Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Im not agree on his view on compete. He is talking about it but Im not see it in his final rankings.

1 production
2 size
3 skating

Tier 1: Celebrini
Celebrini
Productive, skilled, nice size, very good skater. High IQ.

Tier 2: Levshunov, Yakemchuk
Levshunov - very productive and very big, very good skater. His compete level is... he is active. IQ is very diggerent in different situations.

Yakemchuk - VERY VERY productive. And big. His compete level... not so great if we are polite. Bad positionally. His IQ... again - different situation. But he isnt your smartest guy to draft at all.

Tier 3: Buium, Silayev, Catton

Buium - very very productive, Okay size but bulky, compete level is average. Very high iq.

Silayev - great size and great skating. He is.. productive for 17 yo in KHL, but he is not in reality. His stick work with the puck is veeery meh. He is good positionally, but overall his decision making with the puck even on MHL level is average.

Catton - great production, skating is average\above average, compete level... lets say average. Or even below average. Great offensive IQ.

Tier 4: Parekh, Demidov, Dickinson, Helenius

Parekh is very productive, average skating, below average physics.
Demidov is very productive, average below average size, skating above average. But he is freaking genius in different situations, very creative.
Dickinson is huge, good skater, good production.
Helenius is average but fast skater, productive but not so really really high. And he is small.

So for me its looks like those 1-2-3 punch for him.

Overall its better to read and listen guys like him because he is watching a lot. Every scout has their own preferences.

Its not written in his work as much as he bring it up during various Podcast he frequents (The Athletic Hockey Show is his primary)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Im not agree on his view on compete. He is talking about it but Im not see it in his final rankings.

1 production
2 size
3 skating

Tier 1: Celebrini
Celebrini
Productive, skilled, nice size, very good skater. High IQ.

Tier 2: Levshunov, Yakemchuk
Levshunov - very productive and very big, very good skater. His compete level is... he is active. IQ is very diggerent in different situations.

Yakemchuk - VERY VERY productive. And big. His compete level... not so great if we are polite. Bad positionally. His IQ... again - different situation. But he isnt your smartest guy to draft at all.

Tier 3: Buium, Silayev, Catton

Buium - very very productive, Okay size but bulky, compete level is average. Very high iq.

Silayev - great size and great skating. He is.. productive for 17 yo in KHL, but he is not in reality. His stick work with the puck is veeery meh. He is good positionally, but overall his decision making with the puck even on MHL level is average.

Catton - great production, skating is average\above average, compete level... lets say average. Or even below average. Great offensive IQ.

Tier 4: Parekh, Demidov, Dickinson, Helenius

Parekh is very productive, average skating, below average physics.
Demidov is very productive, average below average size, skating above average. But he is freaking genius in different situations, very creative.
Dickinson is huge, good skater, good production.
Helenius is average but fast skater, productive but not so really really high. And he is small.

So for me its looks like those 1-2-3 punch for him.

Overall its better to read and listen guys like him because he is watching a lot. Every scout has their own preferences.
I like Dickinson, he's got size, he's physical, and he's not a grenade handler with the puck at all.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Edit
Just saw someone else has posted it directly from the athletic. My bad

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I like Dickinson, he's got size, he's physical, and he's not a grenade handler with the puck at all.
I like him too. Plays like solid all around defenseman for both sides of the ice. Good skating, good gap control, good with the puck, physical and big. I like him more than Silayev. But I dont think we have real chance to draft him. May be he isnt top-2 defenseman but looks like being top-4 defenseman for him is a real opportunity and career path. I would love Dickinson-Nemec pair.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
So bummed that Seattle basically turded out the year with what, 5-6 losses in a row? Couldn't catch us. Calgary was more of a stretch but I really wanted to be 8 or 9 more than 10. I suspect the "good" picks will be gone by 10 and certainly nobody able to step in any time soon will be there.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So bummed that Seattle basically turded out the year with what, 5-6 losses in a row? Couldn't catch us. Calgary was more of a stretch but I really wanted to be 8 or 9 more than 10. I suspect the "good" picks will be gone by 10 and certainly nobody able to step in any time soon will be there.
There were at least one obvious drop in 2015 from top 10 - Barzal.
Two solid drops from top-10 in 2016 - McAvoy and Chycrun.
There were no obvious drops in 2017 but still some very great prospects available in second ten.
Dobson dropped from top 10 in 2018.
Caufield dropped from top 10 in 2019.
2020 top 10 was consensus, but there were some very good players in second ten.
2021 was wilde and it would be better to have second round picks than first round picks)
In 2022 good players were dropped, available and drafted in second ten, 10 pick was good too.
2023 was loaded. its not fair

But still there are enough top-line talents to draft by ten pick. I would prefer 8-9 pick too. There are 12 good picks and 15 good picks if you dont have problems with weak defensive/positional game.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I still like the top dozen or so guys. Decent chance that Seattle is targeting a D since they've gone forward with their firsts so far (Beniers/Wright/Sale). If we're looking at a forward, we might get the same guy at 10 that we would have taken at 8.

• Love
Reactions: forceten

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
i wouldve loved to be up a few spots as well, and while i think this might take us out of the expected range for most of the top D options, i still think we have a great shot to land a high compete top 9 forechecker who will be ready to help the main roster sooner rather than later, which will be very appreciated. plus, i like to look on the bright side here. it would only have taken a few dumb wins against PHI and NYI to bump this pick back multiple spots, too

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Its the best part of Eiserman as a prospect. May be we should project him higher because of it.
)
A team taking a chance on Eiserman in the top 9 is a pretty great scenario for the Devils, as it could push a more desirable player down to NJ.

Similarly, we can't ignore the strong possibility that Calgary takes Tij Iginla at #8 or #9 where they will pick. The PR bonanza this would represent for the Flames cannot be understated, and Iginla is likely a pick who deserves to be taken in the 10-14 range, so it's not too much of a stretch.

We should also root for Catton to be taken early. He's a heck of a player, but he doesn't fit the organizational needs and isn't markedly better than available players who would.

Similarly, the Devils don't need RD -- which is a need for almost every NHL organization -- so the higher Parekh and Yakemchuk go, the better it is for New Jersey.

Any of these aforementioned players going before the Devils pick (I think it's now set at #10 overall) is a huge boon to the Devils.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
A team taking a chance on Eiserman in the top 9 is a pretty great scenario for the Devils, as it could push a more desirable player down to NJ.

Similarly, we can't ignore the strong possibility that Calgary takes Tij Iginla at #8 or #9 where they will pick. The PR bonanza this would represent for the Flames cannot be understated, and Iginla is likely a pick who deserves to be taken in the 10-14 range, so it's not too much of a stretch.

I'm rooting for Sens to take Yakemchuk(less likely but Parekh). They had huge need in RD.

And I'm rooting for Calgary to rake Iginla. They can sell rebuild around him. And they need some sort of rebuild. I like Honzek but they will not draft their 1C on this draft more likely.

We should also root for Catton to be taken early. He's a heck of a player, but he doesn't fit the organizational needs and isn't markedly better than available players who would.

Overall Catton is a good player, but im not a fan. Perimeter playmaker who doesn't grind the puck from the board, who is making a lot of puckhandling that will never translate to NHL. I still think he has real potential of player who is producing a lot, we just don't have spots for him. And some players who will be available can add something more with having ability to produce too.

Similarly, the Devils don't need RD -- which is a need for almost every NHL organization -- so the higher Parekh and Yakemchuk go, the better it is for New Jersey.

Any of these aforementioned players going before the Devils pick (I think it's now set at #10 overall) is a huge boon to the Devils.

May be Seattle or Calgary will draft RD?
I would prefer Iginla to being drafted by Calgary, because I think Fitz can draft him, I will be quite good with this pick, but would prefer top 3 LD or Nygard, Chernyshov or Helenius.

So for drafting top 3 LD we just need 2 teams to draft some RD or Iginla. I have a feeling Eiserman will drop. Players like him dropped before it was a consensus, now Eiserman is calling as potential non-top-10 pick from every corner.

Overall I have a feeling we need to focus on Helenius. Its just a feeling but he looks like what Fitz could draft because of obvious need. I still like Nygard as potential center little more. He is doing everything as a center outside regular faceoffs duties. I would say Nygard has potential to be some kind of what Kopitar was for Slovenia. Very small chances but still. I don't think Fitz will decide to play with this and will draft Helenius. And I m good with this pick because Helenius is smart player.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
2010: One of the great tragedies of the decline of the Internet is losing all the websites/blogs written by humans from 90s-10s.

But thanks to the magic of the Wayback Machine the epic Blueshirt Banter’s comment thread from 2010 Draft is available! link

You can see Rags fans definitely wanted Fowler when he fell, though they also wanted Gormley, and they also definitely didn’t want Tarasenko.

Trading down for Etem was another idea here, ironically Anaheim would get both Fowler and Etem.
Looking at this pick (and the fan reaction) is such a good case study in why the draft is so hard. Fowler, Gormley, Etem, or Tarasenko are the choices? Now, that's not even a debate. Back then, total "Price Is Right" door game, with 50% of the choices being busts.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021

IMO - RD scarcity league wide means they should always be on the table. I don’t think Parekh would be a pick for us, but the other top RD (Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Elick, and Jiricek) all would fit the mold of what we are looking for in defenders. Our pick is a bit early for the last two, though I’m higher on Elick right now than the consensus.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
There's always a couple of teams that go off the board a bit between 6-12.

I'm mostly hoping that it's not us, and that it allows us to get a guy that drops a couple spots instead of taking Iginla/Eiserman etc.

The other thing I've been thinking is that Yakemchuk is gonna go HIGH. I saw pronman's ranking and immediately was like "no way" but the more I thought about it, the more I was like "yeah this is exactly the type of dude an NHL GM talks themselves into."

Last edited:

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

I'm mostly hoping that it's not us, and that it allows us to get a guy that drops a couple spots instead of taking Iginla/Eiserman etc.

The other thing I've been thinking is that Yakemchuk is gonna go HIGH. I saw pronman's ranking and immediately was like "no way" but the more I thought about it, the more I was like "yeah this is exactly the type of dude an NHL talks themselves into."
yakemchuk is a pretty awesome prospect. i havent pushed him much on here because i dont think he makes a ton of sense for us, but i do genuinely believe he should go before our pick. he certainly carries risk (and i dont mean to imply ive loved every viewing ive had of him either) but i dont think hes so significantly more flawed than the other top D in this class. plus, i know conventionally a lot of people like to refer to 6'6" or 6'7" players who can skate as unicorns, but we have multiple of those in every draft nowadays. to me, a defender who combines his level of handling/shooting/breakout passing with just the meanest, most physically punishing approach to the game is much rarer. not too often you see a player who can bully someone as imposing as lindstrom and then go dangle two defenders for a goal lol

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
IMO - RD scarcity league wide means they should always be on the table. I don’t think Parekh would be a pick for us, but the other top RD (Levshunov, Yakemchuk, Elick, and Jiricek) all would fit the mold of what we are looking for in defenders. Our pick is a bit early for the last two, though I’m higher on Elick right now than the consensus.

I’m not really into Yakemchuk, who’s an offensive defenseman/shooter.

I guess he would be a Hamilton replacement because he wouldn’t have a place in a line-up with Dougie and Luke.

He’s got size and production but I’m not much interested in Yakemchuk. He’s not like Mintyukov, who was a transition wizard, and more well rounded. And a delight lol, I loved Minty as a prospect.

I’d take Parekh over Yakemchuk.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I guess he would be a Hamilton replacement because he wouldn’t have a place in a line-up with Dougie and Luke.

He’s got size and production but I’m not much interested in Yakemchuk. He’s not like Mintyukov, who was a transition wizard, and more well rounded. And a delight lol, I loved Minty as a prospect.

Please, lets stay away from Parekh. Im not telling he is bad prospects, he is just not what we need at all. And he has some scary flaws.

Not like both but I would live with Yakemchuk. Two years away at least and Dougie will be ready to be traded. In his three season he spent a lot on the hospital bad.
So Im not all in to draft RD, I would prefer to draft LD or player with center potential, but RD is always an option. You can only draft good RD or pay tonns for him.

As @evnted said, I think he will be drafted before us by Ottawa or Seattle. Or even by Ducks - who knows.
Parekh is tricky and he is the type of productive top-20 defensive prospect who has problems with adapting his game to NHL level.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021

1) Yes, I see him as a replacement for Hamilton - my comparison was Evan Bouchard. I think the physical tools are better than Jiriceck.

2) I don't need everyone on the Devils defense to be a transition wizard, as long as they have a strong recovery and exit game. The Devils really struggled this year because our defense couldn't skate or pass out of our zone, only Marino was good at both (Hughes was good skating obviously). Yakemchuck as a weak side shooter entering the zone late on the right side has really high upside considering how many LH entry beasts we have. Other than a handful of players (we happen to have one) the goal for the D is to get the puck out of their zone and into a forwards possession.

I also think his defense is a bit underrated, he plays more physical than he gets credit for and I think that will translate better to the NHL than it does in JR. Time will tell of course, that's just my perspective.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

The other thing I've been thinking is that Yakemchuk is gonna go HIGH. I saw pronman's ranking and immediately was like "no way" but the more I thought about it, the more I was like "yeah this is exactly the type of dude an NHL GM talks themselves into."
I highly doubt Fitz will allow the scouts to push for Eiserman at 10. The org already hates Holtz. They're realllly gonna hate Eiserman. I'm very certain though at least one of the players I'm quite fond of will be available at 10.

I think Yakemchuk will go higher (because BIG and RD and RIPS IT), and I am very happy with that. He's a guy I would stay away from in the top-10. When a defenseman's best attribute is shot, but has issues with IQ/vision and skating...those are big red flags.

Other than that, I think this year's top 10-12 is quite strong, with a sharp fall-off after that. The Devils will still get a very good prospect. For forwards, one of Catton, Helenius, or Lindstrom will be available and I'd be ecstatic with any.

There is an outside shot that a defender like Dickinson or Silayev drops, and that kind of player is a real organizational need as well.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad