WC: 2024 Team USA

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Faber is a rookie and the defense will be stacked. The fact that Guerin is GM will probably get him on the team regardless, but he should be 50/50. Guerin should've told him he's not guaranteed anything, and if he wants a good chance to make the roster next year he has to play.

Such a weak excuse from a rookie. No rookie should ever be guaranteed a spot on a best on best American roster. We have too many stars for that.
Honestly, take all of this stuff out of it right now and focus just on player vs player.

Here imo is our top RD right now:
Fox
McAvoy
Carlson
Trouba
Faber
Jones

You can make a case for Pesce and I am sure a few others. But those are the top names right now. I don't think he makes the team next year if a best on best regardless so it was imperative for him to show up here..

Now look at the LD we have and a few of them can play on their off side too
Q. Hughes
Werenski
L. Hughes
Sanderson
Slavin
Hanifin

How can Faber beat out most of those names right now??

To me, Faber is in that 8-10 range overall...a serious shot to make a best on best team. He needed to be here.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Well.....that changes everything now lol...

Sucks to hear that, but also glad to know he didn't just mail it in for this tourney.

I guess I am gonna say a bit odd that they know this was from a couple months ago yet he kept playing not telling anyone? That doesn't make much sense but maybe Faber realized when it happened and told everyone after the fact??

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Broken ribs are 100% a valid reason to sit out. Must have been blowback beyond these boards for them to come out and say that now and not from the start. Although odd that Guerin was trying to get him to play...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Nah, William Bonney already confirmed that he simply didn't want to go. I was assured that it's stupid to act like we don't have all the information.

You're grasping, man. Your stance was not that he was more injured than Faber said he was, it was that he was injured enough based on what he told us that he was justified to skip the tournament.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I can’t believe that I’m getting excited about this. I’ve always enjoyed watching it, but simply to get a look at our future guys and “c teamers”……this is a very strange feeling.

Reactions: AmericanDream

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
You can't artificially make guys care about this the same way as the Olympics. Nobody in the U.S. grows up watching it and it's always had the reputation of a "loser tournament" for players on eliminated teams, like the NIT in college basketball.

They'll go if they think it's fun, cool to wear a USA sweater and to give themselves a better look for the Olympics. But they'll never have a "passion" for this particular event and winning it will never make any player's bucket list.
"They'll go if they think it's fun, cool to wear a USA sweater"

That should not be a pre-requisite. If that is then the player failed to see how USA hockey helped them, as their young ,hockey career developed.

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
A new culture should be created where the players know that the team will always be built from players who didn't make the playoffs. If you make it to the playoffs, you don't have to think about it anymore. If you refuse without a good reason, you will no longer be included in the national team selection. We have to send a clear message that this tournament is also important to win as many times as possible. Of course, this will not happen. USA Hockey fears that many would just quit the national team permanently in this case.

It would be great if hockey had the same national team system as in soccer, but unfortunately that is not possible. It's good that we even get best on best tournaments after a long time.

Reactions: AmericanDream

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A new culture should be created where the players know that the team will always be built from players who didn't make the playoffs. If you make it to the playoffs, you don't have to think about it anymore. If you refuse without a good reason, you will no longer be included in the national team selection. We have to send a clear message that this tournament is also important to win as many times as possible. Of course, this will not happen. USA Hockey fears that many would just quit the national team permanently in this case.

It would be great if hockey had the same national team system as in soccer, but unfortunately that is not possible. It's good that we even get best on best tournaments after a long time.
It's the same problem Canada has with Suzuki...

Some players KNOW that if they have a GREAT season before a Best On Best, they will be asked - whether they've gone to the World Championships or not.

At the end of the day, North American players don't want to go to this annual European event.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I've always said, I think winning this thing, even once, could help create positive momentum. If players see with their own eyes that a gold medal is a possibility, they are more likely to show up than coming along just to get 4th at best.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
The hard line thing makes sense…but it’s hard to enforce. If Toronto missed the playoffs and Matthews said he wasn’t going, we shouldn’t ban him. Gotta do it guy by guy….if you’re a fringe “best on best”, act accordingly. That’s all you can do.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I've always said, I think winning this thing, even once, could help create positive momentum. If players see with their own eyes that a gold medal is a possibility, they are more likely to show up than coming along just to get 4th at best.
I don't think that matters at all.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Has USA Hockey usually build a team too early or have they waited too long? Many times they have expected bigger names from the first playoff round and often almost no one has come. I am sure that many decent players have not come because they have been asked too late after the end of the season. Then grinders had to be brought in to replace them. I'm not saying it's going to happen now, but clearly Guerin is waiting for the first round.

I just hope that this time there will be additions from there. I'm afraid it's a normal story. There are not enough reinforcements from the playoff teams and then we have to fill the rest of the team with grinders after our GM has called everyone else and the answer has been no. That's why I personally support that the team will be ready when the regular season ends. I would think that it would also be a more clear system for the players.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway
What do you mean? This year USA has the best squad for yeeeears. Its not that many places left in the squad.

ZEGRAS - Larkin - CAUFIELD
GAUDREAU - PINTO - TKACHUK
BOLDY - Beniers - Keller
Hartman - KUNIN - Gauthier

Rust/Vatrano/DeBrincat/Compher/Cooley?

WERENSKI - JONES
SANDERSON - ?
HUGHES - VLASIC
Marino - Hutson

Daccord
Primeau
Gibson
Lyon

What do you mean Guerin is waiting for? Top 6 / Top 4 is basically set, so the rest will be 3-4.liners and some defence/goalies.

Reactions: Goodman68

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
What do you mean Guerin is waiting for? Top 6 / Top 4 is basically set, so the rest will be 3-4.liners and some defence/goalies.

About half of the team still to be filled. I especially don't like the fact that no goalies has been named yet. If they are waiting for goalies who are still playing, then suddenly it happens that Daccord, Lyon and others are no longer available. Of course, it could be that this is not the case, but we can only speculate with what we know.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
About half of the team still to be filled. I especially don't like the fact that no goalies has been named yet. If they are waiting for goalies who are still playing, then suddenly it happens that Daccord, Lyon and others are no longer available. Of course, it could be that this is not the case, but we can only speculate with what we know.
This is pretty typical with how they announce the team. Slow leak on some names from beat reporters then the bulk of the squad announced by USA Hockey typically by end of this week. I imagine they have a few "maybe" names fhey have to wait for to make sure they can come. I have no problem if they hold off naming players as they wait to make sure the top guys answer first. Some years it seems we are happy to get anyone and they announce a few grinders or 4th liners which takes out the wind in the sails at times. This team shouldn't have an issue getting NHL talent to fill out the roster. We should know the bulk of the squad in a few days.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
This is pretty typical with how they announce the team. Slow leak on some names from beat reporters then the bulk of the squad announced by USA Hockey typically by end of this week. I imagine they have a few "maybe" names fhey have to wait for to make sure they can come. I have no problem if they hold off naming players as they wait to make sure the top guys answer first. Some years it seems we are happy to get anyone and they announce a few grinders or 4th liners which takes out the wind in the sails at times. This team shouldn't have an issue getting NHL talent to fill out the roster. We should know the bulk of the squad in a few days.

Maybe it will go better this time. Usually, the last additions are not very exciting. My point was that maybe USA Hockey has made a mistake, that they have expected too many players from the playoffs. Then when they have declined, they have not managed to bring other decent players who may have been possibilities if they would have been contacted and tied down earlier. Then in that case their only options are Austin Watson's of the world.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My guess is instead of going with a bunch of plumbers to fill the remaining spots they will go with young guys like Gauthier. Goaltending with be interesting. There are some decent options in Daccord, Lyon, and Primeau. I'd say Gibson but I think he may be cooked. I guess they could wait to nab someone after the first round but there's a very good chance all of the relevant American goalies move on.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad