2024 NHL Draft Thread

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
no pts last night for him but steady as a rock, B`s 2025 first rounder Reschny had 4 assists:), another draft eligible kid this year is Justin Kipkie, big RHD, 2 beauty goals last nigh
What's your thoughts on Richard Baran,Left D Victoria Grizzlies?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What's your thoughts on Richard Baran,Left D Victoria Grizzlies?
Hey Eric, like the kid a lot, needs to put some meat on his bones, he`s not super tall, if I were guessing, just over 6 feet, I have season tix to the Grizzlies which I bought after being super frustrated with our WHL rep Royals team who ironically this year are good and Baran`s last 5 home games compared to say the first 5-7 are world`s apart

Early on you could see the speed was a bit of adjustment and he was getting acclimated to NA which is totally normal , I think he`s Slovakian or Czech, sorry, I don`t have everything memorized.

Really nice stride, gets out of trouble in his own zone with his feet and once he got comfortable, his offensive contributions have come recently. Once he adds some beef he`ll be one to watch but he doesn`t get overmatched badly even being lighter , just some of the bigger kids are able to muscle him off a puck but his puck retrieval and first pass are quick

Like him a lot

another Grizzlies player is Tobias Pitka, huge kid, needs to add about 10lbs , mid to later round for me, bottom 6 guy but nothing but top notch effort shift in and out, from the same country as Baran I believe?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
So we have a 4th, a 5th, and a 6th?

I expect that 4th won't be there come draft time, lol

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
watched our old buddy`s kid play last night vs the Royals here, Tij Iginla, kid is all over the puck for Kelowna. Doesn`t play with the snarl of his old man but has a non-stop motor. He`s a LH C, I`m not nearly in the know as many here are in regards to where a kid could be had but have to think he`s a 1st rounder, not sure he`s a top 10 guy but mid to late 1st my guess?

Again, I only play a scout on HF, a kid I`ve liked for a while as I watched him in the BCHL and is now playing for the Rockets as well is Hiroki Gojsic, big RW, if guessing, 6`2/6`3 ish, uses his frame super well, not 1st round talent IMO but 3rd rounder maybe, has a great shot, only real knock I have with him is he`s too unselfish at times, he has a sublime shot, needs to use it more.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
also like this kid Carson Wetch or Wetsch , plays for the Hitmen, big RW, no issues with getting dirty, has good hands, be a bit of a project defensively, great edge work, think he`s 6`2 maybe a touch bigger

Reactions: BlackFrancis

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
also like this kid Carson Wetch or Wetsch , plays for the Hitmen, big RW, no issues with getting dirty, has good hands, be a bit of a project defensively, great edge work, think he`s 6`2 maybe a touch bigger
Going to be one of the youngest guys drafted this year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Going to be one of the youngest guys drafted this year.
yep, I`m horrific at guessing rounds but if I were to guess, think would possibly be around in the 3rd round and I`d take a run at in the 2nd , kid works his tail off, B`s would, of course, have to grab a 2nd or 3rd from someone though

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Babajingo

Off Bruins Topic.
What ever happened to the idea of each non-playoff team having the same odds at the draft?
I think its a good idea to stop the tanking. The talent pool is deep enough to support 16ish picks.
Sure, every now and then you get a superstar type player, but it's better than having an EDM, PITT, CHI, ... tanking for 3 years.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

For most Boston fans, the 2022 NBA Finals represented a missed opportunity. For the coaching staff of the Boston University men’s hockey team, it was anything but.

The Celtics had seized a 2-1 lead over the Warriors. A win in Game 4 at TD Garden would have given them a commanding 3-1 edge. But Golden State guard Stephen Curry had other ideas. He lit up the Celtics for 43 points as the Warriors pulled even with a 107-97 win.

Watching that night from Boston was Rick Celebrini, the director of sports medicine and performance for the Warriors. His son Macklin had just completed two seasons playing hockey for Shattuck St. Mary’s in Minnesota, and was set to play for the Chicago Steel in the USHL. Still two years from being draft-eligible, Macklin was already projected to be the No. 1 pick in the 2024 NHL Draft after racking up 258 points in 102 games.

No one was sure that Celebrini was even considering going the college route, but Pereira reached out to his father to see if he was interested in meeting up in between Games 3 and 4.

Rick Celebrini agreed, and went to the BU campus to tour the facilities and meet the coaching staff. He liked what he heard and saw, and agreed to bring the family if the Warriors came back to Boston.

Even as the Terriers captured the Hockey East regular season and postseason crowns en route to a Frozen Four appearance in 2023, the buzz around Macklin was building while he put up 40 goals and 46 assists in 50 games with the Steel.

All signs pointed to a smooth transition to the NCAA game, where he would be facing bigger and older competition.

The Vancouver native has not disappointed in his freshman season, scoring 29 goals to go with 25 assists while centering BU’s top line to lead the NCAA in points per game (1.69) through the regular season — cementing his status as the projected No. 1 pick in June, just two weeks after he turns 18.

Perhaps even more remarkable than his skill level has been his willingness to learn and be coached.

“It’s been a pleasure,” said Pandolfo. “Just his mentality, how he comes to the rink every day wanting to get better. He loves the game, and he’s looking to improve every time he steps on the ice. Every time in the weight room, every time watching video, he’s just always looking to get better. It’s very impressive for a kid that age, with the talent he has.

“From Day 1, you see it just on the ice. He’s a little different, just with everything he can do. Forget the talent. The compete and the work ethic is off the charts. He never takes a drill off. He never takes a rep off. It’s a big reason why he is who he is.”

Celebrini will be doing his thing later this month in the NCAA tournament.

BU, ranked second nationally behind BC, will find out its fate when the bracket is announced March 24, but the Terriers are expected to be a No. 1 seed as they seek a return trip to the Frozen Four.

Celebrini already has shown that he can deliver on the big stage, as he did in the first round of the Beanpot when he scored twice in the first 6:10 to propel BU to a 4-3 win over BC.

“He prepares for every game the same way,” said BU assistant captain Luke Tuch. “Just like in practice; he is elite in practice. I think in practice he goes all out every rep, tries to score as many goals as he can, and then when he gets to the big stage, he stays at the same level, and he just stands out.

“He’s got a swagger to him on the ice, and you really want the puck on his stick.”

He could be bringing that swagger to the NHL as soon as next season. At 6 feet, 190 pounds, he has the size to go along with the skill to suggest he may be ready to make the jump, although growing pains certainly will be expected.

It also may depend on which organization he ends up with. The Chicago Blackhawks and San Jose Sharks find themselves at the bottom of the standings and figure to be in the mix for the No. 1 pick. If the timing isn’t right and an organization isn’t ready to bring him in right away, Celebrini could opt to return to the Terriers and play one more season with Aiden.

But that’s a topic for down the road. For now, he’s embracing the college game, and the turn of events that led him to BU. Perhaps it would have turned out differently had the Celtics lost Game 7 of the 2022 Eastern Conference finals in Miami, and it was the Heat facing the Warriors in the Finals instead.

The young phenom smiles when presented with that scenario. It’s safe to say Celebrini was not going to be taking his talents to South Beach to play for the University of Miami’s club team.

“I hadn’t thought about that,” said Celebrini. “Everything happens for a reason. It was destined that I come here, and I’ve loved every second of being here.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad