Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We're currently slotted 10th before lotteries. Seattle has 3 games left and are at 79 points, 2 behind us. Calgary also has 3 games left and are at 77 points, 4 behind us. It's possible we end up 8th.

I think it's critical we lose this last game though, we're only a point behind Buffalo. I hate saying that, but at this point, it's the head not the heart.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think it's critical we lose this last game though, we're only a point behind Buffalo. I hate saying that, but at this point, it's the head not the heart.
The Devils need to win the last game so that the fan base gets angry at winning the meaningless game. This eventually leads to a lottery win with the lottery ball they got due to the meaningless win.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I’m curious who you guys feel are the NHL comps for the top 15 or so prospects (if they hit ceiling and floor, respectively).

Reactions: Guadana

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
We're currently slotted 10th before lotteries. Seattle has 3 games left and are at 79 points, 2 behind us. Calgary also has 3 games left and are at 77 points, 4 behind us. It's possible we end up 8th.

If we lose to the Islanders, we have a very realistic chance at picking 9OA. We would have one less point than Buffalo. I can see either Seattle or Calgary finishing with 82 points. It’s hard for me to imagine them both doing it.

Seattle remaining schedule: at St Louis, at Winnipeg, at Minnesota

Calgary remaining schedule: Arizona, at Vancouver, San Jose

Buffalo remaining schedule: at Tampa Bay

If we beat the Islanders, there’s a high likelihood we pick 11OA.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I was rooting for a loss last night when we had the goalie pulled. That was one of the first times I’ve ever vocally rooted for the Flyers. I was screaming for them to hit the empty net. That’s what my post in the GDT about not wanting to tell you what I was screaming during that sequence lol.

I lost my passion to yell that out loud with our team about two months ago.

It wasn’t really for draft purposes as much as it’s about making sure every last nail gets put in Travis Green’s coffin. And ensuring he doesn’t return in any kind of capacity like when Nas did.

My early prediction for the record under Green was 7-13-1. We’ve already surpassed that by one win (we shouldn’t have won that game against Toronto lol) and if we couldn’t beat plummeted Philly I don’t think we’re beating the Islanders, unless it’s another fluke like the Toronto game the other night.

If we do beat the Islanders we will have swept them this season lol.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
I’m curious who you guys feel are the NHL comps for the top 15 or so prospects (if they hit ceiling and floor, respectively).
ill take a crack at it. i dont typically like upside vs downside comparisons, i usually just try to focus on play style and add in additional descriptors where necessary

Buium~vince dunn if he wasnt a baby
Catton~somewhere between giroux and stutzle
Celebrini~more consistent zibanejad
Chernyshov~jt miller
Dickinson~somewhere between pietrangelo and sanderson
Helenius~chippier nick suzuki
Iginla~hagel
Jiricek~larsson
Levshunov~buff version of werenski
Lindstrom~super charged josh anderson
MBN~higher end jt compher
Yakemchuk~if brent burns thought he was corey perry

obv missing some key names, i just dont think i have a solid enough comparable for them right now

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
ill take a crack at it. i dont typically like upside vs downside comparisons, i usually just try to focus on play style and add in additional descriptors where necessary

Chernyshov~jt miller
Iginla~hagel
Jiricek~larsson

obv missing some key names, i just dont think i have a solid enough comparable for them right now

If Helenius is like Nick Suzuki but with more grit, sign me up. I still prefer MBN and Iginla but the disparity between them and Helenius may not be as great as I had thought.

I was rooting for a loss last night when we had the goalie pulled. That was one of the first times I’ve ever vocally rooted for the Flyers. I was screaming for them to hit the empty net. That’s what my post in the GDT about not wanting to tell you what I was screaming during that sequence lol.

I lost my passion to yell that out loud with our team about two months ago.

It wasn’t really for draft purposes as much as it’s about making sure every last nail gets put in Travis Green’s coffin. And ensuring he doesn’t return in any kind of capacity like when Nas did.

My early prediction for the record under Green was 7-13-1. We’ve already surpassed that by one win (we shouldn’t have won that game against Toronto lol) and if we couldn’t beat plummeted Philly I don’t think we’re beating the Islanders, unless it’s another fluke like the Toronto game the other night.

If we do beat the Islanders we will have swept them this season lol.

Maybe it’s blasphemy and I should be ashamed to admit but I did, as well. For the greater good….

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If Helenius is like Nick Suzuki but with more grit, sign me up. I still prefer MBN and Iginla but the disparity between them and Helenius may not be as great as I had thought.
Nygard is better passer, shooter, faster on the start, better physical player, better skater.
But Helenius isnt far away from and he is better playmaker, more creative player.

Iginla... he is fun in offensive zone. More creative and accurate with the puck. Not so smart and not so good defensively as Nygard and Helenius.
Nygard is very light Peter Forsberg without playmaking.(its a joke and overcomparing ofcourse)
Yeah. Some kind of Blake Coleman as we are talking about floor. Imagine something between.

Helenius is Nick Suzuki. I like mobility of Helenius more and skills of Suzuki more.

Chernyshov is more offensive oriented and more skilled Nichushkin.

Iginla is some kind of Hagel, good comparison.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

Chernyshov~jt miller
Iginla~hagel
Jiricek~larsson

if this was accurate i want dickinson

Reactions: evnted

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023

Chernyshov~jt miller
Iginla~hagel
Jiricek~larsson

from your lips to Gods ears.. hopefully we havent won too mny games to grab the cream of the crop. 10th would be sweet 7th or 8th would have been fantastic

Reactions: evnted

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
@Guadana
@evnted

I’d like to formally thank you guys for your awesome insights and analysis of all these prospects. It’s clear you watch these kids way more than most of us; your thoughts are very much appreciated for us folks trying to educate ourselves on the prospects.
much appreciated. so much awesome draft coverage on this board, i def push myself to try to meet the precedent thats been set by all the other great amateur scouts
if this was accurate i want dickinson
a lofty outcome for sure, but i do believe he has it in him to reach that level one day. much has been said about his strengths (shutdown ability, N-S mobility, confidence on the puck, edge/bite, etc.) but i think what is tipping him over as my favorite D in this class is that the downsides dont concern me as much as the others

he isnt some cerebral thinker of the game, thats for sure, but i think some outlets have been too critical of his forced/misguided breakout passes when i think its more of a london system issue than a player issue (i.e. this was a thing w bonk last year). their schemes are weird and from what i can tell theyre coached to take chances

i also think the fact that he likely doesnt project as a PP1 option has people too down on his long term ability to contribute offensively. his offensive zone off puck movement gives opposing defenders plenty of difficulty with just how much ice he can cover and how easily he can sneak into lanes, his shot is a clear weapon from the point and hes more than capable of getting the puck off quickly, and we have to keep in mind that in contrast to the likes of levshunov, buium, yakemchuk, parekh, etc., dickinson is not london's go-to option on the blue line, thats bonk. hes not being given the same opportunities/deployment as the others. it would be silly to read too heavily into an 8gp sample size, but its also not by accident that perhaps dickinsons best offensive outburst this year occurred when bonk was away at the wjc
from your lips to Gods ears.. hopefully we havent won too mny games to grab the cream of the crop. 10th would be sweet 7th or 8th would have been fantastic
lots of projects this year. i think many of those kids will really need some solid organizational support to reach the level i want to believe they can (more than normal this year imo) but the lotto range of this class certainly has some serious upside if things break right. hopefully we can hold a solid position. need to take care of business tomorrow and solidify our spot below buffalo. i doubt calgary pulls through for us, but maybe seattle has it in them

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I always think this is interesting from a “wisdom of the crowds” perspective.

First of all - mentioning this citizen is obscene in polite society.

Buium, Nygard, and Chemyshov seem possible...
Now I dont think Buium will be available. And I think from the Fitz history perspective he will draft Helenius. I dont think its bad, I still prefer Nygar or Chernyshov but I like Helenius more than Eiserman, Connely, Yakemchuk, Parekh etc.

_____

But until the draft will goes, I will continue to force my ideas. I still like Nygard and Chernyshov as perfect players to draft by 10-11 pick.

So there is some videos with Nygard from april play off games. How he is playing center role in play off.

Nygard is #28

1-25. zone entry, playmaking, driving the net

______

0-26 face off

______

0-08 - screen, high slot playing

______

1-10 He isnt the player on the faceoff, but he is going right into the high slot zone to make a screen or making a shot

_______

1-05 Nygard is playing high slot, his partners are on the wings

______

0-40 driving the zone

______

1-20 high slot

______

1-00
he is starting in high slot

2-33 face off

_______

You can watch this highlights because there more of his goals and plays there.

Its only moments from highlights from one month. Small sample size but he won 9 faceoffs from 15 attempts. And from games I saw he is playing center role - his line is making the plays through him, he is driving the net, he is the first on the offensive forecheck etc.

He has 4 out of 10 faceoffs in the season, 9 out of 15 in the playoffs. Corsi and fenwick metrics are 54-58%.

From my perspective he has huge chance to be NHL center, even of he will play from the wing, he will play center role duties on the ice. And from his physical aspects of the game and how he strong on his legs and from his "stick handling" he should be competent on the dot.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don’t even want to get attached to any prospect because it feels extremely likely that we’re trading the pick
I don’t know if I’d say extremely likely since teams usually offer Josh Anderson. NJ would want someone closer to a Mercer I’d guess and that won’t be available

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Top 10/11 pick this year is a very good pick if Fitz is reasonable. And I hope he is smart enough to save this pick.

I think if he wants to trade he has nice asset in Holtz. Top-11 pick is way to much for 1 year of future UFA goalie. If he will trade it for Markstrom he will be complete moron and he wasnt moron before. His trade politics was quite accurate or conservative.
Its really hard to even imagine who is our target and who will be available. But like I said - Fitz drafted for needs mostly, so I think he will take Helenius.

Last edited:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I don’t know if I’d say extremely likely since teams usually offer Josh Anderson. NJ would want someone closer to a Mercer I’d guess and that won’t be available
These are the last few guys who were traded for a top10-ish pick around the draft. I might have missed some details.

2023:
#12 (Daniil But) + (2nd, 2024) + (2nd, 2026) <-> Jakob Chychrun
#17 (Axel Sandin Pellikka) + #47 (Brady Cleveland)* <-> Filip Hronek + #105 (Ty Mueller) * traded down

2022:
#7 (Kevin Korchinski) + #39 (Paul Ludwinski) + (3rd, 2024) - Alex DeBrincat
#13 (Frank Nazar) <-> Kirby Dach / Alexander Romanov (there was other draft picks too)
#19 (Liam Ohgren) + Brock Faber <-> Kevin Fiala

2021:

#9 (Dylan Guenther) + cap dumps <-> Conor Garland + Oliver Ekman-Larsson
#12 (Cole Sillinger) + #7 (2022, David Jiricek) + Adam Boqvist <-> Seth Jones + #32 Nolan Allan + #173 (2022, Dominic James)
#14 (Isak Rosen) + #39 (2023, Anton Wahlberg) + Robert Hägg <-> Rasmus Ristolainen

A lot of bad trades, especially in 2021. Hronek is a good player for the Canucks if they can re-sign him. The Fiala trade is okay-ish though I prefer Faber and Ohgren. Chychrun is almost gone and DeBrincat has already been traded to the Red Wings.

So yeah, the Devils should keep their 1st.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
These are the last few guys who were traded for a top10-ish pick around the draft. I might have missed some details.

2023:
#12 (Daniil But) + (2nd, 2024) + (2nd, 2026) <-> Jakob Chychrun
#17 (Axel Sandin Pellikka) + #47 (Brady Cleveland)* <-> Filip Hronek + #105 (Ty Mueller) * traded down

2022:
#7 (Kevin Korchinski) + #39 (Paul Ludwinski) + (3rd, 2024) - Alex DeBrincat
#13 (Frank Nazar) <-> Kirby Dach / Alexander Romanov (there was other draft picks too)
#19 (Liam Ohgren) + Brock Faber <-> Kevin Fiala

2021:

#9 (Dylan Guenther) + cap dumps <-> Conor Garland + Oliver Ekman-Larsson
#12 (Cole Sillinger) + #7 (2022, David Jiricek) + Adam Boqvist <-> Seth Jones + #32 Nolan Allan + #173 (2022, Dominic James)
#14 (Isak Rosen) + #39 (2023, Anton Wahlberg) + Robert Hägg <-> Rasmus Ristolainen

A lot of bad trades, especially in 2021. Hronek is a good player for the Canucks if they can re-sign him. The Fiala trade is okay-ish though I prefer Faber and Ohgren. Chychrun is almost gone and DeBrincat has already been traded to the Red Wings.

So yeah, the Devils should keep their 1st.
A LOT of bad trades. They are really bad. Hope Fitz isnt in the panic mode to make bad decision with this pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad