Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
U21 forward Nick Woltemade has reportedly already signed on to join Stuttgart next season. The 2 meter man is available on a free and has surprising skill for a giant.

Werder also seem poised to lose the currently on loan at Heidenheim Eren Dinkçi, with Freiburg reportedly favorites to land the 6'2" speedster.

Dinkçi to Freiburg for 5M is done.

Some reports have the 22yo...who has 8 goals & 4 assists in the Buli this season and one of this season's top 5 top speeds...as a major candidate for one of the final attacking spots for the EM roster. With BILD reporting that his preference is to stick it out for a spot with our NT instead of switching back to Türkiye.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Gladbach linked to Coman, arguably the best player in the Romanian league. 25 year old left winger. I think he's gonna do well for them, but I expect him to be expensive.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There's a ton of rumours that Chelsea will need to sell Gallagher for FFP problems.

So I ask you lot, would you rather have Zubimendi at his buyout at €60 or Gallagher at €60-80 million?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
There's a ton of rumours that Chelsea will need to sell Gallagher for FFP problems.

So I ask you lot, would you rather have Zubimendi at his buyout at €60 or Gallagher at €60-80 million?
Gallagher all day. I'm not as high on Zubimendi as most, I don't even think he's the best midfielder on La Real, that's still Merino.

Zubimendi is better defensively but Chelsea already have Caicedo and Lavia as 6s. Arguably Enzo if his offensive game continues stagnating.

Reactions: S E P H

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

I think they're very different profiles with Zubimendi being more of a controller 6 and Gallagher a high-motor box-to-box 8. In terms of replacing Partey/Jorginho in our midfield, Gallagher doesn't seem like the right tactical fit and Zubimendi doesn't seem to be at that level (admittedly basing this on highlights and other's opinions as I don't watch LaLiga). I wouldn't want to spend 60M+ on either of them.

If we're going to make another high profile midfield signing I'd be more interested in Douglas Luiz or Bruno Guimaraes. And if he became available, Kimmich would be a great fit and allow us to be even more tactically flexible.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

apples and oranges to the nth degree, but I’ll also say (as someone who, obviously from my posting record, f***ing adores Gallagher) that he’s more valuable at Chelsea than outside of it.

that said, he’s really f***ing good and I think could slide into any team that tactically makes sense for a player like him.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think they're very different profiles with Zubimendi being more of a controller 6 and Gallagher a high-motor box-to-box 8. In terms of replacing Partey/Jorginho in our midfield, Gallagher doesn't seem like the right tactical fit and Zubimendi doesn't seem to be at that level (admittedly basing this on highlights and other's opinions as I don't watch LaLiga). I wouldn't want to spend 60M+ on either of them.

If we're going to make another high profile midfield signing I'd be more interested in Douglas Luiz or Bruno Guimaraes. And if he became available, Kimmich would be a great fit and allow us to be even more tactically flexible.
Arsenals midfield set up divides the role that Gallagher plays at Chelsea between Odegaard and Rice, you’re right that he wouldn’t fit in there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Gallagher all day. I'm not as high on Zubimendi as most, I don't even think he's the best midfielder on La Real, that's still Merino.

Zubimendi is better defensively but Chelsea already have Caicedo and Lavia as 6s. Arguably Enzo if his offensive game continues stagnating.

Merino becoming really good in Spain will never not be weird to me :laugh:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Merino becoming really good in Spain will never not be weird to me :laugh:
He's still good for at least one wtf play per game but otherwise yes, I see him as a top 6 Spanish midfielder. He always had the pedigree but he probably needed a lower pressure environment to flourish.

@KJS14 I don't think either of the 3 guys you mentioned will be available for anything close to 60 mil.

Reactions: cgf

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Zubimendi is easily better than Partey/Jorginho

If you lot rather have Guimaraes, I get it, but he's ready to play for a team like Arsenal

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
@KJS14 I don't think either of the 3 guys you mentioned will be available for anything close to 60 mil.
Agreed - I would expect Douglas Luiz Bruno G to cost more than that, and I don't know what to expect for Kimmich if he were available (1 year left on contract and Bayern sometimes sell their long time players for lower fees if they push for a move). I was trying to say that I wouldn't want to spend 60M+ on Gallagher or Zubimendi but would be fine spending that much or more for those 3 players.

Zubimendi is easily better than Partey/Jorginho

If you lot rather have Guimaraes, I get it, but he's ready to play for a team like Arsenal
Again, I'm admittedly basing this on Zubimendi highlights and reading, but I highly doubt he's better than Partey right now. Partey was a top 5 midfielder in the PL last year in my opinion, and he still looks great if he could get healthy (big if for him). He's one of the best midfielders in the world at beating the press in the build up phase with his half turns/dribbling and passing range, and he showed he still has that in his ~30min against City.

I only put the "/Jorginho" because Partey has been injured all year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

apples and oranges to the nth degree, but I’ll also say (as someone who, obviously from my posting record, f***ing adores Gallagher) that he’s more valuable at Chelsea than outside of it.

that said, he’s really f***ing good and I think could slide into any team that tactically makes sense for a player like him.
If we sell Partey, then Zubimendi is the one needed and makes sense. I totally get they are different players, but I decided to compare them because we did buy Havertz to replace the Xhaka role, which Kai has forced himself to be a false 9 and have Rice replace Xhaka/Havertz in that BxB. It has been working, but if Arsenal/Arteta want Rice to replace Partey, then that once again opens the Xhaka role, which would absolutely be filled by Gallagher brilliantly. And since Arsenal is close to the FFP based on Ornstein, I think we can only buy one around that 60 to 90 million range (with some sales on top of that).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Can we talk about how much of a dud Caicedo has been this as well? I still buy some of the Enzo hype, but he looks like he's having a world-class season compared to the one that Caicedo is putting up lol.

Reactions: luiginb

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Can we talk about how much of a dud Caicedo has been this as well? I still buy some of the Enzo hype, but he looks like he's having a world-class season compared to the one that Caicedo is putting up lol.

I didn't really see him at Brighton so I can't judge what kind of player he could have been, but I don't feel like I'm going out on a limb saying we would be seeing quite a different player if he went to Arsenal or Liverpool.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I didn't really see him at Brighton so I can't judge what kind of player he could have been, but I don't feel like I'm going out on a limb saying we would be seeing quite a different player if he went to Arsenal or Liverpool.
He might've been a one-hit wonder though. I do agree that he would look better at Arsenal or Liverpool, but might not be the degree that you are expecting. Caicedo is a really dumb footballer, especially when it comes to IQ decision-making with the ball and a lesser degree of being able to position himself to prevent those pockets that strikers fest upon between the CDM and CB.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He might've been a one-hit wonder though. I do agree that he would look better at Arsenal or Liverpool, but might not be the degree that you are expecting. Caicedo is a really dumb footballer, especially when it comes to IQ decision-making with the ball and a lesser degree of being able to position himself to prevent those pockets that strikers fest upon between the CDM and CB.
The alternative universe where Caicedo and Alexis are both at LFC being managed by De Zerbi next season…

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So I take you're not too familiar with chemistry and Nobel prize?:)

Not to mention generations of footballers:

"Adam Hinshelwood is the son of ex-England under-21 and Crystal Palace footballer Paul Hinshelwood. His grandfather Wally Hinshelwood was also a professional footballer. His son Jack plays for Brighton & Hove Albion in the Premier League."

There's not even a Nobel prize for biology, so why would I care about that fashion show for washed up hacks? :sarcasm:

...the name "Wally Hinshelwood" isn't helping convince me that this family is real...

• Haha
Reactions: maclean

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
There's not even a Nobel prize for biology, so why would I care about that fashion show for washed up hacks? :sarcasm:

...the name "Wally Hinshelwood" isn't helping convince me that this family is real...
Yet somehow I bet you don't blink twice at the thought of former manager of Wolfsburg, Wolfgang Wolf.

• Haha
Reactions: maclean and gary69

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Y'all are taking my offhanded joke a lot more seriously than I intended anyone too :laugh:
The only thing that I took seriously was trying to construct the sentence for my post to say "...Wolfsburg, Wolfgang Wolf" all in a row and on one line.

• Haha
Reactions: maclean and cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad