Speculation: 2024 Off-season Discussion

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Schmaltz for Necas & Kotkaniemi’s contract? They need the cap relief and a scoring forward. We have the cap flexibility for a gamble like this where we get younger and fill out the roster more.
I remember Carolina was the team mentioned as being interested in Schmaltz last trade deadline

Reactions: Summer Rose

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Durzi, Moser, Valimaki, koly, kesselring and Soda. Not exactly giants. Our prospects are bigger but our current roster isn't very big at all.
Imo, our defense is the biggest weakness and hopefully gets a major facelift this offseason.
Watching the playoffs has made it seem apparent, to me anyways, that if a team is going to compete, let alone win, in the playoffs, you need some big mean D men that can skate decently, but also handle and move the puck. I must admit that OEL has done pretty well with Fla. I thought he was toast.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Watching the playoffs has made it seem apparent, to me anyways, that if a team is going to compete, let alone win, in the playoffs, you need some big mean D men that can skate decently, but also handle and move the puck. I must admit that OEL has done pretty well with Fla. I thought he was toast.
Dickinson is big and can skate and handle and move the puck and he’s shown some meanstreak these playoffs. Levshunov also qualifies. Silayev is pretty mediocre with handling/moving the puck. Yakemchuk’s skating is mediocre. Parekh is not big and is very soft. Buium isn’t big but he’s got all the other stuff.

I’d be surprised if Levshunov falls to six. I think he’s more likely to go 2nd than 6th. But I could see Dickinson being there at 6th. Seems like a good target.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Schmaltz for Necas & Kotkaniemi’s contract? They need the cap relief and a scoring forward. We have the cap flexibility for a gamble like this where we get younger and fill out the roster more.
Hmmm, interesting idea. Utah is taking on a LOT of $$$. Necas wants to be paid.

Realistically, Kotkaniemi could battle McBain for 3rd line duty.

Is Necas a C or a RW?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why do you want another Hayton with a terrible contract?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
There's some discussion on trade about NJD trading up for Dickinson at the draft and Mercer has been floated as the return.

Personally I think 6 is more valuable. But does something like 6+Hayton for 10+Mercer make sense for us?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Do soft wingers fit Rod the Bod's coaching style?
He's the GM now? There's a chance they don't even pay up to keep him. Also I feel like Carolina has that problem of too much of the same flavor in their forward group. Lots of two-way guys. No clear playmakers. Necas is the winger version of Aho who both are mixes of Tuevo + Staal , who are version 1.0 of Martinook who is the less skilled version of Jarvis. Adding Guentzel was a nice add and Svechnikov is his own animal. But all of those guys aren't elite playmakers. Or even very very good playmakers like Schmaltz is.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
He's the GM now? There's a chance they don't even pay up to keep him. Also I feel like Carolina has that problem of too much of the same flavor in their forward group. Lots of two-way guys. No clear playmakers. Necas is the winger version of Aho who both are mixes of Tuevo + Staal , who are version 1.0 of Martinook who is the less skilled version of Jarvis. Adding Guentzel was a nice add and Svechnikov is his own animal. But all of those guys aren't elite playmakers. Or even very very good playmakers like Schmaltz is.
He got a 5 year extension

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
My wants highlighted...

1716224234082.png

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Building through the draft is so slow and boring. Hopefully we get some good smart trades. As a fan 85 points this year is an epic fail. You will all call me out again but if we don't make the playoffs this year BA will be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad