2024 NHL Draft

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At the moment, it's like "Ok, who do you like now? Then hope it's a guy who won't be at the U18 Worlds, because if he isn't, he's likely to get jumped over by May."

But I'm not gonna spend much time thinking draft until we see if the Isles are in the playoffs.

What would really kind of suck would be to miss the playoffs AND be drafting 16th. A stamp of pure mediocrity.

PS) If you're drafting 16-20 and you keep the pick and your organization simply lack offensive skill, then I'm thinking you've gotta hope that Connelly is around at that point.
#16 spot has been kind to the Islanders (cough cough Barzal).

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Trevor Connnelly's highlights look very similar to Barzal. I think he would be a great pick at 16-18 if available!!

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
PS) If you're drafting 16-20 and you keep the pick and your organization simply lack offensive skill, then I'm thinking you've gotta hope that Connelly is around at that point.
There's practically no chance the buttoned up Islanders draft him. There's a whole article on him where not only is it that one incident, but others. The moment he's drafted on Long Island, national reporters are going to do a deep dive into his interactions during his stay on long island. He's not going to be drafted in NY Metro, and he's not going to be drafted in California. And if the kid has turned it around (it wasn't just one thing, that is evident), it's better for him if he does it somewhere else. I will delete my account if the Islanders draft him.

There will be wingers with either size or speed or both available, and there will be some 2-way defenders available. Islanders need everything organizationally. There will be something they'll eventually need available, whether it's a winger with speed, size, or both, or a talented d-man who doesn't have the polish of the top guys. That is available. And if someone really wants to move up to grab a guy like Connelly, there are enough players who seem to have a small enough difference between them at that point, trade down.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There's practically no chance the buttoned up Islanders draft him. There's a whole article on him where not only is it that one incident, but others. The moment he's drafted on Long Island, national reporters are going to do a deep dive into his interactions during his stay on long island. He's not going to be drafted in NY Metro, and he's not going to be drafted in California. And if the kid has turned it around (it wasn't just one thing, that is evident), it's better for him if he does it somewhere else. I will delete my account if the Islanders draft him.

There will be wingers with either size or speed or both available, and there will be some 2-way defenders available. Islanders need everything organizationally. There will be something they'll eventually need available, whether it's a winger with speed, size, or both, or a talented d-man who doesn't have the polish of the top guys. That is available. And if someone really wants to move up to grab a guy like Connelly, there are enough players who seem to have a small enough difference between them at that point, trade down.

What did he do? I'm unfamiliar.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
What did he do? I'm unfamiliar.
Brief discussion and linked article on page 1 of this thread. At least about 1 thing - don't know if there are others? There was one other allegation and he was suspended, but apparently after it was investigated the suspension was dropped and he was cleared.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

If he's good enough for Providence, he'll be good enough for Lou. :naughty:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Let's be honest...

We haven't drafted in the 1st round for 5 years so odds are we won't be again. Still plenty of time for Lou to unload it (and the 2nd).

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Let's be honest...

We haven't drafted in the 1st round for 5 years so odds are we won't be again. Still plenty of time for Lou to unload it (and the 2nd).
Although we usually trade the second round picks, has any team been worse with their selections over the last 10+ years?

2012 Pokka
2017 Salo
2018 Wilde
2018 Ishakov
2019 Bolduc
2021 Raty
2022 Odelius

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I noticed that the NHL gave the Isles the 2026 All Star game...But not the 2026 NHL Draft.

I assume they're waiting for Lou to no longer be GM so that the UBS crowd can see a high pick actually being made by the host team.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I noticed that the NHL gave the Isles the 2026 All Star game...But not the 2026 NHL Draft.

I assume they're waiting for Lou to no longer be GM so that the UBS crowd can see a high pick actually being made by the host team.

I think they're doing away with the centralized draft.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Although we usually trade the second round picks, has any team been worse with their selections over the last 10+ years?

2012 Pokka
2017 Salo
2018 Wilde
2018 Ishakov
2019 Bolduc
2021 Raty
2022 Odelius
Idk, it's really not that bad. Really the interesting one was Wilde, because there's analysis that was understood at the time. Drury was the opposite of Wilde back then - steady, not flashy, played a simple, intelligent game. And now he's a good pro performing as projected. Idk if there those kinds of obvious alternatives with the other picks.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I thought we got Pulock in the 13th slot.

15th...

In 2013.

Seen as such, there's really no reason to have the draft on Long Island.

Looks like they're looking to change the draft though.

Which I think will be a big shame. The event as we know it would come to an end.

Their replacement suggestion will be a lot more affordable for all involved though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin27NYI

scott99

May 13, 2005
There two insanely talented defensemen in this draft, but I think the Isles will miss out on them. Zeev Buium who played on Denver (college champs). He scored 50 points as a freshman, he was 17 when the season started. Literally like a 4th forward out there.

And then there’s Zane Parekh, he scored 33 goals and 96 points this year, unheard of stats for a dman. Led Saginaw in scoring.

Both might go top 10.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
There two insanely talented defensemen in this draft, but I think the Isles will miss out on them. Zeev Buium who played on Denver (college champs). He scored 50 points as a freshman, he was 17 when the season started. Literally like a 4th forward out there.

And then there’s Zane Parekh, he scored 33 goals and 96 points this year, unheard of stats for a dman. Led Saginaw in scoring.

Both might go top 10.

Top 13 for sure.

I'm just hoping one of Michael Hage or Dean Letourneau will still be there when we pick 32nd overall.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, he plays more like a lacrosse middie than a hockey defenseman. The way he shifts his feet/skates when he passes makes him look like Q. Hughes. Bigger player, obv, but not as gifted a 4-way skater.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, he plays more like a lacrosse middie than a hockey defenseman. The way he shifts his feet/skates when he passes makes him look like Q. Hughes. Bigger player, obv, but not as gifted a 4-way skater.
I think the trend in hockey is towards having one very mobile/skilled defender play Stan Fischler's old "rover" position and have the D partner be a defense-first guy, but still highly mobile (think Romanov). That's the future (if not the present). It's becoming a liability to have 2 guys on the ice (40% of your skaters) as offensive black holes.

Look at basketball now versus 20, 30 or 40 years ago. It's like a different game. Hockey is heading in that direction, IMO.

Reactions: leeroggy

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I think the trend in hockey is towards having one very mobile/skilled defender play Stan Fischler's old "rover" position and have the D partner be a defense-first guy, but still highly mobile (think Romanov). That's the future (if not the present). It's becoming a liability to have 2 guys on the ice (40% of your skaters) as offensive black holes.

Look at basketball now versus 20, 30 or 40 years ago. It's like a different game. Hockey is heading in that direction, IMO.
Probably more accurate to say going back to the 80's when you had many D-pairings like this . . . Coffey-lowe comes to mind quickly

Reactions: doublechili

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale

2012 Pokka
2017 Salo
2018 Wilde
2018 Ishakov
2019 Bolduc
2021 Raty
2022 Odelius

Raty was not a bad pick we basically got 2nd round value out of him in the Horvat trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad