Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Fans would absolutely riot... the diehards who stick around here may not, but 80++% of fans that fill the stands only care about their favorite players today. You don't move franchise defining players without pushback.

Crosby said just last month he wants to finish his career with Pittsburgh.
You are entirely correct.

And all of them will complain loudly when Crosby et al have retired and Pitt is scraping the basement floor.

Said 80++% of fans do not understand asset management. :D Pitt could rebuild this thing pretty effectively and quickly, if they wanted to.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

And all of them will complain loudly when Crosby et al have retired and Pitt is scraping the basement floor.

Said 80++% of fans do not understand asset management. :D Pitt could rebuild this thing pretty effectively and quickly, if they wanted to.
Yeah most fans don't tends to give a shit about what is going on, they just want a nice escape. Just like when Sakic was 37, the Avs wouldn't move him. Or when MacK is 37, they won't move him. The Pens won't move Crosby.

And sure there is some coincidence to this... but the Stars let Modano walk in the summer of 2010. They were still well above 17k per game. When Modano left, that attendance dropped like a rock to 15k and then to nearly 14k before starting to recover (which took until 14-15). There is a real cost to letting franchise icons get away.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Crosby will re-sign with the Pens when he’s eligible to this summer unless his plan is to retire after next year. He already has 3 Cups and another trip to the Finals. He’s not Ray Bourque looking for his last shot to win. He’s a Pen for life just like Mario

Reactions: Bender

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

I think you can understand asset management to a T and still conclude that there are valid reasons to not trade away the best player in the last 30 years. If you go back to 2008 offseason, with the benefit of hindsight, knowing how horrific the Avs would be the next season (and knowing it would be Joe's last in the NHL), I still would not have traded Joe Sakic for a decent return because having him play his whole career in the organization is worth something (although I will say if a trade would have avoided the snowblower incident, maybe I do the trade for Joe's sake).

If Sid doesn't want to be traded, then you don't even contemplate trading him.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
And sure there is some coincidence to this... but the Stars let Modano walk in the summer of 2010. They were still well above 17k per game. When Modano left, that attendance dropped like a rock to 15k and then to nearly 14k before starting to recover (which took until 14-15). There is a real cost to letting franchise icons get away.

I never liked Modano, but I will always feel sorry for the guy.

Babcock made him a healthy scratch to finish the season in Detroit and he ended at 1,499 games played. What an absolute f***ing :eek::eek::eek::eek: Babcock is for doing that.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yeah most fans don't tends to give a shit about what is going on, they just want a nice escape. Just like when Sakic was 37, the Avs wouldn't move him. Or when MacK is 37, they won't move him. The Pens won't move Crosby.

I'm not totally disagreeing, but those years when Modano went away were also years when Dallas was a crap/rebuilding/non-playoff team. The Avs attendance went down also when they were a crap/rebuilding/non-playoff team, compared to the previous playoff version.

I think that - in many markets - the attendance downturn is going to happen to previously contending teams, when the inevitable rebuild happens. Franchise icons all retire eventually. I agree that franchise icons have something to do with it, but I also believe that franchise icons get forgotten pretty quickly, when a contending team is on the ice every night.

I think you can understand asset management to a T and still conclude that there are valid reasons to not trade away the best player in the last 30 years. If you go back to 2008 offseason, with the benefit of hindsight, knowing how horrific the Avs would be the next season (and knowing it would be Joe's last in the NHL), I still would not have traded Joe Sakic for a decent return because having him play his whole career in the organization is worth something (although I will say if a trade would have avoided the snowblower incident, maybe I do the trade for Joe's sake).

If Sid doesn't want to be traded, then you don't even contemplate trading him.
I would have, and in fact fully publicly endorsed it on this forum.

But I do get it. Money paying fans come in all shapes and sizes, and I get that some fans want to see their heroes out there, regardless of the outcome.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not totally disagreeing, but those years when Modano went away were also years when Dallas was a crap/rebuilding/non-playoff team. The Avs attendance went down also when they were a crap/rebuilding/non-playoff team, compared to the previous playoff version.

I think that - in many markets - the attendance downturn is going to happen to previously contending teams, when the inevitable rebuild happens. Franchise icons all retire eventually. I agree that franchise icons have something to do with it, but I also believe that franchise icons get forgotten pretty quickly, when a contending team is on the ice every night.

Yes and no there... Modano left after 09-10. That season the Stars finished 12th in the West under Marc Crawford in his first year (they had just moved on from Tippett who missed the playoffs). 10-11... they also missed the playoffs, but had a 7 point improvement. If they would have beaten the Wild in the last game of the season they actually would have grabbed the 8th spot in the West. That 10-11 team still had Richards, Morrow, Eriksson, and Riberio all as productive players. Benn was also fully established. They made a hockey trade to build up their defense with Goligoski. That wasn't a team rebuilding, that was a team with good players still and just didn't quite have enough. They didn't really work to sell off guys until 2013. Now they were not the team they were under Tippett... but that wasn't a team bottoming out and trying to rebuild.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yes and no there... Modano left after 09-10. That season the Stars finished 12th in the West under Marc Crawford in his first year (they had just moved on from Tippett who missed the playoffs). 10-11... they also missed the playoffs, but had a 7 point improvement. If they would have beaten the Wild in the last game of the season they actually would have grabbed the 8th spot in the West. That 10-11 team still had Richards, Morrow, Eriksson, and Riberio all as productive players. Benn was also fully established. They made a hockey trade to build up their defense with Goligoski. That wasn't a team rebuilding, that was a team with good players still and just didn't quite have enough. They didn't really work to sell off guys until 2013. Now they were not the team they were under Tippett... but that wasn't a team bottoming out and trying to rebuild.
LOL, I could make the case that for much of the 9 out of 10 straight years the Avs missed the playoffs, they weren't trying to rebuild either. :laugh: But they still stunk.

Point is, when teams aren't good, attendance tends to lag. I myself dumped my season tickets during the Avs' years of doing the wrong things. I'm not disputing "team icons" can affect attendance. I'm simply saying bad results also affect attendance, and a lot of formerly good teams are going to have that inevitable downturn. And good results often overcome any former negative icon effect. They sure did here in Colorado.

And of course, there are some markets that are immune to all of this. They're going to sell out regardless.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
I never liked Modano, but I will always feel sorry for the guy.

Babcock made him a healthy scratch to finish the season in Detroit and he ended at 1,499 games played. What an absolute f***ing :eek::eek::eek::eek: Babcock is for doing that.
I can’t hear modano without thinking about this clip. Not even babs would do him this dirty:

IMG_6908.gif

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
LOL, I could make the case that for much of the 9 out of 10 straight years the Avs missed the playoffs, they weren't trying to rebuild either. :laugh: But they still stunk.

Point is, when teams aren't good, attendance tends to lag. I myself dumped my season tickets during the Avs' years of doing the wrong things. I'm not disputing "team icons" can affect attendance. I'm simply saying bad results also affect attendance, and a lot of formerly good teams are going to have that inevitable downturn. And good results often overcome any former negative icon effect. They sure did here in Colorado.

And of course, there are some markets that are immune to all of this. They're going to sell out regardless.
Yeah of course poor play can equate to bad attendance. But the point is the year directly following, the team was actually better and more competitive than the final year with Modano... and still lost butts in the seats to a significant degree. The season after that was a bit of a slide from the 10-11 team, but above the 09-10 team and saw a further degradation of butts in the season. Things actually didn't improve until the lockout year where the worst team of the group actually had the best attendance in that short span.

These franchise names draw people into the stands, even if the teams are bad. When those names go away, many casual fans don't buy tickets... even if the team is better.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Gotta respect the fact that he played 18 full seasons in the NHL. Dude is as old as Fleury.
He’s mostly sucked donkey balls these last few seasons. Only reason he’s lasted this long IMO was because Ron Hextall signed him to an absolutely moronic extension because he thought Carter would be insurance in the event ownership let him go through with trading Malkin, or at least that’s what I read.

I just didn’t like how things went down between him and Lumbus (though recent events have made me think it just sucks to play for that sad sack franchise) and I always thought he was dirty AF. I’m still steamed about the cheap shot that concussed Cale.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He’s mostly sucked donkey balls these last few seasons. Only reason he’s lasted this long IMO was because Ron Hextall signed him to an absolutely moronic extension because he thought Carter would be insurance in the event ownership let him go through with trading Malkin, or at least that’s what I read.

I just didn’t like how things went down between him and Lumbus (though recent events have made me think it just sucks to play for that sad sack franchise) and I always thought he was dirty AF. I’m still steamed about the cheap shot that concussed Cale.
He did have a 45 point season a couple of years ago but yeah outside of that outlier he's been pretty bad since 18-19, like 4th liner bad.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He did have a 45 point season a couple of years ago but yeah outside of that outlier he's been pretty bad since 18-19, like 4th liner bad.
Not sure why you guys trash him that much. He was underrated in his prime if anything and played a huge part of that 2014 Kings cup run.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Gotta respect the fact that he played 18 full seasons in the NHL. Dude is as old as Fleury.
Being on the East Coast this week I watched the Isles beat the Pens last night.

At the end of the game ever Islander player lined up to individually congratulate Carter on his career- very classy. The Pens remained on the ice as Carter got third star (for his goal) and a respectful cheer from the crowd that was left (many clad in that puke yellow color that appears on the Pens uniform). As always in hockey there is honor when the final horn sounds.

Reactions: Murzu and Balthazar

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State

I can hear your icon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad