Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
IMG_5824.jpeg

And his hair. Its bad.

IMG_5823.jpeg

Bah Gawd, that’s my music and that hair is terrible.

mora is about to begin their semifinal matchup against djurgarden if anyone wants to catch him in action this week. unfortunately havent had much of a chance yet myself, though it seems like he had some good moments against aik. highlight would have to be his double overtime goal (granted it was off a defender)

i think hes been out with an illness the last few games but djurgarden has an interesting mid round target worth watching as well, linus eriksson. smart, adaptable center with great speed/pace. good decisions on the puck and adept defensive awareness/positioning for his age. lacks some offensive upside as hes a pretty simple N-S puck carrier who defers to linemates to really generate chances, but hes at least willing to drive middle ice

and i see your mbn hair and raise you artamonov's hair lol
IMG_5825.jpeg

Ok this draft is weak, just look at this hair. Jesus wept.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
mora is about to begin their semifinal matchup against djurgarden if anyone wants to catch him in action this week. unfortunately havent had much of a chance yet myself, though it seems like he had some good moments against aik. highlight would have to be his double overtime goal (granted it was off a defender)

i think hes been out with an illness the last few games but djurgarden has an interesting mid round target worth watching as well, linus eriksson. smart, adaptable center with great speed/pace. good decisions on the puck and adept defensive awareness/positioning for his age. lacks some offensive upside as hes a pretty simple N-S puck carrier who defers to linemates to really generate chances, but hes at least willing to drive middle ice

and i see your mbn hair and raise you artamonov's hair lol
41257.jpeg
I saw a couple of moments of Ericsson, but need to watch his games closely. And of course needs more game.

You should see Artamonov has more potential with his hair, but for this photo hair styling is way below average. He should develop it, may be its a lack of styling iq.

• Haha
Reactions: evnted

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
View attachment 844329

Bah Gawd, that’s my music and that hair is terrible.

Ok this draft is weak, just look at this hair. Jesus wept.
With Nygard we have Chernyshov in my top 10.

igor-chernyshov-2024-5022.jpg

And look at his hair. May be its a reason why he should be #9. Not the most attractive face(average) but hair styling is above average. I would say its great. (I have the same haircut).
So not the bad draft overall. Just a couple of prospects (Nygard, Artamonov) with the same red flag.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
With Nygard we have Chernyshov in my top 10.

View attachment 844345

And look at his hair. May be its a reason why he should be #9. Not the most attractive face(average) but hair styling is above average. I would say its great. (I have the same haircut).
So not the bad draft overall. Just a couple of prospects (Nygard, Artamonov) with the same red flag.

Hair’s not thick enough. I have standards sir.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
We need to spot down to top-10 and win the lottery. He would not sleep through top-5 and there is not a big chance he will sleep through top-3. He is too good and too athletic.

Top 5 lock, could be #2 unless the medicals are concerning.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m basing my opinion entirely on height/weight and position and literally nothing else: Cayden Lindstrom please
We've moved on from that and the primary measurable now used for drafting is hair thickness. I'm not sure if lustre and body have been quantified but they cannot be too far behind.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Top 5 lock, could be #2 unless the medicals are concerning.
Medicals and I think there is a big chance that Ducks will prefer to draft defenseman. May be some other teams too, but only Ducks looks like a team that could draft defenseman over Lindstrom easily and dont look like idiots.

We've moved on from that and the primary measurable now used for drafting is hair thickness. I'm not sure if lustre and body have been quantified but they cannot be too far behind.
BHA.

Reactions: Smitty426

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
It’s Iginla or Brandsegg-Nygard for me. Who would you guys pick between the two? I think both of these players likely go in that 10-15 range.

Catton seems like he’d be ideal but it doesn’t sound as if he will fall past 8.

Helenius fits our organizational need at center but I’ve heard so many mixed opinions on him….someone state a case for the kid!

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It’s Iginla or Brandsegg-Nygard for me. Who would you guys pick between the two? I think both of these players likely go in that 10-15 range.

Helenius fits our organizational need at center but I’ve heard so many mixed opinions on him….someone state a case for the kid!
He's got an absolutely incredible hockey name, would love to take him for that reason alone! Wheeler praises his effort level on the forecheck and in the defensive zone, and all I want out of this draft are some future middle-ers who could probably be top-6ers on most teams but will have to settle for 3rd and 4th line roles on the Devils because of how good we are.

Reactions: longislanddevil

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

i like tij more but i agree he and mbn would both be solid picks for this roster. in the briefest way possible, i think he has a more versatile skillset and much better on-puck awareness while still largely offering the same forechecking intensity and shot generation that mbn would provide. basically, i trust him more to hit higher in the lineup even if the certainty of his projection isnt as clear as mbn, who is likely a slam dunk roster player to some degree. i can elaborate a bit more

mbn basically has no downside as a pick, i recognize that. an extremely committed defensive winger with a high compete level and heavy shot almost assuredly turns into something. hes great along the boards, hes great in the corners, and hes great at causing havoc around the crease, all while offering legitimate goal scoring upside. there is no issue with adding this player to the roster. my preference for iginla is from the standpoint of pursuing greater upside without, in my opinion, compromising much of what mbn would offer

tij is nowhere near as effective defensively, thats one major tradeoff. but i think hes significantly better with the puck on his stick and at generating his own chances. tij's handling in general, but particularly in small area play, is a huge step up from mbn. hes elite at cut backs and attacking space. he protects the puck with ease, using both his body and stickhandling, and he has a great ability to maintain possession through traffic. he methodically outworks defenders until he identifes a lane to drive and attack the net. his shot might lack the top end heaviness that mbn has but hes constantly shooting from high danger locations and i find his release much more difficult to read. he seemingly always has a survey of the ice and while at this point i think he might overshoot at times, hes shown enough moments of high level playmaking vision that i dont have much doubt he'll be able to facilitate play for his linemates, particularly tight to the boards. in contrast, i think mbn leans more triggerman with a baseline game thats more focused on overpowering the opposition rather than outsmarting and outworking them to pry open opportunities. while i think he has a good read for where his linemates usually are, and to his credit i like his ability to hit teammates in transition, i do occasionally find him getting caught by backcheckers with the puck on his stick, leading to unforced turnovers. hes almost better the less he has the puck on his stick, which is a near polar opposite of iginla

switching gears, i know helenius might not be everyones favorite player here, but i do like him for our pick and would be very happy with the selection. konsta is a cerebral, high compete center who excels as the primary play driver on a line. hes extremely composed on the puck and showcases elite vision and awareness, constantly finding soft spots to attack. his playmaking upside is quite high, not for having laser passing ability or anything, but for his fantastic reads and decision making on the puck to set teammates up for dangerous scoring chances. his anticipation is great and youll seldom see one of his pass attempts get picked. i also argue he has respectable scoring upside as well. im not talking huge totals, but his adept positioning, quick release, and knack for finding soft spots makes me believe his goal scoring ability is better than hes typically given credit for. i dont think he shoots enough at this point either, which might also mask his upside to some degree

off-puck i find him to be just as effective of a player. his anticipation and reads are on full display here as well, and youll frequently see him intercept pucks and quickly get play started the other way. he has a great understanding of where to park himself in his own zone, and uses adept defensive stick positioning to take away lanes. hes very good at sticking to his man and playing a highly competitive stickchecking game to disrupt possession. he also thrives along the boards, which you wouldnt expect for a player of his size. helenius understands his frame limitations and in turn leverages them to become a strength with how he undercuts defenders and pushes his body up into players to shield them from the puck. he has an insanely high motor in puck battles which he combines with well timed stickchecks and great spatial awareness to commonly come away with possession. not only is he feisty at times, but as i just witnessed in his liiga playoff run (which unfortunately came to a close), hes actually surprisingly physical and a bit of a pest. he played a heavy checking game against opponents much larger than him, and he deliberately did little things like extra jabs after the whistle and putting the puck in the net after play ended to get under the oppositions skin

i understand helenius has a bit of a projection concern given that he lacks true ++ tools beyond his vision/awareness/compete, but i struggle to really worry about him considering how easily scalable his game is. in fact, i think he'll only get better on smaller ice where he'll have the ability to play a tighter checking game and really use his anticipation to his advantage since defenders wont have as much leeway with less available ice. on top of all of this, you factor in how unbelievably barren our prospect pool is when it comes to centers, and i think you arrive at a pretty compelling case to draft the player. someone will need to play up the lineup when jack and/or nico go down, and i have little concern that helenius wont be able to do so. i should note, many people like to project him as a RW and not only do i not see that being the case for a high IQ, high compete, puck dominant play driver who holds up in the physical game, im also left to wonder where its even coming from considering i dont think ive seen him play 1 second of wing in my viewings. one final point, FIN is looking to potentially add him to their world championship camp roster (as opposed to the U18s) in the coming weeks. even if he doesnt make the cut, i still think thats a great vote of confidence in the player

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
How real are the rumors on Trevor Connely. Can Fitz even consider based on MM and CAF debacle thats occurred?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Comparing Wahlstrom and Kaliyev to Eiserman is like comparing Tedenby to Jesper Bratt. They may have some similarities to their playing style, but the talent level and ability are not remotely comparable.

Wahlstrom and Kaliyev never produced or had the ability to produce like Eiserman.
I agree Eiserman has a greater ceiling than Kaliyev, but Kaliyev put up a 50-goal, 100-point season in his draft eligible season. 51 goals in 67 OHL games is not so far off from Eiserman's 48 goals in 47 US-NTDP games. Not trying to nitpick your point, which I agree with, but I was just saying they are similar type "high-upside, need a ton of work on 200-foot game" big-scoring prospects.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
How real are the rumors on Trevor Connely. Can Fitz even consider based on MM and CAF debacle thats occurred?
if i understand the accusations correctly and i'm fitz, i definitely take him if he's available. he would be deadly on nico or jack's wing eventually.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

three games with Nygard game. And his shift by shift video.

I have my own different opinions about him. Different from the start, different from how it translate through the games, how it feels now.

After my Great top-8 Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom and Dickinson, Buium, Ctton, Levshunov, Silayev
he is in my next tier of two players in top-10. Him and Chernyshov.
Brandsegg-Nygard is very good and smart two way player. I would say he is positional player. He knows where he should be on the both ends of the ice with and without the puck, he is scanning the ice, watching where his partners are. And even if he doesnt do something shiny, doesnt hold the puck for a long time - its just he doesnt need to do that. He sees the open partner, he sees the open space, he will make a play and the play will be right. He is physical enough, strong enough and he is doing his physical things not in the poppy way - he is very pragmatic and protect the puck before the puck battle even starts. He has good shot and with his positional game he will produce on NHL level. Skating, speed, compete level, iq, two way game, everything you are asking for.
He looks like a perfect player to play with your top line center. May be he isnt pure line driver, but his two way impact and decision making are great. I can imagine he is very good third liner with 17 goals and 40 points and in the next year he is perfect first liner with 25 goals 60 points who is making every shift clean and great. It would be awesome to see him with Nico on the ice.

The only problem with him is his position - he is right winger. I m all in to draft BPA, or pick the need between BPAs. But him and Chernyshov are RWs. And with Timo, Bratt, Mercer, Holtz and even Lenny we are stacked at this position.

View attachment 844257

And his hair. Its bad.

If the season ended today, the Devils would pick 11th. Without going too deeply into it, my biggest hope would be one of my top guys falls there -- particularly Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson or Silayev.

If the draft goes as expected, I would still be thrilled with Brantsegg-Nygard, whom I think is a great pick in the 11 OA range. Kid is a gamer. I also really like Michael Hage and Tij Iginla in that range. I like Helenius but I need to watch him more to see if he's a center, which would up his appeal for NJ, or a wing, which would lower it. Similarly, Chernyshov really intrigues me but has more appeal as a LW than a RW.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Eiserman hate is hilarious, especially from a fanbase that fawns over Alex Holtz, who is essentially Walmart Cole Eiserman.

Eiserman is a one trick pony, but he's really f***ing good at what he does and it's absolutely going to translate to the next level.

If he's sitting there around 10th overall when the Devils are picking, I'd be all over it. No shot I'm passing on the guy who's top 8 in USNTDP all-time points with Jack Hughes, Will Smith, Clayton Keller, Gabe Perrault, Phil Kessel, Cole Caufield, and Patrick Kane.
I don't hate Eiserman, I'm fascinated by his scoring upside. But there is a ton of risk in picking him, and that also needs to be stated and realized.

I've done pretty solidly projecting hockey players over 20+ years, and my not-so-secret secret is quite simply that I've valued the combination of hockey IQ/compete level to a far greater degree than some of my less-accurate fellow NHL draft/prospect evaluators. Where Eiserman gets impossible to project is that he has an elite IQ but a below-average compete level. At some point he'll need to realize his true potential lies in utilizing his line mates and exerting his immense scoring prowess within a team structure.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't hate Eiserman, I'm fascinated by his scoring upside. But there is a ton of risk in picking him, and that also needs to be stated and realized.

I've done pretty solidly projecting hockey players over 20+ years, and my not-so-secret secret is quite simply that I've valued the combination of hockey IQ/compete level to a far greater degree than some of my less-accurate fellow NHL draft/prospect evaluators. Where Eiserman gets impossible to project is that he has an elite IQ but a below-average compete level. At some point he'll need to realize his true potential lies in utilizing his line mates and exerting his immense scoring prowess within a team structure.
Who in your view competes, has at least a decent amount of skill and maybe a bit of pushback and is the best skater of those that fit that profile. That's who I'd like NJ to take. The league is getting faster and I'm not thrilled that Fitz seems to see skating as some sort of pass fail.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If the season ended today, the Devils would pick 11th. Without going too deeply into it, my biggest hope would be one of my top guys falls there -- particularly Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson or Silayev.

If the draft goes as expected, I would still be thrilled with Brantsegg-Nygard, whom I think is a great pick in the 11 OA range. Kid is a gamer. I also really like Michael Hage and Tij Iginla in that range. I like Helenius but I need to watch him more to see if he's a center, which would up his appeal for NJ, or a wing, which would lower it. Similarly, Chernyshov really intrigues me but has more appeal as a LW than a RW.
I believe Lindstrom, Buium, Dickinson or Silayev will not be available for 11th pick. I can imagine one could be available for 10th but for 11th I think its too late.

I like Chernyshov and Nygard much more than Connely and little more than Iginla. I have big questions about high iq level of Eiserman and compete level is a huge problem for me, most of players from recent drafts with big upside but bad compete level are not regulars in the league.

I will answer for @evnted but after the time. Its big for my limited time today) or I will do it now.
i like tij more but i agree he and mbn would both be solid picks for this roster. in the briefest way possible, i think he has a more versatile skillset and much better on-puck awareness while still largely offering the same forechecking intensity and shot generation that mbn would provide. basically, i trust him more to hit higher in the lineup even if the certainty of his projection isnt as clear as mbn, who is likely a slam dunk roster player to some degree. i can elaborate a bit more

mbn basically has no downside as a pick, i recognize that. an extremely committed defensive winger with a high compete level and heavy shot almost assuredly turns into something. hes great along the boards, hes great in the corners, and hes great at causing havoc around the crease, all while offering legitimate goal scoring upside. there is no issue with adding this player to the roster. my preference for iginla is from the standpoint of pursuing greater upside without, in my opinion, compromising much of what mbn would offer

tij is nowhere near as effective defensively, thats one major tradeoff. but i think hes significantly better with the puck on his stick and at generating his own chances. tij's handling in general, but particularly in small area play, is a huge step up from mbn. hes elite at cut backs and attacking space. he protects the puck with ease, using both his body and stickhandling, and he has a great ability to maintain possession through traffic. he methodically outworks defenders until he identifes a lane to drive and attack the net. his shot might lack the top end heaviness that mbn has but hes constantly shooting from high danger locations and i find his release much more difficult to read. he seemingly always has a survey of the ice and while at this point i think he might overshoot at times, hes shown enough moments of high level playmaking vision that i dont have much doubt he'll be able to facilitate play for his linemates, particularly tight to the boards. in contrast, i think mbn leans more triggerman with a baseline game thats more focused on overpowering the opposition rather than outsmarting and outworking them to pry open opportunities. while i think he has a good read for where his linemates usually are, and to his credit i like his ability to hit teammates in transition, i do occasionally find him getting caught by backcheckers with the puck on his stick, leading to unforced turnovers. hes almost better the less he has the puck on his stick, which is a near polar opposite of iginla

switching gears, i know helenius might not be everyones favorite player here, but i do like him for our pick and would be very happy with the selection. konsta is a cerebral, high compete center who excels as the primary play driver on a line. hes extremely composed on the puck and showcases elite vision and awareness, constantly finding soft spots to attack. his playmaking upside is quite high, not for having laser passing ability or anything, but for his fantastic reads and decision making on the puck to set teammates up for dangerous scoring chances. his anticipation is great and youll seldom see one of his pass attempts get picked. i also argue he has respectable scoring upside as well. im not talking huge totals, but his adept positioning, quick release, and knack for finding soft spots makes me believe his goal scoring ability is better than hes typically given credit for. i dont think he shoots enough at this point either, which might also mask his upside to some degree

off-puck i find him to be just as effective of a player. his anticipation and reads are on full display here as well, and youll frequently see him intercept pucks and quickly get play started the other way. he has a great understanding of where to park himself in his own zone, and uses adept defensive stick positioning to take away lanes. hes very good at sticking to his man and playing a highly competitive stickchecking game to disrupt possession. he also thrives along the boards, which you wouldnt expect for a player of his size. helenius understands his frame limitations and in turn leverages them to become a strength with how he undercuts defenders and pushes his body up into players to shield them from the puck. he has an insanely high motor in puck battles which he combines with well timed stickchecks and great spatial awareness to commonly come away with possession. not only is he feisty at times, but as i just witnessed in his liiga playoff run (which unfortunately came to a close), hes actually surprisingly physical and a bit of a pest. he played a heavy checking game against opponents much larger than him, and he deliberately did little things like extra jabs after the whistle and putting the puck in the net after play ended to get under the oppositions skin

i understand helenius has a bit of a projection concern given that he lacks true ++ tools beyond his vision/awareness/compete, but i struggle to really worry about him considering how easily scalable his game is. in fact, i think he'll only get better on smaller ice where he'll have the ability to play a tighter checking game and really use his anticipation to his advantage since defenders wont have as much leeway with less available ice. on top of all of this, you factor in how unbelievably barren our prospect pool is when it comes to centers, and i think you arrive at a pretty compelling case to draft the player. someone will need to play up the lineup when jack and/or nico go down, and i have little concern that helenius wont be able to do so. i should note, many people like to project him as a RW and not only do i not see that being the case for a high IQ, high compete, puck dominant play driver who holds up in the physical game, im also left to wonder where its even coming from considering i dont think ive seen him play 1 second of wing in my viewings. one final point, FIN is looking to potentially add him to their world championship camp roster (as opposed to the U18s) in the coming weeks. even if he doesnt make the cut, i still think thats a great vote of confidence in the player
If I could said it shortly - Iginla has less upside in defensive zone, a lot of things he is doing will not work in NHL, he isnt as smart, on the other hand a lot things Nygard is doing will work in NHL, because in NHl game is much faster, only special players can dangle opponents, Iginla isnt on the level. If you are mention about being caught - Iginla is playing in junior league, Nygard played on the much harder level, he is having everything to fix this moments.

I like Helenius more than Eiserman and Connely. I have a problem with him with his accuracy. And its very questionable how he will play on NHL level. If he is not than players like Nygard and Chernyshov or Iginla looks like a better wingers.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Who in your view competes, has at least a decent amount of skill and maybe a bit of pushback and is the best skater of those that fit that profile. That's who I'd like NJ to take. The league is getting faster and I'm not thrilled that Fitz seems to see skating as some sort of pass fail.
Nygard, Chernyshov, Iginla. One should be available(at least). All of them are skating fast enough, all of them are good shooters, all of them are physical, all of them are hard to play against.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad