Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Without a doubt, the USHL to College route is the best development path now. The drop in quality in the CHL and the playing time/quality in Europe just makes the college route way better.
What do you think has driven this?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Many factors, but they all compound. Probably most impactful is Canada's youth participation rate is lagging. Less are getting into the sport and even less are making to that level. The coaching quality is decreasing at U14 and lower levels. Most of the good youth coaches are moving on as there is really no pay and economics play a big role. You basically have to have from pros that settle back in the area at this point... and not as many as you'd hope do. Then the USHL has done a great job of developing talent and has a legit track record now. They produce the most NHLers and are now producing stars. They've become huge competition and successful to the point where we have #1 picks from Canada that would rather go USHL -> College. There are some other factors around import drafts, Covid (more economically than anything else), Hockey Canada nonsense, etc.

As rough as this is to say, I don't think in ~15 years, the QMJHL produces more than a handful of NHLers a year. Dub and OHL will hold on for longer, but the quality will certainly take more of a hit. Something has to change with the leadership to turn this around.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't think European hockey is weaker quality, the best players are more spread around the whole Europe than ever before. Twenty years ago there were only few good leagues, now there's plenty. Hockeys top leagues are way more competitive today and there's more of them.

Finnish league used to be super high quality. Some of these teams were ridiculously good, especially 90s. TPS and Jokerit were absolutely ridiculous.

TPS 94-95, if you are over thirty you will definitely recognise few names even from NHL, and then international level:

Jokerit 94-95:

Now the talent is just more spread around. Imo.

I think Europe is becoming better and better imo

Last edited:
Reactions: ABasin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think European hockey is weaker quality, the best players are more spread around the whole Europe than ever before. Twenty years ago there were only few good leagues, now there's plenty. Hockeys top leagues are way more competitive today and there's more of them.

Finnish league used to be super high quality. Some of these teams were ridiculously good, especially 90s. TPS and Jokerit were absolutely ridiculous.

TPS 94-95, if you are over thirty you will definitely recognise few names even from NHL, and then international level:

Jokerit 94-95:

Now the talent is just more spread around. Imo.

I think Europe is becoming better and better imo

Europe as a whole is dramatically improving. The resurgence of Czechia and Slovakia play a role, but also German, Switzerland and even Norway getting in on the action has helped. Finland is the only country that I think has really struggled of late and they are coming off a period of 6-7 years of producing some elite talent.

The overall pool of talent in hockey is growing and getting a lot better. Canada has some pretty significant issues and headwinds they need to resolve.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Europe as a whole is dramatically improving. The resurgence of Czechia and Slovakia play a role, but also German, Switzerland and even Norway getting in on the action has helped. Finland is the only country that I think has really struggled of late and they are coming off a period of 6-7 years of producing some elite talent.

The overall pool of talent in hockey is growing and getting a lot better. Canada has some pretty significant issues and headwinds they need to resolve.
I think it's a very positive sign. Hockey is becoming bigger sport.

Reactions: henchman21

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Hockey is turning more and more into a rich kids sport which really hurts enrolment. Times have changed too. Growing up in the 90s I knew 3 guys who played hockey but other than the kids who didn’t play team sports, everyone played soccer. Youth soccer enrolment has only increased since then and basketball has become a lot more popular. Hasn’t really amounted to much on the international stage beyond Davies but a lot of those kids who might’ve one day been NHLers are never even seeing the ice anymore

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Its pretty amazing that Canada has maintained its domination for so long. That it took so long for the US to catch is quite surprising given the maths involved. A string of humiliation will be needed to get rid of the God Syndrom at Hockey Canada. Then things will get cleaned-up. The latest scandals started the purge but it will take more than that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't disagree with any of the points above. However, it's not all doom and gloom. Canada is still producing elite talent better than any other nation in the world. No country comes close to Crosby, MacKinnon, McDavid, Makar, and Bedard over the last 20 years.
Agree. Took US forever to start producing elite talent. Will take time to surpass. Canada needs to get their shit together though. Especially with 36 teams soon. :naughty:

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There's always ebs and flows. I doubt Canada will have a big fall off, and unlike Canada, I think the US will always take a backseat to other sports in terms of drawing in the best athletes.

There's no way to predict what it will be like in 15 years. The players entering the CHL by then are infants right now and the amount of turnover in coaches, GM's, scouts, league staff, etc in that time will be enormous.

I don't see enough to support that the US is on the verge of taking over. Canada still has the best players in both the NHL and the draft, and they had twice as many prospects as the US in the first round last year. Sweden had as many as the US did. Finland is unfortunately the one that has fallen off.

2023 Draft Top 10

Canada - 3
US - 2
Russia - 2
Sweden - 1

2023 Draft First Round

Canada - 12
US - 6
Sweden - 6
Russia - 4

2023-24 NHL Top 30 in Points

Canada - 12
US - 5
Sweden - 4
Finland - 3
Russia - 3

Reactions: Alienblood

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Agree. Took US forever to start producing elite talent. Will take time to surpass. Canada needs to get their shit together though. Especially with 36 teams soon. :naughty:
and they will. It's a natural progression for the sport and good for the game long term. I don't know what the 36 teams comment is referring to? More exposure to American talent?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Hockey is turning more and more into a rich kids sport which really hurts enrolment. Times have changed too. Growing up in the 90s I knew 3 guys who played hockey but other than the kids who didn’t play team sports, everyone played soccer. Youth soccer enrolment has only increased since then and basketball has become a lot more popular. Hasn’t really amounted to much on the international stage beyond Davies but a lot of those kids who might’ve one day been NHLers are never even seeing the ice anymore

True. Hockey needs to fight the cost of hockey. It was expensive when I was a kid, like twenty years ago..

Even then most of the kids played soccer, the luckier and richer played hockey.

Reactions: Alienblood

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
And screw Canada.

We're taking your game bitches!
giphy.gif

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
There's always ebs and flows. I doubt Canada will have a big fall off, and unlike Canada, I think the US will always take a backseat to other sports in terms of drawing in the best athletes.

There's no way to predict what it will be like in 15 years. The players entering the CHL by then are infants right now and the amount of turnover in coaches, GM's, scouts, league staff, etc in that time will be enormous.

I don't see enough to support that the US is on the verge of taking over. Canada still has the best players in both the NHL and the draft, and they had twice as many prospects as the US in the first round last year. Sweden had as many as the US did. Finland is unfortunately the one that has fallen off.

2023 Draft Top 10

Canada - 3
US - 2
Russia - 2
Sweden - 1

2023 Draft First Round

Canada - 12
US - 6
Sweden - 6
Russia - 4

2023-24 NHL Top 30 in Points

Canada - 12
US - 5
Sweden - 4
Finland - 3
Russia - 3
We used to produce more elite goaltenders than Maple sirup... now look at what we'll have for the coming World Cup... its frightening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad