. I'm sure they'll do their due diligence to shop him around, but I also don't think the Avs will take any chances.

Florida and Vegas are just jumping off the map at where I think he'll end up.
"This is clearly an issue that has been ongoing even before what happened in Seattle."

I suspect the same thing probably going back to even the Stanley Cup year. It was the Seattle incident that exposed the depth of the problem. But we are sufficiently aware of generalities that occur with substance abuse to surmise, it didn't start that night in Seattle.

That night in Seattle is when he first got caught.

Nuke has been a rollercoaster player. Full of highs and lows. Who knows? Perhaps his just ended playoff point total and note worthy play is the result of substance ingestation?

Maybe his performance in the 2022 SC year was enhanced as a result of his habit?

Who knows? (I don't). But this has been going on for a while and didn't just crop up overnight. He got caught because his prior behavior placed him in the program which subjects him to monitoring. He probably has residue in his blood. Maybe even his urine.

He's a fantastic player. But he's also an addict. That's too bad.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If Kane can find a new job, Nuke can easily. Teams don't care. Not to mention Nuke is twice the player.

Kane had/has a gambling issue.

Nichushkin is a cocaine addict, caught multiple times over the span of one year, caught with hookers, loves guns, refuses all help/assistance until he's forced into 6 month suspensions.

Man, these two are not the same.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I still am sticking to the contract will be terminated, possibly by Nuke failing, or by the Avs.
Since soliciting a prostitute and hard drug usage are illegal and have made it into the public record, I would be shocked if the Avs didn't have a decently strong argument for termination on the grounds of the morals clause in the contract.

In terms of planning for the off-season, there is a significant advantage in having a degree of certainty with cap budgeting so barring any other brewing LTIR situation (e.g. Makar hip surgery?), I would assume that the team's lawyers are taking a very long look at the termination route.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Nuke has been a rollercoaster player. Full of highs and lows. Who knows? Perhaps his just ended playoff point total and note worthy play is the result of substance ingestation?
Starting to wonder where the drugs play into this:

(18-19 ) He went a full season not scoring a single goal a Dallas.
(19-20) Nearly on his way out of the league gets his game going again.
(20-21) Numbers take a step back.
(21-22) Contract year and he steps up again and is a monster in the playoffs.
(22-23) Another step back for his numbers and the Seattle incident.
(23-24) Pulls up his socks and starts the year on fire. Another setback mid season this year. Gets it together and leads the playoffs in goals. Now this.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Did he fail a drug test mid-season and that's why he had to go into the PAP earlier? Or was it voluntary?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

(23-24) Pulls up his socks and starts the year on fire. Another setback mid season this year. Gets it together and leads the playoffs in goals. Now this.
Functional druggie/alcoholic, some seasons.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This! Absolutely on the mark. He's damaged goods. Sorry for him but .....

For a while there in the 90s and early 00s Robert Downey, Jr. looked like a lost cause. Repeated relapses cost him dearly. And then at some point he stayed clean and landed Iron Man and he appears to have been fine ever since. That's not to say he won't relapse in the future, because that Sword of Damocles always hangs over an recovering addict's head. Ultimately guys like Jeff Conaway and Philip Seymour Hoffman succumbed to their addictions, but not until they were sober for decades.

That said, I really do hope he gets back on his feet and his NHL career continues...but I think it'll have to be somewhere else.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Since soliciting a prostitute and hard drug usage are illegal and have made it into the public record, I would be shocked if the Avs didn't have a decently strong argument for termination on the grounds of the morals clause in the contract.
They might, but they'll likely be paying Nichushkin something big in a settlement.

I'd wager that the Avs care a whole lot about the details of Seattle not becoming public. Probably quite a bit more than Nichushkin cares.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Failed test
Do we know when the test was?

(Sorry if this was posted earlier, if so I missed it)

Yep. I was going to bring up the 57 games/zero goals thing. Given his talent, that's pretty hard to do.

Unless something else was going on.

I wonder if GMs are honest with one another behind the scenes about this sort of thing. Give each other heads' up about their problem children.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If (big if) we can get rid of Nuke's contract the team could potentially look like this next year...

OF1y4iI.png

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Rantanen and a pick for B. tkachuk and Chycrun, thoughts?
That puts the Avs $3-4M more in the hole next season. Can't work.

Rantanen for BTk and some picks could work, as it would help in the 25-26 season and beyond. $1M saved next season.

Or Rantanen for BTk and an ELC or two.

If (big if) we can get rid of Nuke's contract the team could potentially look like this next year...

OF1y4iI.png
If Landeskog can post, that's a competitive team. If he can't......

And I might quibble a bit about Landeskog/Lehkonen switching spots. But that's not as critical.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
How about
Positive news on Gabe
Termination of Nuke's contract
Colton+1st for Konecny+York

Lehky Nate Mikko
Konecny mittelstadt kovalenko
Gabe Ritchie LOC
Wood Pavel/ivan2 Duhaime

Toews Makar