2024 NHL Draft

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
The islanders certainly need more speed and skill up front. Im all for giving a kid a second chance especially after making a dumb social media mistake. My concern would be his attitude. I’m not drafting any me guys first like Ho Sang anymore. Those kinds of talents rarely work out.

I haven't seen that type of attitude from him. I never liked Ho-Sang or his attitude and if I got any of that from Connelly so far, I wouldn't bother. I feel like his response to his mistake has shown maturity and the exact opposite of a me-first type of personality. Read the article I posted above.

Reactions: Islesfan22

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don't care about teenage mistakes, this team needs to pick Trevor Connelly in the draft. He's the most skilled player, period. Skates like Barzal, shoots like no one we've had in decades, dynamic in every way, great hockey sense, good defensively, good size, etc. I'm convinced he will be a superstar player in the NHL.

What's his weakness, you may ask? Well... when he was 16 his teammate made a swastika and he took a photo of it and posted it to social media. In this day and age, that's basically career suicide. But he was just a kid and has gone above and beyond to atone for it and realizes it was a dumb, insensitive thing to do.

Lou has always been about 2nd chances when they're earned. Roy is a perfect example of that. Connelly is the Isles chance at a top level talent outside of the top 10 of the draft because other teams will shy away from his past mistakes, but I think Lou would see it for what it is and give this potential superstar another chance. That is, if he doesn't trade the pick.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want Connelly at the draft. Kid's a sure thing, in my mind.

I too would have zero problem with coming out of this first round with Connelly.

Zero.

And like you, I do think there's very sound reason to believe that he'll be available in that 12-18 range.

In a scenario where Lou actually keeps the pick, will the Isles be selecting there?

So many chips still need to fall over the next 28 some games.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I don't care about teenage mistakes, this team needs to pick Trevor Connelly in the draft. He's the most skilled player, period. Skates like Barzal, shoots like no one we've had in decades, dynamic in every way, great hockey sense, good defensively, good size, etc. I'm convinced he will be a superstar player in the NHL.

What's his weakness, you may ask? Well... when he was 16 his teammate made a swastika and he took a photo of it and posted it to social media. In this day and age, that's basically career suicide. But he was just a kid and has gone above and beyond to atone for it and realizes it was a dumb, insensitive thing to do.

Lou has always been about 2nd chances when they're earned. Roy is a perfect example of that. Connelly is the Isles chance at a top level talent outside of the top 10 of the draft because other teams will shy away from his past mistakes, but I think Lou would see it for what it is and give this potential superstar another chance. That is, if he doesn't trade the pick.

I don't know about anyone else, but I want Connelly at the draft. Kid's a sure thing, in my mind.
It's so funny. I'm 31 now, and when I look back at what I did at 16 I instantly cringe. Absolutely insane that we put all this pressure on teenagers to carry a model life, when they hardly have things figured out all the way.

Love what I've seen out of Connelly on the ice, and think he'd be a perfect fit for a team that desperately needs a spark.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I too would have zero problem with coming out of this first round with Connelly.

Zero.

And like you, I do think there's very sound reason to believe that he'll be available in that 12-18 range.

In a scenario where Lou actually keeps the pick, will the Isles be selecting there?

So many chips still need to fall over the next 28 some games.

While I have you... what are your thoughts on some of the European players? I'm particularly interested in Pulkkinen, Muhonen, Solberg, and Koivu.

It's so funny. I'm 31 now, and when I look back at what I did at 16 I instantly cringe. Absolutely insane that we put all this pressure on teenagers to carry a model life, when they hardly have things figured out all the way.

Love what I've seen out of Connelly on the ice, and think he'd be a perfect fit for a team that desperately needs a spark.

No kidding. Some people do worse at 26 and still grow out of it, forget 16 years old. I think Lou is old school enough to look past it. At least he's shown it with Lehner, Roy, etc.

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
While I have you... what are your thoughts on some of the European players? I'm particularly interested in Pulkkinen, Muhonen, Solberg, and Koivu.

Well, Pulkkinen is an absolute manchild sizewise and I'm having a hard time finding a European overager at any point who's made such a jump from his DY+1 to DY+2. Going from simply 4 assists in 43 U20 league games to 28 points in 18 U20 league games is mesmirizing as is, but to then be tacking on 4 points in 6 Mestis games and 6 in 18 Liiga contests while more than holding his own physically is just outstanding. His WJC stats were just short of great as well. But anyone drafting him is doing so with the knowledge that he may never have the skating (most especially, the 4-way mobiliy) for a regular NHL role. That's the big risk. But definitely one worth taking if you ask me.

Muhonen also has great size and will first turn 18 in a couple of weeks. He's got real good mechanics and for my taste, he's an exceptional skater for a 6'4" 17-year-old. Hasn't produced a whole lot, but tools a plenty at this juncture. He'll be selected and is still eligible for the U18 tourney this year, so it'll be good to (hopefully) see him there. A standout performance there could boost him significantly.

Solberg's skating and shot really remind me of our own Mike Reilly, to be honest. Has a bit of a hunch and winds his slapper up the same way. He's looked fine internationally, perhaps moreso because he plays for a constant underdog, but it's so hard to read too much into Norway's men's league. Yes, he's been real good there as a teenager. Certainly. But the level of play is sub-ECHL in many instances. I really hoped he'd be in Sweden this year. I'd be ecstatic about him as a prospect if you can grab him in the 4th round or later. He's not the guy I'd wanna invest in as a 2nd rounder.

As for Koivu, he has his dad's build (too bad it's not his uncle's) and is a righty shot, which takes some getting used to for those who basically witnessed the entire careers of the Koivu brothers. He's pretty young for this draft (turns 18 like a week before the draft), so that will work in his favor. He's hard to read. I mean, sure, there's some game there and he does seem to have some innate offensive understanding (in the genes?), but I don't know if I'd have honed in on him all that much in his junior showings had it not been for the name? I felt his Liiga play was typical for a fish out of water. Barely touched the puck. Chased the game. Was obviously being super careful. Definitely a tough player to read as far as making any prediction is concerned. The junior stats are fine this season, but they're the best he's had in a while. In fact, his U20 league stats are considerably better than what he's done over two season for the U18 (including this one). That indicates to me that playing with better kids who have a better understanding of the game is right up his alley, thus speaking favorably for him moving forward. Like Muhonen, the U18 Worlds will let us know just where he's at.

Reactions: Konk and Potvottier

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I haven't seen that type of attitude from him. I never liked Ho-Sang or his attitude and if I got any of that from Connelly so far, I wouldn't bother. I feel like his response to his mistake has shown maturity and the exact opposite of a me-first type of personality. Read the article I posted above.
I just want to note the difference between a dude who never faced a consequence in his life before he got in trouble vs. a dude who whose coach called a 16 year old a Harlem Globetrotter to the press. I'm not saying JHS's make-up is conducive to being a professional, but comparing what he dealt with to that... well, it's the province of ignorant internet clowns. The fact that Ho-Sang is a Jew makes it doubly offensive.

That said, I do not think this idiotic comparison is Connelly's responsibility. I do not have any doubt that NYI would do a deep dive on him if they were to consider drafting him. Kids learn stuff like this from ignorant parents & peers. If you figure out which it was, and you figure out whether those people are still in their lives, you can figure out what to do.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Well, Pulkkinen is an absolute manchild sizewise and I'm having a hard time finding a European overager at any point who's made such a jump from his DY+1 to DY+2. Going from simply 4 assists in 43 U20 league games to 28 points in 18 U20 league games is mesmirizing as is, but to then be tacking on 4 points in 6 Mestis games and 6 in 18 Liiga contests while more than holding his own physically is just outstanding. His WJC stats were just short of great as well. But anyone drafting him is doing so with the knowledge that he may never have the skating (most especially, the 4-way mobiliy) for a regular NHL role. That's the big risk. But definitely one worth taking if you ask me.

Muhonen also has great size and will first turn 18 in a couple of weeks. He's got real good mechanics and for my taste, he's an exceptional skater for a 6'4" 17-year-old. Hasn't produced a whole lot, but tools a plenty at this juncture. He'll be selected and is still eligible for the U18 tourney this year, so it'll be good to (hopefully) see him there. A standout performance there could boost him significantly.

Solberg's skating and shot really remind me of our own Mike Reilly, to be honest. Has a bit of a hunch and winds his slapper up the same way. He's looked fine internationally, perhaps moreso because he plays for a constant underdog, but it's so hard to read too much into Norway's men's league. Yes, he's been real good there as a teenager. Certainly. But the level of play is sub-ECHL in many instances. I really hoped he'd be in Sweden this year. I'd be ecstatic about him as a prospect if you can grab him in the 4th round or later. He's not the guy I'd wanna invest in as a 2nd rounder.

As for Koivu, he has his dad's build (too bad it's not his uncle's) and is a righty shot, which takes some getting used to for those who basically witnessed the entire careers of the Koivu brothers. He's pretty young for this draft (turns 18 like a week before the draft), so that will work in his favor. He's hard to read. I mean, sure, there's some game there and he does seem to have some innate offensive understanding (in the genes?), but I don't know if I'd have honed in on him all that much in his junior showings had it not been for the name? I felt his Liiga play was typical for a fish out of water. Barely touched the puck. Chased the game. Was obviously being super careful. Definitely a tough player to read as far as making any prediction is concerned. The junior stats are fine this season, but they're the best he's had in a while. In fact, his U20 league stats are considerably better than what he's done over two season for the U18 (including this one). That indicates to me that playing with better kids who have a better understanding of the game is right up his alley, thus speaking favorably for him moving forward. Like Muhonen, the U18 Worlds will let us know just where he's at.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these kids. I really appreciate it.

In the past I may have overlooked skating deficiencies, but I think it's clear in the modern NHL game, especially watching some of the Islanders' slow skaters on regular basis, that it's extremely important to not just be fast, but have good mobility. Especially as a defenseman.

As a result, I would probably stay away from Pulkkinen based on skating and mobility alone. As much as his progress may be tempting, he will likely never improve his skating to the point of being a strength. I think Lou and the scouting staff should prioritize making skating a strength and the foundation of their drafting strategy. Of course hockey sense, work ethic, etc. should also be top priority. But skating the puck out of your own zone has been an Achilles heel of this team and it needs to become a strength.

Koivu sounds interesting as a middle-round pick, maybe not in the 2nd round where some have him ranked. I do think Muhonen and Solberg should be considerations, particularly Muhonen. He reminds me a bit of how Pelech was always considered a strong skater and solid defensive defenseman in the OHL and you knew what you were getting with him.

I would love to ask you about a boat load of other European kids, but I'll save that for another time.

Reactions: Chapin Landvogt

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I just want to note the difference between a dude who never faced a consequence in his life before he got in trouble vs. a dude who whose coach called a 16 year old a Harlem Globetrotter to the press. I'm not saying JHS's make-up is conducive to being a professional, but comparing what he dealt with to that... well, it's the province of ignorant internet clowns. The fact that Ho-Sang is a Jew makes it doubly offensive.

That said, I do not think this idiotic comparison is Connelly's responsibility. I do not have any doubt that NYI would do a deep dive on him if they were to consider drafting him. Kids learn stuff like this from ignorant parents & peers. If you figure out which it was, and you figure out whether those people are still in their lives, you can figure out what to do.

Is the bolded in reference to Connelly? I'm curious how you know so much about his personal life already. Care to expand on that?

As far as JHS is concerned, it was the GM Warren Rychel who made that comment. If you're going to pretend to be an expert on him and "what he dealt with" at least get the facts right. Rychel was wrong to make that comment, but JHS started digging his own grave way before that. I watched him play and followed his career well before he pulled an Islanders sweater over his head and the biggest difference between Connelly and Ho Sang is that one "dude" is accountable and takes personal responsibility for his actions while the other "dude" constantly blamed everyone else for his failings.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Is the bolded in reference to Connelly? I'm curious how you know so much about his personal life already. Care to expand on that?

As far as JHS is concerned, it was the GM Warren Rychel who made that comment. If you're going to pretend to be an expert on him and "what he dealt with" at least get the facts right. Rychel was wrong to make that comment, but JHS started digging his own grave way before that. I watched him play and followed his career well before he pulled an Islanders sweater over his head and the biggest difference between Connelly and Ho Sang is that one "dude" is accountable and takes personal responsibility for his actions while the other "dude" constantly blamed everyone else for his failings.
just reflect maybe that it reveals a lot to compare a person who failed for someone who did something crappy to others. that might clue you in why consequences are different for different people. i don't know what to tell you if you think the kinds of accountability in question are comparable, other than, "yikes"

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
just reflect maybe that it reveals a lot to compare a person who failed for someone who did something crappy to others. that might clue you in why consequences are different for different people. i don't know what to tell you if you think the kinds of accountability in question are comparable, other than, "yikes"

You missed the point entirely. The point isn't how comparable their actions and consequences were, but rather each person's ability to own up to their own mistakes, whatever they may be, and whatever severity. Ho-Sang always put the blame on everyone else, Connelly made himself personally accountable. Are their prior actions the same in terms of severity? No, Connelly's was worse... no one stated otherwise, so your reading comprehension skills are "yikes."

Reactions: Ishkabible

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This is the biggest no f***ing brainer pick EVER!! We love getting the relatives..Lindross, David Toews, Reinhart, MacLean, Sutter's. Tyce Thompson, Strome, etc. So, with that being said, The Islanders select...

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
This is the biggest no f***ing brainer pick EVER!! We love getting the relatives..Lindross, David Toews, Reinhart, MacLean, Sutter's. Tyce Thompson, Strome, etc. So, with that being said, The Islanders select...

He's definitely going top 10. The Isles only have a shot at him if they keep losing. We all know they will win enough to miss the playoffs, but not lose enough to get into the top 10.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Amazingly Iginla is still on the board .Next up the NYI .. The Islanders select Buster Berard . Missed again

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Amazingly Iginla is still on the board .Next up the NYI .. The Islanders select Buster Berard . Missed again
There's a Brody Berard, eligible 2027.

Also Joe Iginla in 2026... looks like another top 10 pick.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Draft Zayne Parekh so we can get rid of Mayfield sooner than later.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Draft Zayne Parekh so we can get rid of Mayfield sooner than later.

We have to start losing in regulation more to get him, I'm afraid. So that means more minutes for Mayfield in the short term.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Either Connelly or Iginla are my top two picks. They would be the perfect choices.

I know we joke about the relatives (it's mostly true), but I love the way Iginla plays. Has an endless motor, a great skater, wicked shot, and silky mitts. Actually surprised he's projected to go 10-12.

I'm so done with the season, and shifting most of my energy towards the draft. I know we're going to trade the first, because that's what Lou does, but a man can dream.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Either Connelly or Iginla are my top two picks. They would be the perfect choices.

I know we joke about the relatives (it's mostly true), but I love the way Iginla plays. Has an endless motor, a great skater, wicked shot, and silky mitts. Actually surprised he's projected to go 10-12.

I'm so done with the season, and shifting most of my energy towards the draft. I know we're going to trade the first, because that's what Lou does, but a man can dream.

In the few highlights of Iginla I have watched, he reminds me a lot of his dad. I’d be very happy adding him.

Reactions: Skip To My Lou

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
I’d take their sister Jade Iginla at this point. Our prospect system needs help. She’s bigger than Aho lol

You're not lying... we need to make this pick count, for sure.

As much as I'd love to add Tij, I think he goes top 10.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You're not lying... we need to make this pick count, for sure.

As much as I'd love to add Tij, I think he goes top 10.
Obviously don’t know how falls in the draft but a center I really like and think has high upside is Sacha Boisvert

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Obviously don’t know how falls in the draft but a center I really like and think has high upside is Sacha Boisvert

If we're in the 10-15 range, he would be a reach.

If we're ignoring need, Zayne Parekh is going to be a star. Not sure if he lasts to the Isles pick, but they can't ignore him if he does. He's such a smart player, but he's not physical or very strong defensively.

Bill Herlyn

Oct 18, 2017
Drafting 13-15 I would be happy with Connelly or Iginlia who will likely be available. It seems like the best d men will have been selected by then.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
If we're in the 10-15 range, he would be a reach.

If we're ignoring need, Zayne Parekh is going to be a star. Not sure if he lasts to the Isles pick, but they can't ignore him if he does. He's such a smart player, but he's not physical or very strong defensively.
I think Parekh is going top 5. Unless we find our way there via lottery/trade, don't see him as an Islander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad