WC: 2024 Team USA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They announced the roster on 5/4/2023 last year, first real game was played eight days later on 5/12/2023. Based on that timeline, you'd expect the roster to be announced 5/2/2024.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Maybe it will go better this time. Usually, the last additions are not very exciting. My point was that maybe USA Hockey has made a mistake, that they have expected too many players from the playoffs. Then when they have declined, they have not managed to bring other decent players who may have been possibilities if they would have been contacted and tied down earlier. Then in that case their only options are Austin Watson's of the world.
I'm not sure it's that. There was a lot to flesh out on the last week of the season when it came to playoff positioning. That probably affected their timeline a bit.

They announced the roster on 5/4/2023 last year, first real game was played eight days later on 5/12/2023. Based on that timeline, you'd expect the roster to be announced 5/2/2024.
USA Hockey had to dig super deep last year. Hopefully it's not the same this year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not sure it's that. There was a lot to flesh out on the last week of the season when it came to playoff positioning. That probably affected their timeline a bit.

USA Hockey had to dig super deep last year. Hopefully it's not the same this year.
I'm sure the convos are happening and the spots are filling, but I don't think they'll necessarily announce a roster early.

Playmaker82

May 2, 2023
Norway

Bellemare is going for France, and Tatar is rumoured to play for Slovakia.

Could we get Dumoulin for USA, then? He has a contract for next year.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Bellemare is going for France, and Tatar is rumoured to play for Slovakia.

Could we get Dumoulin for USA, then? He has a contract for next year.

Dumoulin would be an excellent veteran add here. Have been hoping he gets named to this young defense. Beniers, Daccord & Dumoulin would be a nice haul to get...

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Hard to say about the others, but pretty sure Beniers is one who was asked.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Daccord is rumoured to be in talks with Swiss federation because he holds a Swiss passport, too. (And a Canadian I think). Don't think there is any way to eglibilty for him to play for Switzerland (because he never played there) but if there is he very probably have a #1 role on the Olympics.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Daccord is rumoured to be in talks with Swiss federation because he holds a Swiss passport, too. (And a Canadian I think). Don't think there is any way to eglibilty for him to play for Switzerland (because he never played there) but if there is he very probably have a #1 role on the Olympics.

If decisions are made regarding the national team based on where he is likely to play the most, let's hope that in that case he will go there.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If decisions are made regarding the national team based on where he is likely to play the most, let's hope that in that case he will go there.
I don't know if it is.
There was just a report here in Switzerland a few days ago that the Swiss federation is in contact with Daccord. And yeah, it is cleat that he currently is the best goalkeeper with a Swiss passport.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He'd need an IIHF exemption but I wouldn't be surprised if he got one. Not surprised that he'd go that route, he wouldn't make a best-of Team USA

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
He'd need an IIHF exemption but I wouldn't be surprised if he got one. Not surprised that he'd go that route, he wouldn't make a best-of Team USA

You never know. Of course, if they choose by name, that's a different story. However, I would say that if they choose based on performance like they shoukd, then anything is possible.

Now I would say Hellebuyck, Swayman and Demko. However, this may look completely different next February

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You never know. Of course, if they choose by name, that's a different story. However, I would say that if they choose based on performance like they shoukd, then anything is possible.

Now I would say Hellebuyck, Swayman and Demko. However, this may look completely different next February
Goaltenders have two questions when it comes to "making" the team. Being one of 3 named to the roster and being the one actually in net for the big games. Daccord has no chance at the latter.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Possible but highly unlikely. He has a 50 game sample size to evaluate. With goalies of course anything could happen. But he's not beating out Hellebuyck, Swayman, Demko, or Oettinger by default. And then guys like Stolarz, DeSmith, and Lindgren have similar stats on bigger sample sizes and those guys have shown up for USAH.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Possible but highly unlikely. He has a 50 game sample size to evaluate. With goalies of course anything could happen. But he's not beating out Hellebuyck, Swayman, Demko, or Oettinger by default. And then guys like Stolarz, DeSmith, and Lindgren have similar stats on bigger sample sizes and those guys have shown up for USAH.

This was actually the first time he had the chance to come. Maybe. If he refused, then it is a different matter, but if he had come now, everything would be possible next season.

Next February you want a goalie who is in the best form and confidence at its peak. If it's someone who's only been doing it for a while, it shouldn't matter. The name earns too many roster spots every time.

I'm not saying I think he'll play that massive next year, but you never know.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This was actually the first time he had the chance to come. Maybe. If he refused, then it is a different matter, but if he had come now, everything would be possible next season.

Next February you want a goalie who is in the best form and confidence at its peak. If it's someone who's only been doing it for a while, it shouldn't matter. The name earns too many roster spots every time.

I'm not saying I think he'll play that massive next year, but you never know.

I'm not saying Daccord should be punished for never having a chance previously. Just that if USAH were to be in a situation where they are comparing goalies with small sample sizes to choose for a best-of roster, they would likely lean to guys with similar/ better stats on bigger sample sizes that also have history with the program.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah, and we need more than only three goalies. Goalies get injured or lose their confidence all the time. Even if a player considers it and thinks they might be 4th or 5th right now, they should be showing up.

I think Daccord is probably 5th at best. Oettinger has to be ahead of him also, but 5th in April could make it nine months from now. Not like he's an NHL backup with a .900 SV% that is 12th on the depth chart. He should be thinking he has a chance to make the team. A good showing at the World Championships could only help.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Primeau, Woll, Wolf, Commesso, Knight(still has the chance) all have chances to play large roles next year for their NHL clubs..The landscape for USA Hockey in net can change greatly imo...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad