Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RW Maxim Masse, Chicoutimi QMJHL

There is little doubt that Masse was one of the stronger forwards in the Q this past year, with a 36-39-75 line in 69 games. He's got an NHL frame at 6'1-190 and is diverse enough in his scoring arsenal that he's received no small amount of 1st round attention for the 2024 NHL draft. But while there is a lot on the surface to be excited about, there are a few concerns under the surface which Masse will need to improve in order to succeed in a top 6 role at the professional level.

When he's on his game, Masse can really pour in the points. He's a true dual threat -- a borderline high-end passer and shooter who can create time and space with a nifty set of hands and a penchant for using his strong frame to protect the puck. Masse is not a high-pace offensive creator -- he likes to slow it down. He likes to use his hands and puck-protection to give himself space. When he wins these battles, he's got a shot which he uses both to beat goalies clean, and he can also connect on passes with impressive vision to create high-danger scoring chances.

The lack of pace, however, is certainly a concern at higher levels. One such reason is that Masse is probably a below average skater. It's frustrating because he actually has a powerful first step, and he can get from a standstill to top speed in an instant. But it's frustrating in the sense that his top speeds are not very good. He is also not a player with impressive edges or mobility. Out of several things which give me pause on Masse, this is the foremost one.

Masse's hockey IQ is also fraught with contradiction. While he can make some extremely smart plays with the puck in order to create room for himself or to create offense for his team, he is also prone to bad decisions. He's a very good volume shooter and very good passer in general, but often will choose the wrong option -- shooting directly into a defender's shin pads or trying to force passes into double coverage. It's not as if he gets frustrated, it's almost set at random with Masse -- good play than bad play then good play then bad play. Compete level? Also inconsistent. Masse is a hard worker with the puck but this ethic can lag without it. When Masse is fully engaged, he can be a difference-maker, but he's not always fully engaged.

In conclusion, there is certainly a lot to like and hope for with a player as multi-dimensionally talented on offense as Maxim Masse. But the concerns with skating and in-game focus would give me pause to drafting him as early as some have advocated. I would start looking at him towards the end of the 2nd round, but someone will certainly have fallen for his combination of size and skill and taken him by then.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RW Sam O'Reilly, London OHL

There is a rare case where there is a player I love but I would still be extremely hesitant to draft. O'Reilly is a hard-working and very gritty 6'1-180 winger who is both smart and constantly engaged. He's a beast down low, always getting pucks to the net and high-danger areas, an animal in the corners and the crease. He shows smarts and a strong team ethic, great positioning and anticipation.

O'Reilly's calling card are his high-end intangibles, penchant for physicality and excellence in the dirty areas but he's also deceptively skilled. I'd rank his puck-handling, passing and shooting as all good-to-very-good-across the board. If all of this sounds like he'd be a terrific NHL 3rd liner with some upside, I would absolutely agree.

The problem is, he's just not a good skater. There's no way to sugarcoat it, O'Reilly is well below average on his skates for the OHL -- and even with great improvements would still be far from where he would need to be in the NHL in order for the rest of his game to click. I hate saying this, because there is so much about this player to like, but there is no singular weakness which can derail an otherwise covetable tool-set than deficiencies in skating.

Despite high rankings in the mid-2nd and a consensus ranking in the 3rd round, I'd say either of those two spots are far higher than I would take O'Reilly. But because he's such a hard worker and smart and skilled player, I'm going to root for him to work his way into the NHL. There is nothing not to like about Sam O'Reilly, but unfortunately when skating is the weakness, that's no guarantee of anything.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
2024 Draft Profile:

RW Maxim Masse, Chicoutimi QMJHL

There is little doubt that Masse was one of the stronger forwards in the Q this past year, with a 36-39-75 line in 69 games. He's got an NHL frame at 6'1-190 and is diverse enough in his scoring arsenal that he's received no small amount of 1st round attention for the 2024 NHL draft. But while there is a lot on the surface to be excited about, there are a few concerns under the surface which Masse will need to improve in order to succeed in a top 6 role at the professional level.

When he's on his game, Masse can really pour in the points. He's a true dual threat -- a borderline high-end passer and shooter who can create time and space with a nifty set of hands and a penchant for using his strong frame to protect the puck. Masse is not a high-pace offensive creator -- he likes to slow it down. He likes to use his hands and puck-protection to give himself space. When he wins these battles, he's got a shot which he uses both to beat goalies clean, and he can also connect on passes with impressive vision to create high-danger scoring chances.

The lack of pace, however, is certainly a concern at higher levels. One such reason is that Masse is probably a below average skater. It's frustrating because he actually has a powerful first step, and he can get from a standstill to top speed in an instant. But it's frustrating in the sense that his top speeds are not very good. He is also not a player with impressive edges or mobility. Out of several things which give me pause on Masse, this is the foremost one.

Masse's hockey IQ is also fraught with contradiction. While he can make some extremely smart plays with the puck in order to creat room for himself or to create offense for his team, he is also prone to bad decisions. He's a very good volume shooter and very good passer in general, but often will choose the wrong option -- shooting directly into a defender's shin pads or trying to force passes into double coverage. It's not as if he gets frustrated, it's almost set at random with Masse -- good play than bad play then good play then bad play. Compete level? Also inconsistent. Masse is a hard worker with the puck but this ethic can lag without it. When Masse is fully engaged, he can be a difference-maker, but he's not always fully engaged.

In conclusion, there is certainly a lot to like and hope for with a player as multi-dimensionally talented on offense as Maxim Masse. But the concerns with skating and in-game focus would give me pause to drafting him as early as some have advocated. I would start looking at him towards the end of the 2nd round, but someone will certainly have fallen for his combination of size and skill and taken him by then.
frustrating and inconsistent are def good words for masse's season lol big faller for me. went into the year expecting hed be the runaway best Q product and a pretty safe middle of the 1st projection, neither of which i think are true now. it almost felt like his game regressed/simplified over the course of the season, pulling back on that playmaking side and turning more into a triggerman who...didnt do a whole lot else away from the puck

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
frustrating and inconsistent are def good words for masse's season lol big faller for me. went into the year expecting hed be the runaway best Q product and a pretty safe middle of the 1st projection, neither of which i think are true now. it almost felt like his game regressed/simplified over the course of the season, pulling back on that playmaking side and turning more into a triggerman who...didnt do a whole lot else away from the puck
Yeah, agreed. I think there's enough there to look at him outside the top 50 picks, but I also think we both know Masse will be long gone by that time.

Steve K’s top 16

1. Celebrini
2. Silayev
3. Demidov
4. Iginla
5. Helenius
6. Buium
7. Catton
8. Dickinson
9. Yakemchuk
10. Connelly
11. Eiserman
12. MBN
13. Lindstrom
14. Levshunov
15. Parekh
16. Chernyshov
Thanks for contributing, it's great to know how people see the prospect rankings.

Just for the sake of conversation, what would be your reasoning for uncommonly low rankings of Lindstrom and Levshunov?

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
Yeah, agreed. I think there's enough there to look at him outside the top 50 picks, but I also think we both know Masse will be long gone by that time.

Thanks for contributing, it's great to know how people see the prospect rankings.

Just for the sake of conversation, what would be your reasoning for uncommonly low rankings of Lindstrom and Levshunov?
These are Steve Kournianos rankings - he was concerned about Lindstrom’s low assist rates and said Levahunov was not MSU’s #1 D and “lacks an elite skill or benchmark that would definitively separate him from any of the other five top-tier defensemen. In the end, being less bullish on Levshunov simply just comes down to a preference for forwards and a perceived higher ceiling from most of his closest competition.”

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
These are Steve Kournianos rankings - he was concerned about Lindstrom’s low assist rates and said Levahunov was not MSU’s #1 D and “lacks an elite skill or benchmark that would definitively separate him from any of the other five top-tier defensemen. In the end, being less bullish on Levshunov simply just comes down to a preference for forwards and a perceived higher ceiling from most of his closest competition.”
Oh, I actually thought you were a "Steve K". Seeing as I'm about the only person using my real name on these threads, you never can be too sure.

I haven't looked much at Mr. Kournianos' draft writing this year, although I should because I've always considered him among the best in the business, if not the very best.

Mr. Kournianos and I have had some great discussions about prospects over the years. We agree on a lot of things but occasionally differ. I can see his reservations about Levshunov, but I'd disagree strongly on Lindstrom, whom I have ranked #3 overall. He's a rare mix of size/physicality/speed/skill/compete level, and I also feel he's a smarter player and better playmaker than people give him credit for. We can't rule out the idea that the Medicine Hat coaching staff instructs him to shoot the puck whenever possible simply because he's so good at it. I've seen him make some high-end vision type plays and he always seems to have his head up surveying his teammates, even when he's battling racing for pucks.

Ultimately, I can't see Lindstrom slipping too far out of the 3-5 range in the draft. He would make sense for all of Anaheim, Columbus and Montreal.

Levshunov should also be gone long before the Devils pick, not that Fitzgerald would be using another high pick on a RD. His mix of size, speed and skill is very uncommon, to be sure. He's not my top D in this draft, however, like he is for many -- I prefer Buium right now to the field.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
alright so to tackle as many prospects as possible, sti and i are gonna try to do split duty on these draft profiles. he'll continue to focus on some of the bigger remaining names, and ill cover some mid or even late round targets. plan is to keep the format as similar as possible so everythings consistent. ill even give you guys capital letters for once :sarcasm: all of that said, the first one ill take is def a bigger name

2024 Draft Profile:

LW/RW Liam Greentree, Windsor OHL

Standing at an impressive height of 6'2" and weighing nearly 200lb, winger Liam Greentree was one of the top OHL producers this year despite playing on a relatively poor team that offered him minimal offensive support. While his consensus ranking is generally in the teens, it's a bit more volatile than that might indicate: plenty of outlets have aggressively placed him top 10, whereas others have opted for a much less optimistic placement in the 20s. There's plenty of reason to like the player, however I am inclined to side with the latter projection.

There is little doubt that Greentree's offensive vision and overall skillset is very high end. Contrary to what you might think from his frame, Greentree is much more of a finesse winger than a power forward. He regularly identifies tight passing lanes, showcases an impressive ability to find soft spots on the ice, and is great at being able to adjust his stick position on a release to ensure the puck gets through traffic. Greentree is a multi-faceted scorer, with a heavy and accurate wrister and perhaps one of the best backhanders in the class, which he can even use to score from range. His passing game is just as impressive with how he combines a high level of creativity and his soft hands to catch defenders off guard and find teammates. I don't typically grade puck handling as a pure skill (rather, I opt to reference it in the context of shooting, passing, puck control, etc.), but when it comes to Greentree it is worth mentioning that it is simply elite. It's also important to note that, even as a draft eligible, Greentree was named captain of the Spitfires, which is no small feat considering the challenging environment he had to play in.

That's a lot of skill in a big kid, so what's the cause for concern? Well, a couple things. First, for as little help as he did receive in Windsor, he also routinely cheated for offensive opportunities, neglected defensive assignments, and would simply float around the neutral zone waiting for play to come his way. That's not to say he would never backcheck, but it's clear the player had one thing on his mind at all times: offense. Additionally, for as great as his vision is, his decision making can be shockingly poor at times. Passing into obvious traffic, attempting to brute force entries when lanes don't exist, thinking he can out-stickhandle multiple defenders at a time. This is a player who knows how skilled he is and seems to overrely on it at times, to a fault. But most problematic is Greentree's skating. This is not a case of being visually poor or only partially effective, it's outright bad. While his edge work is largely fine, he struggles to gain momentum, has no separation speed, and is both slow and clunky when it comes to cuts.

To me, while Greentree's combination of skill and vision at his size is quite enviable, I'm afraid to go too bullish on him considering how glaring some of his downsides are, namely inconsistent compete and decision making, as well as very poor skating. There's definitely a template to work from here, it's not to say any one issue is so glaring that he shouldn't still be taken in the 1st round, but my personal belief is the top 10 placements are from outlets too infatuated with trying to find the next Jason Robertson. This is a player, for however skilled he is, who has significant projection concerns, doubly so if the team that drafts him also intends on having him lean more into his frame and play a heavier, more physical game. I think he is best suited for an early-exit playoff team that is interested in taking a big swing on skill and can afford to let him marinate for some time.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Apparently Nygard has chosen an SHL team to with next season.

Skellefteå
News link

Notable teammates

Sandin Pellikka - 2023 draft Detroit 17th

Devils legend Andreas Johnsson

Oskar Linburg
----

Does this affect anything with the draft rankings?

Does this make it so he can't play in the NHL at all next year?

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Does this affect anything with the draft rankings?

Does this make it so he can't play in the NHL at all next year?
1) no effect on rankings. its definitely a positive to see him go up a level given how strongly he closed out the season w mora in hockeyallsvenskan (and hes joining a really good team, too). truthfully, this news was out there a couple months ago, i think its only now being made official. he was a very coveted player

2) you're testing my knowledge of the shl transfer agreement lol. my understanding is if he gets signed over the summer, he would be eligible to play in the nhl next year, and there would be some financial compensation that goes along w it (us to skelleftea in this example). given that he'll be a 1st rounder he technically could start in utica too, but my hunch would be that he signs shortly after the draft, gets loaned overseas, recalled once their season ends, and if they think hes ready he'll slot in for the remainder of the season (im pretty sure DET did something like this w kasper)

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
1) no effect on rankings. its definitely a positive to see him go up a level given how strongly he closed out the season w mora in hockeyallsvenskan (and hes joining a really good team, too). truthfully, this news was out there a couple months ago, i think its only now being made official. he was a very coveted player

2) you're testing my knowledge of the shl transfer agreement lol. my understanding is if he gets signed over the summer, he would be eligible to play in the nhl next year, and there would be some financial compensation that goes along w it (us to skelleftea in this example). given that he'll be a 1st rounder he technically could start in utica too, but my hunch would be that he signs shortly after the draft, gets loaned overseas, recalled once their season ends, and if they think hes ready he'll slot in for the remainder of the season (im pretty sure DET did something like this w kasper)
Ty!

So if we did pick him He'd probably be a part of the development camp but probably not the prospect challenge or training camp due the SHL season starting october 10th.?
---

On another note the annual Team board mock draft is about to come to us now the it looks like Flames fan picked Catton.

Sharks- Celebrini
Hawks -Demidov
Ducks -Levshunov
Jackets - Lindstrom
Habs - Iginla
Utah- Buium
Sens - Silayev
Kraken - Dickinson
Flames - Catton

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Ty!

So if we did pick him He'd probably be a part of the development camp but probably not the prospect challenge or training camp due the SHL season starting october 10th.?
---

On another note the annual Team board mock draft is about to come to us now the it looks like Flames fan picked Catton.

Sharks- Celebrini
Hawks -Demidov
Ducks -Levshunov
Jackets - Lindstrom
Habs - Iginla
Utah- Buium
Sens - Silayev
Kraken - Dickinson
Flames - Catton

that would be my expectation, and going back and looking at DET camp rosters from 2022 it parallels what happened w kasper

and looks like the great war of helenius vs mbn is about to begin :sarcasm:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
that would be my expectation, and going back and looking at DET camp rosters from 2022 it parallels what happened w kasper

and looks like the great war of helenius vs mbn is about to begin :sarcasm:
It would be a hard decision but it would be nice to have them both on the board at the draft.

To me Helenius is "Hischier-lite" and Nygard is something in between Crouse, Kempe, and Stone.

So if we pick either of those two I'm good.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
2024 Draft Profile:

C Raoul Boilard, Baie-Comeau QMJHL

In the world of prospect research, a 3rd line center playing in the Q is usually towards the bottom of the list of interesting candidates to write about, much less ones who struggle to put up big numbers. Having said that, I think Boilard might be an exception. His good size, impressive underlying metrics, and solid game-to-game consistency have attracted enough attention to have him generally rated as a mid/late 2nd rounder, and I think he could even be worth an earlier pick.

Boilard could very well be described as the king of efficiency; every single movement this kid makes has an explicit purpose. The way he reads the ice around him, the pockets of space he chooses to challenge, the placement of his stick to shield the puck, the timing he has on passes, the variation in his stride, the poise he has to shrug off contact, the decisions on when to cut, quite simply everything comes together to form one of the most mature on puck presences in the class. He's quite creative with the puck as well, but in a very subtle way, namely through his deception and ability to attract defenders as well as his savvy use of the boards and small area lanes to effectively connect with teammates. And while he has solid stickhandling ability and a quick release, there's just very little overall flash to his game. Boilard, quite simply, gets it. Even off puck, he's constantly appearing from seemingly out of nowhere to take away passing lanes or give his linemates easy options. Factor in his 200ft play and near elite positional ability and you have just about every box checked for an ideal center.

Of course, as great as this sounds, there's a catch. Certainly, even factoring in the context of his deployment, the numbers (which included a lengthy scoring drought) are not particularly inspiring. Nor is his hard skill, either. His brain truly is great, but there's no elite level speed, or shooting, or playmaking, or forechecking, or simply anything to really bank on. Even further, I find his game can be low pace at times, almost to the point that some may question his compete level. I personally don't, I see him engage along the boards or support in puck battles, and I have certainly never seen him check out on a play because he is always scanning the ice, but it must be said that he is definitely more of a pick his spots type player and I know that isn't always well received.

Even considering the concerns, I still think there's a lot to like here. Amateur scouts love predicting breakouts for OHL and WHL kids who are buried on loaded teams, yet we don't see this as much for QMJHL prospects given the comparative weakness of the league. I understand the risk in calling him an early day 2 prospect, there's nothing saying an offensive breakout has to be coming, but there's a lot of reason to believe it might once he gets more/better minutes. With prospects, we often talk A mode vs B mode as in what the player looks like now at the junior level (A) and what they might need to look like long term if some of their game doesn't translate (B). Boilard's game fundamentally functions as both A and B mode, and I think that helps him have a decent shot at an NHL gig even if only as a very average 4C. This is a player I would be interested in taking with our 3rd rounder, or perhaps even later should he slide.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
alright so to tackle as many prospects as possible, sti and i are gonna try to do split duty on these draft profiles. he'll continue to focus on some of the bigger remaining names, and ill cover some mid or even late round targets. plan is to keep the format as similar as possible so everythings consistent. ill even give you guys capital letters for once :sarcasm: all of that said, the first one ill take is def a bigger name

2024 Draft Profile:

LW/RW Liam Greentree, Windsor OHL

Standing at an impressive height of 6'2" and weighing nearly 200lb, winger Liam Greentree was one of the top OHL producers this year despite playing on a relatively poor team that offered him minimal offensive support. While his consensus ranking is generally in the teens, it's a bit more volatile than that might indicate: plenty of outlets have aggressively placed him top 10, whereas others have opted for a much less optimistic placement in the 20s. There's plenty of reason to like the player, however I am inclined to side with the latter projection.

There is little doubt that Greentree's offensive vision and overall skillset is very high end. Contrary to what you might think from his frame, Greentree is much more of a finesse winger than a power forward. He regularly identifies tight passing lanes, showcases an impressive ability to find soft spots on the ice, and is great at being able to adjust his stick position on a release to ensure the puck gets through traffic. Greentree is a multi-faceted scorer, with a heavy and accurate wrister and perhaps one of the best backhanders in the class, which he can even use to score from range. His passing game is just as impressive with how he combines a high level of creativity and his soft hands to catch defenders off guard and find teammates. I don't typically grade puck handling as a pure skill (rather, I opt to reference it in the context of shooting, passing, puck control, etc.), but when it comes to Greentree it is worth mentioning that it is simply elite. It's also important to note that, even as a draft eligible, Greentree was named captain of the Spitfires, which is no small feat considering the challenging environment he had to play in.

That's a lot of skill in a big kid, so what's the cause for concern? Well, a couple things. First, for as little help as he did receive in Windsor, he also routinely cheated for offensive opportunities, neglected defensive assignments, and would simply float around the neutral zone waiting for play to come his way. That's not to say he would never backcheck, but it's clear the player had one thing on his mind at all times: offense. Additionally, for as great as his vision is, his decision making can be shockingly poor at times. Passing into obvious traffic, attempting to brute force entries when lanes don't exist, thinking he can out-stickhandle multiple defenders at a time. This is a player who knows how skilled he is and seems to overrely on it at times, to a fault. But most problematic is Greentree's skating. This is not a case of being visually poor or only partially effective, it's outright bad. While his edge work is largely fine, he struggles to gain momentum, has no separation speed, and is both slow and clunky when it comes to cuts.

To me, while Greentree's combination of skill and vision at his size is quite enviable, I'm afraid to go too bullish on him considering how glaring some of his downsides are, namely inconsistent compete and decision making, as well as very poor skating. There's definitely a template to work from here, it's not to say any one issue is so glaring that he shouldn't still be taken in the 1st round, but my personal belief is the top 10 placements are from outlets too infatuated with trying to find the next Jason Robertson. This is a player, for however skilled he is, who has significant projection concerns, doubly so if the team that drafts him also intends on having him lean more into his frame and play a heavier, more physical game. I think he is best suited for an early-exit playoff team that is interested in taking a big swing on skill and can afford to let him marinate for some time.
This is an absolutely outstanding write-up. Thanks for all the hard work!

Ty!

---

Sharks- Celebrini
Hawks -Demidov
Ducks -Levshunov
Jackets - Lindstrom
Habs - Iginla
Utah- Buium
Sens - Silayev
Kraken - Dickinson
Flames - Catton

In this scenario, I would take Nygard, with a second choice of Helenius.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
@Guadana what say you? Nygard or Helenius?
Its hard choice for me, I will be happy with both.

But my choice Nygard. He is my choice after Buium and... Dickinson I guess.
So I have Nygard over Helenius, over Silayev, over Catton,(still be very happy with them, would prefer defensively responsible players) over Sennecke, over Yakemchuk and Parekh.

Im not buy the story about "this player is already final product". He isnt mature man in the junior league with average skating, he is very good skater with great motor and starting speed, very good hockey sense and decision making, accurate passer and shooter(near the top-3 on the draft with Eiserman and Celebrini) and player with best compete level all over the ice. If he would play on the junior level he would show this "high ceiling" flashes.
Its the story of every year where euro players from adult leagues "have high floor but lower ceiling" and players from junior leagues all as one showing great potential. Because its an environment where players can play with the puck more than they could do it in more competitive league. Reason why Im not a huge fan when player is doing some tricks in front of defensemen on average speed. I like manipulative short moves on a high speed and on the move, most of puck handling will be neutralized by NHL defensemen. But short and fast moves is a sign of good brain with good decision making. Its about Nygard. Who is showing positional vision on the higher level now on WC in Czechia and he is much faster player, better shooter, faster in his decision making than Kakko(for all who wants to use "against men" argument. Work pretty well for Raymond, Slafkovsky, Rantanen, Stuzle, couple of them were "final products" too), not only pure positional skill and puck battling. Kakko still very good as a two way/defensive player. Who was average skater with average separation speed. Nygard is better driver in his draft year, Kakko was very good but complimentary player.

If we will compare Nygard and Nygard - its interesting. Nygard looks better and flashier on WC adult level and on WJC U20 level. Nygard outproduced and outplayed Helenius. Nygard is faster from the start, Helenius is very good on the edges. Nygard is bigger. Helenius is better puckhandler. Helenius is more creative playmaker, Nygard is more accurate passer. Both are great positionally on the both ends of the ice, both are good forecheckers.
I think Nygard has easier path to translate his game on NHL level. All of his parts. I don’t think Helenius will have huge problems with translating his game but his starting speed and his lack of high shooting, passing and skating skill could limit his potential with limitations of his size. He is more dynamic than Rossi, but still you can see why Rossi is very good nhler but he will not be dominant first liner, may be complimentary first liner.
On the other hand you can see why Nygard can develop his game and being top line player if everything will going well.

And what is separating Nygard from every other player on this list - Nygard has everything and should develop his game without dramatically changes. He just need to be better. He is already fast with very good skating techniques, he doesn’t need to work on his first step like Sennecke, he doesn’t need to build muscle foundation like Catton or Sennecke, he has already good separation speed- Iginla, Sennecke need to work there. Sennecke and Iginla, especially Sennecke should work a lot on defensive positioning etc. Nygard is really good in everything he needs for his game.

And he is smart in the same time. He has very good habits and very useful all over the ice.

So yeah. Nygard is high and higher on my list than Helenius, Catton, Iginla, Sennecke, etc He is my BPA pick, who is perfect from needs perspective. I think some players from this list will outproduce him, but we don’t know who will do it. And Nygard has real potential and straight road to his ceiling of the player who will produce, will score and will play great two way game. Less points? May be. Better impact? For sure. Again - we don’t know who will and who will not turn all the corners and who will start to read the game better.Nygard already sees the game well.

But I still think Fitz will prefer other player. Nygard is right winger. He is far from “visible need” pick. But on my taste he is very “pick for needs”. Because fast forechecker with good defensive game who can score - we need him much more than playmaking center(Catton) or one way playmaking winger(Sennecke) or scoring one way winger (Iginla, who is smaller and slower). Two way playmaking center Helenius is pick for needs too, but we need top-6/top-3 level forechecking two way winger with scoring ability more than third line center. Jack is playing and playing and playing with Haula all over again for a reason.

I know complaining about traded 2nd round picks is mostly the job of @Guttersniped but this is a really great year for undervalued players at LD, and the Devils would be really lucky to get one of these guys.

I think Solberg and Freij will be gone by pick #42 where the Devils would have selected in Round Two, but there are several guys I'd really like at that spot like Shuravin, Ustinkov, Skahan and maybe even Kiviharju. Maybe one of them will fall to 3rd, and I like Vaisanen a lot for rounds 3/4.
I don’t have opinion about Solberg yet. I saw a couple of his game on WC. He was very good but inconsistent. He played a lot so may be he was overused. After some more games I will say what I’m thinking about him. First impression is better than Parekh and some other defensemen from top list.
Didn’t saw Ustnikov enough. Not a fan of Kiviharju.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RW/C Adam Jecho, Edmonton WHL

Here we have one of the more intriguing secondary names for the 2024 draft. What immediately gets the attention of the more "traditional" draft analysts are the first things you notice -- Jecho is 6'5-200, can play wing or center, and skates very well for his size. Here's what loses the affection of many in the "analytics" draft set -- Jecho only tallied 47 points in his draft-eligible season and his scoring consistency wavered all season long. This led to some remarkable ranking polarities by the consensus -- as high as a 1st round pick (#18, THN/Kennedy) and as low as Round 3 (#64, Eliteprospects). Well, I'm here to tell you the ostensible reality, which is that the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

With this young Czech forward's ability to reach very high speeds with just a stride or two, he's impossible not to notice on the ice. Seeing a kid this big blow past WHL defensemen on the outside is certainly impressive. But I would not call him a *great* skater, as Jecho needs to work on his agility and edges. Once he gets a head of steam and some space he can fly, but we need to keep in mind that most NHL skating is not done in large swaths of open ice.

Jecho's hands are tough to rate. He can make some highlight dekes, but sometimes his eyes get bigger than his stomach and he can cough up pucks trying to be too fancy. I'd say his passing is a similar trait. We've seen him make high-end passes which allude to a capacity for high-end vision, but he also sometimes makes poor decisions in where and when to pass. There are several inconsistencies in Jecho's game which make you wonder if he's just scratching the surface of some enormous potential or if he's a player who doesn't process the game to the degree you'd like with his obvious physical abilities.

What is undeniable about Jecho is his shot. It's an absolutely devastating monster of a shot. His wrist shot is quick, deceptive, fairly accurate and as hard as most amateur players' slap-shots. His one-timer and slapper are absolutely high-end, with the potential of becoming elite as he builds up core strength.

And the power game is certainly an issue for Jecho. He plays more of a finesse style, mostly utilizing his huge frame and length advantage in shielding defenders and puck battles. You wish he would be more physical, but at this point that is just not his game. Defensively he's a hard worker who I would say is effective without being impressive.

There is a lot to work on here, but there is also a ton of elements to be intrigued by. The analytics set are dismissing him as "just a big guy" but his numbers do not tell the story. Jecho toiled this season for an absolutely abominable Oil Kings team, usually overmatched and pairing Jecho with overmatched line mates. Some of his foremost issues -- consistency and trying to do too much -- could be at least partially attributed to that, as well.

In the end, I expect Adam Jecho to have just as much volatility on NHL draft boards as in his consensus rankings. He certainly could go in the 1st round -- fast, 6'5, versatile forwards with good skill and high-end shooting are not easy to find. But other teams will be scared off by the numbers and propensity for gaffes and likely not take him seriously as a top 50 pick. My personal feelings are more of a compromise, as I think his ranking should probably be somewhere in the middle of the 2nd round. The upside is tantalizing, but the guarantees are few.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t have opinion about Solberg yet. I saw a couple of his game on WC. He was very good but inconsistent. He played a lot so may be he was overused. After some more games I will say what I’m thinking about him. First impression is better than Parekh and some other defensemen from top list.
Kiviharju won't be an issue, because he'll likely go in the early 2nd round where the Devils lack a pick. Very unlikely chance of his falling to the 3rd on the basis of his lack of size and injury history.

Ustinkov is a more likely possibility to fall to Round 3 and whoo boy do I like this kid. Here's a good place to start if you have a few free minutes:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2024 Draft Profile:

RW Miguel Marques, Lethbridge WHL

In terms of fun players for the 2024 draft, Miguel Marques is certainly a name to know. He was easily the top scorer and best player for a mediocre Lethbridge squad, with a 28-46-74 line in 67 games. He's quick, plays with pace and intensity and has a complete offensive package as a very good shooter, puck handler and passer. He's about average sized at 5'11-170 and is generally ranked around the 2nd round with a few outlying rankings in the late 1st or early 3rd.

Generally, Marques' skating is a strength. He accelerates quickly, has the edges to dart in and out of traffic and great mobility. His top-speeds are certainly good, though one wishes they were more high-end for a player of his type and size. But when you combine his agility with his very good hands, this is certainly an elusive player who still can separate from even good defenders with the puck on his stick.

Marques most high-end ability is his passing vision, which is just shy of elite. This kid can thread the needle with the best of them and also features high-end creativity. Attaining 46 assists in 67 games on a team with no real finishers or shooters is more impressive than people realize, especially when the opposing defense is always focused on him. He sees the lanes before they happen, then lasers seeing eye passes through them as soon as they do. This is a player who makes his line-mates better, there's no doubt about it.

Though Marques is more playmaker than scorer, he's got a sick little wrist shot, especially inside the circles, and must be considered a true dual threat offensively. Given any space he can really get some mustard on his wrister, and again we're talking about a player very accomplished at creating space for himself. His release is quick and clean, and he can wire the puck just under the crossbar in a heartbeat.

Marques is still ironing out his overall 200-foot game, but he's an energetic forechecker and backchecker with high compete and intelligence. Physicality is not his game but he does not shy from it. Again, as he's relied on so heavily for Lethbridge's offense, I'm sure his coaches do not particularly mind him cheating a bit and trying to do too much offensively at times.

This is certainly a likable player. Miguel Marques might not be a top 25-30 talent, but thereafter I think he'd be a great pick. Maybe he lacks the burner speed or interior size or elite skill for an NHL top line, but I think a future as a high-motor, high-scoring 2nd liner is certainly realistic.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Its hard choice for me, I will be happy with both.

But my choice Nygard. He is my choice after Buium and... Dickinson I guess.
So I have Nygard over Helenius, over Silayev, over Catton,(still be very happy with them, would prefer defensively responsible players) over Sennecke, over Yakemchuk and Parekh.

Im not buy the story about "this player is already final product". He isnt mature man in the junior league with average skating, he is very good skater with great motor and starting speed, very good hockey sense and decision making, accurate passer and shooter(near the top-3 on the draft with Eiserman and Celebrini) and player with best compete level all over the ice. If he would play on the junior level he would show this "high ceiling" flashes.
Its the story of every year where euro players from adult leagues "have high floor but lower ceiling" and players from junior leagues all as one showing great potential. Because its an environment where players can play with the puck more than they could do it in more competitive league. Reason why Im not a huge fan when player is doing some tricks in front of defensemen on average speed. I like manipulative short moves on a high speed and on the move, most of puck handling will be neutralized by NHL defensemen. But short and fast moves is a sign of good brain with good decision making. Its about Nygard. Who is showing positional vision on the higher level now on WC in Czechia and he is much faster player, better shooter, faster in his decision making than Kakko(for all who wants to use "against men" argument. Work pretty well for Raymond, Slafkovsky, Rantanen, Stuzle, couple of them were "final products" too), not only pure positional skill and puck battling. Kakko still very good as a two way/defensive player. Who was average skater with average separation speed. Nygard is better driver in his draft year, Kakko was very good but complimentary player.

If we will compare Nygard and Nygard - its interesting. Nygard looks better and flashier on WC adult level and on WJC U20 level. Nygard outproduced and outplayed Helenius. Nygard is faster from the start, Helenius is very good on the edges. Nygard is bigger. Helenius is better puckhandler. Helenius is more creative playmaker, Nygard is more accurate passer. Both are great positionally on the both ends of the ice, both are good forecheckers.
I think Nygard has easier path to translate his game on NHL level. All of his parts. I don’t think Helenius will have huge problems with translating his game but his starting speed and his lack of high shooting, passing and skating skill could limit his potential with limitations of his size. He is more dynamic than Rossi, but still you can see why Rossi is very good nhler but he will not be dominant first liner, may be complimentary first liner.
On the other hand you can see why Nygard can develop his game and being top line player if everything will going well.

And what is separating Nygard from every other player on this list - Nygard has everything and should develop his game without dramatically changes. He just need to be better. He is already fast with very good skating techniques, he doesn’t need to work on his first step like Sennecke, he doesn’t need to build muscle foundation like Catton or Sennecke, he has already good separation speed- Iginla, Sennecke need to work there. Sennecke and Iginla, especially Sennecke should work a lot on defensive positioning etc. Nygard is really good in everything he needs for his game.

And he is smart in the same time. He has very good habits and very useful all over the ice.

So yeah. Nygard is high and higher on my list than Helenius, Catton, Iginla, Sennecke, etc He is my BPA pick, who is perfect from needs perspective. I think some players from this list will outproduce him, but we don’t know who will do it. And Nygard has real potential and straight road to his ceiling of the player who will produce, will score and will play great two way game. Less points? May be. Better impact? For sure. Again - we don’t know who will and who will not turn all the corners and who will start to read the game better.Nygard already sees the game well.

But I still think Fitz will prefer other player. Nygard is right winger. He is far from “visible need” pick. But on my taste he is very “pick for needs”. Because fast forechecker with good defensive game who can score - we need him much more than playmaking center(Catton) or one way playmaking winger(Sennecke) or scoring one way winger (Iginla, who is smaller and slower). Two way playmaking center Helenius is pick for needs too, but we need top-6/top-3 level forechecking two way winger with scoring ability more than third line center. Jack is playing and playing and playing with Haula all over again for a reason.

Ok so that’s three votes for Nygard with Helenius As the alternate.

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Ok so that’s three votes for Nygard with Helenius As the alternate.
Would be fun if you would answer "I like this perimeter playmakers, looks like they produce better" or something like that. Short and straight.

Overall we are trying hard like we will decide who will be picked. And if Fitz&Co will choose some other player it would be me who tried hard to explain why we should pick specific player. It would be me because of whom we will have an unpleasant bitter feeling as a result.

But still I think its a last easy opportunity to draft right player with higher potential. I hope Fitz will makes the most of this opportunity.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Would be fun if you would answer "I like this perimeter playmakers, looks like they produce better" or something like that. Short and straight.

Overall we are trying hard like we will decide who will be picked. And if Fitz&Co will choose some other player it would be me who tried hard to explain why we should pick specific player. It would be me because of whom we will have an unpleasant bitter feeling as a result.

But still I think its a last easy opportunity to draft right player with higher potential. I hope Fitz will makes the most of this opportunity.
Well if the issue is who does the board want to pick it’s less of a hypothetical about who the team will pick.

Reactions: Guadana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad