3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
5. Lindstrom
6. Buium
7. Parekh
8. Dickinson
9. Iginla
10. Helenius

If the Devils don’t move this pick, the expectation is they’ll take a forward after using their last two high picks on D in Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec (they’ve obviously just signed Seamus Casey, who I think has a real chance to become a good NHL defenseman — and one I think they believe in). The three best forwards available are Helenius, Eiserman and Catton. Helenius’ pro readiness (his coach this season, Olli Jokinen, told me he thinks he’s ready to compete for an NHL job next season) fits best within their timeline. There’s appeal to the idea of Jack Hughes feeding Eiserman on the power play, but I wonder if the troubles they’ve had getting another flawed goal-scoring winger in Alexander Holtz to where they want him makes them gun-shy. And Helenius’ game is more likely to work behind Hughes and Nico Hischier than Catton’s. You can build a contending team around a 1-2-3 down the middle of Hughes, Hischier and Helenius.

11. Yakemchuk
12. Catton
13. Eiserman
14. Jiricek
15. Brandsegg-Nygard
16. Sennecke

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Unless it's a sign and trade for Saros or a Askarov trade, you keep the pick.

No interest in shopping it to Boston for Ullmark. Def not offering it to Cgy for Markstrom given his age and I'm very high on Markstrom.

If Ullmark or Markstrom is the target they can be had in separate deals.
Saros is going to be 30 on his next contact...pass. Askarov I would easily make that trade and include Holtz as well, but that may not be enough.

Ullmark I am interested in for a lesser price.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Wheeler posted his mock draft today:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Levshunov
4. Silayev
5. Lindstrom
6. Buium
7. Parekh
8. Dickinson
9. Iginla
10. Helenius

If the Devils don’t move this pick, the expectation is they’ll take a forward after using their last two high picks on D in Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec (they’ve obviously just signed Seamus Casey, who I think has a real chance to become a good NHL defenseman — and one I think they believe in). The three best forwards available are Helenius, Eiserman and Catton. Helenius’ pro readiness (his coach this season, Olli Jokinen, told me he thinks he’s ready to compete for an NHL job next season) fits best within their timeline. There’s appeal to the idea of Jack Hughes feeding Eiserman on the power play, but I wonder if the troubles they’ve had getting another flawed goal-scoring winger in Alexander Holtz to where they want him makes them gun-shy. And Helenius’ game is more likely to work behind Hughes and Nico Hischier than Catton’s. You can build a contending team around a 1-2-3 down the middle of Hughes, Hischier and Helenius.

11. Yakemchuk
12. Catton
13. Eiserman
14. Jiricek
15. Brandsegg-Nygard
16. Sennecke
I would be thrilled if that is how it plays out.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Scott Wheeler just posted his mock:
1. SJS: Celebrini
2. CHI: Demidov
3. ANA: Levshunov
4. CLB: Silayev
5. MTL: Lindstrom
6. Utah: Buium
7. OTT: Parekh
8. SEA: Dickinson
9. CGY: Iginla
10. NJ: Helenius

@StevenToddIves - Can you give me your opinion on a very specific scenario? Let’s say the draft plays out like this except Calgary passes on Iginla and takes Helenius.

In that case, who would you hope Fitz takes with the pick, and who do you think he’s most likely to take.

Not having watched these guys, just reading what everyone is writing, I’d hope for MBN or Sennecke over Catton or Eiserman (or Iginla).

Edit: Ugh, you guys are too quick.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Don't understand the Silayev over Lindstrom pick in the mock. Do you throw your pick at a potential unicorn over having Fantilli and Lindstrom as your top two centers?

Reactions: Guadana

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Who would be the most NHL ready to pick outside the top 5? Could Helenius legitimately win a spot on the roster next year? Who else could compete for a spot and, worst case, be here after only one year?

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Who would be the most NHL ready to pick outside the top 5? Could Helenius legitimately win a spot on the roster next year? Who else could compete for a spot and, worst case, be here after only one year?
if we were to select helenius, i would have him as a dark horse to make the roster out of camp. of course, part of this would be out of need, but i dont think it would be rushing him either. this past season was his second year of majority liiga games, and i definitely think hes needs to springboard somewhere else next season regardless of where it is. hes simply too far ahead of that league, mentally speaking

you could make the case for a move to the shl, but as ive defended before, i think everything about his game (vision/anticipation, poise/elusiveness on the puck, ability to win puck battles and generate offense from the boards, chippiness/bite, and so on) scales even better on smaller ice/at higher levels/in a NA style. i personally dont love the AHL as an option not because it wouldnt be a benefit but because i think it would parallel what nemo experienced where it wound up being harder for him than the NHL because he didnt have linemates thinking the game the way he does, not to mention helenius has less to work on than nemo did coming out of the draft (though thats not to say he has higher potential, of course)

i dont think id advocate for any non-buium defender to even consider a d+1 nhl jump, and even then i dont mind zeev going back and trying to build on his superb ncaa tournament games. players like mbn and artamonov have readily scaled games but both likely benefit from more time overseas, particularly mbn who is now jumping a level to the shl
Why am I not getting as excited for Helenius as I would for MBN, Ignila, Chesynov(sp?) or Buium, Silayev?
i cant say, but you should be;) perhaps its the idea that hed be "locked" behind jack and nico in a 3rd line role? i wouldnt expect that to be an issue, i think wed be rolling our top 9 lines close to equally or, at the very least, according to game impact

in any case, as weve been seeing, helenius is the type of player who continues to elevate his game and basically put the team on his back when needed, the type you could count on to step up in a playoff series if our top 6 goes cold. it might not be as fun projecting him driving his own line as it would be imagining an iginla or mbn feasting in our top 6, but for me personally the idea of a HHH center depth basically making it impossible to fully match against our top 9 is very exciting

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
OK. I'm very much on team Helenius then. I know he's not the sexy scorer, or the power forward, or the elite franchise center, or the big or offensive D like will be picked before us, a 3C is exactly what we need.
His upside is way higher than a 3C, but he has the qualities to seamlessly fit that role. He’s such a good fit for the Devils current roster.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Why am I not getting as excited for Helenius as I would for MBN, Ignila, Chesynov(sp?) or Buium, Silayev?

FWIW, Wheeler has Helenius as his 9th ranked prospect - only behind Buium (4th) among the guys you have listed.

Here's his write up on Helenius:

Helenius put together one of the most productive under-18 seasons in Liiga history this year, entering into similar territory as names like Patrik Laine, Kaapo Kakko and Mikael Granlund without quite chasing down record holder Aleksander Barkov. He wasn’t just one of the better young players in Liiga, or one of the better players on Jukurit, either. He became one of the top players in the league, period — cemented by an excellent Liiga playoffs. He did while sticking at his natural center position despite being a 5-foot-11 17-year-old who won’t turn 18 until next week. At year’s end, he was also excellent in his debuts with the Finnish men’s team, earning a spot on their senior world championships roster. He was also Finland’s top player at U18s, though he didn’t completely take over in the way many expected and hoped he would. All this, after impressing at world under-17s (where he capped off an 11-in-seven tournament with a four-point performance in the bronze medal game) and last year’s U18 worlds (where I thought he really drove the bus on an otherwise disappointing team). All this, after playing 33 Liiga games as a 16-year-old last season (as the league’s youngest player and still registering 11 points). All this, after impressing at the World Junior Summer Showcase last summer months after his 17th birthday and still as the youngest player invited. All this, after centering a top-six line as an underager at the world juniors (where he wasn’t a star but I thought played better than his two points in seven games indicated).

There were some who wondered for a time if he’d be a center or winger at the NHL level, but he’s solid in the faceoff circle, his defensive play is where it needs to be and then some (it’s a real strength of his game), and he’s got an impressive understanding of how to forecheck, track, and engage for pucks with his body and stick

Helenius is a joy to watch navigate, manipulate and pass the puck with his smarts and intuition. He's got an ability to find his teammates in space and then get pucks to them with the perfect weight and timing, even while he’s well covered. He also stirs the drink through his effort level, regularly coming up with pucks when you don’t expect him to while quietly and efficiently impacting play at both ends of the rink and coming up with a ton of steals and lifts. He’s both a driver and a playmaker. He does such a good job identifying lanes and taking what the defense gives him. He’ll look for his own look when it’s there or play in a quick give-and-go when spacing tightens up. He seems to create constantly. He’s a good though not great skater (which has led to some ranking him outside their top 10s). He anticipates the play at a very high level off the puck (the puck just seems to find him again and again inside the offensive zone). He shields pucks extremely well and can play keep away to wait for his options to open up. He’s got a sixth sense for timing and spacing. He’s always in good support positions and always seems to make the right decisions with the puck. He’s got vision and finesse and a real east-west game. He’s a problem-solver.

He looks like a top-10 pick to me. He has looked pretty clearly like one of the draft’s most intelligent forwards in my viewings. I like the determination he plays with, too. He has already proven to be a pro play driver as well. I think he’s got real top-six prospects as a centre, which is hard to come by.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Another prospect ranking:

1715266305109.png

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

@StevenToddIves - Can you give me your opinion on a very specific scenario? Let’s say the draft plays out like this except Calgary passes on Iginla and takes Helenius.

In that case, who would you hope Fitz takes with the pick, and who do you think he’s most likely to take.

Not having watched these guys, just reading what everyone is writing, I’d hope for MBN or Sennecke over Catton or Eiserman (or Iginla).

@evnted gave a great response here, but I'm going to add my own opinion.

If Helenius, Buium and Dickinson are all gone with the Devils drafting at #10, I truly feel there will be a strong chance that Fitzgerald and the NJ brass would strongly consider Brandsegg-Nygard at #10 overall.

Fitzgerald has already shown he doesn't much care about the consensus rankings (see: Mukhamadullin, Nemec). He's willing to identify the guy he wants and take him.

The big argument here is actually downright silly -- "the Devils would take Catton over Brandsegg-Nygard because they need a center". I mean, if two regular joes like myself and @Guadana can see with relative ease that Brandsegg-Nygard is more likely to play center in the NHL than Catton, I'm sure it's also come up in the Devils' scouting meetings. Just because Catton is listed in mock drafts at C and Brandsegg-Nygard at RW doesn't exactly set things in stone.

So the answer to your question is that -- in your scenario -- I would hope the Devils would draft Brandsegg-Nygard at #10, and it would also feel to me as absolutely a real possibility.

My #2 choice in this scenario still would not be Iginla or Catton or Eiserman -- it would be either Chernyshov or Hage. It might sound weird to some people, but I have all 5 of these players ranked fairly similarly. Also, I truly feel the Devils need to start concentrating again on building team speed. Hage is easily the best skater of these 5, and Chernyshov is easily second. Although Eiserman clearly has the most offensive upside of the 5, he also has the weakest overall game. Although Catton has the second-most offensive upside, he is the smallest and probably at the bottom of the list if you're just ranking the skating skills.

I really really like Iginla so he would be tough to pass on for me. I'd also be happy if we drafted him. But for the Devils, I think Brandsegg-Nygard would be the best pick here. He's a power forward who is also a high-end skater, he has a bomb of a shot and an elite combo of hockey IQ/compete level, he is the best defensive winger in the entire draft and could project to center. It just makes sense.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Guess he's not very high on Lindstrom

Yeah, that's the lowest I've seen him ranked - albeit in limited research - though Wheeler also has him ranked 11th on his list.

Not sure if Wheeler's list is posted:

Tier 1

1. Celebrini

Tier 2

2. Demidov
3. Levshunov

Tier 3

4. Buium
5. Parekh
6. Eiserman
7. Dickinson
8. Catton
9. Helenius
10. Silayev
11. Lindstrom

Tier 4

12. Iginla
13. Yakemchuk
14. Brandsegg-Nygard
15. Hage
16. Sennecke
17. Connelly

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

If Helenius, Buium and Dickinson are all gone with the Devils drafting at #10, I truly feel there will be a strong chance that Fitzgerald and the NJ brass would strongly consider Brandsegg-Nygard at #10 overall.

Fitzgerald has already shown he doesn't much care about the consensus rankings (see: Mukhamadullin, Nemec). He's willing to identify the guy he wants and take him.

The big argument here is actually downright silly -- "the Devils would take Catton over Brandsegg-Nygard because they need a center". I mean, if two regular joes like myself and @Guadana can see with relative ease that Brandsegg-Nygard is more likely to play center in the NHL than Catton, I'm sure it's also come up in the Devils' scouting meetings. Just because Catton is listed in mock drafts at C and Brandsegg-Nygard at RW doesn't exactly set things in stone.

So the answer to your question is that -- in your scenario -- I would hope the Devils would draft Brandsegg-Nygard at #10, and it would also feel to me as absolutely a real possibility.

My #2 choice in this scenario still would not be Iginla or Catton or Eiserman -- it would be either Chernyshov or Hage. It might sound weird to some people, but I have all 5 of these players ranked fairly similarly. Also, I truly feel the Devils need to start concentrating again on building team speed. Hage is easily the best skater of these 5, and Chernyshov is easily second. Although Eiserman clearly has the most offensive upside of the 5, he also has the weakest overall game. Although Catton has the second-most offensive upside, he is the smallest and probably at the bottom of the list if you're just ranking the skating skills.

I really really like Iginla so he would be tough to pass on for me. I'd also be happy if we drafted him. But for the Devils, I think Brandsegg-Nygard would be the best pick here. He's a power forward who is also a high-end skater, he has a bomb of a shot and an elite combo of hockey IQ/compete level, he is the best defensive winger in the entire draft and could project to center. It just makes sense.

As badly as the team needs centers I think strong defensive wingers with solid offensive production have been massively effective weapons in this league and wouldn’t mind adding a guy like that. I could see MBN anchoring the third line from the wing and adding a Henrique type veteran to play with him.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Quick search on Brandsegg, and I see modest production in a lower league from one of the older guys in the draft.

The physical tools are enticing, but sounds like his development will take time, with a decent risk of it not panning out.

His upside is way higher than a 3C, but he has the qualities to seamlessly fit that role. He’s such a good fit for the Devils current roster.
Ya, he could be a very good 3C which would be great for us.

A good thing about needing centers is, when you draft for need, it's typically BPA anyways.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

CLB has enough of defensmen, they need Lindstrom hard. They need second center and build better offense.
Overall its okay mock draft.

Another prospect ranking:

View attachment 867747

Silayev second is waaay too high. I understand potential but his game with the puck is limiting his potential on the both sides of the ice.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Helenius doesnt have some excellent skill outside IQ and quite small. But overall Its a good pick, seriously, he is very smart kid. Sliayev is more questionable, Iginla... some are fans, im not - lack of speed, positional vision, iq. Chernyshov is in 3-4 years away? We dont know. Nygard is great but im a fan and he is RW - should play center but only you guys khow it.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Quick search on Brandsegg, and I see modest production in a lower league from one of the older guys in the draft.

The physical tools are enticing, but sounds like his development will take time, with a decent risk of it not panning out.

Ya, he could be a very good 3C which would be great for us.

A good thing about needing centers is, when you draft for need, it's typically BPA anyways.

1/2 ppg in the Allsvenskan as an 18 year old?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad