Final Series Outcome

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agree.

Also wonder if Schmidt makes sense as a Samberg partner in this series. Stan has played well but that pairing was superb for long stretches earlier in the season and Schmidt has played enough on the right to be a natural fit there. Given Bones' reluctance to play Miller thus far I don't see him starting.

Not a knock on Stan or endorsement for 88, but given that each has his warts I think Schmidt's mobility and experience might work well early on, esp with an Avs team on a mission and Mack likely playing most of the game.
I'd leave it as it is - Smitty is not mobile (anymore) and he is useless against a cycle which the Aves love. Stan might not be the perfect guy to match up but he at least can stop a cycle (by getting in the way) and he can win a puck battle along the walls (which Smitty can't).
The thing is, both of these guys will get turned around off the rush - but at least Stan has a chance at puck recovery if he plays aggressive.
I'll assume Bones will be watching closely and could make a change here - but I think Stan starts based on the above.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Athletic preview for the series is out. Highlights:

• Stats have it 51% to 49% Avs. Basically a toss up.
  • Avs star power and rush game is top tier but the Jets are effective defending the rush.
  • Jets odds would likely be better if they made different personnel choices (eg Ehlers on the top line though the 2nd is so good it might not be worth breaking up, also Stanley is a net negative statisically).
  • Georgiev sucks.
  • Basically it's MacKinnon vs Hellebuyck.
Wouldn't be too shocked to see Annunen in net, if things start terribly for the Avs. He has had a pretty damn decent stretch of games (up until we pummeled both of their goalies last week).

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's just like playing the Oilers , just hold MacKinnon in check and we are golden. :naughty:

That's the problem with tying up all your cap space on a couple of players.....

True but Scheifele , Connor , Ehlers, Volare , Spicoli , Monahan , Morrissey and Helly is a pretty good counter oh and Jennifer.:naughty:

Donuts make you feel like dancin......

Reactions: Jets 31

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd leave it as it is - Smitty is not mobile (anymore) and he is useless against a cycle which the Aves love. Stan might not be the perfect guy to match up but he at least can stop a cycle (by getting in the way) and he can win a puck battle along the walls (which Smitty can't).
The thing is, both of these guys will get turned around off the rush - but at least Stan has a chance at puck recovery if he plays aggressive.
I'll assume Bones will be watching closely and could make a change here - but I think Stan starts based on the above.
I agree. I also think that if Stan starts playing with more physicality, as he is beginning to do, he can actually be a force in the playoffs. (Note, I don't mean fighting, because he's not very good at that)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I agree. I also think that if Stan starts playing with more physicality, as he is beginning to do, he can actually be a force in the playoffs. (Note, I don't mean fighting, because he's not very good at that)
Yeah, physical play is so important in the PO's when teams get hyper and things gets rough.
He doesn't have to be a good fighter - he just needs to be willing - that takes some of that off the shoulders of guys like Lowry and Dillon.
I'm more interested in his play along the walls in our zone - we need all the help we can get there and Smitty would only make it worse.
And it's not like the guy can't make a play - he's shown us that he can move the puck as well.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just saw that the NHL moved up the starting dates of the playoffs to Saturday , the Jets starting on Sunday but not after Toronto so maybe they read all of our posts and gave their heads a good shake.:laugh:

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Haven't seen a starting time for the Jets game yet, probably Sunday at noon .:laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just saw that the NHL moved up the starting dates of the playoffs to Saturday , the Jets starting on Sunday but not after Toronto so maybe they read all of our posts and gave their heads a good shake.

Nah, not a chance. Had to be some TV guy. They make all of the decisions.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

• Avs star power and rush game is top tier but the Jets are effective defending the rush.
  • Jets odds would likely be better if they made different personnel choices (eg Ehlers on the top line though the 2nd is so good it might not be worth breaking up, also Stanley is a net negative statisically).
  • Georgiev sucks.
Just read the article--nice summary.

The Jets really did enhance their chances by winning last night so they can match Lowry vs MacKinnon at home and give Scheifele's line easier competition.

Bottom line--anything can happen in a short series and I will be there on Sunday night to see it all. The euphoria in the early moments of the first game of a Wiinipeg playoff whiteout--when anything is possible--is something to behold!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
There may be a seat or two available

You should have been here three weeks ago during our little losing streak. There were only a few of us left on the bandwagon and you could have sat anywhere you want. Mass exodus
Lol, it wasn't a mass exodus. As I recall, you tried pushing a few people off the bandwagon because you didn't like what they had to say. They've just moved a few rows away and are peacefully enjoying the ride.
:sarcasm:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Lol, it wasn't a mass exodus. As I recall, you tried pushing a few people off the bandwagon because you didn't like what they had to say. They've just moved a few rows away and are sitting peacefully, enjoying the ride.
:sarcasm:
Yes, to paraphrase another hockey fan: I'm on the bandwagon for life, but I reserve the right to bitch about the ride! ;)

• Georgiev sucks.

The statistical matchup:

1713391843853.png

Read the whole thing here: 2024 NHL playoff preview: Jets vs. Avalanche

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So at this point we know who the home team is in every series and the NHL still can’t figure out the dates and times teams are playing.

The opponent will also influence the schedule based on available dates for games 3 and 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad