HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Well if you look at Kelowna’s GWG in Game 4, it was Tij that went directly to the net and screened the goalie. So while he didn’t get a point, I doubt the goal goes in without his involvement. That’s the difference between the two.
That is how you value the need to draft him? going to the net? really...?

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That is how you value the need to draft him? going to the net? really...?
Where did I say anything about drafting him in my post? I’m just pointing out the difference between the two. He made an impact play that doesn’t show up on his stat sheet. That’s part of his draw.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
How do others compare Iginla to Ryan Leonard last year? Think I preferred Leonard.
Me too by far, superior skater, better playmaker, great shot, great progression, high compete level and some nastyness in him. I love Iginla, especially his intensity and ability to protect the puck but his skating give me pause.

In the end both are not playdriver but amazing complementary piece for a top team.

Reactions: Locks and Gustave

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
How do others compare Iginla to Ryan Leonard last year? Think I preferred Leonard.
Leonard is a mad man that attacks puck carriers and the front of the net, always with a high motor. Iginla is a sniper that’s not afraid of the dirty areas. They aren’t really comparable. I think MBN is more like Leonard.

Reactions: Locks

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Well...he did fall to #12 for North American skaters in NHL Central Scouting's final rankings after being at #8 mid-year and at #2 at the beginning of the season.

Meh, Ill wait for McKenzie's final rankings. At least those are NHL scouts with the perspective of their respective GMs.

I've always had a hard time when a 17 year old elite sniper falls from grace for not developping a complete game.

Like sure, let's not draft Cole Caufield because he loses coverage in his own end too much.

Reactions: Rozz

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'm thinking he should have another season in Liiga given how much his game progressed this past season with Jukurit. This would also give him an opportunity to be a key player for Finland at the WJC.
Jukurit's coach is moving to Timra in the SHL next season from what I've read (I think it was mentioned in the Kapanen thread). Might not be quite the same thing if Helenius returns there.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Jukurit's coach is moving to Timra in the SHL next season from what I've read (I think it was mentioned in the Kapanen thread). Might not be quite the same thing if Helenius returns there.
Interesting. I believe Helenius' coach in Jukurit was long-time NHL'er Ollie Jokinen.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Leonard is a mad man that attacks puck carriers and the front of the net, always with a high motor. Iginla is a sniper that’s not afraid of the dirty areas. They aren’t really comparable. I think MBN is more like Leonard.
Great comparison. MBN is a much more comparable to Leonard.

About Iginla/Leonard i’d still take Iginla over Leonard even if i liked him a lot last year. For the simple reason that Iginla has so much space to grow still, physically and in other aspects of his game. He’s one of the youngest in the draft. He is gonna play his 18 yr old season next year.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Meh, Ill wait for McKenzie's final rankings. At least those are NHL scouts with the perspective of their respective GMs.

I've always had a hard time when a 17 year old elite sniper falls from grace for not developping a complete game.

Like sure, let's not draft Cole Caufield because he loses coverage in his own end too much.
It’s not just about developing a complete game. It’s about compete, playmaking, physicality. It wouldn’t matter much if he didn’t play a two-way game but was also an elite skater to go along with the sniping. Unfortunately all he has is a shot. That’s not going to get you far in this league. Look at Wahlstrom.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It’s not just about developing a complete game. It’s about compete, playmaking, physicality. It wouldn’t matter much if he didn’t play a two-way game but was also an elite skater to go along with the sniping. Unfortunately all he has is a shot. That’s not going to get you far in this league. Look at Wahlstrom.
it's funny to me the most important piece Eiserman is lacking IMO is not his skating but his compete and level of engagement. For instance, Jason Robertson was an elite goalscorer with average skating but he was very competitive. The worst part is that competitiveness is not truly teachable you either have it or not. I still believe he is a NHL player his shot is just too good but I have a hard time seeing him pulling his team when it matters. A true complementary piece, his game remind me Kaliyev who has similar abilities and warts.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Honestly all of celebrini, demidov, lindstrom, catton, iginla would be excellent adds for the organization. We’re picking in a good spot and guaranteed to at least get one of those guys. I trust the org to do their due diligence on injury history, attitude, etc.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Eiserman has a wicked shot and can certainly score but he isn't as elusive as Caufield. He's more like a Hoffman to me.

The big knock on him is his compete level. We'll see how many teams pass on him. He certainly has a big name and is highly skilled but we've seen big names fall at the draft table the last two years. You'd hate to spend an early pick and have him become the next Wahlstrom.

I'd be surprised to see a rebuilding team take him in the top 5.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Eiserman has a wicked shot and can certainly score but he isn't as elusive as Caufield. He's more like a Hoffman to me.

The big knock on him is his compete level. We'll see how many teams pass on him. He certainly has a big name and is highly skilled but we've seen big names fall at the draft table the last two years. You'd hate to spend an early pick and have him become the next Wahlstrom.

Hoffman is who I've compared him to as well. I'm sure he'll put up 30 but I don't think I'd take him until the mid 1st

Reactions: Schooner Guy

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

I would need to add that for all the critics regarding Caufield and his two way games and all he is still miles ahead of Eiserman in term of complete/competitive game. Basically with Eiserman he is the ultimate floater/perimeter player, never going to retrieve puck, never try to get to the dirty area, he is always looking for one thing and it's shooting from the same spot. It's quite funny to watch full game of him, you see the size, the hands, the shot and you are wondering how in hell this guy does not compete harder he could be the ultimate star player but no, he is letting his teammates do the hard work and wait to get a pass for a shot.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
it's funny to me the most important piece Eiserman is lacking IMO is not his skating but his compete and level of engagement. For instance, Jason Robertson was an elite goalscorer with average skating but he was very competitive. The worst part is that competitiveness is not truly teachable you either have it or not. I still believe he is a NHL player his shot is just too good but I have a hard time seeing him pulling his team when it matters. A true complementary piece, his game remind me Kaliyev who has similar abilities and warts.

Kaliyev is pretty much the one I was also thinking about, those can be hit or misses, either they're useful because they score, either they're thinking too hard about why they're not scoring and are just floating around.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Well if you look at Kelowna’s GWG in Game 4, it was Tij that went directly to the net and screened the goalie. So while he didn’t get a point, I doubt the goal goes in without his involvement. That’s the difference between the two.
If you look at PG's 2nd goal in game 2, it was Tij who directly turned the puck over at the blue line on the PP leading to a SHG against. That's another difference between the two.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Should’ve took Leonard last year and drafted Buium, Levshonov or Perekh this year
shoulda drafted Tkatchuk instead of KK (but then we wouldn't have ended up with Slaf/Hutson most likely) etc etc, shoulda woulda coulda

it's easy to talk in hindsight and it's only been 1 year, give it at least 5 years to see how these 2 drafts pan out

Reactions: Troyp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad