Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 3: Chiefs SB Parade mass shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Flip side of that is if he were Joe Burrow they would've thrown the ball more. Im good with taking another bite at the "national championship winning game manager" apple.

It's not like Michigan had a cant miss Top 5 pick RB they had to feed the ball to
Blake Corum is a fantastic college RB behind a great oline. If that's the strength of your team, there's no point just airing it out. He wasn't throwing to the receivers Burrow/Mac had in college.

Reactions: RoccoF14

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Bowers is the best tight end prospect in years, I don’t have a problem with that if they end up dealing for a guy like Fields or going with a veteran

What I do wanna know is what did they propose the Vikings give up to move to 3? Because the haul would have to be immense
Local sports talk scuttlebutt last week suggested the 11th, MIN 2025 1st & Justin Jefferson for the 3rd overall. Seems too hefty to me.

If Pats aren’t sold on the the QB’s and decide to go Justin Fields wouldn’t the smart play be snag MHJ? I don’t know much about Bowers but I think the WR is the more pressing need. Jefferson is great but $$$$$

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Local sports talk scuttlebutt last week suggested the 11th, MIN 2025 1st & Justin Jefferson for the 3rd overall. Seems too hefty to me.

If Pats aren’t sold on the the QB’s and decide to go Justin Fields wouldn’t the smart play be snag MHJ? I don’t know much about Bowers but I think the WR is the more pressing need. Jefferson is great but $$$$$
IF (and that's a big IF) that offer is legit, you have to give it some consideration. You're only getting Jefferson for 1yr though, but if you think you can sign him to a long-term deal, I'd probably do it.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I would do that so fast as a pats fan, Jefferson is a guy you happily pay big money to

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Van Pelt: “You know, I think running the football in this league wins games, wins championships. Being able to do that late into the season.”

Nope. Not at all. It's 2024, how are guys still saying this?
People are reading too much into the Van Pelt quote but being able to run the ball is important and i think it does get more important later into the season when you're a team like the Patriots who are more likely to play in winter conditions the deeper into the season they get.

I'm not worried about Van Pelt trying to run an old school run heavy offense though. Joe Flacco was throwing the ball on average 40 times per game when he got to the Browns this season and i expect the Patriots offense will be similar to Kevin Stefanski's.

Reactions: BradPark22 and CDJ

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
People are reading too much into the Van Pelt quote but being able to run the ball is important and i think it does get more important later into the season when you're a team like the Patriots who are more likely to play in winter conditions the deeper into the season they get.

I'm not worried about Van Pelt trying to run an old school run heavy offense though. Joe Flacco was throwing the ball on average 40 times per game when he got to the Browns this season and i expect the Patriots offense will be similar to Kevin Stefanski's.

Running the football does not win games. Throwing does. And it's not even close. I'm not reading anything into what he said besides exactly what he said.

Reactions: LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Big part of Stefanski’s offense is play action iirc

There’s no problem with leaning on the run, they just need to be able to throw the ball effectively when the time comes for that. It’s largely what they did in their final SB run. Its also something they haven’t been able to do for years now

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
They better draft a RB then because Mondre looked awful for half the season. And surprisingly Zeke looked better.

We got no RB depth really. Look into the later rounds. You'll find someone.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Stevenson looked bad when he was battling his ankle issues at the beginning of the year but he had worked his way back to normal by the time he was injured once again. They definitely need to add another 2 RB on top of him though. Free agency for 1, draft the other. Not against bringing Elliott back for another year. He did very good work in the passing game last season.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
Van Pelt: “You know, I think running the football in this league wins games, wins championships. Being able to do that late into the season.”

Pacheco helped turn KC around, the running game definitely helps win games, it sets up play action or the option. It keeps linebackers in the box to open up TE and slot WRs.

Look at what happened to Baltimore when they went away from what brought them success (running game) and they tried throwing it to beat Mahomes ...

I don't think Van Pelt is suggesting bringing back the Wing T or the veer offense and run the ball 40 times a game, he's talking about complimentary football.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Pacheco helped turn KC around, the running game definitely helps win games, it sets up play action or the option. It keeps linebackers in the box to open up TE and slot WRs.

Look at what happened to Baltimore when they went away from what brought them success (running game) and they tried throwing it to beat Mahomes ...

I don't think Van Pelt is suggesting bringing back the Wing T or the veer offense and run the ball 40 times a game, he's talking about complimentary football.

That's not what he said. And what he said is wrong.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022

KC was 20th and 19th overall in rushing the past two seasons. Rams 25th in 2021. Tampa 28th in 2020.

So no, it does not.

He flat out said running wins games and wins championships...he didn't say you need to run to compliment the pass. If running wins titles, you would see everyone trying to get the best players at that position.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It's a well-debunked myth you need to establish the run to set up play-action. You can be a shitty running team and still use PA effectively.

The reigning coach of the year, the guy who just fired Van Pelt, has talked about this very thing.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Used that simulator

Attachments

• IMG_1985.jpeg
    IMG_1985.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1984.jpeg
    IMG_1984.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0