Red Sox/MLB 2024 Spring Training Part 5: We’ve got uniforms and everything. It’s really great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Hell no. That would be the absolute worst thing MLB could do. They need Ohtani desperately.

They might not have a choice, right?

Assuming he didn't bet on baseball, especially his own team, it might just be for a year. But if he was millions into a bookie, then lied about it on top of that.... How can they not give him a major suspension?

Reactions: rfournier103

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Since it never happened last year, are people interested in resurrecting the HFBoards Yahoo Baseball Fantasy League?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's an ongoing investigation with the FBI. Ohtani has fifth amendment rights and doesn't need to provide anything to the vultures in the press.

Assuming that the lying press is correct, Ohtani still can't face punishment because never bet on baseball like Rose.
Ohtani can play dumb only so far..............

How does the translator get access to the bank accounts and then move millions of dollars?????

Colbert was snarky last night but also dead on

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
It's an ongoing investigation with the FBI. Ohtani has fifth amendment rights and doesn't need to provide anything to the vultures in the press.

Assuming that the lying press is correct, Ohtani still can't face punishment because never bet on baseball like Rose.

I swear Ohtani could hold a press conference where he literally admits to everything and you'd respond that his new interpreter was translating incorrectly and we're all tinfoil hat wearing idiots for not believing you.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

How does the translator get access to the bank accounts and then move millions of dollars?????

That’s it. My best friend doesn’t have access to anything of mine. 🤣
I think professional sports has an issue nowadays. Athletes don’t care about trophy’s, money talks. With all the Fanduel crap out there. They push and push it everywhere.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I don't know, how did Jack Johnson's parents get access to his personal bank accounts and almost stole all of his NHL earnings? How did Tim Duncan have $20 million stolen from him when he had trusted financial advisors? How did Bernie Kosar have his deadbeat father and ex-wife steal all of the money he made from quarterbacking for the Browns?

ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary Broke explains in crystal clear detail how these situations can happen for professional athletes when they start getting money and need people to help manage it. All it takes is one abuse of trust for money to start leaking out of their personal finances and eventually end up destitute. Could be a personal financial advisor, could be crooked agents, could be the manager of their personal investment portfolio, or it could even be their own friends and family. It can be anyone at any time. Ohtani clearly thought highly of Mizuhara and saw him as a friend, only for Mizuhara to abuse that trust.

Also, I remember when Colbert used to be funny. Those were good times.

I swear Ohtani could hold a press conference where he literally admits to everything and you'd respond that his new interpreter was translating incorrectly and we're all tinfoil hat wearing idiots for not believing you.

Oh no. I'm asking for proof instead of joining the outrage bandwagon that is fueled by speculation and hearsay from the talking head shows. How terrible of me. I should be calling for Ohtani's career to be destroyed like everyone else online. :sarcasm:

Get a grip. The only reason you pretend to care about this is because Ohtani plays for the f***ing Dodgers. If he was playing for another team and this news leaked, no one would be having the reaction they're having right now. It's so fake.

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I don't know, how did Erik Johnson's parents get access to his personal bank accounts and almost stole all of his NHL earnings? How did Tim Duncan have $20 million stolen from him when he had trusted financial advisors? How did Bernie Kosar have his deadbeat father and ex-wife steal all of the money he made from quarterbacking for the Browns?

ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary Broke explains in crystal clear detail how these situations can happen for professional athletes when they start getting money and need people to help manage it. All it takes is one abuse of trust for money to start leaking out of their personal finances and eventually end up destitute. Could be a personal financial advisor, could be crooked agents, could be the manager of their personal investment portfolio, or it could even be their own friends and family. It can be anyone at any time. Ohtani clearly thought highly of Mizuhara and saw him as a friend, only for Mizuhara to abuse that trust.

Also, I remember when Colbert used to be funny. Those were good times.

Oh no. I'm asking for proof instead of joining the outrage bandwagon that is fueled by speculation and hearsay from the talking head shows. How terrible of me. I should be calling for Ohtani's career to be destroyed like everyone else online. :sarcasm:

Get a grip. The only reason you pretend to care about this is because Ohtani plays for the f***ing Dodgers. If he was playing for another team and this news leaked, no one would be having the reaction they're having right now. It's so fake.

Financial advisers and family that are LITERALLY given access to the money in question, and then stealing from it, is a completely different scenario. The interpreter had no way of accessing these funds without ohtani. Period. Disagree? Then why don't YOU provide proof. You keep demanding it of the other side yet haven't provided a shred yourself to back up any of your ridiculous claims.

Who ohtani plays for has NOTHING to do with this. I could care less about them. I may be a sox fan, but I call them out for their bad acts as much as any other team. I'm not a child. I don't care that much. I'm the biggest Broncos fan I know and don't pretend for one second that the HGH sent to Manning's house was for his wife. I can admit that with no problem. I can also admit that deflategate was a joke even though I don't like the pats. I'm as reasonable and objective as a fan can be.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Financial advisers and family that are LITERALLY given access to the money in question, and then stealing from it, is a completely different scenario. The interpreter had no way of accessing these funds without ohtani. Period. Disagree? Then why don't YOU provide proof. You keep demanding it of the other side yet haven't provided a shred yourself to back up any of your ridiculous claims.

Why sure, let me just go call up my friend, Agent Jack Imhoff, down at the Bureau over in LA and ask how the investigation is going. :sarcasm:

Also, you say what evidence I have in all of this to provide proof of my argument and yet when I give Bowyer's interview for my side of the argument when says point blank that he had no contact with Ohtani and that he never once put forward a dime of his own money on any sports with his bookmaking company, or the litany of other examples where professional athletes have had people who aren't financial advisors stealing money from them, you hand wave it away and say that I'm some sort of rube. So which one is it? You can't have this both ways. Also, I'm not the one digging in my heels while grasping at straws on speculation. My opinion is based on the current facts that we the public have available to us. Unless something comes out, I'm not going to go jump to conclusions because most people want to will some sort of scandal into existence.

Who ohtani plays for has NOTHING to do with this. I could care less about them. I may be a sox fan, but I call them out for their bad acts as much as any other team. I'm not a child. I don't care that much. I'm the biggest Broncos fan I know and don't pretend for one second that the HGH sent to Manning's house was for his wife. I can admit that with no problem. I can also admit that deflategate was a joke even though I don't like the pats. I'm as reasonable and objective as a fan can be.

Don't be so naive. The only reason, and I mean the only reason, most people are calling for Ohtani's head over this is because of how he swerved the entire league and how his agent negotiated his $700 million contract with the Dodgers. Him wearing Dodger Blue is the only reason people have the amount of vitriol they do over this. And while you may not be that petty, there sure as shit many fans out there that are and want to see a guy's career get tanked when the investigation isn't even finished yet. So spare me the "who Ohtani plays for has nothing to do with this" crap. It is a major motivation behind the vast majority of people who want this to be true.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Why sure, let me just go call up my friend, Agent Jack Imhoff, down at the Bureau over in LA and ask how the investigation is going. :sarcasm:

Also, you say what evidence I have in all of this to provide proof of my argument and yet when I give Bowyer's interview for my side of the argument when says point blank that he had no contact with Ohtani and that he never once put forward a dime of his own money on any sports with his bookmaking company, or the litany of other examples where professional athletes have had people who aren't financial advisors stealing money from them, you hand wave it away and say that I'm some sort of rube. So which one is it? You can't have this both ways. Also, I'm not the one digging in my heels while grasping at straws on speculation. My opinion is based on the current facts that we the public have available to us. Unless something comes out, I'm not going to go jump to conclusions because most people want to will some sort of scandal into existence.

Don't be so naive. The only reason, and I mean the only reason, most people are calling for Ohtani's head over this is because of how he swerved the entire league and how his agent negotiated his $700 million contract with the Dodgers. Him wearing Dodger Blue is the only reason people have the amount of vitriol they do over this. And while you may not be that petty, there sure as shit many fans out there that are and want to see a guy's career get tanked when the investigation isn't even finished yet. So spare me the "who Ohtani plays for has nothing to do with this" crap. It is a major motivation behind the vast majority of people who want this to be true.

I didnt even know Ohtani who's never won anything or been to the playoffs in this league had this network of haters as you say. Ohtani can look in the mirror for this current news cycle he created. Thats how the world works when you get involved in things like this and change your story multiple times and refuse to take questions. 4.5 million is a lot of money to go missing from one banks account without noticing. Heck most people would spot 100$ missing

Last edited:

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
How about...offering more?
The payroll is unacceptably low.

That said, they're still not at a point where it makes sense to go over the CBT threshold. (They're not at this point in large part because Chaim Bloom made too many mistakes.) This deal would have put them over that threshold.

On the bright side, this season should provide the organization with the chance to make final evaluations on whether guys like Whitlock, Houck, and Winckowski have a future as Major League starting pitchers. I know a lot of people have given up on that idea, but I'm not quite there yet.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They might not have a choice, right?

Assuming he didn't bet on baseball, especially his own team, it might just be for a year. But if he was millions into a bookie, then lied about it on top of that.... How can they not give him a major suspension?
A lengthy suspension is a lot different than a ban though. There's no way anyone in MLB wants to see this guy banned. That only hurts the game. Or how about voiding the massive contract he just signed, a one year suspension and then we go from there. That's as far as I am willing to go unless he was betting on Angels games.

Reactions: EverettMike

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The payroll is unacceptably low.

That said, they're still not at a point where it makes sense to go over the CBT threshold. (They're not at this point in large part because Chaim Bloom made too many mistakes.) This deal would have put them over that threshold.

On the bright side, this season should provide the organization with the chance to make final evaluations on whether guys like Whitlock, Houck, and Winckowski have a future as Major League starting pitchers. I know a lot of people have given up on that idea, but I'm not quite there yet.
Whitlock is throwing 5 pitches now, I’m so in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad